PDA

View Full Version : Occasional drinking

hxcsxe
02-04-2007, 11:35 AM
i dont believe this but id like to ask some stuff about sxe.

ok it states u cant drink smoke or or take drugs.
a life without drugs makes you a better person and we dont need to depend on somthing like that atal.
say and edge had one glass of wine at christmas and can still stay positive in life,
does that make him not edge.
as i said i dont believe this its just how some other people see it as they keep asking me it, just wondered what all your answers would be.
thanks

straightXed
02-04-2007, 12:13 PM
i dont believe this but id like to ask some stuff about sxe.

ok it states u cant drink smoke or or take drugs.
a life without drugs makes you a better person and we dont need to depend on somthing like that atal.
say and edge had one glass of wine at christmas and can still stay positive in life,
does that make him not edge.
as i said i dont believe this its just how some other people see it as they keep asking me it, just wondered what all your answers would be.
thanks

How can you be against drinking and drink? Its pretty simple really. Sure you can still have a positive life and drink occasionally but straightedge will not accurately describe you and your beliefs if you do drink.

X-Over-O
02-05-2007, 10:48 PM
A little white wine or so during celebrations shouldn't harm you, and definately shouldn't strip you of your Straight Edge status at all...

SgtD
02-06-2007, 12:28 AM
A little white wine or so during celebrations shouldn't harm you, and definately shouldn't strip you of your Straight Edge status at all...
i just pounded the keyboard. wow.
if this wasn't a joke, go and find yourself another label!

true till supper!!!

D1988
02-06-2007, 02:48 AM

Right OK, you are joking?

atXdawnXweXburn
02-06-2007, 01:35 PM
true till supper!!!

hahaha, i shot milk from my nose at that.

X-Over-O
02-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Oh my god.

During celebrations, surely? Or, say you are in a situation such as myself...

It is my family's tradition to toast over a turkey with white wine at any celebration. If I did not participate, I would let them all down. Sorry, I do still put my family before myself.

straightXed
02-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Oh my god.

During celebrations, surely? Or, say you are in a situation such as myself...

It is my family's tradition to toast over a turkey with white wine at any celebration. If I did not participate, I would let them all down. Sorry, I do still put my family before myself.

then you arent against drinking and thus not in line with the beliefs of straightedge. if you will let tradition dictate your actions and compromise your beliefs then you should really think about putting yourself first. or realise that your actions don't reflect straightedge. why can't you toast with a soft drink? should a vegan eat turkey on celebrations to follow tradition?

stepinsideissue
02-06-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm curious as to what the tradition is? Is the tradition the toast or is it the alcoholic beverage? There are always alternatives like Ed pointed out. Soda. Sparkling grape juice. What ever. Honestly it sounds like you're using family tradition as an excuse to occasionally drink. I'm sure if you explained your personal beliefs to your family I'm sure they would understand.

PROPER JERK
02-06-2007, 09:44 PM

STATUS LOL.

stepinsideissue
02-06-2007, 11:11 PM
STATUS LOL.

Straight edge is about status. Didn't you know?

D1988
02-07-2007, 02:53 AM
I still don't know if this thread is a joke or not?

Sand Stealer
02-07-2007, 03:23 AM
I still don't know if this thread is a joke or not?

I'm not sure either, D1988, but I don't think it is...

SgtD
02-07-2007, 04:51 AM
unfortunately, the guy is serious

D1988
02-07-2007, 05:53 AM
unfortunately, the guy is serious

Then what he is saying is just plain ridiculous. So ridiculous that I thought he was fooling around up until now.

X-Over-O
02-07-2007, 03:28 PM
I'm curious as to what the tradition is? Is the tradition the toast or is it the alcoholic beverage? There are always alternatives like Ed pointed out. Soda. Sparkling grape juice.

Yes, the tradition is the alcoholic beverage, usually white wine. I can't say no because... I have personal reasons I don't feel comfortable sharing. My grandfather has problems, we'll leave it at that. I absolutely hate the stuff, let me assure you... It is tradition for my family to drink wine on celebrations. Marriages, pregnancy, birth, certain birthdays etc. I can't do anything about it. And yes, any other time I do just drink soda or sparkling grape juice or whatever...

I'm too afraid to speak up to them about my preferences and what I believe in, because I feel as if I have let them down enough already just for being the way I am.

rodrigo
02-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Yes, the tradition is the alcoholic beverage, usually white wine. I can't say no because... I have personal reasons I don't feel comfortable sharing. My grandfather has problems, we'll leave it at that. I absolutely hate the stuff, let me assure you... It is tradition for my family to drink wine on celebrations. Marriages, pregnancy, birth, certain birthdays etc. I can't do anything about it. And yes, any other time I do just drink soda or sparkling grape juice or whatever...

I'm too afraid to speak up to them about my preferences and what I believe in, because I feel as if I have let them down enough already just for being the way I am.
wuss

X-Over-O
02-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Sorry for not feeling like getting kicked out at this point in my life.

rodrigo
02-07-2007, 06:49 PM
the thing is really easy, you wanna drink? then do it. you dont want to, then dont do it.

its your life, and if your parents kick you for not following some stupid tradition, then they are really dumb

PROPER JERK
02-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Straight edge is about status. Didn't you know?

I personally do it bcuz da X's look kewl and crooshal.

And really no family would kick someone out for not drinking...

Personally I dont think you have the will to be straight edge when you cant even get past substituting any other kind of liquid for alcohol with your family tradition.

xGriffox
02-07-2007, 08:11 PM

your family sounds like a bunch of hardasses. You should never feel like you have let your family down for being who and what you are. All i have to say if this is true, that it is messed up.

X-Over-O
02-07-2007, 10:44 PM

Personally I dont think you have the will to be straight edge when you cant even get past substituting any other kind of liquid for alcohol with your family tradition.

It's not about the alcohol side of things! It's just the fact that it's wine. Proper wine. I can't have anything different, I've tried. I tried holding up cola once during a toast, and was told I had to eat in a different room of the house for the rest of the dinner.

See?

Any other time where no toast is involved, I don't drink alcohol. I don't drink anywhere else anyway!

I'm sorry I ever bought this issue up here... I was only hoping for a little support.

And for me, at this point in time, it's not will to be straight edge. It's determination.

SgtD
02-08-2007, 12:11 AM
It's not about the alcohol side of things! It's just the fact that it's wine. Proper wine. I can't have anything different, I've tried. I tried holding up cola once during a toast, and was told I had to eat in a different room of the house for the rest of the dinner.

See?

Any other time where no toast is involved, I don't drink alcohol. I don't drink anywhere else anyway!

I'm sorry I ever bought this issue up here... I was only hoping for a little support.

And for me, at this point in time, it's not will to be straight edge. It's determination.
the thing is, you're not sxe. you're an occasional drinker. It cracks me up how you try to seem so vocational, with your avatar, with your signature, with your posts.
i'm not giving you shit, but you know, "why be something that you're not?"
As for support: you should either step up for yourself, or you're gonna live your life depending on your parents choices and will.

PROPER JERK
02-08-2007, 12:26 AM
How are you determined if you so easily drink, straight edge is staying strong to your beliefs no matter what, not just when the situation suits it. I mean sgtD is right, look at your avatar and under your name, true till death. You totally contradict that by already drinking occasionally. After seeing your topics about not having to listen or be a part of hardcore and now this occasional drinking it pretty much shows you are in no way edge.

straightXed
02-08-2007, 08:49 AM

If you are drinking something you don't want to because of pressure from your family then thats fucked up. If you actually don't object to drinking the wine then you aren't straightedge. And why do you feel being straightedge is a let down? What about it makes you conclude its a let down - ever thought you might be the one being let down?

straightXed
02-08-2007, 08:57 AM

See?

People are essentially being supportive by reflecting just how fucked up it is to drink when you don't want too. If what you say is true then your family are not being reasonable and by abiding by that you are enforcing a tradition you don't support and don't agree with. So you deny yourself your own thought and act as an empty vessel for your parents wishes. You need to change it.

X-Over-O
02-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks guys...

Just in earlier posts I read, I felt as if I was being accused or something... Seriously, I hate the stupid tradition crap. It kills me that I'm pretty much forced to drink alcohol just so that I am allowed to eat in the same room as them. Forced to drink alcohol so I can 'be a man'. I shudder to think of what they would do if I decided to become vegetarian! I speak up at every chance I get. But I've done it so many times now, I feel as if it's a waste of time trying.

I don't think it's only the Straight Edge part of things that let them down, either. They have always been hard working, conforming, conservative citizens and here I am, aspiring to become a tattoo artist and body piercer. I nearly got kicked out for doing my lip, nearly had it ripped out when I did it for the second time, and now every time I do something new I'm just frowned upon.

I try not to let it affect me, so I'm over this whinging...

Thanks.

Josh x

straightXed
02-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks guys...

Just in earlier posts I read, I felt as if I was being accused or something... Seriously, I hate the stupid tradition crap. It kills me that I'm pretty much forced to drink alcohol just so that I am allowed to eat in the same room as them. Forced to drink alcohol so I can 'be a man'. I shudder to think of what they would do if I decided to become vegetarian! I speak up at every chance I get. But I've done it so many times now, I feel as if it's a waste of time trying.

I don't think it's only the Straight Edge part of things that let them down, either. They have always been hard working, conforming, conservative citizens and here I am, aspiring to become a tattoo artist and body piercer. I nearly got kicked out for doing my lip, nearly had it ripped out when I did it for the second time, and now every time I do something new I'm just frowned upon.

I try not to let it affect me, so I'm over this whinging...

Thanks.

Josh x

so does this mean you are going to avoid alcohol regardless of family tradition now?

Sand Stealer
02-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Could you go through the motions of the toast, for example raising your glass and putting it to your lips, without actually taking the wine into your mouth? I can understand you don't want to upset your family, but it is pretty fucked up that they don't support such a positive belief.

atXdawnXweXburn
02-09-2007, 07:58 PM
I personally do it bcuz da X's look kewl and crooshal.

i dunno. my mom would probably do it. she kicked me out for refusing to get up and watch her child on her day off so she could go buy dope.

so yeah, i could see it happening

atXdawnXweXburn
02-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Could you go through the motions of the toast, for example raising your glass and putting it to your lips, without actually taking the wine into your mouth? I can understand you don't want to upset your family, but it is pretty fucked up that they don't support such a positive belief.

thats a great point, or if nothing else you could just replace yours with white grape juice when nobody was looking

straightXed
02-10-2007, 09:57 AM
thats a great point, or if nothing else you could just replace yours with white grape juice when nobody was looking

It is a great point, incidently i made it on the first page.

ClownMagix
01-25-2012, 07:48 PM
I think you shouldn't whats so ever that's like a vegetarian saying "I will eat a steak cause its my birthday!"