PDA

View Full Version : ...sXe vs hXc...

me_without_u
11-25-2003, 12:31 PM
...i just wonder... can a guy who doesn`t smoke/drink/dope and stuff be called a sXe-kid if he isn`t a part of hc-crew, he doesn`t listen 2 hc or emo or whatever...so ...this is a rather serious question...and i need a definate answer ;)))
...as for me...imho sXe is a part of hc...and nothin else...if it`s not then call it "purity of mind `n`soul" for example...or as u like it...anythin` but sXe!!!)))

xsecx
11-25-2003, 12:47 PM
being straight edge require more than being drug free. it involves hardcore. it's pretty simple. drug free + hardcore=straight edge.

straightXed
11-25-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by xsecx
being straight edge require more than being drug free. it involves hardcore. it's pretty simple. drug free + hardcore=straight edge.

wow, maths or is that math?

xsecx
11-26-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by straightXed
wow, maths or is that math?

it's new math.

xGHx
11-28-2003, 02:34 PM
I've never seen hardcore as being the only thing that is sXe. too much "hardcore" or noisecore/metalcore/gaycore etc has people in it who drink, smoke and fuck. So, I don't think that being hardcore makes a difference. Remember, sXe started from the punk scene.

www.xGHx.com
www.rant-off.com

xsecx
11-28-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by xGHx
I've never seen hardcore as being the only thing that is sXe. too much "hardcore" or noisecore/metalcore/gaycore etc has people in it who drink, smoke and fuck. So, I don't think that being hardcore makes a difference. Remember, sXe started from the punk scene.

www.xGHx.com
www.rant-off.com

except that it didn't. sXe started as a response to the punk scene in the hardcore scene that was starting at the same time.

me_without_u
11-29-2003, 08:40 AM
xsecx, i agree with u...sXe is within the bounds of hc!)

xGHx - a nice nickname... in moscow we`ve got a hc-band GxHx who sing in english and don`t arrange gigs ...they are too glamour 2 play i suppose or something...fuckin` conspiratorial snobs!!!

me_without_u
11-29-2003, 09:04 AM
for GxHx try http://www.geocities.com/ghthrashcore/disco.htm :)

Kreepy_klown
11-30-2003, 02:33 AM
im not even going to digifine that with an ancer

xsecx
11-30-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Kreepy_klown

huh?

I'm guessing you mean dignify that with an answer but if that's the case, why even post?

Sean The Red
12-04-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Kreepy_klown

isnt saying the act of saying you "wont dignify it with an answer," infact, dignifying it, with an answer

x broadway x
12-12-2003, 07:30 PM
Straight edge doesn't even have anything to do with Hardcore music.

PolkaXcore for life.

xDOUGxDIGGLERx
12-12-2003, 07:53 PM
"our worst enemies"
"the judean peoples front?!?!?!?!"
"what about the people front of judea?"

dude we are what we feel, i just can't stand pigeon holing. i thought all this was about not following the herd, so its a bit of a contradiction that we are making ourselves part of a group.

xsecx
12-12-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by x broadway x
Straight edge doesn't even have anything to do with Hardcore music.

PolkaXcore for life.

since when? and I also find it hard that anyone claiming to represent the courage crew would say anything this retarded.

xvunderx
12-12-2003, 09:37 PM
PolkaXcore for life. [/B]

That shit was stupid when it started, and it's stupid now. I don't even think any one using that even remembers where it came from.

x broadway x
12-12-2003, 09:48 PM
since when? and I also find it hard that anyone claiming to represent the courage crew would say anything this retarded.

When straight edge started, was their any indications that it had to be tied in with hardcore? I think not.

xsecx
12-12-2003, 09:49 PM
When straight edge started, was their any indications that it had to be tied in with hardcore? I think not.

who started straight edge?
where did straight edge start?
in what scene did straight edge grow?

straight edge is hardcore you idiot.
and I'm definitely calling bullshit on your being in courage crew now.

x broadway x
12-12-2003, 09:56 PM
1. Jeff Nelson of Minor Threat
2. DC area
3. You're right, in the hardcore scene...BUT just because it was started in the hardcore scene doesn't mean it has to be all about hardcore. The views have changed over the course of these 23 some odd years, some believe that you're not truly straight edge unless you listen to hardcore and some feel otherwise.

If it'll make you happy, i'll remove the couragexcrew thing from my signature.

xsecx
12-12-2003, 09:59 PM
1. Jeff Nelson of Minor Threat
2. DC area
3. You're right, in the hardcore scene...BUT just because it was started in the hardcore scene doesn't mean it has to be all about hardcore. The views have changed over the course of these 23 some odd years, some believe that you're not truly straight edge unless you listen to hardcore and some feel otherwise.

If it'll make you happy, i'll remove the couragexcrew thing from my signature.

jeff nelson named it. a bunch of hardcore kids started it . just like a bunch of people keep it going on.

why doesn't it have to be all about hardcore? IT's what it is. It's where it came from, it's what kept it alive, it's what makes it unique and special. you take away hardcore you don't have anything unique or special. How have these views changed? Where has it grown outside of hardcore except for a couple of websites here and there? Where can you go and be sure you'll meet straight edge kids in any city in the country and for the most part, the world?

x broadway x
12-12-2003, 10:03 PM
It's already unique in it's own sense, adding a style of music doesn't change the purpose of straight edge.

I won't argue with you, you can believe that straight edge does revolve around hardcore and i'll continue to believe that it doesn't.

xsecx
12-12-2003, 10:04 PM
It's already unique in it's own sense, adding a style of music doesn't change the purpose of straight edge.

I won't argue with you, you can believe that straight edge does revolve around hardcore and i'll continue to believe that it doesn't.

you didn't answer the question.

it's already unique in it's own sense, because of hardcore. You can't add something to what it already is.

x broadway x
12-12-2003, 10:06 PM
When I got into straight edge, I didn't associate it at all with hardcore, I've only recently been listening to hardcore over the course of the past 6 months and i've been straight edge for 6 years.

xsecx
12-12-2003, 10:08 PM
When I got into straight edge, I didn't associate it at all with hardcore, I've only recently been listening to hardcore over the course of the past 6 months and i've been straight edge for 6 years.

then how were you straight edge? and how did you get into straight edge without hardcore?

and why did you lie about being in courage crew?

x broadway x
12-12-2003, 10:12 PM
How was I straight edge? hmm..not drinking, smoking, promiscuous sex. You just can't get off the hole straight edge isn't straight edge without hardcore thing can you? Well straight edge is the same to me that it is to everyone else, and I don't base it off of hardcore.

I'm just repeating myself. I guess the courage crew where you are is different than the one here.

straightXed
12-13-2003, 05:24 AM
How was I straight edge? hmm..not drinking, smoking, promiscuous sex. You just can't get off the hole straight edge isn't straight edge without hardcore thing can you? Well straight edge is the same to me that it is to everyone else, and I don't base it off of hardcore.

I'm just repeating myself. I guess the courage crew where you are is different than the one here.

Surely you are just drug free until you start to involve the hardcore element, you can't negate the fact that straight edge would not exist without hardcore. to call yourself straightedge without taking the full embodiment of it on is simply taking it out of context. it has a full history that is found in hardcore, where is the credible examples of straight edge outside of hardcore?

What is the courage crew like where you are?

hi i'm ed by the way.

xsecx
12-13-2003, 08:01 AM

straight edge was never just a set of beliefs especially not since those beliefs are not unique. it's a subculture. Not drinking, smoking or fucking doesn't make you straight edge. involvement in straight edge makes you straight edge. And you still didn't answer the question on how you became straight edge, you just said what you didn't do.

oh yeah, and if straight edge has nothing to do with hardcore, what the fuck do you think your avatar is about?

xvunderx
12-13-2003, 08:19 AM

Ok, so Mormons are edge, recovering alcoholics are edge, Buddhists are edge, and Harold Bishop is edge?

Drug free is every where, not sleeping around is every where, Straightedge is a subculture that has these things as some of it's elements, but not all. Hardcore is where the people are, hardcore is where it has been kept alive, and how it has spread, and how the scene develpoed, and hardcore is what seperates it from the rest.

xsecx
12-13-2003, 01:29 PM
I love trial.

how can I make a difference when all the odds are stacked up against me?
"why bother - why even try?" - I hear it so often I could start to believe but I'll never stand back and let those words take away my strength or watch crisis turn to convention because out of sight means out of mind to you drowning in ignorance - absorbed by fear this is a culture of disrespect and I stand by the side of those of we've condemned all around are those we've condemned truth denied to those shattered lives of those we've condemned ourselves to live in a world we don't understand
as molds of the marketplace and as pawns in the game there's no escape from a value system where drugs and sex are bait to the masses the life we're sold leaves us with nothing - refuse to accept it - our lives are worth more and at least I'll make an effort to let my voice be heard in a culture of disrespect and I stand by the side of those we've condemned all around are those we've condemned
truth denied to those shattered lives of those we've condemned
time and time again I wonder if I'm the only one who feels lost within our system with no mind, no life, no words, no voice
my soul on trial - my back against the wall but your dream means nothing to me and I will watch it fall

xDOUGxDIGGLERx
12-13-2003, 02:15 PM
who started straight edge?

jesus started christianity, but look how many differnt ways that has been interpreted.

would you say one of them is right and the rest are wrong?

i am straight edge in the way that it suits me, no drink, no drugs, no fags and no sleeping around, i like rock music and all types, and i like to mosh, but i aint gonna get into bands that i may not like just because of my views on drugs.

don't stab me for that, i may like straight edge bands.

i thought we gave up drugs to be free, we aint exactly free when we have to form some uniform herd.

straightXed
12-13-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by xvunderx
Ok, so Mormons are edge, recovering alcoholics are edge, Buddhists are edge, and Harold Bishop is edge?

Drug free is every where, not sleeping around is every where, Straightedge is a subculture that has these things as some of it's elements, but not all. Hardcore is where the people are, hardcore is where it has been kept alive, and how it has spread, and how the scene develpoed, and hardcore is what seperates it from the rest.

Harold bishop is edge and you can't say he isn't.

xsecx
12-13-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by xDOUGxDIGGLERx
jesus started christianity, but look how many differnt ways that has been interpreted.

would you say one of them is right and the rest are wrong?

i am straight edge in the way that it suits me, no drink, no drugs, no fags and no sleeping around, i like rock music and all types, and i like to mosh, but i aint gonna get into bands that i may not like just because of my views on drugs.

don't stab me for that, i may like straight edge bands.

i thought we gave up drugs to be free, we aint exactly free when we have to form some uniform herd.

yeah, but there is more to straight edge than no drink, no drugs, no smoking and no sleeping around. While one part is what we believe, the rest is what we do. What else we have in common beyond what we don't do.

xDOUGxDIGGLERx
12-13-2003, 06:39 PM
well its a shame, i thought i would find people with the same thought on here, but it seems like you have to go though a screening process to be seen as part of the SXE.

like christianity SXE will divide into differnt forms, because thats what humans are, different.

and how wrong is it when protestants fight catholics?

i admit its on a smaller scale but its the same principle.

"come gather round peopole wherever you roam,
and admit that the waters around you have grown,
and that you may well soon be drenched to the bone,
for the land is rapidly aging.

for the times they are all changing" BOB DYLAN

just loosen up everyone

xsecx
12-13-2003, 07:24 PM
well its a shame, i thought i would find people with the same thought on here, but it seems like you have to go though a screening process to be seen as part of the SXE.

like christianity SXE will divide into differnt forms, because thats what humans are, different.

and how wrong is it when protestants fight catholics?

i admit its on a smaller scale but its the same principle.

"come gather round peopole wherever you roam,
and admit that the waters around you have grown,
and that you may well soon be drenched to the bone,
for the land is rapidly aging.

for the times they are all changing" BOB DYLAN

just loosen up everyone

that is part of being straight edge though. there are already loads of groups that are drug free. and they have divided. one of them is straight edge. straight edge isn't a catch all term to describe everyone that doesn't do 3 things. That's how it has always been. Now people want to co-opt to describe them rather than either 1) actually becoming straight edge or 2) coming up with something new to describe themselves more accurately. What you're asking for and wanting is a term that is so watered down it doesn't actually mean anything unique, special or different in a sea of other groups.

XfistX
12-21-2003, 04:06 PM

well, i dont see what music would have to do with it. its stayin off drugs not music.

xDOUGxDIGGLERx
12-21-2003, 04:51 PM
well its seems like it makes all the difference.

straightXed
12-21-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by XfistX
well, i dont see what music would have to do with it. its stayin off drugs not music.

Staying off drugs is just being drug free, straightedge is interwined with hardcore, there is no escaping that.

xDOUGxDIGGLERx
12-23-2003, 06:37 AM
there are christians that don't visit church, don't pray before meals, listen to satanic metal, be gay, masterbate, have sex before marriage, steal, lie, cheat, watch 'life of brian', commit adultery and do all them really 'un-christian' things.

well they only pray when they visit church which may only be at XMAS, christenings, funerals and weddings.

and still they are CHRISTIAN

will people be forgiven for not listening to certain types of music?

don't get me wrong i love hardcore music, i just think people should be free to listen to what they want.

the only reason music is divided into genres is so you can find it easier in music shops.

i wouldn't want to find 'machine head' next to 'madonna'

would you say 'system of a down' is metal or ethnic?
they play loud music with high distorion to an ethnic beat

also

would you call 'limp bizkit' rap or metal?
they play loud music with high distorion to a rap beat

so therefore there is no black and white divide in what a straightedge band is, so you may as well listen no what you fucking like.

DUDE THAT WAS SOME RANT, I NEVER KNEW WHERE TO STOP.

straightXed
12-23-2003, 10:30 AM
there are christians that don't visit church, don't pray before meals, listen to satanic metal, be gay, masterbate, have sex before marriage, steal, lie, cheat, watch 'life of brian', commit adultery and do all them really 'un-christian' things.

well they only pray when they visit church which may only be at XMAS, christenings, funerals and weddings.

and still they are CHRISTIAN

will people be forgiven for not listening to certain types of music?

don't get me wrong i love hardcore music, i just think people should be free to listen to what they want.

the only reason music is divided into genres is so you can find it easier in music shops.

i wouldn't want to find 'machine head' next to 'madonna'

would you say 'system of a down' is metal or ethnic?
they play loud music with high distorion to an ethnic beat

also

would you call 'limp bizkit' rap or metal?
they play loud music with high distorion to a rap beat

so therefore there is no black and white divide in what a straightedge band is, so you may as well listen no what you fucking like.

DUDE THAT WAS SOME RANT, I NEVER KNEW WHERE TO STOP.

People are free to listen to what they want theres nothing saying you can't, its just that straightedge is intertwined with hardcore, i listen to all sorts but without hardcore none of us would know straightedge.

And for your christian annalogy to work i think you would maybe need to make the comparisome of the christian to a hardcore kid, the good word of god could i suppose be the bands although zines also play a part in the scene, no one says you have to straightedge to listen to hardcore do they. The same with christians, i mean they don't all believe or follow the bible word for word but are still refered to as christians. Now straightedge is a sub culture from hardcore thats where it comes from so to know it is to have some idea of hardcore. to remove elements of what it is intended will make it void of what it really is. I mean you seem to be able to remove the idea of it being about hardcore but what happens if we remove the drinking aspect of it? i mean you talk about christianity but its a very different thing, so its quite a stretch to make annalogys, but how about a christian monk who lives the word of god and of the bible what would it mean if he were to do all the un christian things you mentioned? it would kinda kill the impression monks give right? Now please i am not suggesting straight edge kids are like monks here but its slightly more accurate if you were to try to compare the two.

Straightedge bands are hardcore bands made up of straightedge kids and being straightedge doesn't mean you have to like them all or listen to just that but if you are gonna say straightedge instead of drug free then you are always going to be refering to hardcore in respect.

This too was a rant, thanks for your time.

xDOUGxDIGGLERx
12-23-2003, 05:55 PM
this movement is about being sober ourselves and proving to others that intoxicating substances are not nessessary am I right? so then they follow and eventually the world will cease to need chemicals to have a good time.

so thats one thing it stands for

but the other thing...

... is about the music.

sorry but if we were listening to this music then it would be very boring, i say be glad that you like somthing thats so unique.

straightXed
12-23-2003, 06:54 PM
this movement is about being sober ourselves and proving to others that intoxicating substances are not nessessary am I right? so then they follow and eventually the world will cease to need chemicals to have a good time.

but the other thing...

... is about the music.

sorry but if we were listening to this music then it would be very boring, i say be glad that you like somthing thats so unique.

What? i didn't understand that last bit are you saying hardcore is boring? after saying you love it?

The truth is a lot of people will always use chemicals, straight edge is not going to change that, people have been doing chemicals scince forever, there are belief systems based on the use of chemicals different cultures are what makes the world what it is. Because we think its right not to use chemicals only makes it right for us and the world is not gonna change to follow that. i think its more about being you for you and not trying to fit in, a lot of people try hard to fit the label straightedge and i don't see why.

xsecx
12-29-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by XfistX

then you don't understand what straight edge really is then since you're only aware of one part of it.

xsecx
12-29-2003, 08:25 AM

but the other thing...

... is about the music.

drug free is the message. hardcore is the medium. It's a really basic thing. if you want to find straight edge kids anywhere in the world. go to a hardcore show. this is a universal truth.