PDA

View Full Version : A Couple Questions On Culture

xXxShadowfoxXx
03-22-2007, 01:01 AM
Where exactly did "hardcore dancing" come from, and what is your stance on it? I love hardcore music, but I hate seeing a "mosh crew" or some shit of 4 people that don't touch anyone else but themselves and do all the correct movements and stuff, and yeah, maybe they even do it so it looks nice, but then I watch a video of a Minor Threat concert that's push moshing and there is no such thing as this dancing stuff, just people stage diving and going nuts, and to me, that's more hardcore, not knowing how to 2-step and having a pit where 12 people don't touch each other and everyone else watches.

Or maybe I just need to go to shows with real hardcore kids in NYC or something, cuz Jesus, these stupid skinny kids with girl pants I hate. Although I knew they were posers anyhow.

The second thing is, where did the construction gloves thing come from? I'm assuming because it's good for punching people but I could be wrong lol!

Third and final thing is, are most people involved in hardcore against pushmoshing? Because I've seen quite a few people in the community hate-mongering against metal for being just stupid with no actual skill and stupidity for simply pushing, but again, Minor Threat, Judge and Gorilla Biscuits, all didn't have hardcore dancing as far as I know, and had the same nuts moshing that everyone else had.

D1988
03-22-2007, 05:17 AM
Where exactly did "hardcore dancing" come from, and what is your stance on it? I love hardcore music, but I hate seeing a "mosh crew" or some shit of 4 people that don't touch anyone else but themselves and do all the correct movements and stuff, and yeah, maybe they even do it so it looks nice, but then I watch a video of a Minor Threat concert that's push moshing and there is no such thing as this dancing stuff, just people stage diving and going nuts, and to me, that's more hardcore, not knowing how to 2-step and having a pit where 12 people don't touch each other and everyone else watches.

Or maybe I just need to go to shows with real hardcore kids in NYC or something, cuz Jesus, these stupid skinny kids with girl pants I hate. Although I knew they were posers anyhow.

Dancing has become cool amongst kids, certainly over here anyway I don't know about over there in the US. But seriously, if you go to a REAL hardcore show you wont see none of this standing away from everyone doing windmills and spin kicks by yourself. At real hardcore shows you are gonna have people stage diving, people 2 stepping, stomping and singing along, occasionally this arm swinging stuff I guess but at hardcore shows it is nothing like the things you see at metal shows.

The second thing is, where did the construction gloves thing come from? I'm assuming because it's good for punching people but I could be wrong lol!

Construction gloves? what? maybe someone can tell me about this, I haven't heard of this at all.

Third and final thing is, are most people involved in hardcore against pushmoshing? Because I've seen quite a few people in the community hate-mongering against metal for being just stupid with no actual skill and stupidity for simply pushing, but again, Minor Threat, Judge and Gorilla Biscuits, all didn't have hardcore dancing as far as I know, and had the same nuts moshing that everyone else had.

If you go to a hardcore show and people are dancing, singing along and stuff you dont want people coming in head banging and push moshing everyone. I can see kids wanna have a good time but this can be annoying to people. You see push moshing at Slayer and Metallica gigs but thats not the sort of thing that goes on at hardcore shows.

These new age, metalcore ninja fighting types do have a hatred towards kids push moshing though, I have seen this.

I ain't no mosh buddha or anything, I am just saying how things appear to me in the area I live and to the shows I have been to outwith my area.

People will be able to tell you where dancing came from, all I know is that the dancing nowadays all came from slam dancing that started up back in the 80's.

xXxShadowfoxXx
03-23-2007, 09:23 AM
If you go to a hardcore show and people are dancing, singing along and stuff you dont want people coming in head banging and push moshing everyone. I can see kids wanna have a good time but this can be annoying to people. You see push moshing at Slayer and Metallica gigs but thats not the sort of thing that goes on at hardcore shows.

But again, I reiterate, there was no hardcore dancing in original hardcore shows.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7276661015866522175&q=minor+threat&hl=en

Like, that looks like a lot more fun then what goes on now, which is nobody moving, and for Christs sake, I saw this one video where kids were hardcore dancing, and the other kid is still doing that but he's trying to incorparate the actual slam dancing part of it and bumping into him, and he like flips out and starts punching the kid and they stop the show. I'm like, if you are really hardcore, you should be able to take a little shoving, shouldn't you?

And I always viewed hardcore dancing as using in these kind of close mosh pits to make it more extreme, instead of just an open pit with like, 12 people.

I dunno, I love hardcore, hardcore is my favorite music, all of my ideals are hardcore, but then I love the gigantic mosh pits at metal shows too, and a lot of hardcore kids hate that.

xsecx
03-23-2007, 09:45 AM
But again, I reiterate, there was no hardcore dancing in original hardcore shows.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7276661015866522175&q=minor+threat&hl=en

Like, that looks like a lot more fun then what goes on now, which is nobody moving, and for Christs sake, I saw this one video where kids were hardcore dancing, and the other kid is still doing that but he's trying to incorparate the actual slam dancing part of it and bumping into him, and he like flips out and starts punching the kid and they stop the show. I'm like, if you are really hardcore, you should be able to take a little shoving, shouldn't you?

And I always viewed hardcore dancing as using in these kind of close mosh pits to make it more extreme, instead of just an open pit with like, 12 people.

I dunno, I love hardcore, hardcore is my favorite music, all of my ideals are hardcore, but then I love the gigantic mosh pits at metal shows too, and a lot of hardcore kids hate that.

when do you think hardcore dancing started? and when do you think people stopped slam dancing?

D1988
03-23-2007, 09:49 AM

Everything develops and changes, these "original" shows you speak of would have been over 20 years ago, obviously everything is not going to stay the same as it was at shows from 20 odd years ago.

That LOOKS alot more fun. Have you ever been to a hardcore show? Once you experience a real hardcore show you will realise how awesome it all is.

People get hit during dancing, if they are going to bitch and start fights because of this they should get the hell out of the way or don't go to the show if they are going to bitch about getting hit a little.

Again you are relating to the sort of dancing that would go on at a As I Lay Dying show or something, huge open floor, a few guys standing fighting invisible ninja's. I have seen that stuff go on at METAL shows not hardcore shows. At a hardcore show its non stop people 2 stepping, singing along, stage diving and dancing.

xXxShadowfoxXx
03-24-2007, 07:21 AM
Well, like I said, I used to hate the whole hardcore dancing thing, but that's because scene kids with girl pants gave it a bad name. I was talking to someone on AIM who actually was from NYC and would go to like Irate shows and what not, and how basically it's the same kind of thing you see with Ghetto things being subverted because white suburban kids start doing it and THEN everyone thinks it's stupid. But it's grown on me, and viewing the history and what not, I actually like it a lot more.

My only problem at all is kids who are TOO hardcore to ever even listen to metal or have fun at like, a braveheart type thing, which I also think is amazingly fun, along with push moshing.

But out of my whole group of friends, I noticed that, you kind of have to be a little more hardcore to dance like that, cuz you could get your nose broen and stuff, and my friends always showed distress at that, that they'd rather go to a metal push mosh and be safe then get windmill kicked in the face by some amazingly built dude. So yeah, hardcore dancing is hardcore. Just no girl pants Please.

xsecx
03-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Well, like I said, I used to hate the whole hardcore dancing thing, but that's because scene kids with girl pants gave it a bad name. I was talking to someone on AIM who actually was from NYC and would go to like Irate shows and what not, and how basically it's the same kind of thing you see with Ghetto things being subverted because white suburban kids start doing it and THEN everyone thinks it's stupid. But it's grown on me, and viewing the history and what not, I actually like it a lot more.

My only problem at all is kids who are TOO hardcore to ever even listen to metal or have fun at like, a braveheart type thing, which I also think is amazingly fun, along with push moshing.

But out of my whole group of friends, I noticed that, you kind of have to be a little more hardcore to dance like that, cuz you could get your nose broen and stuff, and my friends always showed distress at that, that they'd rather go to a metal push mosh and be safe then get windmill kicked in the face by some amazingly built dude. So yeah, hardcore dancing is hardcore. Just no girl pants Please.

what is this push moshing bullshit?

D1988
03-28-2007, 10:53 AM
what is this push moshing bullshit?

Where a bunch of people jump around in circles pushing each other into other people participating. Bullshit, yes it is haha.

xsecx
03-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Where a bunch of people jump around in circles pushing each other into other people participating. Bullshit, yes it is haha.

yeah, but that's not moshing. that's just pushing people.

D1988
03-28-2007, 10:59 AM
yeah, but that's not moshing. that's just pushing people.

Yeah I understand you here buddy but tell that to say fans of Slayer. They won't like it one bit, it would be hilarious.