PDA

View Full Version : Old People.

xbustedx
09-30-2006, 12:07 AM
Now, the title may be a little mis-leading. While I am going to talk about people of a certain age....or for that matter even younger more so early forties-ish. While I was at a dinner party for one of my parent's friends. I got to talking with a lot of people in their early to mid - 40's and the subject of vinyl came up, then punk and then I naturally brought up Hardcore. Well, something I didnt realize, but a lot of my dad's friends have AMAZING taste in music. I was talking to a guy who was about 46 who was telling me how he saw Minor Threat in '82. And another who was telling me he saw SSD. I was amazed. And of course I told them how jealous I was of all of them. And they brought up a good point. How in today's society, there will always be a few people that will say that "Their time, and their music was the best, and if you werent there, then you really fuckin' missed out". And they brought something to my attention. Because, they all said that they laugh every time they hear something like this in a book or on the internet because...they say "Yeah, I was there...and it wasnt that fucking good". And he told me that "One day, when I'm old and gray, I'll hear someone talking about my time and music that was played and the scene that was there in my day. And I'll say..."I was there...and it wasnt that fucking good". "

And at that I laughed, because I really thought about it and its pretty plausable that...in 30 years I'll hear something about my day on computer or in a book, and they will be talking about how fucking great (blank) was in (blank)...and I'll say..." Yeah, I was there....and it wasnt that fucking good"

stepinsideissue
09-30-2006, 01:38 AM
Now, the title may be a little mis-leading. While I am going to talk about people of a certain age....or for that matter even younger more so early forties-ish. While I was at a dinner party for one of my parent's friends. I got to talking with a lot of people in their early to mid - 40's and the subject of vinyl came up, then punk and then I naturally brought up Hardcore. Well, something I didnt realize, but a lot of my dad's friends have AMAZING taste in music. I was talking to a guy who was about 46 who was telling me how he saw Minor Threat in '82. And another who was telling me he saw SSD. I was amazed. And of course I told them how jealous I was of all of them. And they brought up a good point. How in today's society, there will always be a few people that will say that "Their time, and their music was the best, and if you werent there, then you really fuckin' missed out". And they brought something to my attention. Because, they all said that they laugh every time they hear something like this in a book or on the internet because...they say "Yeah, I was there...and it wasnt that fucking good". And he told me that "One day, when I'm old and gray, I'll hear someone talking about my time and music that was played and the scene that was there in my day. And I'll say..."I was there...and it wasnt that fucking good". "

And at that I laughed, because I really thought about it and its pretty plausable that...in 30 years I'll hear something about my day on computer or in a book, and they will be talking about how fucking great (blank) was in (blank)...and I'll say..." Yeah, I was there....and it wasnt that fucking good"

I know it's hard to predict something that far into the future but as of now I really can't see myself ever saying anthing like that about the music I listen to today.

xvunderx
09-30-2006, 07:05 AM
I can see looking back at things I enjoyed now, that get blown up to almost mythical perportions and thinking "At the time it didn't seem that big" but I can't say it wasn't that good.

xsecx
09-30-2006, 07:18 AM
it's how all history works. yesterday was always better than today. look at the 50s in america. the majority of americans think it was some kind of paradise. To do this you have to actually ignore how things actually were and focus on an idealized version that never existed.

xbustedx
09-30-2006, 09:01 AM
I know it's hard to predict something that far into the future but as of now I really can't see myself ever saying anthing like that about the music I listen to today.

Im not talking about the music, that I listen to today, I am talking about individual shows for instance. For example: If I went to a show tonight, and then in forty years somebody says something like that, I just kind of imagine that happening to me, and then having some little kid coming up to me and saying "wow...you are so lucky for being able to go there and do that" When which I will reply, "It wasnt that good"

Because I mean, I was telling them how jealous I was and stuff like that, that they got to see those bands back then. And then they started telling me how all those people that write that stuff or do whatever on how amazing it was back then are just trying to make their day see m so much better....or something like that, its basically the jist.

straightXed
09-30-2006, 12:06 PM
Im not talking about the music, that I listen to today, I am talking about individual shows for instance. For example: If I went to a show tonight, and then in forty years somebody says something like that, I just kind of imagine that happening to me, and then having some little kid coming up to me and saying "wow...you are so lucky for being able to go there and do that" When which I will reply, "It wasnt that good"

I do see myself as fortunate and perhaps even lucky to be able to be a part of what is going on today. I know heinsight can either make it be either worth a lot less or a lot more than what it actually was but i still think that how much it means to you at the time is relevent to how you see things later on. Sometimes you can really feel as if you are part of an event that you believe carries much merit and will continue to feel that and maybe write about it etc. This may not be true for everyone, like if i go to a show now i may get a much more overwhelming effect from that than someone else in the very same show. If one person says it was the best thing ever and someone else says it wasn't that good then its obvious that its effected different people differently - to this i say believe no one, make your own mind up.

Because I mean, I was telling them how jealous I was and stuff like that, that they got to see those bands back then. And then they started telling me how all those people that write that stuff or do whatever on how amazing it was back then are just trying to make their day see m so much better....or something like that, its basically the jist.

Perhaps the days actually seemed that good to the people that wrote it, perhaps thats why they are writing it and others are just passing it off as a run of the mill kind of thing.

xbustedx
10-01-2006, 02:03 AM
I do see myself as fortunate and perhaps even lucky to be able to be a part of what is going on today. I know heinsight can either make it be either worth a lot less or a lot more than what it actually was but i still think that how much it means to you at the time is relevent to how you see things later on. Sometimes you can really feel as if you are part of an event that you believe carries much merit and will continue to feel that and maybe write about it etc. This may not be true for everyone, like if i go to a show now i may get a much more overwhelming effect from that than someone else in the very same show. If one person says it was the best thing ever and someone else says it wasn't that good then its obvious that its effected different people differently - to this i say believe no one, make your own mind up.

Perhaps the days actually seemed that good to the people that wrote it, perhaps thats why they are writing it and others are just passing it off as a run of the mill kind of thing.

yeah, I guess your right, I mean I can make up my mind about things that happen to me. But I cant make up my mind about things that I wasnt old enough to attend and so I only have the words of the people that were there.

stepinsideissue
10-01-2006, 07:07 PM

Yeah but I've had so much fun at all the shows I've been to. I can't really see saying that. If I didn't think it would have been good I wouldn't have gone. I guess I'm just passionate about music.

XThe EdgeX
10-08-2006, 07:39 PM
same here...i can see myself being 40 and telling my kids that this was what i listend to when i was a kid..........:)(if i have kids)
_john_
xXx

xsecx
10-08-2006, 07:57 PM
same here...i can see myself being 40 and telling my kids that this was what i listend to when i was a kid..........:)(if i have kids)
_john_
xXx

to some of us, 40 doesn't sound all that distant.

stepinsideissue
10-09-2006, 07:18 PM
_john_
xXx

At the age of forty I hope I'm at a show with my kids.

XThe EdgeX
10-13-2006, 01:43 PM
wow i never thought of that...being at a show with your kids...that woud be awsome.......but yeah from me 40 is a way off..heh
_john_
xXx