PDA

View Full Version : I am Angered by this...

FrAgile yet DeViOus
10-16-2006, 03:42 PM
PLEASE READ, its long but important

I am a Straight Edge 17 year old girl that has been clean for about 2 years now. Ive recently become sick and tired of talking to people and hearing people talk about how much they can drink, or how much fun they had smoking over the weekend or how they go so toasted that they pissed and slept in it. I honestly think these individuals are a bunch of raving idiots for thinking that they are so cool that they are FOLLOWERS. This is annoying to me yes, but that's not why im writing this.

I began to search for a website where i could come to and talk to people that share my beliefs and values about being drug free, alcohol free, and staying away from premiscous (spelling?) or premarital sex. I found a few sites and as i read i also began to realize that being straight edge isn't just about the "3 frees" but it is also about music. Hardcore music. I am not into labels but i guess if you saw me you would prolly say i am "preppy" bc i am into fashion and what not. I do not act like a preppy bitch tho who is mean to people and make fun of people. I have friends in all walks of life and i am just me. I like all types of music from country to classical to hardcore to rap to hip hop to r&b to oldies. I like everything.

When i came upon this website i began reading the introduction and HERE is where i became most angry "You're not straight edge if you have no idea how it feels to be in a pit, arm outstretched, fingerpointing, and singing along with a straight edge anthem" So since i have never been in a mosh pit or sang the straight edge anthem or never been to a concert, that means im not straight edge? How can someone tell me that i am not straight edge because i havent done those things? That's what it says according to the introduction to this website. Im angry because i feel that because i havent done those things, i am being labeld as a fake, not real. So am i not loyal to myself because i havent done those things? I enjoy the music but i havent been in a pit so i must not be straight edge. I am not quite so sure that being straight edge is about being TRUE TO YOURSELF. That is what i once thought, but after reading the quote ive included above, i feel like ive been shot down and judged. I understand it is about the music, but it is also about living a clean lifestyle in which we can go on living unchanged by substances and be the people we really are. IT is about breathing the music and also being true to yourself so how is there room to judge others?

i know many of you may disagree with me, but it is how i felt as soon as i read the introducton to this website and i did not recieve a positive feeling from it, the way i thought sXe was supposed to represent. Optimism and being positive while avoiding the negative (drugs, alcohol, and sex)

xsecx
10-16-2006, 04:09 PM

I am a Straight Edge 17 year old girl that has been clean for about 2 years now. Ive recently become sick and tired of talking to people and hearing people talk about how much they can drink, or how much fun they had smoking over the weekend or how they go so toasted that they pissed and slept in it. I honestly think these individuals are a bunch of raving idiots for thinking that they are so cool that they are FOLLOWERS. This is annoying to me yes, but that's not why im writing this.

I began to search for a website where i could come to and talk to people that share my beliefs and values about being drug free, alcohol free, and staying away from premiscous (spelling?) or premarital sex. I found a few sites and as i read i also began to realize that being straight edge isn't just about the "3 frees" but it is also about music. Hardcore music. I am not into labels but i guess if you saw me you would prolly say i am "preppy" bc i am into fashion and what not. I do not act like a preppy bitch tho who is mean to people and make fun of people. I have friends in all walks of life and i am just me. I like all types of music from country to classical to hardcore to rap to hip hop to r&b to oldies. I like everything.

When i came upon this website i began reading the introduction and HERE is where i became most angry "You're not straight edge if you have no idea how it feels to be in a pit, arm outstretched, fingerpointing, and singing along with a straight edge anthem" So since i have never been in a mosh pit or sang the straight edge anthem or never been to a concert, that means im not straight edge? How can someone tell me that i am not straight edge because i havent done those things? That's what it says according to the introduction to this website. Im angry because i feel that because i havent done those things, i am being labeld as a fake, not real. So am i not loyal to myself because i havent done those things? I enjoy the music but i havent been in a pit so i must not be straight edge. I am not quite so sure that being straight edge is about being TRUE TO YOURSELF. That is what i once thought, but after reading the quote ive included above, i feel like ive been shot down and judged. I understand it is about the music, but it is also about living a clean lifestyle in which we can go on living unchanged by substances and be the people we really are. IT is about breathing the music and also being true to yourself so how is there room to judge others?

i know many of you may disagree with me, but it is how i felt as soon as i read the introducton to this website and i did not recieve a positive feeling from it, the way i thought sXe was supposed to represent. Optimism and being positive while avoiding the negative (drugs, alcohol, and sex)

to flip it, how can you consider yourself straight edge if you haven't? If you understand that it's also about the music then why would you be upset at a statement saying just that?

rodrigo
10-18-2006, 02:45 PM

you should be angry with the people who gave you a wrong idea of what straight edge is, not dusty or this website (or any other sxe dude around the world)

xvunderx
10-18-2006, 05:05 PM
I don't understand why your so angry about this? You know that to be sXe you have to be apart of the hardcore scene, and you either are or you aren't?

A lot of people come here thinking that all sXe means is drug free, you say you believe differently from them, and that you are into HC so I don't see the problem.

Maybe you haven't been to a show yet for whatever reason, but once you do you'll understand what that statement means, and how it feels to be connected to the community around you like that.

On the flip side, if you aren't HC then maybe the label doesn't fit. just because a person isn't sXe doesn't mean their drug free lifestyle is weak, it just means that they are something different to sxe, and clean living should be the thing a person is most proud of, not some catchy words if the words don't fit.

Also just because a person isn't sxe, that doesn't mean they can't find support for their drug free lifestyle in those that are.

straightXed
10-18-2006, 05:24 PM
I don't understand why your so angry about this? You know that to be sXe you have to be apart of the hardcore scene, and you either are or you aren't?

A lot of people come here thinking that all sXe means is drug free, you say you believe differently from them, and that you are into HC so I don't see the problem.

Maybe you haven't been to a show yet for whatever reason, but once you do you'll understand what that statement means, and how it feels to be connected to the community around you like that.

On the flip side, if you aren't HC then maybe the label doesn't fit. just because a person isn't sXe doesn't mean their drug free lifestyle is weak, it just means that they are something different to sxe, and clean living should be the thing a person is most proud of, not some catchy words if the words don't fit.

Also just because a person isn't sxe, that doesn't mean they can't find support for their drug free lifestyle in those that are.

I agree, theres no point in being angry as it doesn't change who someone is, they can still be free from drugs which is a great thing. I can understand being angry that what someone has thought for 2 years turns out to not actually be what they thought but its simply a case of taking a step back in my opinion. Like i say it makes little difference to how they lead their life, nothings changed! Like you said, the action remains the same and the important part, not the catchy title.

FrAgile yet DeViOus
10-19-2006, 01:13 PM
to flip it, how can you consider yourself straight edge if you haven't? If you understand that it's also about the music then why would you be upset at a statement saying just that?

the answer is because being straight edge isnt JUST about the music. And that's what i got when i read the intro. I felt alienated and judged by it. I listen to all music, which i said yet in the introduction it is saying that it doesnt matter. If you haven't done this this or this, then ur not straight edge. I was expecting to find other people that have the same values as me on this website, but when i read the introduction, i felt like i wasn't a part of a society of people that make good decisions and live their life free of poison. It's all a matter of opinion yet no matter whose opinion it is, straight edge isnt JUST about the music, which is what the intro was hinting to.

FrAgile yet DeViOus
10-19-2006, 01:16 PM
you should be angry with the people who gave you a wrong idea of what straight edge is, not dusty or this website (or any other sxe dude around the world)

i'm not angry with anyone in particular. I was just angered at the fact that what was written in the introduction made me feel alienated because i hadn't done those things. I basically intrepreted it as "If you haven't done these things, you don't belong here, your not true to yourself, so get out"

FrAgile yet DeViOus
10-19-2006, 01:24 PM

Point well taken. The only thing is that i consider myself straight edge no matter what. No i haven't been to a show and i would actually like to keep my nose bones in alignement (lol my brother got hit pretty bad in a pit and the person broke his nose, he's the one that influenced me to change my semi destructive lifestyle) but yes i do like the music. Im not into negative labels and the "straight edge" label is one that most people know of as being what i am drug free, alcohol free, and true to myself. I just wanted to make a point that it's not just about the music. Its also not just about being drug and alcohol free i know that. But it's not right to tell someone that they aren't straight edge because they haven't done the things named in the intro. That's basically why i wrote.

xvunderx
10-19-2006, 02:46 PM
The intro is to point out that it isn't JUST a drug free lifestyle, the music and hardcore scene is just as important a part of sxe as the drug free bit.

Your "The only thing is that i consider myself straight edge no matter what." is exactly the reason the intro is there, because a lot of people have decided this and a lot of people who are drug free but not sXe take this line are are killing an active subculture.

No where has it said that in this site that sxe isn't about being drug free, or that being drug free isn't important, all it's saying is that it's about living a drug free lifestyle, and being involved with the hardcore subculture.

Thats like saying that a SHARP (Skinheads Against Racial Prejudicesite) is stupid because it talks about Oi music and shaving your head, sure, SHARPs are against racism, but they are also skinheads too, and you can't be SHARP unless you have the full package.

Lets compare apples to apples shall we....

Kid A: "Yeah I'm strongly against racism"
Kid B: "Woah so you're Sharp?"
Kid A: "What's that?"
Kid B: "You know it means your against racism"
Kid A "Huh I guess I am Sharp."

Kid A then tells people they are Sharp, and every one is "cool so that means your against racism?"

Kid A then goes to a Sharp website because they are sick of kids at school saying the N word and need support, but when they get there there is all this talk about how to bic your head extra smooth, and the best pubs or places to buy bomber jackets. Every one has been to an Oi show, in fact most people met their other Sharp friends at an Oi show. Kid A gets pissed, "Dude! Does racism mean nothing to you people!?"

The Sharp group say "of course, this is a Sharp board, we have all kinds of notices about rally, education, and fights with Nazi skins?"

Kid A says, "I'm not into the head shaving, bomber jacket wearing pub fights and oi stuff"

The Sharps, "so your against Racism too, but you're have no part in the sharp community? I guess you are ARP then and not Sharp, I mean how can you be a Skin Head Against Racial Prejudice if you're not a skin head?"

Kid A: "I don't know, but I;m going to keep calling myself Sharp because all these people outside of your subculture who are in fact ignorant of what the term means think it just means being against racism, so i guess I'll just keep lying to myself and live in ignorance with them."

The Sharps "?????????"

sXe is exactly the same thing, only instead of meaning Skin Heads Against Racial Prejudice, if means hardcore kids against drugs, and a person calling them self a hardcore kid Against drugs if they aren't a HC kid, is just as stupid as a kid who isn't a skin Head calling themselves a skinhead against racism.

They might believe in some of the same things, but they aren't apart of the same subculture and community.

xCAMIx
10-21-2006, 09:18 AM
She makes tons of sense.

xCAMIx
10-21-2006, 09:18 AM
She makes tons of sense.
Fragile that is.

xsecx
10-21-2006, 09:41 AM
She makes tons of sense.

ok. which parts?