PDA

View Full Version : swimming?

straightXed
09-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Does anyone here swim regularly? This last month i have been going 2 or 3 times a week and really enjoying it. I am just off to the pool now for a couple of hours or so, its a great work out and so much more enjoyable than running, i think it might actually make me run a lot less than i do.

SgtD
09-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Does anyone here swim regularly? This last month i have been going 2 or 3 times a week and really enjoying it. I am just off to the pool now for a couple of hours or so, its a great work out and so much more enjoyable than running, i think it might actually make me run a lot less than i do.

i only like swimming in the summer.

straightXed
09-20-2008, 02:42 PM
i only like swimming in the summer.

It is a great thing to do on a hot day.

rodrigo
09-20-2008, 03:09 PM
i dont know how to swimm, i mean i can stay floating, but i really suck at it

xsecx
09-20-2008, 04:39 PM

you should probably learn because drowning would suck.

straightXed
09-20-2008, 04:45 PM

I haven't been swimming for ages, i was pretty crap when i got back in the pool. Luckily i was taught when i was young as my father thought it was important. I think its pretty important too and its not to hard to learn, its well worth it in my opinion.

rodrigo
09-20-2008, 04:53 PM
you should probably learn because drowning would suck.

I haven't been swimming for ages, i was pretty crap when i got back in the pool. Luckily i was taught when i was young as my father thought it was important. I think its pretty important too and its not to hard to learn, its well worth it in my opinion.

yeah, i know, but pools are kind of expensive over here and most of them are only open during summer, so maybe this summer i'll give it a shot

straightXed
09-20-2008, 06:36 PM
yeah, i know, but pools are kind of expensive over here and most of them are only open during summer, so maybe this summer i'll give it a shot

That sucks, is there any outdoor swim spots or anything? I saw a cool book here about wild swimming which just lists lots of different places you can swim in the UK, just wonder if you have any spots like that?

rodrigo
09-20-2008, 07:29 PM
That sucks, is there any outdoor swim spots or anything? I saw a cool book here about wild swimming which just lists lots of different places you can swim in the UK, just wonder if you have any spots like that?

yeah, but outside my city, so its not like i can go that often

swallow
09-21-2008, 02:47 AM
I can't swim very well neither, which is weird because Finland is "the land of thousand lakes", our house is almost ashore, our summer cabin is almost ashore and we have like.. 10 lakes in 10 kms radius from our house.

I just hate swimming in a lake. And haven't done it for two-three years.

straightXed
09-21-2008, 08:01 AM
I can't swim very well neither, which is weird because Finland is "the land of thousand lakes", our house is almost ashore, our summer cabin is almost ashore and we have like.. 10 lakes in 10 kms radius from our house.

I love swimming in lakes and it sounds like you live in a really awesome location.

xsecx
09-21-2008, 08:09 AM
I love swimming in lakes and it sounds like you live in a really awesome location.

sounds to me like it'd most likely be cold as hell.

straightXed
09-21-2008, 08:32 AM

Not something you'd want to do then?

xsecx
09-21-2008, 08:36 AM
Not something you'd want to do then?

given the climate that I'm accustomed to, oh hells no.

straightXed
09-21-2008, 08:53 AM
given the climate that I'm accustomed to, oh hells no.

Its meant to be really exhilerating, i'd love to give it a go.

mouseman004
09-21-2008, 10:57 PM

I can't swim in Lakes or the Ocean. I have an irrational fear of deep water.... (however this only applies to natural bodies of water, I am fine with deep pools)

rodrigo
09-21-2008, 11:03 PM
I can't swim in Lakes or the Ocean. I have an irrational fear of deep water.... (however this only applies to natural bodies of water, I am fine with deep pools)

i dont think thats irrational. that shit IS scary

swallow
09-22-2008, 06:30 AM

Well, water in the lake in summer is usually like.. 20-24*C and in the wintertime it's frozen. It's too cold for me, anyway.

Same thing with here! I hate even to be in a ship.

D1988
09-22-2008, 07:05 AM
Swimming is OK, but I am not very good at it.

Like you Ed, I can remember when I was younger, my dad thought it was really important that me and my brother learned how to swim, so he showed us.

No way would you catch me swimming in a loch here in Scotland though, far too cold for my liking.

I wish the lochs still froze here in winter.....

optimismdefeats
12-29-2008, 04:57 AM
I am going to go swimming once every three weeks so that will be good. I don't get to go often but now I will be able to. I need things like that cos it's healthy and fun.

CarlaRant
12-29-2008, 12:55 PM
When I was doing physical rehabilitation, I was required to swim 3 days a week. I love it, but I don't have a gym membership and the community pool is only open during the summer months, despite living in Phoenix, where it's at least 70 degrees 10 months out of the year.

xmichaelxlilunx
05-09-2009, 06:42 AM
i enjoy swimming and im kinda an amateur swimmer
(im in the swim team in my skl)
i swim like 29s 50m freestyle
considering the amount of practice i hav every week (60 mins) and im only 15
my time its ok
swimming is really fun and great workout tho
i can do it everyday if its not training-like lol

straightXed
05-09-2009, 08:06 AM
i enjoy swimming and im kinda an amateur swimmer
(im in the swim team in my skl)
i swim like 29s 50m freestyle
considering the amount of practice i hav every week (60 mins) and im only 15
my time its ok
swimming is really fun and great workout tho
i can do it everyday if its not training-like lol

I have been swimming loads recently, my times aren't amazing but i am swimming a lot further. I can manage about a mile and a half at the moment and could keep going longer but i don't want to over do it, plus i'm trying to concentrate on good technique.

xmichaelxlilunx
05-09-2009, 10:50 AM
I have been swimming loads recently, my times aren't amazing but i am swimming a lot further. I can manage about a mile and a half at the moment and could keep going longer but i don't want to over do it, plus i'm trying to concentrate on good technique.

endurance is my weakness :(
thats why i cant swim 100ms in competition
well in my skl's swimming team we normally swim 2000m per practice (60 mins)
but that was like hell
i get headaches after

straightXed
05-09-2009, 01:35 PM
endurance is my weakness :(
thats why i cant swim 100ms in competition
well in my skl's swimming team we normally swim 2000m per practice (60 mins)
but that was like hell
i get headaches after

More practice, swim 3 times a week and you will really improve vastly.

hatley
03-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Hope you are still doing the swimming thing. Its kind of a life sport. I did the competitive thing in high school...butterfly. Got burnt out, now its a conditioning/ x-training thing for me.
Three times a week our tri-group is in the pool.
Mon-
4x100 M
200 M

Wed-
2X 100 M (2x)
300M

Fri-
400 M
100M

Great total body workout.

easy
03-24-2010, 03:22 PM

for some reason as im flipping through this thread this made me laugh pretty hard...
i wish i could swim regularly... especially in a bay or ocean to make it extra difficult but arlington virginia is lacking the right climate and the water. maybe upon my return to manila but even there id have to travel to find water =[

Lifestyle_X
04-01-2010, 10:43 AM
I never saw this thread, weird. I'm starting to swim regularly, I didn't do much sports after I broke my elbow last summer. I'm back on my skateboard now, but swimming is the real deal. My mom goes 3 or 4 times a week to the pool. With school etc I only go twice a week. 45 minutes of pure swimming and I feel great ! It's a good work-out, perfect for my condition. I need to do it more often, I've only been doing this for a week. But tomorrow I'm off again to the pool ! Oh yeah, 2 weeks of vacation (working hard for school..) starting tomorrow, gonna swim (and study) so much more. It's indeed way more enjoyable than running/jogging.