PDA

View Full Version : Almost Fell Off The Edge

sXe Commish
05-05-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm not quite sure if this is the best area to make a thread like this, but I"m looking for some advice and pep talk.

As some of you might remember from my introduction last month - i was heavy on the alcohol and heavy on the smoking. I have however commited to straight edge and im heading on my 6th month soon (might sound meager but im highly commited and true to this philosophy).
However last night I attended a party where all my friends were. They all drank, smoked their pot, had their sex, ect. There wasn't an ounce of peer preasure since they know if they temp me they'll end up face down on the floor - but an incident occured with one of my ladyfriends that crushed me. I became angered and attemped to start a fight which landed me with an other friend insulting and humiliating me infront of me entire entourage.

I must admit - i was very close to breaking down - i left the party for a short time and was so depressed and discouraged that i attempted to drown my sorrow with alcohol and smokes. Gladly, a true friend (not sXe but he supports me more then anyone) was there to prevent me before the poissoning was able to reach me.

Afterwards i was even more ashamed at the fact that i was too weak to resist such a blow, which made me feel even worse.

Can anyone give me advice on things I should do to prevent somrthing like this from happening again? or things that might get my smile back up so that i can get back to enjoying my night?

It would be apreciated - but please dont critisize me too harshly.

xsecx
05-06-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm not quite sure if this is the best area to make a thread like this, but I"m looking for some advice and pep talk.

As some of you might remember from my introduction last month - i was heavy on the alcohol and heavy on the smoking. I have however commited to straight edge and im heading on my 6th month soon (might sound meager but im highly commited and true to this philosophy).
However last night I attended a party where all my friends were. They all drank, smoked their pot, had their sex, ect. There wasn't an ounce of peer preasure since they know if they temp me they'll end up face down on the floor - but an incident occured with one of my ladyfriends that crushed me. I became angered and attemped to start a fight which landed me with an other friend insulting and humiliating me infront of me entire entourage.

I must admit - i was very close to breaking down - i left the party for a short time and was so depressed and discouraged that i attempted to drown my sorrow with alcohol and smokes. Gladly, a true friend (not sXe but he supports me more then anyone) was there to prevent me before the poissoning was able to reach me.

Afterwards i was even more ashamed at the fact that i was too weak to resist such a blow, which made me feel even worse.

Can anyone give me advice on things I should do to prevent somrthing like this from happening again? or things that might get my smile back up so that i can get back to enjoying my night?

It would be apreciated - but please dont critisize me too harshly.

if you had a serious problem with drugs and alcohol. you might want to seriously consider either getting new friends or avoiding situations with larges amounts of drugs and alcohol, edge or not. if you're not around it, there's less of a chance of temptation if it isn't around.

sXe Commish
05-09-2007, 01:34 PM
I have considered finding a new group of pals to be around. However, being the only edge kid at my school (over 1000 people) and only personally knowing ONE other Straight Edge group in Ottawa, there's not much I can do.

Its not actually my friends who tempted me, it's just the fact that I used to be heavy on drinking (my reputation for this still scars me) and when I'm feeling angry, I tend to calm down when I'm high on something.

Next party I'm hoping to avoid the assholes, if not, I'll take my anger out on them rather then on myself.

Thanks for the bit of advice.

straightXed
05-09-2007, 02:29 PM
I have considered finding a new group of pals to be around. However, being the only edge kid at my school (over 1000 people) and only personally knowing ONE other Straight Edge group in Ottawa, there's not much I can do.

Its not actually my friends who tempted me, it's just the fact that I used to be heavy on drinking (my reputation for this still scars me) and when I'm feeling angry, I tend to calm down when I'm high on something.

Next party I'm hoping to avoid the assholes, if not, I'll take my anger out on them rather then on myself.

Thanks for the bit of advice.

Good way to avoid the assholes is avoid the party's they attend. And if you do decide to attend the same party as the assholes i would offer the advice of not taking your anger out on them as that would lead to an equally self destructive path. You need to figure out better ways to deal with your anger.

xANTI-HUMANx
05-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Find another way to get your anger out- for example, Henry Rollins used weights.

AModernMyth007
05-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Good way to avoid the assholes is avoid the party's they attend. And if you do decide to attend the same party as the assholes i would offer the advice of not taking your anger out on them as that would lead to an equally self destructive path. You need to figure out better ways to deal with your anger.

Will second this.

WorkingClassSkin
06-03-2007, 07:52 AM
Find another way to get your anger out- for example, Henry Rollins used weights.
Hell yeah! Go to the gym or go buy some weights to use at home. Great stress relief. When I get pissed (common occurrence with my job) I go to the gym and crush some weights. I feel better afterwards in more ways than one. After a while, you'll be so proud of the body you've created through all your hard work, you wouldn't be able to stomach the thought of abusing it with alcohol or cigarettes.

It's a good support system.

WorkingClassSkin
06-03-2007, 07:54 AM
Added bonus: Nobody tries to force their opinions upon a guy who can bench press 475 pounds.

It's nice to be respected.

rodrigo
06-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Added bonus: Nobody tries to force their opinions upon a guy who can bench press 475 pounds.

i thought that was called fear

WorkingClassSkin
06-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Either/or. Hahaha!

straightXed
06-03-2007, 02:59 PM

gosh, can you bench press 475 pounds?

WorkingClassSkin
06-03-2007, 04:28 PM
478 last week. Still working on 500, but I'm sure that's a long way off. I've been working toward that goal for 3 years now. *sigh* Someday. Hahaha!

straightXed
06-03-2007, 05:21 PM
478 last week. Still working on 500, but I'm sure that's a long way off. I've been working toward that goal for 3 years now. *sigh* Someday. Hahaha!

Wow, i guess i'll be keeping all my opinions to myself then!!! You seem like a very strong man.

rodrigo
06-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Wow, i guess i'll be keeping all my opinions to myself then!!! You seem like a very strong man.
yeah, but you can make fun of him while he's not around

WorkingClassSkin
06-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Definitely. Have at it! Hahahaha!

AModernMyth007
06-03-2007, 08:39 PM

*Runs*

PROPER JERK
06-04-2007, 01:11 AM

Umm thats pretty fuckin incredible, how old are you?

WorkingClassSkin
06-04-2007, 05:18 AM
26 last month. Old enough to start feeling old. Hahaha!

PROPER JERK
06-04-2007, 06:06 AM
is that ur 1 rep max? I've been lifting since I was 16 (20 now) and I have never bothered with trying to find my max I can do but at the moment I do 5x5 230 lbs. Ur gonna have to hook me up with ur training secrets lol.

straightXed
06-04-2007, 10:20 AM

less about what i can do and more about what he can do please!

D1988
06-04-2007, 11:55 AM

Pick you up, spin you around a few times and throw you pretty far probably.

straightXed
06-04-2007, 01:08 PM

is all this lost on you?

WorkingClassSkin
06-04-2007, 03:23 PM
is that ur 1 rep max? I've been lifting since I was 16 (20 now) and I have never bothered with trying to find my max I can do but at the moment I do 5x5 230 lbs. Ur gonna have to hook me up with ur training secrets lol.
Yeah. One time. That's it. Hurts too much to try for more in a single day. Like I said, I'm starting to feel old. Hahaha!

Originally Posted by D1988
Sounds like fun!

Oh, and is what lost on whom? Maybe I am lost.

WorkingClassSkin
06-04-2007, 03:28 PM

I forgot to give you a tip...
I don't waste time with many reps at low to medium weight. I do just under my maximum as many times as I can. Usually about 380-410 lbs @ 5-8 reps. As many times per workout as possible. I might be able to do that twice per session. Maybe. ;-)

Seems to work pretty well.

straightXed
06-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Yeah. One time. That's it. Hurts too much to try for more in a single day. Like I said, I'm starting to feel old. Hahaha!

Originally Posted by D1988
Sounds like fun!

Oh, and is what lost on whom? Maybe I am lost.

I think its probably lost on both you and d1988. Incidently there is a quote function along from the bold and italic functions, it might make your posts look and read a little better. Just thought i'd let you know.

D1988
06-04-2007, 04:43 PM
is all this lost on you?

I don't know what you intended at all but I can still make a relevant joke from what you said.

WorkingClassSkin
06-04-2007, 04:48 PM
I think its probably lost on both you and d1988. Incidently there is a quote function along from the bold and italic functions, it might make your posts look and read a little better. Just thought i'd let you know.
Yeah, but I can't figure out how to quote more than one post in a single post. Did that make sense?

straightXed
06-05-2007, 11:11 AM
I don't know what you intended at all but I can still make a relevant joke from what you said.

Yeah but you still don't get what i said or why isaid it right? So it was lost on you, right?

straightXed
06-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Yeah, but I can't figure out how to quote more than one post in a single post. Did that make sense?

you can just copy and paste extra posts and click on quote when you have higlighted the pasted text.

WorkingClassSkin
06-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Pretty sure I got this much of it. What do you wanna know?

straightXed
06-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Pretty sure I got this much of it. What do you wanna know?

From that i'm pretty sure you didn't get it but nevermind.

WorkingClassSkin
06-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Meh. You'll have that. Sorry.

PROPER JERK
06-05-2007, 07:26 PM
I forgot to give you a tip...
I don't waste time with many reps at low to medium weight. I do just under my maximum as many times as I can. Usually about 380-410 lbs @ 5-8 reps. As many times per workout as possible. I might be able to do that twice per session. Maybe. ;-)

Seems to work pretty well.

I find that 5x5 works best, can do a decent amount of weight and still enough reps to stimulate and work the muscle for a decent amount of time... it mostly depends on your goals though and I guess you are more of a strength guy.

WorkingClassSkin
06-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Yeah. Not that tone isn't important, but I'll never be a skinny, cut kinda guy. I'm just going for stupid strong. It seems to work for me. :-)