PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts

xpatchxrojasx
06-09-2007, 07:08 AM
anyone in here in to martial arts? =D im just so glad that i got in to my dream martial art. It's called Yaw Yan. That's short for SaYAW ng KamataYAN which means "Dance of Death." It's Filipino Kickboxing. I'm just so glad that i finally get to study my own native martial art. =D

straightXed
06-09-2007, 07:39 AM
anyone in here in to martial arts? =D im just so glad that i got in to my dream martial art. It's called Yaw Yan. That's short for SaYAW ng KamataYAN which means "Dance of Death." It's Filipino Kickboxing. I'm just so glad that i finally get to study my own native martial art. =D

I'm a martial artist. Glad you found a school you are happy with.

xpatchxrojasx
06-09-2007, 09:11 AM
nice..what do you practice?

straightXed
06-09-2007, 11:01 AM
nice..what do you practice?

You can call it the art of fighting without fighting!

xCrucialDudex
07-09-2007, 03:10 PM
and that is something like sitting and thinking about stuff telling attackers: "chill out dude I'm busy"?

straightXed
07-09-2007, 04:09 PM
and that is something like sitting and thinking about stuff telling attackers: "chill out dude I'm busy"?

well no, its actually a quote from enter the dragon. But the statement basically elludes to the idea of winning your battles way before they ever come to physical fighting by understanding yourself fully and reading your enemy as best as possible. The art of war by sun tzu lay grounds to this by saying that "the ultimate achievement is to win a battle without ever fighting" and the ways to do this are to understand yourself and your enemy. Saying "chill out dude i'm busy" may anger your attacker which can serve in your favour if you are aware of that situation fully and wish to anger them. A martial artist should see themselves as the general of the battle and a good general won't make stupid sacrafices of the troops before exhausting all other valid options. When it comes to needing to fight it should be done efficiantly and not clouded by emotional judgement but winning a battle using physical force is a lowly acheivement compared to winning one with no violence and a much lower risk. As people get older the idea of risk assessment plays a larger part in choices; an 18 year old guy with no job, living at home and no dependants will have a lot less to lose by fighting and so often young people fight. An older gentleman with a house, a car, a decent job, a wife and kids has much more to lose by putting himself at risk in a violent situation. This is also reflected in nature, many animals behave very differently when they have had offspring and will avoid the risk until its imperitive to deal with it violently for protection but the realise they have dependants and are less likely to make a foolish risk. A decent martial artist doesn't look to fight, all the physical training is just a small part of what a martial artist represents and the desire to prove martial abilty by fighting is a sure sign of someone who is very early on the path to becoming a martial artist. Fighting for sport however is another discussion altogether. But yeah, its just a quote from enter the dragon.

xCrucialDudex
07-10-2007, 12:55 AM
I see. So you do not practice any particular MA such as Taek-won-do/Karate/Aikido/Boxing/etc., do you?

straightXed
07-10-2007, 04:24 AM
I see. So you do not practice any particular MA such as Taek-won-do/Karate/Aikido/Boxing/etc., do you?

What makes you think that? The values i just noted can be found in tae kwon do, karate and akido so i am unclear as to why you think i don't practice martial arts?

FireFly
07-10-2007, 08:29 AM
I'm totally into martial arts. I did kung fu when I was younger. Couldn't stick with it I guess lol. But now I do goju ryu. I prefer this style.

XxXbassist
07-10-2007, 12:54 PM
I do Taek-won-do and a little jujitsu
definitely love mixed martial arts
I want to learn capoeria its so cool looking

D1988
07-10-2007, 03:59 PM
A friend of mine does a style of karate, I will find out the style he does and let you know Ed, you obviously know alot more than me about it. But yeah he was in a tournament in Canada and is soon going to Australia for a tournament, guy is seriously awesome, one of the best in the country.

straightXed
07-10-2007, 04:27 PM
A friend of mine does a style of karate, I will find out the style he does and let you know Ed, you obviously know alot more than me about it. But yeah he was in a tournament in Canada and is soon going to Australia for a tournament, guy is seriously awesome, one of the best in the country.

My sifu used to fight in karate competitions back when he was in the RAF in shotokan and wadoryu styles. I did a little karate when i was younger thanks to the karate kid.

D1988
07-10-2007, 05:04 PM
My sifu used to fight in karate competitions back when he was in the RAF in shotokan and wadoryu styles. I did a little karate when i was younger thanks to the karate kid.

Cool. I generally didn't have the slightest clue of all of the different styles until I spoke to him a little bit about. Here was me typical guy thinking Karate was it, but he told me there is lots of styles of Karate and I can obviously see now how huge martial arts are.

I went to a charity show and they done a demonstration, it wasn't full contact fighting but my mate and this other guy who is I would say almost as good as him went at it and it is incredible to watch. I think full contact it would be pretty intense, and they are so damn fast it's unbelievable.

Sand Stealer
07-12-2007, 01:27 PM
My little brother's a black belt in karate and has dabbled in judo and something else, can't remember what it was, but he didn't like them as much. He was going to try and move up the dans as well but his teacher started messing him around and demanding money from him for equipment he never used again and making up fees, so he quit. It's a bit sad, he was really good at it and it did so much for his confidence and calmed him down a lot too.

straightXed
07-12-2007, 03:19 PM
My little brother's a black belt in karate and has dabbled in judo and something else, can't remember what it was, but he didn't like them as much. He was going to try and move up the dans as well but his teacher started messing him around and demanding money from him for equipment he never used again and making up fees, so he quit. It's a bit sad, he was really good at it and it did so much for his confidence and calmed him down a lot too.

Unfortunately that isn't a rare incident in martial arts, it happens too often and there are a lot of instructors out there that really let people down.

xCrucialDudex
07-25-2007, 03:10 PM
What makes you think that? The values i just noted can be found in tae kwon do, karate and akido so i am unclear as to why you think i don't practice martial arts?

What makes you respond to my question with a question? Can't you just answer if you do or you do not?

rodrigo
07-25-2007, 03:31 PM
What makes you respond to my question with a question? Can't you just answer if you do or you do not?
What makes you respond to his question with a question? Can't you just answer why you thought he didnt practice any martial arts?

xCrucialDudex
07-25-2007, 03:56 PM
What makes you respond to his question with a question? Can't you just answer why you thought he didnt practice any martial arts?

That was me who asked him a question first. That's why.

straightXed
07-25-2007, 03:57 PM

Because it was as if you thought the values i mentioned were conclusive enough to suggest i didn't practice a particular martial art even though the values are clearly found in many martial arts. So i asked why, based on me mentioning values found in martial arts, you deduced that i did not practice martial arts? The answer to my question isn't immediately apparent where as the answer to what you are asking is answered in abundance within this thread.

Perhaps the answers already present don't satisfy you in which case i suggest if you want a different answer you ask a different question. I mean come on, you are asking if i practice martial arts and my first thread says "i am a martial artist", also i later go on to mention my sifu as well as discussing martial arts and the qualities found within them - and from all that you arrive at an idea that i don't do martial arts?

Now tell me, after taking all of the afore mentioned facts into consideration, do i really need to answer the question?

xCrucialDudex
07-25-2007, 03:58 PM

I was just curious if he does any martial arts or not. So I decided to ask him a question expecting him to *actually* give me back a "yes/no" (at least) kind of answer. But I got back a question instead.

straightXed
07-25-2007, 04:00 PM
That was me who asked him a question first. That's why.

A question that had already been answered within this thread yet i still don't think my question has been answered, i mean its like you are in the twilight zone or something, i say i'm a martial artist and you derrive from that an idea that i don't do martial arts, its pretty odd.

straightXed
07-25-2007, 04:01 PM
I was just curious if he does any martial arts or not. So I decided to ask him a question expecting him to *actually* give me back a "yes/no" (at least) kind of answer. But I got back a question instead.

Dude, i said i was a martial artist, what do you think martial artists do?

xCrucialDudex
07-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Because it was as if you thought the values i mentioned were conclusive enough to suggest i didn't practice a particular martial art even though the values are clearly found in many martial arts.

I didn't really mean to say that you don't do MA. On the contrary I just wanted to specify what martial arts exactly you study.

Because it was as if you thought the values i mentioned were conclusive enough to suggest i didn't practice a particular martial art even though the values are clearly found in many martial arts.

And that's the issue. Since the values you described are found in a number of MA I got curious about what specific MA you do.

... The answer to my question isn't immediately apparent where as the answer to what you are asking is answered in abundance within this thread.

Not really.

Perhaps the answers already present don't satisfy you in which case i suggest if you want a different answer you ask a different question.

So what MA exactly do you do?

I mean come on, you are asking if i practice martial arts and my first thread says "i am a martial artist", also i later go on to mention my sifu as well as discussing martial arts and the qualities found within them - and from all that you arrive at an idea that i don't do martial arts?

I am not asking if you just do some MA arts or you don't. I'm asking what MA exactly do you do?

Now tell me, after taking all of the afore mentioned facts into consideration, do i really need to answer the question?

I'm afraid you need to.

xCrucialDudex
07-25-2007, 04:30 PM
A question that had already been answered within this thread yet i still don't think my question has been answered, i mean its like you are in the twilight zone or something, i say i'm a martial artist and you derrive from that an idea that i don't do martial arts, its pretty odd.

I didn't derive an idea that "you don't do martial arts". Again, on the contrary I understood that you have some knowledge on the subject discussed and I deduced that apparently you must be doing some MA. What MA exactly you do was all I wanted to get from you at that point.

I guess me being in "twilight zone or something" like putting a question in a wrong way is what created so much misunderstanding.

straightXed
07-25-2007, 04:46 PM
I didn't really mean to say that you don't do MA. On the contrary I just wanted to specify what martial arts exactly you study.

Well say what you mean then!

And that's the issue. Since the values you described are found in a number of MA I got curious about what specific MA you do.

Well seeing as values are similar throughout, the particular style becomes rather unimportant. Lets think of the style of no style and not get caught up in rather unimportant factors within martial arts. I mean i was more specific on my martial philosophy than i could ever be in naming a style.

Not really.

Yes really, remember you were the one who jumped to a conclusion that i didn't do a martial art at all after i clearly spoke of martial elements after saying i was a martial artist. You began asking a question that really didn't need asking and now you are even agreeing that what you were curious about is which art i did yet you suggested i didn't do any art? Which is why it was your question that was flawed which is why i questioned it, so you could either rephrase it, rethink it or whatever.

So what MA exactly do you do?

you can call it the art of fighting without fighting!

I am not asking if you just do some MA arts or you don't. I'm asking what MA exactly do you do?

Thats what you are asking now but not what you were asking before, and it still doesn't answer why you came to the conclusion that i didn't do any martial arts does it?

I'm afraid you need to.

No, you have asked a different question than the one you asked before. Before you asked:

"I see. So you do not practice any particular MA such as Taek-won-do/Karate/Aikido/Boxing/etc., do you?"

now a martial artist would be someone that practices a particular martial art would they not?

you also asked:

Can't you just answer if you do or you do not?

which is also answered by my saying i am a martial artist. So i am afraid to answer the questions you have asked up until this post i am quoting i should not need to answer as the answers are already available. You have now asked a different question, which i answered with a semi joke (its more truth than joke to be honest).

It was indeed up to you to revise your question which is why i questioned it as what you were asking didn't need answering. So it wasn't me who needed to answer the question it was you who needed to ask the question first, now you have finally decided to ask what you wanted an answer to i will answer you. Although the information has been present in my profile the whole time, i train and teach yip family wing chun...but you can call it the art of fighting without fighting.

straightXed
07-25-2007, 04:52 PM
I didn't derive an idea that "you don't do martial arts". Again, on the contrary I understood that you have some knowledge on the subject discussed and I deduced that apparently you must be doing some MA. What MA exactly you do was all I wanted to get from you at that point.

Well you derived this "So you do not practice any particular MA such as Taek-won-do/Karate/Aikido/Boxing/etc., do you?" which pretty much suggests you were of the opinion and needed clarity that i didn't do any particular martial arts.

If you wanted to know what martial art idid the best thing you can do is ask that, not ask questions that assume i don't to martial arts, because before i answer i will want to clarify why you think i don't after i said i do. Like i said, it was the question that was wrong.

I guess me being in "twilight zone or something" like putting a question in a wrong way is what created so much misunderstanding.

again, the question wasn't the wrong way it was just plain the wrong question in contrast with what you actually wanted to ask.

straightXed
07-25-2007, 05:04 PM
For anyone who doesn't know about yip family wing chun or wing chun in general here is a laymans guide complete with brummy accents focusing on an ex cheif instructor of mine, sifu shaun rawcliffe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ANxwDnBxsY

And for those who found that a bit yawn worthy heres a cheesy music video from a new york sifu focusing on wing chun. Sifu jose grados:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vUCCtb9uOs

rodrigo
07-25-2007, 05:30 PM
i wanted to practice wing chun with my girlfriend, but at the moment i couldnt afford them... and, i still cant, but when i get a second job im gonna go there and join up!

xCrucialDudex
07-26-2007, 01:14 AM
Well say what you mean then!

I will!

Well seeing as values are similar throughout, the particular style becomes rather unimportant. Lets think of the style of no style and not get caught up in rather unimportant factors within martial arts. I mean i was more specific on my martial philosophy than i could ever be in naming a style.

Jeez, can't you just answer directly the question I asked, can you?
Why did you decide that I'm interested now in all these details?
All I wanted (and still want to) was the name of the martial arts you practice. No more no less.

I'm open to new information and that's something you actually give when you go into detailed explanations. That's fine but I just want to know the name of MA you practice.

Are you trying to avoid answering my question directly?

Yes really, remember you were the one who jumped to a conclusion that i didn't do a martial art at all after i clearly spoke of martial elements after saying i was a martial artist.

Okay, let me remind you that the English language isn't my first language so chances are that I failed to express my thoughts the right way. I'll repeat it again - I understood that you were into MA and doing a particular one. I was just trying to specify the name of MA you practice.

You began asking a question that really didn't need asking and now you are even agreeing that what you were curious about is which art i did yet you suggested i didn't do any art?

See above and all of my prior posts trying to reach you with my message "I didn't even try to suggest that you don't do MA".

Which is why it was your question that was flawed which is why i questioned it, so you could either rephrase it, rethink it or whatever.

Yes, I could really rephrase it, rethink it or whatever. The next time I'll do before posting.

you can call it the art of fighting without fighting!

There's no such MA, is there? I never heard of it before and moreover it doesn't really sound as the name of MA. I'll try it again - I want to know the name of MA you practice.

Thats what you are asking now but not what you were asking before, and it still doesn't answer why you came to the conclusion that i didn't do any martial arts does it?

Please, see above.

No, you have asked a different question than the one you asked before. Before you asked:

"I see. So you do not practice any particular MA such as Taek-won-do/Karate/Aikido/Boxing/etc., do you?"

now a martial artist would be someone that practices a particular martial art would they not?

I think that a martial artist is someone that practices a particular MA (such as Aikido, Karate, Jiu-Jitsu, etc.)

you also asked:

Can't you just answer if you do or you do not?

which is also answered by my saying i am a martial artist.

I figured that you are early on. That's not the point of my question.

So i am afraid to answer the questions you have asked up until this post i am quoting i should not need to answer

Then you should consider answering the new ones. In fact, if you answer the only one it'll be just great: What's the name of MA that you practice?

as the answers are already available.

I can't see the answer to my question (coming before this quoting) in your responds. Do you expect me to guess it myself?

You have now asked a different question, which i answered with a semi joke (its more truth than joke to be honest). It was indeed up to you to revise your question which is why i questioned it as what you were asking didn't need answering.

I agree that I should've rephrased my question. My fault.

So it wasn't me who needed to answer the question it was you who needed to ask the question first,

I asked it, but I asked it the wrong way. Which is a quite a different story.

now you have finally decided to ask what you wanted an answer to i will answer you. Although the information has been present in my profile the whole time, i train and teach yip family wing chun...but you can call it the art of fighting without fighting.

Thank you so much. That's all I wanted to know.

Now if you don't mind my asking, please, tell me what makes you write so many commentaries to posts of others? Honestly, I'm curious about it.

xCrucialDudex
07-26-2007, 01:19 AM
Well you derived this "So you do not practice any particular MA such as Taek-won-do/Karate/Aikido/Boxing/etc., do you?" which pretty much suggests you were of the opinion and needed clarity that i didn't do any particular martial arts.

If you wanted to know what martial art idid the best thing you can do is ask that, not ask questions that assume i don't to martial arts, because before i answer i will want to clarify why you think i don't after i said i do. Like i said, it was the question that was wrong.

again, the question wasn't the wrong way it was just plain the wrong question in contrast with what you actually wanted to ask.

Thanks for explanations. It'll help me to avoid asking wrong questions next time.

straightXed
07-26-2007, 06:00 AM
I will!

ok

Jeez, can't you just answer directly the question I asked, can you?

Which question?

Why did you decide that I'm interested now in all these details?

Its not just about what you want or what you are interested in, its what i wish to put forward also. the name of the martial art is rather unimportant.

All I wanted (and still want to) was the name of the martial arts you practice. No more no less.

why?

I'm open to new information and that's something you actually give when you go into detailed explanations. That's fine but I just want to know the name of MA you practice.

You have to remember you have only just become specific in the fact that you only wanted a name of a style.

Are you trying to avoid answering my question directly?

Again you seem to forget that you have only just asked that and previously you asked questions that needed clarity and questioning due to their dubious angle.

Okay, let me remind you that the English language isn't my first language so chances are that I failed to express my thoughts the right way. I'll repeat it again - I understood that you were into MA and doing a particular one. I was just trying to specify the name of MA you practice.

Yeah but you know how to ask that as a specific question so using the language card doesn't really stand. And even if it did stand then its not my fault that the responses you got weren't what you were after. I can only go by what you type, i can't assume that you mean something other than what you type just because English isn't your first language. But i can ask for clarification when i am doubtful about the question and if its what you actually meant. Thats what i did.

See above and all of my prior posts trying to reach you with my message "I didn't even try to suggest that you don't do MA".

I'm unsure why you have used quotations there but your message in prior posts was quite the oppisite of what you put in quotations. especially as later in this post you accept it to need rephrasing and accept it being your fault.

Yes, I could really rephrase it, rethink it or whatever. The next time I'll do before posting.

It makes sense, you want a specific answer then ask a specific question, not one that suggests i don't do martial arts - especially when thats not what you wanted to say.

There's no such MA, is there? I never heard of it before and moreover it doesn't really sound as the name of MA. I'll try it again - I want to know the name of MA you practice.

Increasingly i am getting the impression that you didn't read the whole post before responding.

Please, see above.

So you just wrote to that effect, unfortunately i can't read your mind. Again you concede this later in this post.

I think that a martial artist is someone that practices a particular MA (such as Aikido, Karate, Jiu-Jitsu, etc.)

The answer you were looking for is yes to the question you quoted.

So why would you write a question that suggests i don't do a particular martial art when i say i am a martial artist? Why not write: What martial art do you study?

I figured that you are early on. That's not the point of my question.

Which is why clarification was asked for because the point of your question was not at all apparent in the questions you asked.

Then you should consider answering the new ones. In fact, if you answer the only one it'll be just great: What's the name of MA that you practice?

amazingly enough i did consider the new ones and if you took the time to read the post first you would see that.

I can't see the answer to my question (coming before this quoting) in your responds. Do you expect me to guess it myself?

I don't expect you to guess it yourself but it would be good practice if you actually read the post you were responding to before actually responding. It might save you from talking a load of crap and save everyone else from having to read it. And the point you actually quoted here pertains to the questions you asked previously, they were easily answered by the first post i made in this thread. I can only answer the questions you type not the ones in your head.

I agree that I should've rephrased my question. My fault.

it was a flawed question, assign fault as you see fit.

I asked it, but I asked it the wrong way. Which is a quite a different story.

No, you asked something else which had already been answered by information available previously. You asked after i pressed for clarity.

Thank you so much. That's all I wanted to know.

I still want to know why you wanted to know?

Now if you don't mind my asking, please, tell me what makes you write so many commentaries to posts of others? Honestly, I'm curious about it.

I write coherent responses to the things they write. People can often not take the time to think about what they are actually saying when typing and when someone else reads it it can just be nonsensical or even offensive. I take the time to respond accurately and articulately as a mark of respect for those i discuss things with and to hopefully encourage others to also write thoughtfully. Its that desire to communicate effectively and surely that makes me write more lengthly responses and use the full potential of the platform available. It is a great platform for weeding out asinine ideas, particularly in debates, as it proves to give an honest reflection of what people have written. Back peddling becomes difficult and you can point to what was and wasn't said, the issue then comes in how people react to having erronous points highlighted. Some just go into denial and refuse to accept that it ever happened and struggle to ignore it by shiffting focus, others accept points raised and learn from them and discussion with people that actually gain from discussion makes them more pleasurable people to discuss things with. Others just type nonsense a lot, that generally doesn't happen here as someone will call people out on it quite early.

I could have responded in a short and unimformative manner to your question but i more lengthly response with more content gives you a better idea of the answer and how it should be taken. This is also why after you became clear on what you wanted to know i answered and included references for you to observe. It took some time to iron out what you were saying but this serves to enable you to communicate more clearly, thats the aim here. I am very happy to discuss martial arts, i have already touched on my thoughts and feelings on martial arts here and would happily do so until everyone was bored silly. I am open to questions but i will question questions if i think they are flawed.

straightXed
07-26-2007, 06:01 AM
Thanks for explanations. It'll help me to avoid asking wrong questions next time.

Your welcome, if you want toknow more just ask!

xCrucialDudex
07-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Which question?

Never mind. It's not valid anymore.

Its not just about what you want or what you are interested in, its what i wish to put forward also. the name of the martial art is rather unimportant.

I like how you put it. I tell you the same - it's not about what you wish to put forward. It's about me and what I want to know. The name of the martial art IS important to me.

why?

This is simple. Because I want to know _the name_ of the martial art you practice.

What's the reason for that? Sheer curiosity.

You have to remember you have only just become specific in the fact that you only wanted a name of a style.

That's correct.

Again you seem to forget that you have only just asked that and previously you asked questions that needed clarity and questioning due to their dubious angle.

This is correct too.

Yeah but you know how to ask that as a specific question so using the language card doesn't really stand.

I didn't really get the meaning of this sentence. `To use a card' is an idiom apparently and if I guess its meaning right (which is unlikely to be true... most of the times it's almost impossible for a foreigner to understand an idiom without a special dictionary of idioms. the one I don't have, and answers.com suggests some explanations but none matching your usage) it means that you suggest that I'm sort of making up an excuse in order to kinda shift the blame or smth?

And even if it did stand then its not my fault that the responses you got weren't what you were after.

Indeed.

I can only go by what you type, i can't assume that you mean something other than what you type just because English isn't your first language.

You can't or you just don't want to?
It's hard to believe that you can't even assume what I was trying to say. Especially, given the situation when the question was apparently inappropriate and contradicted the logics and you saw and realized that as well as rodrigo did. Besides that, you display properties of a good thinker in almost all of your posts so your assertion IS surprising to me.

I'm unsure why you have used quotations there but your message in prior posts was quite the oppisite of what you put in quotations.

I was talking about the "right" questions. Those that were asking "What MA exactly do you do?"

especially as later in this post you accept it to need rephrasing and accept it being your fault.

Here I referred to the initial question which lead to so much misunderstanding between me and you in this thread and I agreed with you that I should've rephrased it.

It makes sense, you want a specific answer then ask a specific question, not one that suggests i don't do martial arts - especially when thats not what you wanted to say.

See what happens when you don't master the language perfectly?

(I'm not even sure now if the above line is correct and the message I try to make it deliver will be understood by you and the others the same way as it is understood by me)

Increasingly i am getting the impression that you didn't read the whole post before responding.

But I did so your impression is wrong.

So you just wrote to that effect, unfortunately i can't read your mind.

Luckily, you can't.

The answer you were looking for is yes to the question you quoted.

So why would you write a question that suggests i don't do a particular martial art when i say i am a martial artist? Why not write: What martial art do you study?

This is probably the hardest to explain. I know how to ask the question I should've asked but I didn't ask it. Instead I decided that a tail question would be more appropriate for what I wanted to achieve and that was the crucial mistake (as we can see now). Moreover I did assert that you don't do any particular (meaning specific) martial art on purpose in order to provoke you to disprove it by actually giving the name of the MA you do. That's basically what I expected to achieve by using a tag question in that manner. I can see now that I failed to. Now, I have to figure if it was totally incorrect from the point of view of the grammar and/or stylistics. Can you confirm that?

If you still doubt that I don't speak/write the perfect English we could chat on IRC or whatever chat system you prefer and you will see that I'm telling the truth. In the forums (and non-real time environments alike) I have some (more) time to think before I type. However, I still DO make grammatical, stylistic and other mistakes even after checking what I wrote before posting a message.

Which is why clarification was asked for because the point of your question was not at all apparent in the questions you asked.

I see.

amazingly enough i did consider the new ones and if you took the time to read the post first you would see that.

But you didn't give the name of the MA in prior posts but it happened only in previous one.

I don't expect you to guess it yourself but it would be good practice if you actually read the post you were responding to before actually responding.

Man, read the first page of the thread once again. You don't actually give the name of the MA. You were talking about "enter the dragon" stuff. That was something that made me think that you were talking about a specific MA so I decided to figure what is the MA you are into. As far as I understand the mentioning of the Art of War by Sun Tzu doesn't tell one that you're into Wing Chun, does it?

It might save you from talking a load of crap and save everyone else from having to read it.

That's right. Now you're talking about yourself too, right?

You are trying to convince me that there was an answer already but where exactly did you say that you do and teach Wing Chun? You mention this only after we started asking questions one another. Before that you were just talking about some of the ideas from Enter the Dragon.

And the point you actually quoted here pertains to the questions you asked previously, they were easily answered by the first post i made in this thread. I can only answer the questions you type not the ones in your head.

Ok, let us take a closer look at the first post you made in this thread:

I'm a martial artist. Glad you found a school you are happy with.

There's no mentioning of Wing Chun neither you mention that you practice it nor that you teach it.

it was a flawed question, assign fault as you see fit.

So, you confirmed it. My lesson is learned.
Thank you.

No, you asked something else which had already been answered by information available previously. You asked after i pressed for clarity.

How exactly does mentioning of The Art of War by Sun Tzu tells anyone that you do and teach Wing Chun? O__o

I still want to know why you wanted to know?

Curiosity. You know some people are curious and want to know a lot of things.

I write coherent responses to the things they write.

I noticed that.

People can often not take the time to think about what they are actually saying when typing and when someone else reads it it can just be nonsensical or even offensive. I take the time to respond accurately and articulately as a mark of respect for those i discuss things with and to hopefully encourage others to also write thoughtfully. Its that desire to communicate effectively and surely that makes me write more lengthly responses and use the full potential of the platform available. It is a great platform for weeding out asinine ideas, particularly in debates, as it proves to give an honest reflection of what people have written. Back peddling becomes difficult and you can point to what was and wasn't said, the issue then comes in how people react to having erronous points highlighted. Some just go into denial and refuse to accept that it ever happened and struggle to ignore it by shiffting focus, others accept points raised and learn from them and discussion with people that actually gain from discussion makes them more pleasurable people to discuss things with. Others just type nonsense a lot, that generally doesn't happen here as someone will call people out on it quite early.

I could have responded in a short and unimformative manner to your question but i more lengthly response with more content gives you a better idea of the answer and how it should be taken. This is also why after you became clear on what you wanted to know i answered and included references for you to observe. It took some time to iron out what you were saying but this serves to enable you to communicate more clearly, thats the aim here. I am very happy to discuss martial arts, i have already touched on my thoughts and feelings on martial arts here and would happily do so until everyone was bored silly. I am open to questions but i will question questions if i think they are flawed.

I see. Thanks for one more lengthy post.

I am open to questions too but you must believe that I didn't make it up and I was truly saying that I'd made a mistake due to the fact that I am not a native English speaker. Even though I can read, write and speak English reasonably the truth is that I still do horrible, simple, nasty mistakes. Truth laid bare. So, the next time you see a portion of text in my post that is totally out of whack try to assume that I just failed to express myself the right way.

As for Wing Chun why did you decide to devote yourself to this style? Why not something else? Did you try something else or is it just happened so that you got involved and stuck to it?

I've personally been doing some unarmed self-defense (SAMBO or САМБО in Russian) for approx. three or a little bit more years when I was a kid (~8-11 years), then boxing for a year and then I got back to САМБО (read - sa:mbo) to spend one more year. I guess I was never neither serious enough nor conscious about MA so my achievements were pretty low. Boxing was plain stupid for me. I didn't like it, I didn't understand it. I still don't really get it. I don't like Karate for its angriness (I'm talking about my personal impression of the MA. When I see Karate I see angry fighters fighting to death. Something I don't really like.)

I was always mesmerized by Aikido. Never got a chance to go to dojo but have seen a couple of demos that were awesome. I like its concept of being gentle and not harming your enemy. I had some fights in the streets of my city most of which were not started due to my unwillingness to fight but if I had to fight I was always sort of caring about my enemy. It's not something I was taught. It's something that comes naturally. So, I'm really attracted to Aikido as it pertains to the part of my nature. I really enjoy the concentration of aikidoka, his adjusted movements and interaction with enemy's force. I think the whole concept of using the enemy's force to disable/disarm him is rather philosophical, practical and effective. Well, I can really talk about it a lot since I really like it.

I guess I should've come to dojo and started training instead of thinking and talking in internet forums about it but there's one thing that stops me from doing this. In my city sensei has got only the first dan and I know some aikidoka (my friend) who spoke bad of him. I was actually told that I won't learn anything good in that school. I don't usually trust blindly everything people say but the fact is that I trust that aikidoka guy. He was in Moscow dojo, he was participating in tournaments and such. He's quite experienced and I'm inclined to believe him.

Well, anyhow I didn't have much time for that until now. I'm currently deciding to move to Kiyv (the capital of Ukraine) to work. There's a dojo and another sensei (3d dan), more experienced then the local one. 3d dan is a good start I believe, I'm going to take it seriously and thinking about going to Japan in future to learn from Japanese senseis. As I said I was never serious about MA before which resulted in low achievements, fear of contests and uncompleted education. I feel like I have to finish what I started. Almost 4 years of my life spent and no pleasing achievements. That's just not the right way for me. I was a kid I wasn't really conscious about what I was doing but aspiration to master Aikido still remains despite all the years gone since those times. Actually, SAMBO is Aikido-like and I liked it more then karate or boxing.

So, I guess I'm going to start my training very soon. Not for the purpose of learning how to fight but I feel like that something is missing in my life. Something that I was doing back in days when I was a kid. Something that was fulfilling and made me feel complete, in fact, something I was always wanting to start doing. Perhaps this is just a nostalgia but I guess it's not.

Well, what about you guys? What MA do you practice and why do you choose this or that style?

straightXed
07-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Never mind. It's not valid anymore.

ok

I like how you put it. I tell you the same - it's not about what you wish to put forward. It's about me and what I want to know. The name of the martial art IS important to me.

Yeah but it is about what i want to put forward, as well as what you want to know. What you just said doesn't say that.

This is simple. Because I want to know _the name_ of the martial art you practice.

What's the reason for that? Sheer curiosity.

Why are you curious about me and what i do?

That's correct.

I know

This is correct too.

I know

I didn't really get the meaning of this sentence. `To use a card' is an idiom apparently and if I guess its meaning right (which is unlikely to be true... most of the times it's almost impossible for a foreigner to understand an idiom without a special dictionary of idioms. the one I don't have, and answers.com suggests some explanations but none matching your usage) it means that you suggest that I'm sort of making up an excuse in order to kinda shift the blame or smth?

Its a typical fall back that often isn't the cause of the problem.

Indeed.

good, we are clear.

You can't or you just don't want to?
It's hard to believe that you can't even assume what I was trying to say. Especially, given the situation when the question was apparently inappropriate and contradicted the logics and you saw and realized that as well as rodrigo did. Besides that, you display properties of a good thinker in almost all of your posts so your assertion IS surprising to me.

Which is why i asked questions for clarity. If i assumed without asking i wouldn't know either way, its wiser to ask a question if you aren't sure. So yeah i could assume and get it wrong or i could ask, i think the smart choice is the latter.

I was talking about the "right" questions. Those that were asking "What MA exactly do you do?"

but that wasn't in the first instance, which is what we were talking about at this point of the post.

Here I referred to the initial question which lead to so much misunderstanding between me and you in this thread and I agreed with you that I should've rephrased it.

I know, its just the part in quotations previously was also in response tothis postion of the discussion - you are begining to jump around to better suit.

See what happens when you don't master the language perfectly?

what do you think?

(I'm not even sure now if the above line is correct and the message I try to make it deliver will be understood by you and the others the same way as it is understood by me)

Ok

But I did so your impression is wrong.

Then you are responding as if you haven't been told the answer when you have? Thats stupid.

Luckily, you can't.

So you'll have to work at communicating with that in mind

This is probably the hardest to explain. I know how to ask the question I should've asked but I didn't ask it. Instead I decided that a tail question would be more appropriate for what I wanted to achieve and that was the crucial mistake (as we can see now). Moreover I did assert that you don't do any particular (meaning specific) martial art on purpose in order to provoke you to disprove it by actually giving the name of the MA you do. That's basically what I expected to achieve by using a tag question in that manner. I can see now that I failed to. Now, I have to figure if it was totally incorrect from the point of view of the grammar and/or stylistics. Can you confirm that?

Yeah, doesn't work like that.

If you still doubt that I don't speak/write the perfect English we could chat on IRC or whatever chat system you prefer and you will see that I'm telling the truth. In the forums (and non-interactive environments alike) I have some (more) time to think before I type. However, I still DO make grammatical, stylistic and other mistakes even after checking what I wrote before posting a message.

I never suggested this doubt, i don't see why we would need to chat to prove anything. If you wanted to discuss anything valid then sure, but to prove how well you type something isn't really warrented.

I see.

good

But you didn't give the name of the MA in prior posts but it happened only in previous one.

It wasn't asked in previous posts.

Man, read the first page of the thread once again. You don't actually give the name of the MA.

I never said i did but at that point you weren't specifically asking for a name.

You were talking about "enter the dragon" stuff. That was something that made me think that you were talking about a specific MA so I decided to figure what is the MA you are into. As far as I understand the mentioning of the Art of War by Sun Tzu doesn't tell one that you're into Wing Chun, does it?

No but me saying i am a martial artist tells you i do a martial art. If you ask which one then you get the answer but you didn't ask that. And when i say read the post i mean the post as in post number 31 as the answer is given which negates all of the references you have made to me not answering in that post. Which is why it was stupid if you say you read all of post 31 and then acted like you didn't have the information.

That's right. Now you're talking about yourself too, right?

no just you.

You are trying to convince me that there was an answer already but where exactly did you say that you do and teach Wing Chun? You mention this only after we started asking questions one another. Before that you were just talking about some of the ideas from Enter the Dragon.

No i'm not, where have i tried to convince you of that?

[QUOTE=straightXed]And the point you actually quoted here pertains to the questions you asked previously, they were easily answered by the first post i made in this thread. I can only answer the questions you type not the ones in your head.

Ok, let us take a closer look at the first post you made in this thread:

And as this pertains to previous questions you should recall that those questions weren't specific in asking which art i did. I answer what you asked not what you wished you had and later did ask.

[QUOTE=xCrucialDudex]There's no mentioning of Wing Chun neither you mention that you practice it nor that you teach it.

Thats because you didn't ask which specific art i did until later. This isn't brain surgary bub.

So, you confirmed it. My lesson is learned.
Thank you.

I hope so

How exactly does mentioning of The Art of War by Sun Tzu tells anyone that you do and teach Wing Chun? O__o

The same way asking you don't do any particular martial arts do you? translates which art do you study. Its you that didn't ask the question so i can't answer it until you do. Its like my question of why you asked in the first place. I mean you don't tell me why in your first post. Its the twilight zone thing again. What my earlier posts to tell you is that i am a martial artist which makes the question you asked rather silly.

Curiosity. You know some people are curious and want to know a lot of things.

Why? What else are you curious about? How does the imformation impact you?

I noticed that.

Perhaps you could try it?

I see. Thanks for one more lengthy post.

ok

I am open to questions too but you must believe that I didn't make it up and I was truly saying that I'd made a mistake due to the fact that I am not a native English speaker. Even though I can read, write and speak English reasonably the truth is that I still do horrible, simple, nasty mistakes. Truth laid bare. So, the next time you see a portion of text in my post that is totally out of whack try to assume that I just failed to express myself the right way.

I did assume that, which is why i asked questions before answering.

straightXed
07-27-2007, 10:06 AM
As for Wung Chun why did you decide to devote yourself to this style? Why not something else? Did you try something else or is it just happened so that you got involved and stuck to it?

Thinking of wing chun as a style is something that is often discussed with a lot of people being clear how it isn't. But as for why i do wing chun, it fits in with my philosophy on defence, attitude, approach, resolve and mindset etc. I mean its not a case of me trying to fit to how wing chun is, i get to make wing chun reflect me. So rather than thinking of wing chun as a set pattern to fit and choose its good to think of oneself and why wing chun ties in with oneself. This way the focus is on the artist and how they work instead of focussing on a disjointed entity. So for me to answer i would need to say why i am the way i am and without going into huge detail lets just say its genetic and environmental.

I've personally been doing some unarmed self-defense (SAMBO or САМБО in Russian) for approx. three or a little bit more years when I was a kid (~8-11 years), then boxing for a year and then I got back to САМБО (read - sa:mbo) to spend one more year. I guess I was never neither serious enough nor conscious about MA so my achievements were pretty low. Boxing was plain stupid for me. I didn't like it, I didn't understand it. I still don't really get it. I don't like Karate for its angriness (I'm talking about my personal impression of the MA. When I see Karate I see angry fighters fighting to death. Something I don't really like.)

Karate fighters fighting to the death? Historically or now? Its a shame you spent 5 years or so around self defence and sports fighting and feel you have achieved little.

I was always mesmerized by Aikido. Never got a chance to go to dojo but have seen a couple of demos that were awesome. I like its concept of being gentle and not harming your enemy. I had some fights in the streets of my city most of which were not started due to my unwillingness to fight but if I had to fight I was always sort of caring about my enemy. It's not something I was taught. It's something that comes naturally. So, I'm really attracted to Aikido as it pertains to the part of my nature. I really enjoy the concentration of aikidoka, his adjusted movements and interaction with enemy's force. I think the whole concept of using the enemy's force to disable/disarm him is rather philosophical, practical and effective. Well, I can really talk about it a lot since I really like it.

We have a couple of ex akido black belts in our school and we also interact with our local akido club, doing charity seminars together and the like. If you like aikido read angry white pajamas.

I guess I should've come to dojo and started training instead of thinking and talking in internet forums about it but there's one thing that stops me from doing this. In my city sensei has got only the first dan and I know some aikidoka (my friend) who spoke bad of him. I was actually told that I won't learn anything good in that school. I don't usually trust blindly everything people say but the fact is that I trust that aikidoka guy. He was in Moscow dojo, he was participating in tournaments and such. He's quite experienced and I'm inclined to believe him.

Well people always like to talk and tell you their opinion especially when it comes to martial arts. I would say at all costs in martial arts, make up your own mind based on your own perception. I plain just don't take anyones word for another martial artists ability, its about your own perception and whats good for you not what is good for everyone else. I would suggest you approach this sensei and see for yourself, if you agree with the things you have heard then fine. But a lot of people just echo things they have heard or just found it wasn't something they lthought was good. And another aikidoka will be more opinionated than a layman and critique based on his personal devepolment of the art so its not completely valid for you to just accept that. Also the sign of a bad teacher is one that will speak ill of other artists and this can often filter into students too. If it were me i would be inclined to check it out before believing him.

Well, anyhow I didn't have much time for that until now. I'm currently deciding to move to Kiyv (the capital of Ukraine) to work. There's a dojo and another sensei (3d dan), more experienced then the local one. 3d dan is a good start I believe, I'm going to take it seriously and thinking about going to Japan in future to learn from Japanese senseis. As I said I was never serious about MA before which resulted in low achievements, fear of contests and uncompleted education. I feel like I have to finish what I started. Almost 4 years of my life spent and no pleasing achievements. That's just not the right way for me. I was a kid I wasn't really conscious about what I was doing but aspiration to master Aikido still remains despite all the years gone since those times. Actually, SAMBO is Aikido-like and I liked it more then karate or boxing.

3rd dan this, 1st dan that, it really doesn't make any difference, you can have high rankings and be absoloute crap in many respects. Theres more to acheiving martial ability than competitions, in fact they tend to detract from a lot of the more vital qualities, and remember people who complete a martial art are among the very few, focusing on the end only means the journey will take a lot longer to get there.

So, I guess I'm going to start my training very soon. Not for the purpose of learning how to fight but I feel like that something is missing in my life. Something that I was doing back in days when I was a kid. Something that was fulfilling and made me feel complete, in fact, something I was always wanting to start doing. Perhaps this is just a nostalgia but I guess it's not.

Its an itch, we all have them and we scratch them with things we call hobbies.

Jared
02-21-2008, 02:56 AM
sup guys
im studying pankration atm, better known as MMA
my philosophy towards martial arts is just learn whatever you can, sticking to one style is fine, but its something i would never do, i think cross training is one of the best concepts, because there are no restrictions as to what you learn, i just train in boxing primarily, some muay thai, bjj for ground work and some judo techniques.
my instructor is a 3rd dan in Goju kai, and has alot of ring experience in muay thai.
he's been in the martial arts for along time, so he has strong opinions of what works and what doesnt, i personally didnt train in the martial arts for a life changing philosophical experience. But once again i dont think badly against that type of training, its just not for me.
my training is around 40% skills, 60% full contact sparring, with 16ounce gloves and shin guards, mouthguard, and headguard.
conditioning work is done outside, thats just my class im talking about.
i do bodyweight circuits, pullups, dips, pushups, bodyweight rows, situps, etc etc
i do some weight training....nowhere near as often as i used to though
i think although i learn skills by themselves, the way i apply them in reality is during sparring, when i can find what i believe will work.

thanks
jared

straightXed
02-21-2008, 10:28 AM
sup guys
im studying pankration atm, better known as MMA
my philosophy towards martial arts is just learn whatever you can, sticking to one style is fine, but its something i would never do, i think cross training is one of the best concepts, because there are no restrictions as to what you learn, i just train in boxing primarily, some muay thai, bjj for ground work and some judo techniques.
my instructor is a 3rd dan in Goju kai, and has alot of ring experience in muay thai.
he's been in the martial arts for along time, so he has strong opinions of what works and what doesnt, i personally didnt train in the martial arts for a life changing philosophical experience. But once again i dont think badly against that type of training, its just not for me.
my training is around 40% skills, 60% full contact sparring, with 16ounce gloves and shin guards, mouthguard, and headguard.
conditioning work is done outside, thats just my class im talking about.
i do bodyweight circuits, pullups, dips, pushups, bodyweight rows, situps, etc etc
i do some weight training....nowhere near as often as i used to though
i think although i learn skills by themselves, the way i apply them in reality is during sparring, when i can find what i believe will work.

thanks
jared

The main problem with cherry picking from any martial art is that you really need a solid foundation to work with. Without a solid foundation in one particular art you can easily leave a lot of holes, this is why most MMA's will have a foundation art that is solid and you are then able to take techniques from other arts and adapt them. If you simply take parts of lots of arts then you don't get a complete picture and can often miss important fundamental aspects. So whilst i champion cross training and believe it to have merits i believe if you aren't solid before you cross train you will leave holes.

Xedge mofoX
12-30-2008, 09:52 AM
wow, you guys are crazy! (j/k)

ed, you sound very educated! i dabbled in a little wing chun when i was stationed in Germany...i liked it, but my job over there didn't allow me the freedoms i needed to keep going to class...overall, i liked it alot! i liked that they taught you if there was any way to get out of a physical confrontation, use that avenue first, and fight only if you have no other choice

i then met a good friend in Okinawa that practiced Judo and was also heavy into BJJ...he later went to school in San Jose, CA to practice Judo...i then joined a gym for Muai Thai and there were also some BJJ trainers there...

i'm very novice in each discipline, and i agree wholly with ed's comment about needing a base discipline for that solid foundation, and branch from there

xKPx
12-30-2008, 06:42 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
curcial dude ,
omg I love sambo, but there currently arent any studios near me that teach it.
there fore im stuck with akido. im not saying that akido isnt a good fighting style i would rather be taught sambo .
I have 3 years of akido, 1 of akijitsu, and 6 moths of mma classes.

straightXed
01-01-2009, 06:10 PM
wow, you guys are crazy! (j/k)

ed, you sound very educated! i dabbled in a little wing chun when i was stationed in Germany...i liked it, but my job over there didn't allow me the freedoms i needed to keep going to class...overall, i liked it alot! i liked that they taught you if there was any way to get out of a physical confrontation, use that avenue first, and fight only if you have no other choice

Do you by any chance recall the name of the sifu you trained under?

Segadoway
01-07-2009, 05:37 AM
i am currently practicing wing chun ( my dad was taught by lawrence lee) and a streetfighting adaption to it, i have done some kick boxing, muay thai, krav maga and some other stuff too
________
Vaporizer (http://vaporizer.org/)

straightXed
01-07-2009, 09:20 AM
i am currently practicing wing chun ( my dad was taught by lawrence lee) and a streetfighting adaption to it, i have done some kick boxing, muay thai, krav maga and some other stuff too

Is that the lawrence lee that has a rather mathematical approach to the system?

Segadoway
01-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Is that the lawrence lee that has a rather mathematical approach to the system?

i would say he has more of a practical approach to it, he is an amazing martial artist, i have heard thousands of stories from my dad about him, such as to show the benefits of knuckle conditioning he filled a bucket with ball bearings and punched into it up to the elbow.
________
TTR50 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_TTR50)

straightXed
01-08-2009, 07:54 AM
i would say he has more of a practical approach to it, he is an amazing martial artist, i have heard thousands of stories from my dad about him, such as to show the benefits of knuckle conditioning he filled a bucket with ball bearings and punched into it up to the elbow.

Well any other approach to wing chun other than a practical one would be nonsense. I was just trying to confirm it is the same Lawrence Lee that is noted for his mathematical approach and scientific breakdown. It does sound like the same guy as you mentioned some iron palm techniques, is it the same guy that has worked with Kostya Tszyu? Or perhaps you recognise the term Tong Kune Do? Are you in Australia?

Segadoway
01-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Well any other approach to wing chun other than a practical one would be nonsense. I was just trying to confirm it is the same Lawrence Lee that is noted for his mathematical approach and scientific breakdown. It does sound like the same guy as you mentioned some iron palm techniques, is it the same guy that has worked with Kostya Tszyu? Or perhaps you recognise the term Tong Kune Do? Are you in Australia?
yeah he is the guy that worked with kostya tzu and yes i am in australia, i suppose it would be a scientific approach i didnt really think of it like that, by practical i meant more applicable to real life situations, other styles of wing chun arent as "practical"
________
TS250 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuki_TS250)

straightXed
01-09-2009, 08:58 AM
yeah he is the guy that worked with kostya tzu and yes i am in australia, i suppose it would be a scientific approach i didnt really think of it like that, by practical i meant more applicable to real life situations, other styles of wing chun arent as "practical"

Yeah, thats the guy that wrote a load of stuff that broke down elements of wing chun to a mathematical equation, not had the pleasure of meeting him.

Being that wing chun is by its very nature is one of the most applicable arts to real life situations i feel your statement invites disagreement, i only wish i had a penny for every time someone argued their art was more valid to real life situations than another. I would agree that some schools focus differently and i would also agree that there are some shockingly bad schools out there and not just wing chun schools.

I think "real life situation" is a very vague and subjective, for instance, when we train with marines and other military personnel the training has a completely different focus to when we train with civilians aged 50. Both training dynamics relate to real life but the "real life" is different for each. i remember i once went on a seminar focussing on firearms stripping and all kinds of stealthly stuff, it was interesting and an friend who was in the army thought it was brilliant and really useful to him but for my real life it had a lot less validity but we both had real lives, his life means that he doesn't always live in the most desirable places, my life means i have a lot less use for some of the stuff he's learnt.

Wing chun is inherent of quick and simple forceful attacks and no nonsense defence to be used when an altercation is unavoidable, the main crux of the system and the training is about enabling the practitioner to have the structure, balance, power and timing to simply avoid being hit and to hit or incapacitate what is trying to attack you - all seems pretty applicable to real life. Once you have learnt the system you gain enough understanding to take away things that you feel are not necessary...thats the same with all arts but the things one person discards are the things that work best for another...in that sense you may find some small amount of movements or perhaps a shape or two that aren't applicable for you personally but thats the best i can logically reason for the cause of your statement. Most civilians never want an altercation and are just happy to have the tools there ready to help if it is ever needed, generally with WC being a small system a level of proficiency isn't a life time to achieve, the methods of training also allow people to get past to much rationalisation and allow the brain to soak a lot of things up as a natural body reaction, again this seems practical and applicable to real modern lifestyles. I find it very hard to appreciate an opinion that suggests that that is not practical, what does lee do that is more practical? what does wing chun do that is not practical?

Segadoway
01-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Yeah, thats the guy that wrote a load of stuff that broke down elements of wing chun to a mathematical equation, not had the pleasure of meeting him.

Being that wing chun is by its very nature is one of the most applicable arts to real life situations i feel your statement invites disagreement, i only wish i had a penny for every time someone argued their art was more valid to real life situations than another. I would agree that some schools focus differently and i would also agree that there are some shockingly bad schools out there and not just wing chun schools.

I think "real life situation" is a very vague and subjective, for instance, when we train with marines and other military personnel the training has a completely different focus to when we train with civilians aged 50. Both training dynamics relate to real life but the "real life" is different for each. i remember i once went on a seminar focussing on firearms stripping and all kinds of stealthly stuff, it was interesting and an friend who was in the army thought it was brilliant and really useful to him but for my real life it had a lot less validity but we both had real lives, his life means that he doesn't always live in the most desirable places, my life means i have a lot less use for some of the stuff he's learnt.

Wing chun is inherent of quick and simple forceful attacks and no nonsense defence to be used when an altercation is unavoidable, the main crux of the system and the training is about enabling the practitioner to have the structure, balance, power and timing to simply avoid being hit and to hit or incapacitate what is trying to attack you - all seems pretty applicable to real life. Once you have learnt the system you gain enough understanding to take away things that you feel are not necessary...thats the same with all arts but the things one person discards are the things that work best for another...in that sense you may find some small amount of movements or perhaps a shape or two that aren't applicable for you personally but thats the best i can logically reason for the cause of your statement. Most civilians never want an altercation and are just happy to have the tools there ready to help if it is ever needed, generally with WC being a small system a level of proficiency isn't a life time to achieve, the methods of training also allow people to get past to much rationalisation and allow the brain to soak a lot of things up as a natural body reaction, again this seems practical and applicable to real modern lifestyles. I find it very hard to appreciate an opinion that suggests that that is not practical, what does lee do that is more practical? what does wing chun do that is not practical?
some of the movements are less practical in a streefight situation, by real life situation i am refering to the average person, and if they get attacked on the street
________
silversurfer reviews (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/silver-surfer)

straightXed
01-10-2009, 07:14 AM
some of the movements are less practical in a streefight situation, by real life situation i am refering to the average person, and if they get attacked on the street

what movements are you talking about?

Are they just less practical for you? Or are they less practical for everyone?

Does it apply to all real life situations? Or just the ones you envisage?

I mean attacks vary so much as do people...what is the average person and attacks can be very different, wing chun doesn't give you a different tool for each possible attack, that would be impractical, instead it gives you a set of tools that are very adaptable. It brings me back to what i was saying about once the system is learnt you make it your own, its a personal thing, you can omit movements you find are not necessary and thus the whole thing is practical, however you may find others will keep things you omit as it works for them. Besides the use of training the movements expands self awareness and ability even if its something you don't use and that is a practical training element.

What experience have you had of other wing chun? Is this an opinion you have built up personally or one you picked up from your father?

Segadoway
01-10-2009, 11:54 PM
what movements are you talking about?

Are they just less practical for you? Or are they less practical for everyone?

Does it apply to all real life situations? Or just the ones you envisage?

I mean attacks vary so much as do people...what is the average person and attacks can be very different, wing chun doesn't give you a different tool for each possible attack, that would be impractical, instead it gives you a set of tools that are very adaptable. It brings me back to what i was saying about once the system is learnt you make it your own, its a personal thing, you can omit movements you find are not necessary and thus the whole thing is practical, however you may find others will keep things you omit as it works for them. Besides the use of training the movements expands self awareness and ability even if its something you don't use and that is a practical training element.

What experience have you had of other wing chun? Is this an opinion you have built up personally or one you picked up from your father?
more traditional styles of wing chun can be less practical is all im saying, it is my opinion that was sort of influenced by my father teaching me a different style as well
________
Honda CBR600F (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CBR600F)

straightXed
01-11-2009, 11:06 AM
more traditional styles of wing chun can be less practical is all im saying, it is my opinion that was sort of influenced by my father teaching me a different style as well

I know thats all you are saying but you don't seem to be able to point at any movements or particular schools or lineages or anything to make what you are saying stand up. It comes across as a rather sweeping and unsubstantiated statement and the reason i have focussed on that is because those kind of statements breed ignorance. Thats why i asked you all the questions about your experience of this "less practical" art and the particulars of the movements and their practicality in reference to others etc.

Its obvious i disagree with your opinion and have put forward the reasons for that and i guess it seems you have no real reasons to hold your opinion that you can share. So i guess we should just leave it at that.

Segadoway
01-11-2009, 06:24 PM
I know thats all you are saying but you don't seem to be able to point at any movements or particular schools or lineages or anything to make what you are saying stand up. It comes across as a rather sweeping and unsubstantiated statement and the reason i have focussed on that is because those kind of statements breed ignorance. Thats why i asked you all the questions about your experience of this "less practical" art and the particulars of the movements and their practicality in reference to others etc.

Its obvious i disagree with your opinion and have put forward the reasons for that and i guess it seems you have no real reasons to hold your opinion that you can share. So i guess we should just leave it at that.

yeah i don't have that good a knowledge of it, but there was a few styles (i'm really not sure of the name) who's movements seemed to be best for defending against other martial artists and not people in general

straightXed
01-12-2009, 08:14 AM
yeah i don't have that good a knowledge of it, but there was a few styles (i'm really not sure of the name) who's movements seemed to be best for defending against other martial artists and not people in general

Perhaps thats just a training method that can be learnt from and those lessons could be, in actual fact, relative and applicable to "real life" situations. It would be very beneficial for your opinions validity and for my understanding if you could actually point to something that highlights what you claim. I personally feel that the majority of wing chun is highly applicable and useful in "real life" and thus dispels your claim.

xMaggotAzzAx
04-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Hi guys.

Just wanted to post on that I have a Black Belt in Tae-Kwon-Do (a Korean martial art for people who don't know)and have studied it for 4 years. I don do it anymore tho.

Segadoway
04-16-2009, 06:00 AM
Perhaps thats just a training method that can be learnt from and those lessons could be, in actual fact, relative and applicable to "real life" situations. It would be very beneficial for your opinions validity and for my understanding if you could actually point to something that highlights what you claim. I personally feel that the majority of wing chun is highly applicable and useful in "real life" and thus dispels your claim.

I agree, i don't know what the fuck i was on about then....
My current view is that there is no best style, only people that are better at it, sure some styles may be easier to learn but if you are good enough at one style then it will be just as practical as another style.

straightXed
04-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Hi guys.

Just wanted to post on that I have a Black Belt in Tae-Kwon-Do (a Korean martial art for people who don't know)and have studied it for 4 years. I don do it anymore tho.

This reminds me of an interesting conversation i had once, a guy i knew used to train heavily in karate, he held black belts in two styles of karate but he hadn't trained in about 7 years. He still considered himself black belt but i had this issue about how a black belt resembles abilty at a certain level of the art, so while i don't dispute his ability to use karate and i admire the dedication he put in i wondered if you could still consider yourself black belt. I mean 7 years out of training makes me think of it as more of a case as "was black belt" instead of "is black belt".

TKD is interesting though, a work collegue is big into it and visits korea quite often, he has some good stories!!

Segadoway
04-16-2009, 10:36 PM
This reminds me of an interesting conversation i had once, a guy i knew used to train heavily in karate, he held black belts in two styles of karate but he hadn't trained in about 7 years. He still considered himself black belt but i had this issue about how a black belt resembles abilty at a certain level of the art, so while i don't dispute his ability to use karate and i admire the dedication he put in i wondered if you could still consider yourself black belt. I mean 7 years out of training makes me think of it as more of a case as "was black belt" instead of "is black belt".

TKD is interesting though, a work collegue is big into it and visits korea quite often, he has some good stories!!

I don't think he is a black belt, if he doesn't practice his art any more.......

xMaggotAzzAx
04-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Tae-Kwon-Do is a bit different to Karate and Tae-Kwon-Do is more of a sport based martial art and is used in the olympics.

As for considering myself a black belt, i still do as i think the techniques you train so hard on for that time stay with you for life and you can use them if necessary. I also do a bit of self-defence like arm locks, wrist locks etc. prefer TKD

I wanna try a new martial art as well Muay Thai looks quite interesting.

straightXed
04-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Tae-Kwon-Do is a bit different to Karate and Tae-Kwon-Do is more of a sport based martial art and is used in the olympics.

As for considering myself a black belt, i still do as i think the techniques you train so hard on for that time stay with you for life and you can use them if necessary. I also do a bit of self-defence like arm locks, wrist locks etc. prefer TKD

I wanna try a new martial art as well Muay Thai looks quite interesting.

I don't think the difference between karate and TKD makes too much difference in this case. I mean the guy I work with who is big into TKD was a black belt way back in his early 20's and stopped, he started up again in his 40's and had to relearn a lot of stuff. He still knew a lot of it and understood it but there was still an element of relearning. In terms of blacjk belt denoting a standard its hard for it to do so if you are out of training for a long time.

Segadoway
04-19-2009, 12:28 AM
I hope he wasn't one of those people that go to a shitty dojo and get their black belt in 6 months....

straightXed
04-19-2009, 11:47 AM
I hope he wasn't one of those people that go to a shitty dojo and get their black belt in 6 months....

Who are you talking to? Or about?

Segadoway
04-20-2009, 04:23 AM
Who are you talking to? Or about?

Sorry i meant to quote you, i was refering to the guy you were talking about, around my area there are these people that go to $5 dojos and get a black belt in 6 months and think they are prepared for anything.

straightXed
04-20-2009, 07:37 AM
Sorry i meant to quote you, i was refering to the guy you were talking about, around my area there are these people that go to $5 dojos and get a black belt in 6 months and think they are prepared for anything.

no, this guy is pretty serious about his training.

xMaggotAzzAx
04-20-2009, 10:48 AM
6 months that's ridiculous. how can you believe that's all you need? stupid people :(

its more than just a black belt though its having that knowledge and pride of achieving that level.

Segadoway
04-22-2009, 01:02 AM
no, this guy is pretty serious about his training.

thats good, i'm so sick of those guys :)

chino
04-22-2009, 02:27 AM

i keep up with things related to mma. and ive never heard of this. and im filipino...
well i guess imma have to catch up lol

xchainxofxstrengthx
12-21-2009, 04:28 PM
I used to Kick box, but then found every day i was doing something . As well as having a full time job which in the summer required weekends too and a two day evening job and one night a week at collge was just too much. Then the class got moved as the hall they were usuing put their rates up and the club couldnt afford to train there. So they moved outa town and i couldnt ever get to them.
But i have heard they are back, so i may go join up again as now i have finished my college course.
Kick boxing was a fun thing,i didnt ever want to do comps although they would like you to.
It kept me very fit, what with bmx too.
A friend started it with me and she dropped out after two lessons.The training was real hard very disaplined. It was great!

XCarsonSCX
01-17-2010, 01:49 PM
I did Pankration which is a greek mixed martial art, I did that for two years. I also did Escrima for a year. But I stopped those cause I wrestle and do some jujitsu to help with trows and stuff for wrestling.

JamieLynneLotus
11-11-2011, 09:41 AM
I'm into MMA. My brother goes to a gym and practices it. I have a lot of respect for Martial Arts and MMA. Fighting as a sport is something I value. It also brings my family and I together because we all sit down when the fights are on and watch them as good family fun. My ex husband was also into martial arts and taught me some self-defense techniques so as to keep me from falling victim to mortal folly. I love it! I'll be watching the Dos Santos/ Velazquez fight tomorrow night.

SsXeMF
09-03-2012, 04:06 AM
This thread is a clusterfuck of bullshit. First off, wing chun teacher guy did what all wing chun dudes do which is to obfuscate. Wing chun in the majority sucks. Lawrence Lee (RIP) trained in other martial arts because of the terrible deficiencies of WC. Anyway, i know this thread is long forgotten but i cannot abide by bullshit. If you want to do martial arts, do a martial art worth doing. It must be trained in an alive manner. Anyone claiming they are too deadly to spar is worthy only of derision and is likely a charlatan.

Check out bullshido dot net to learn more.