PDA

View Full Version : Throwdown's Cigar

xXfartknockerXx
04-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Hey kids,

I aint trying to open up a can of worms on who's straight edge, how edge, hardcore or not core, but I was wondering if any of you know the story (if there is a story) behind the dude smoking a cigar in the Throwdown "Vendeta" booklet?

Jack
xSOBERx

xXfartknockerXx
04-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Sorry, nevermind, I did some googling and found the topic has been beat to death. I just wanted to see if their fans made a stink about it.

Jack
xSOBERx

SgtD
04-02-2008, 01:37 AM
I have to say this: I never cared about this band, after I heard one of their albums back when they were "huge". I thought they were a joke band like GCF. (I think they even had a split)

D1988
04-02-2008, 02:37 AM
They don't have any original members in Throwdown at all, and they now sound like Pantera. Band sucks.

I am guessing a dude in an apparently straight edge band smoking a cigar was a joke?

SgtD
04-02-2008, 04:18 AM
They don't have any original members in Throwdown at all, and they now sound like Pantera. Band sucks.

I am guessing a dude in an apparently straight edge band smoking a cigar was a joke?
appearantly not.
http://sxe.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3781&page=5&highlight=throwdown+cigar

PROPER JERK
04-02-2008, 05:00 AM
Pantera rules, throwdown never has and never will.

straightXed
04-02-2008, 06:08 AM
I have to say this: I never cared about this band, after I heard one of their albums back when they were "huge". I thought they were a joke band like GCF. (I think they even had a split)

I have that split somewhere, its crap.

xXfartknockerXx
04-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Ya think this picture I found is a joke?

http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=messageboard.viewThread&groupID=100010941&page=1&EntryID=6526961&CategoryID=0&get=1&adTopicId=0&lastpagesent=0&Mytoken=DB7321D8-1BD0-478A-8B6F1FA50ED3A3F28261074

xsecx
04-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Ya think this picture I found is a joke?

http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=messageboard.viewThread&groupID=100010941&page=1&EntryID=6526961&CategoryID=0&get=1&adTopicId=0&lastpagesent=0&Mytoken=DB7321D8-1BD0-478A-8B6F1FA50ED3A3F28261074

if it is, then it's a really lame one. They've been trying for years to grow past the label of being a straight edge band, so that would kind of go hand in hand with it.

D1988
04-03-2008, 02:48 AM
if it is, then it's a really lame one. They've been trying for years to grow past the label of being a straight edge band, so that would kind of go hand in hand with it.

Whats even funnier is that some kid thinks they sold out because he is pictured with a beer tin. How can holding a beer tin mean you sold out?

xsecx
04-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Whats even funnier is that some kid thinks they sold out because he is pictured with a beer tin. How can holding a beer tin mean you sold out?

because the implication is that they're drinking it. I don't know many people that pose with cans of beer unless they're drinking them.

mouseman004
04-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Going to see throwdown May 10th!!!!!

Actually, I am going to the show because I love Killswitch Engage. I really couldn't care any less for throwdown anymore. I haven't touched a throwdown album in over a year.

D1988
04-03-2008, 08:52 AM
because the implication is that they're drinking it. I don't know many people that pose with cans of beer unless they're drinking them.

Yeah, but he is obviously standing with a beer tin and a big cheesy smile because he knows people will see the picture and question it because he is supposed to be straight edge. I personally think there is more chance of that picture being a complete joke rather than it being a serious picture where the dude is happily swigging a beer and posing to have his picture taken.

xsecx
04-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Yeah, but he is obviously standing with a beer tin and a big cheesy smile because he knows people will see the picture and question it because he is supposed to be straight edge. I personally think there is more chance of that picture being a complete joke rather than it being a serious picture where the dude is happily swigging a beer and posing to have his picture taken.

why? I've got 0 faith in anyone connected with throwdown having any sort of clue and I've also have no reason to think that picture is a joke.

D1988
04-03-2008, 09:18 AM
why? I've got 0 faith in anyone connected with throwdown having any sort of clue and I've also have no reason to think that picture is a joke.

The dude in said picture was one of the founding members, and he did happen to leave shortly after they stopped speaking about straight edge and went even worse than before. I don't actually know or really care if the dude is straight edge anymore and I don't know if that picture is a joke or not, I would just guess there is more chance of it being a joke than being serious.

xsecx
04-03-2008, 09:19 AM
The dude in said picture was one of the founding members, and he did happen to leave shortly after they stopped speaking about straight edge and went even worse than before. I don't actually know or really care if the dude is straight edge anymore and I don't know if that picture is a joke or not, I would just guess there is more chance of it being a joke than being serious.

why is there more of a chance of it being a joke?

D1988
04-03-2008, 09:27 AM
why is there more of a chance of it being a joke?

I think this because the dude was straight edge, was in quite a big band at the time, if he was going to sell out I don't see him doing in that fashion. I mean come on, if you were in a band touring the world and shit, and you sold out, you wouldn't stand posing with a big stupid smile with a tin of beer so that all of your fans would see it and immediately start posting shit all over the internet.

Maybe I am giving too much credit on how this guy actually is as a person, maybe I should just assume that the dude really did sell out and then didn't give a shit about posing with a beer tin and rubbing it in the face of everyone who ever actually believed in what he stood for? in short, maybe he is an asshole and I am giving him to much credit.

But yeah from those 2 "options" I would assume it's a joke rather than the second thing I said.

xsecx
04-03-2008, 10:53 AM
I think this because the dude was straight edge, was in quite a big band at the time, if he was going to sell out I don't see him doing in that fashion. I mean come on, if you were in a band touring the world and shit, and you sold out, you wouldn't stand posing with a big stupid smile with a tin of beer so that all of your fans would see it and immediately start posting shit all over the internet.

Maybe I am giving too much credit on how this guy actually is as a person, maybe I should just assume that the dude really did sell out and then didn't give a shit about posing with a beer tin and rubbing it in the face of everyone who ever actually believed in what he stood for? in short, maybe he is an asshole and I am giving him to much credit.

But yeah from those 2 "options" I would assume it's a joke rather than the second thing I said.

2 words dude. carry on.

D1988
04-03-2008, 01:20 PM
2 words dude. carry on.

?

xsecx
04-03-2008, 01:27 PM
?

dude sold out.

xdoylex
04-08-2008, 01:22 AM
It's projecting an image. Thats enough for me. Its the same with the kids that drink O'Douls. Yeah there's alcohol in that, even more so, its an image. If you want to drink, drink.

The ironic edge jokes are way worn out. Its not clever now, and it wasn't then.

xsecx
04-08-2008, 08:54 AM
It's projecting an image. Thats enough for me. Its the same with the kids that drink O'Douls. Yeah there's alcohol in that, even more so, its an image. If you want to drink, drink.

The ironic edge jokes are way worn out. Its not clever now, and it wasn't then.

this is actually a better way of stating it than I did.