PDA

View Full Version : Metalcore

xriseupx
05-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Do you know of many strictly straightedge metalcore bands? I know of lots of metalcore bands with edge members, but I don't really know of any metalcore with an edge message.
Suggestions...?

SgtD
05-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Do you know of many strictly straightedge metalcore bands? I know of lots of metalcore bands with edge members, but I don't really know of any metalcore with an edge message.
Suggestions...?
my suggestion:
don't listen to metalcore.

xriseupx
05-02-2006, 10:52 AM
my suggestion:
don't listen to metalcore.

For what? I love metalcore. I always have. I love grindcore, too. Just because I have difficulty finding metalcore bands that speak out against drugs is no reason to stop listening to it. It's more complex than hardcore, the breakdowns are heavier, the vocals are godly -- I'm just a hell of a lot more moved by metalcore than hardcore.

mouseman004
05-02-2006, 04:30 PM
For what? I love metalcore. I always have. I love grindcore, too. Just because I have difficulty finding metalcore bands that speak out against drugs is no reason to stop listening to it. It's more complex than hardcore, the breakdowns are heavier, the vocals are godly -- I'm just a hell of a lot more moved by metalcore than hardcore.

What is metalcore? Is it an actual genre of music or is it one of those words where people think if they add "core" they create a new genre?

xbustedx
05-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Suggestions...?

www.hxcmp3.com/imperil

and www.myspace.com/imperil

xriseupx
05-02-2006, 10:44 PM
What is metalcore? Is it an actual genre of music or is it one of those words where people think if they add "core" they create a new genre?

No.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalcore

As you probably just read, it's a subgenre of metal that has elements of hardcore (the most notable being breakdowns) I don't like straight up metal. Bleh... Not at all. I like metalcore and some hardcore, but no metal.
Read the examples list on the page... Through the eyes of the dead, Prayer for cleansing, Glass Casket, Between the buried and me (some of my favorites)... can all be classified as metalcore.

xriseupx
05-02-2006, 10:51 PM
www.hxcmp3.com/imperil

and www.myspace.com/imperil

They are a strange band.
fucking MASSSSIVE breakdown. Haaaa, I have to respect that.
They're more on the hardcore side than I usually like, but I enjoy this music.
Thanks for the suggestion ;o)

xbustedx
05-02-2006, 11:03 PM
They are a strange band.
fucking MASSSSIVE breakdown. Haaaa, I have to respect that.
They're more on the hardcore side than I usually like, but I enjoy this music.
Thanks for the suggestion ;o)

haha yeah those guys are chill.
well..if you are saying that they are on the "hardcore" side too much.
then you are basically just asking for a Metal Band

in which I can possibly help.

Trivium.
Lamb Of God.
Kill Cadence.

...ect.

xriseupx
05-02-2006, 11:12 PM
I already know of those bands...
And no, I'm not asking for just straight up metal. Just leaning a little more on the metal side than that... Hmm -- the metalcore I listen to... Through the eyes of the dead, glass casket, the acacia strain -- my favorites. They change their timings a lot, and include massive breakdowns. Their message is also a little less metal, and they're not a bunch of staggering drunks, either.
Haha.
But thanks for the suggestions.

xbustedx
05-03-2006, 12:20 AM
I already know of those bands...
And no, I'm not asking for just straight up metal. Just leaning a little more on the metal side than that... Hmm -- the metalcore I listen to... Through the eyes of the dead, glass casket, the acacia strain -- my favorites. They change their timings a lot, and include massive breakdowns. Their message is also a little less metal, and they're not a bunch of staggering drunks, either.
Haha.
But thanks for the suggestions.

haha aight.

and you know Kill Cadence?

xriseupx
05-03-2006, 09:50 AM
Not really. I know *of* them. I listen to a lot of underground shit -- you'd be surprised how many of those bands are interconnected. I've never listened, though, because they don't have songs posted on their myspace.

xdoylex
05-03-2006, 12:38 PM
though they recently broke up, the band Nehemiah was absolutely brutal. Check out their song The King's Collapse. It contains the most epic, brutal, and fucking intense breakdown you've heard, especially live. I hear they're starting a new band. Should be sweet.

stepinsideissue
05-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Suggestions...?

No because then they'd be a hardcore band. Here we go with the metalcore bullshit again.

mouseman004
05-03-2006, 07:34 PM
No.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalcore

As you probably just read, it's a subgenre of metal that has elements of hardcore (the most notable being breakdowns) I don't like straight up metal. Bleh... Not at all. I like metalcore and some hardcore, but no metal.
Read the examples list on the page... Through the eyes of the dead, Prayer for cleansing, Glass Casket, Between the buried and me (some of my favorites)... can all be classified as metalcore.

BTBAM are metal....not metalcore

XshiXnyX
05-03-2006, 08:35 PM
mmmm metal core is some good cooking. cant really stand metal too much though.

xsecx
05-03-2006, 09:20 PM
It shouldn't be here in the first place.
It's presence is a slap in the face.
We don't want it so take it back.
Or you won't like how we'll send it back!
In a body bag...
Don't mix an acid with a base.
Cuz it will blow up in your face!
Hardcore and metal will never gel,
So we're sending your sound back to fucking hell!
In a body bag...
Send it back to the longhairs
In a body bag.

rain on the parade, body bag. truer words were never spoken.

xriseupx
05-03-2006, 09:51 PM
It shouldn't be here in the first place.
It's presence is a slap in the face.
We don't want it so take it back.
Or you won't like how we'll send it back!
In a body bag...
Don't mix an acid with a base.
Cuz it will blow up in your face!
Hardcore and metal will never gel,
So we're sending your sound back to fucking hell!
In a body bag...
Send it back to the longhairs
In a body bag.

rain on the parade, body bag. truer words were never spoken.

Forced rhyme scheme. Very typical of hardcore. Trying to force syllables into rhyming.
Oh, but what a statement! I'm so amazed! Uhm...
Don't make some big fucking deal about "metalcore" -- you don't have to like it, but it doesn't change it...

mouseman004
05-04-2006, 05:35 AM
Forced rhyme scheme. Very typical of hardcore. Trying to force syllables into rhyming.
Don't make some big fucking deal about "metalcore" -- you don't have to like it, but it doesn't change it...

I dont know if others agree, but I dont think it exists, you have metal, or you have hardcore. Everyone may disagree but thats how I see it.

xsecx
05-04-2006, 08:26 AM

what forced rhyme scheme?

and dude, the song was written by a guy who was part of hardcore before you were born and is a sentiment shared by a hell of a lot of people. metalcore is nothing more than a marketing scheme and not a very good one at that.

xriseupx
05-04-2006, 08:56 AM

and dude, the song was written by a guy who was part of hardcore before you were born and is a sentiment shared by a hell of a lot of people. metalcore is nothing more than a marketing scheme and not a very good one at that.

Read through the words, dude -- there are lines where there is a syllable difference of 2 or 3 syllables in a rhyme. Shit like that just shows how poorly written some of these lyrics are.

Who cares how old it is? I don't care if it was written and held as a belief before I was born.
It doesn't change that they are poorly written lyrics.
I understand that hardcore and metal don't "gel" -- I'm not trying to gel the two. The fact is, you have metal, you have hardcore, and you have metalcore. If you listen to what is purely metal, it is a good bit different than metalcore...

You can call metalcore a "marketing scheme" -- it doesn't really matter. The reason I differentiate between metalcore and metal are some of the qualities of metalcore... Some of the rhythms and riffs are influenced by hardcore, and ESPECIALLY the breakdowns. If metal does not have breakdowns, I don't listen to it. I am addicted to them.
What makes metalcore like metal are the speedy rhythms (esp. double bass, trigger), gutteral vocals, poetic and/or dark messages... It's more metal than hardcore, but still has components of hardcore.
If you can't see where metalcore is different than metal, then you haven't really listened to the difference.

xriseupx
05-04-2006, 09:00 AM
I dont know if others agree, but I dont think it exists, you have metal, or you have hardcore. Everyone may disagree but thats how I see it.

You disagree, but you're wrong.
Go here. http://www.prostheticrecords.com/alolindex.html
Every album on that fucking label is an example of metalcore. You don't think metalcore exists because you don't know much about metal, obviously.
I eat, breathe, and live metalcore, basically. I've listened to more fucking metal bands than I'm ever going to remember -- and there is a clear and distinct difference.
Saying there is no such thing as "metalcore" is like saying there is no such thing as "grindcore", or it's like saying there is no such thing as mathmetal, or black metal.
Metalcore is a subgenre of metal, not a subgenre of hardcore. Do you understand?

xsecx
05-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Read through the words, dude -- there are lines where there is a syllable difference of 2 or 3 syllables in a rhyme. Shit like that just shows how poorly written some of these lyrics are.

are we reading the same thing? words rhyming isn't the same as having the same length of meter. It just shows how little you understand the terms you're using.

Who cares how old it is? I don't care if it was written and held as a belief before I was born.
It doesn't change that they are poorly written lyrics.
I understand that hardcore and metal don't "gel" -- I'm not trying to gel the two. The fact is, you have metal, you have hardcore, and you have metalcore. If you listen to what is purely metal, it is a good bit different than metalcore...

So please, show us some well written "metalcore" lyrics. Of course the lyrics were used to demonstrate a point not to illustrate how well written they are, which is of course why you're focusing on that and not what they're actually saying. You say you understanding that they don't gel, and then talk about metalcore which is exactly what the song is talking about.

You can call metalcore a "marketing scheme" -- it doesn't really matter. The reason I differentiate between metalcore and metal are some of the qualities of metalcore... Some of the rhythms and riffs are influenced by hardcore, and ESPECIALLY the breakdowns. If metal does not have breakdowns, I don't listen to it. I am addicted to them.
What makes metalcore like metal are the speedy rhythms (esp. double bass, trigger), gutteral vocals, poetic and/or dark messages... It's more metal than hardcore, but still has components of hardcore.
If you can't see where metalcore is different than metal, then you haven't really listened to the difference.

Lots of things are influenced by other things, it doesn't make them some bastard child of them. Reggae isn't reg-ska. Rock wasn't ja-blu-ck. By calling something metalcore you're trying to actively market to metal fans and hardcore fans, and you've bought into it.

xriseupx
05-04-2006, 10:54 AM
are we reading the same thing? words rhyming isn't the same as having the same length of meter. It just shows how little you understand the terms you're using.

You still saw the point I was making, though.

So please, show us some well written "metalcore" lyrics. Of course the lyrics were used to demonstrate a point not to illustrate how well written they are, which is of course why you're focusing on that and not what they're actually saying. You say you understanding that they don't gel, and then talk about metalcore which is exactly what the song is talking about.

These lyrics are well written. They don't rhyme -- but they don't try to, either. They make a point, and it is very impacting.

"The worst joke they could have told is indicating
that there might have been a sense of hope.
That looks aren't everything; that beauty is only skin deep;
that the world is not so critical and superficial;
and that people can be whatever they want to be,
because based on your appearance at birth,
you may have just lost that freedom.
There was a time that I could live without a sense of pride and a sense
of hope;
a sense of face and dignity;
and attempt to survive on meals full of lies.
That time is not now."

I realize you were using the lyrics to demonstrate a point. I understood the point, and then I criticized the way it was written. I find hardcore lyrics often sounding like a pissed of middle schooler's way of saying "fuck this" and "fuck that".

Anyhow, you're still missing the point. If I just say "metal", people think of bands like... Slipknot, mudvayne -- or even the Black Dahlia Murder. Or they think of Metallica and Slayer.
There's a huge difference. Metal has a lot of subgenres. Metalcore is one.
Stick to your hardcore -- hardcore doesn't own the term "core". You can't deny that "metalcore" bands have some hardcore influence. Mostly just breakdowns, though. It's metal, otherwise.

Lots of things are influenced by other things, it doesn't make them some bastard child of them. Reggae isn't reg-ska. Rock wasn't ja-blu-ck. By calling something metalcore you're trying to actively market to metal fans and hardcore fans, and you've bought into it.

I'm not trying to actively market shit, moron. I'm not a producer, or a label, and I'm not in a band. I'm trying to draw a distinct line for people so they can understand the TYPE of metal I like. We have Death metal, black metal, math metal, thrash metal, acid metal, heavy metal, metal, speed metal... the list goes on -- most of which do not appeal to me. When these genres take in some of the components generally associated with hardcore, it needs a different label, because it changes the flow of the music entirely. Like I said -- mostly breakdowns. Metal + breakdowns = metalcore.
This is a fucking stupid argument. I know you like hardcore and are militant about it. Your opinion is not going to change the face of an entire subgenre of metal. You can say "metalcore doesn't exist", and does that take away what's in metalcore that makes it influenced by hardcore? What don't you understand? Among metal fans, if I say I'm into straight up metal, they're going to understand that I'm not into bands like Through the eyes of the dead, prayer for cleansing, glass casket... So, if I say I'm more into metalcore -- it is understood what KIND of metal it is. We have metalcore, and out of metalcore we have emocore, speedcore, mathcore, doomcore, deathcore, etc. emocore isn't metal -- it's emotional metalcore. Do you understand?
How many different languages do I need to tell you this simple fact in?

xriseupx
05-04-2006, 11:00 AM

This song can't be talking about metalcore and be older than I am.
Metalcore was a movement mostly in the early to mid 90's, and grew in the beginning of the new millenium.

I was born in 1987, about 8 years before metalcore really began as a movement.

D1988
05-04-2006, 11:06 AM
if your still looking for a straight edge metalcore band then Underoath are! they don't have straight edge songs but are all edge, they are pretty shit aswell though with their fringes and girls jeans

xsecx
05-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Metalcore was a movement mostly in the early to mid 90's, and grew in the beginning of the new millenium.

you seriously need to learn how to read.

xriseupx
05-04-2006, 11:15 AM

Shoot me, I quoted the wrong part.
That was an unnecessary statement also. "You seriously need to learn how to read". Now Dusty, we've argued a good bit -- and it should be obvious to you by now that I can read your responses.
If the best you can do is point at me and say "learn to read", then fuck you and fuck this. Christ, how old are you? What was it, 28... 29?

xsecx
05-04-2006, 11:15 AM
You still saw the point I was making, though.

not really since your point was about rhyming being forced, which it wasn't.

These lyrics are well written. They don't rhyme -- but they don't try to, either. They make a point, and it is very impacting.

oh ok, so you're not going to compare apples to apples?

"The worst joke they could have told is indicating
that there might have been a sense of hope.
That looks aren't everything; that beauty is only skin deep;
that the world is not so critical and superficial;
and that people can be whatever they want to be,
because based on your appearance at birth,
you may have just lost that freedom.
There was a time that I could live without a sense of pride and a sense
of hope;
a sense of face and dignity;
and attempt to survive on meals full of lies.
That time is not now."

So how are these well written when each line isn't the same length? I mean that was your original point right?

I realize you were using the lyrics to demonstrate a point. I understood the point, and then I criticized the way it was written. I find hardcore lyrics often sounding like a pissed of middle schooler's way of saying "fuck this" and "fuck that".

no, I don't think you do understand the point because you make statements like "I understand that hardcore and metal don't "gel" -- I'm not trying to gel the two. The fact is, you have metal, you have hardcore, and you have metalcore." You just contradict your own statement with the very use of the term metalcore.

Anyhow, you're still missing the point. If I just say "metal", people think of bands like... Slipknot, mudvayne -- or even the Black Dahlia Murder. Or they think of Metallica and Slayer.
There's a huge difference. Metal has a lot of subgenres. Metalcore is one.
Stick to your hardcore -- hardcore doesn't own the term "core". You can't deny that "metalcore" bands have some hardcore influence. Mostly just breakdowns, though. It's metal, otherwise.

What do you think the "core" in metalcore or grindcore or etc is actually being used for? Hell you've using it yourself and then try and say that hardcore doesn't own the term core, and I'm the one that's missing the point?

I'm not trying to actively market shit, moron. I'm not a producer, or a label, and I'm not in a band. I'm trying to draw a distinct line for people so they can understand the TYPE of metal I like. We have Death metal, black metal, math metal, thrash metal, acid metal, heavy metal, metal, speed metal... the list goes on -- most of which do not appeal to me. When these genres take in some of the components generally associated with hardcore, it needs a different label, because it changes the flow of the music entirely. Like I said -- mostly breakdowns. Metal + breakdowns = metalcore.

no you're an idiot consumer that bought the marketing. now let's play a game of spot the difference, what's different between the other sub genre's of metal you just listed and metalcore?

This is a fucking stupid argument. I know you like hardcore and are militant about it. Your opinion is not going to change the face of an entire subgenre of metal. You can say "metalcore doesn't exist", and does that take away what's in metalcore that makes it influenced by hardcore? What don't you understand? Among metal fans, if I say I'm into straight up metal, they're going to understand that I'm not into bands like Through the eyes of the dead, prayer for cleansing, glass casket... So, if I say I'm more into metalcore -- it is understood what KIND of metal it is. We have metalcore, and out of metalcore we have emocore, speedcore, mathcore, doomcore, deathcore, etc. emocore isn't metal -- it's emotional metalcore. Do you understand?
How many different languages do I need to tell you this simple fact in?

man, this whole statement is full of made up bullshit being used to market crap. and you bought it all.

xriseupx
05-04-2006, 11:17 AM
if your still looking for a straight edge metalcore band then Underoath are! they don't have straight edge songs but are all edge, they are pretty shit aswell though with their fringes and girls jeans

sXe band -- as in, having sXe songs.
Underoath are alright. Older shit is better, but they're weak in comparison to my bands of choice.

xsecx
05-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Shoot me, I quoted the wrong part.
That was an unnecessary statement also. "You seriously need to learn how to read". Now Dusty, we've argued a good bit -- and it should be obvious to you by now that I can read your responses.
If the best you can do is point at me and say "learn to read", then fuck you and fuck this. Christ, how old are you? What was it, 28... 29?

well no, now you're talking about something completely different and the you need to learn how to read statement still stands. I was actually talking about you saying
""This song can't be talking about metalcore and be older than I am.

I was born in 1987, about 8 years before metalcore really began as a movement."

which you know, is why I quoted it and said that oyu need to learn how to read.

xriseupx
05-04-2006, 11:27 AM
not really since your point was about rhyming being forced, which it wasn't.

Since you were able to correct my use of terms, you OBVIOUSLY saw what point I was trying to make.

So how are these well written when each line isn't the same length? I mean that was your original point right?

These lyrics are freeverse. They don't pretend to be something they're not. If you can't see where my criticism in hardcore lyrics lies, then you're clearly oblivious.

no, I don't think you do understand the point because you make statements like "I understand that hardcore and metal don't "gel" -- I'm not trying to gel the two. The fact is, you have metal, you have hardcore, and you have metalcore." You just contradict your own statement with the very use of the term metalcore.

Bullshit. No, I did not contradict myself. s-u-b-g-e-n-r-e-s outline specific differences in music. Metalcore has qualities that straight up metal does not. Again, and again, and again.

What do you think the "core" in metalcore or grindcore or etc is actually being used for? Hell you've using it yourself and then try and say that hardcore doesn't own the term core, and I'm the one that's missing the point?

Yes, you ARE missing the point. Again, and again, and agin.

no you're an idiot consumer that bought the marketing. now let's play a game of spot the difference, what's different between the other sub genre's of metal you just listed and metalcore?

I don't buy into bands based on what they're genres are. I've listen to quite a few metalcore bands that I never listened to again. Every time I am pleased with a metal band, it just so happens that they have... breakdowns. Metalcore.
The difference in these genres are simple. Emocore -- has less gutteral vocals, a more basic rhythmic pattern, fewer breakdowns, and more singing. The message also deals with things on an emotional level.
Speedcore... Do I even NEED to explain that?
Mathcore -- mathmetal + breakdowns. Dillinger Escape Plan -- perfect example.
Thrashcore -- bands like At the gates, As I lay Dying...
Grindcore -- Carcass, The Red Chord, Gorgasm... similar to math metal, but a more heavy, death-like approach -- deeper gutteral vocals, and more breakdowns.

There's a big difference in these, by the sound of the music. Don't try to analyze something you clearly know nothing about.

man, this whole statement is full of made up bullshit being used to market crap. and you bought it all.

Okay, bud. I listen to what I like to listen to. Then, to differentiate the music by sound and form, we have their subgenres. It has nothing to do with the market. I don't even pay attention to what the market tells me about it. I just know grindcore when I hear it, mathcore, emocore -- I know the difference by sound.

stepinsideissue
05-04-2006, 11:32 AM

That just goes to show how little you know about what you claim to know so much about. It's been a problem from the begining. People that have no knowledge of music trying to describe hardcore music as metal or infusing the two sounds to make a new genre and calling it some thing core. I've heard ignorant kids describe Limpbizkit as rapcore. Since they use hip hop hooks in the lyrics and have a heavy beat even though there is nothing remotely hardcore of any of their elements of music. Kids these days take any band with a heavy beat and add core to it thinking it's some type of hardcore when its really not. I agree that there are very diffrent types of metal music. Heavy, death, nu, black, speed, 80's hair ( which in essence I guess would be heavy metal ) . There is no arguement there. But by saying that you are distingusing the type of metal it is. By using the generic term metalcore you are trying to combine metal and hardcore which you can not do. It's like a band calling themselves christian hardcore. Dusty is right. It's just a marketing term used to help mainstream crappy metal bands ( some of which I like ) so kids think they are hardcore. It's taking an underground scene and message and trying to destroy it by making it mainstream. The whole point of sXe and the hXc scene is to be diffrent from the norm of society, going against the grain and the term metalcore is just dragging us backwards towards the norm. There is one simple fact. There is metal and there is hardcore. There is no metalcore.

xsecx
05-04-2006, 01:27 PM
Since you were able to correct my use of terms, you OBVIOUSLY saw what point I was trying to make.

I saw what you attempted to and failed at, nothing more.

These lyrics are freeverse. They don't pretend to be something they're not. If you can't see where my criticism in hardcore lyrics lies, then you're clearly oblivious.

So what are hardcore lyrics pretending to be that they're not? If you're going to critize lyrics as being badly written because of "forced rhyme" then why would you use lyrics that didn't "force rhyme" to illustrate well written ones?

Bullshit. No, I did not contradict myself. s-u-b-g-e-n-r-e-s outline specific differences in music. Metalcore has qualities that straight up metal does not. Again, and again, and again.

subgenres are also for the most part marketing ploys too. You did contradict yourself but like with other arguments you refuse to see it. The entire point of the metalcore bullshit is that it's a combination of the 2, something you said couldn't be.

Yes, you ARE missing the point. Again, and again, and agin.

yeah, one of us is missing the point and it's not me.

I don't buy into bands based on what they're genres are. I've listen to quite a few metalcore bands that I never listened to again. Every time I am pleased with a metal band, it just so happens that they have... breakdowns. Metalcore.
The difference in these genres are simple. Emocore -- has less gutteral vocals, a more basic rhythmic pattern, fewer breakdowns, and more singing. The message also deals with things on an emotional level.

this is where it gets beyond hilarious. "emocore" predates "metalcore" since emo started in hardcore in 1986. So how can it be a subgenre of a subgenre?

Speedcore... Do I even NEED to explain that?

sure, I think your explanations are funny.

Mathcore -- mathmetal + breakdowns. Dillinger Escape Plan -- perfect example.

so more subgenres of other subgenres? Where does the craziness end?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathcore

Thrashcore -- bands like At the gates, As I lay Dying...

yeah. at the gates are metal and not thrash. "thrashcore" are bands like ds13, code 13, crucial unit, youth attack. and is a subgenre of hardcore not "metalcore"

Grindcore -- Carcass, The Red Chord, Gorgasm... similar to math metal, but a more heavy, death-like approach -- deeper gutteral vocals, and more breakdowns.

or it's bands like monster x, anal cunt,. That's not even getting the whole power violence part of it, but still subgenre of hardcore and not related to metalcore.

There's a big difference in these, by the sound of the music. Don't try to analyze something you clearly know nothing about.

but you make it so fun and easy. I mean, what would I know being involved in this music and this scene for just about as long as you've been alive. clearly you'd know better than I would.

Okay, bud. I listen to what I like to listen to. Then, to differentiate the music by sound and form, we have their subgenres. It has nothing to do with the market. I don't even pay attention to what the market tells me about it. I just know grindcore when I hear it, mathcore, emocore -- I know the difference by sound.
The sound that is given a name to market it by. If you think it has nothing to do with labels like victory, trustkill and evr, then you're oblivious. it's on purpose, it's intentional and you've bought into it.

xriseupx
05-04-2006, 01:51 PM
Especially since I own nothing from those labels ;-)

The end, dude... You're a hardcore guy. I'm a metal{core} guy. Who cares if I classify it in a way that you don't like? Don't you have other things to worry about than what an 18 year old calls his music?

*shrug*

It's pointless to argue about, really.
I asked a simple question -- and it turns into an all out debate about whether or not I should call my music "metalcore". It doesn't even matter. For metal fans, they'd know what I was referring to.
You obviously don't, and that's fine.

If my explanations are funny to you, I'm sorry. They're rushed. Just like this.

Later, dude... I'm going to go listen to some "metalcore" -- even though it's classified as death metal by the labels, and the bands don't claim any genre.

And yes, you should know metal is full of classifications -- almost endless. Gengres with subgenres, and more to go with each -- and al of the definitions get blurry.
Each person has basically some different definition for what the genres are.

(btw... when I say "emocore", I refer to From Autumn to Ashes, fear before the march of flames, silverstein... etc.)

xriseupx
05-04-2006, 01:53 PM
That just goes to show how little you know about what you claim to know so much about. It's been a problem from the begining. People that have no knowledge of music trying to describe hardcore music as metal or infusing the two sounds to make a new genre and calling it some thing core. I've heard ignorant kids describe Limpbizkit as rapcore. Since they use hip hop hooks in the lyrics and have a heavy beat even though there is nothing remotely hardcore of any of their elements of music. Kids these days take any band with a heavy beat and add core to it thinking it's some type of hardcore when its really not. I agree that there are very diffrent types of metal music. Heavy, death, nu, black, speed, 80's hair ( which in essence I guess would be heavy metal ) . There is no arguement there. But by saying that you are distingusing the type of metal it is. By using the generic term metalcore you are trying to combine metal and hardcore which you can not do. It's like a band calling themselves christian hardcore. Dusty is right. It's just a marketing term used to help mainstream crappy metal bands ( some of which I like ) so kids think they are hardcore. It's taking an underground scene and message and trying to destroy it by making it mainstream. The whole point of sXe and the hXc scene is to be diffrent from the norm of society, going against the grain and the term metalcore is just dragging us backwards towards the norm. There is one simple fact. There is metal and there is hardcore. There is no metalcore.

blaaah. Who cares? I love metalcore. The end. Does that bother you? Does that impact your life in anyway?
Hopefully not, and if not, then just shut the fuck up. It's pointless.
This board is also. So, I'm leaving it.
Everyone just wants to argue about petty and meaningless things that have absolutely no effect on the course of one another's lives. Seems you're all more concerned with terms and the use of those terms, than anything else.
Consider me, "not edge" *shrug* I don't care. Say I don't listen to "metalcore", but metal. I don't care. There is still a huge difference in various types of metal, and if you don't know that, then you're ridiculous.
Bye, now.

stepinsideissue
05-04-2006, 02:11 PM
blaaah. Who cares? I love metalcore. The end. Does that bother you? Does that impact your life in anyway?
Everyone just wants to argue about petty and meaningless things that have absolutely no effect on the course of one another's lives. Seems you're all more concerned with terms and the use of those terms, than anything else.
Consider me, "not edge" *shrug* I don't care. Say I don't listen to "metalcore", but metal. I don't care. There is still a huge difference in various types of metal, and if you don't know that, then you're ridiculous.
Bye, now.

No one said you had to leave. That's your choice. See ya. No skin off my teeth. No one claimed you weren't edge either. I agreed that there are diffrent types of metal. Perhaps you should read that post again.And lastly IT does affect our ( my ) life beacuse a bunch of kids are calling music a term that doesn't fit it and it is helping destroy a scene that I've long enjoyed, listend to, participated in and supported. You guys using the commercialized term metalcore is mainstreaming a scene that many of use have supported and tried to keep underground. It is you that is ridiculous if you can't see that.

straightXed
05-04-2006, 02:17 PM
Bye, now.

you leaving will be taken with a pinch of salt, i mean you said you were done with discussions on christianity but then continued to discuss it, i think you just like to chuck your toys out of your pram. You keep reacting like this when someone says anything that opposes what you say. Its really pathetic that you are unable to hear anything that sees things in a different way to you or asks you to show why what you believe is valid.

pittstonjoma
05-04-2006, 03:02 PM
I love metalcore.

Since people don't like the term "metalcore", why not call it NWOAHM? The two terms refer to the same style of music anyhow..

xsecx
05-04-2006, 03:09 PM
Especially since I own nothing from those labels ;-)

but yet you still use their marketing terms.

The end, dude... You're a hardcore guy. I'm a metal{core} guy. Who cares if I classify it in a way that you don't like? Don't you have other things to worry about than what an 18 year old calls his music?

I mean why should anyone care when they are others are wrong and keep using misleading and incorrect labels?

It's pointless to argue about, really.
I asked a simple question -- and it turns into an all out debate about whether or not I should call my music "metalcore". It doesn't even matter. For metal fans, they'd know what I was referring to.
You obviously don't, and that's fine.

why doesn't it matter if people use terms correctly or not? I mean shit, let's all start calling things are blue, red since what you call things suddenly don't matter.

If my explanations are funny to you, I'm sorry. They're rushed. Just like this.

they're funny because they're completely wrong and ignore history completely.

Later, dude... I'm going to go listen to some "metalcore" -- even though it's classified as death metal by the labels, and the bands don't claim any genre.

And yes, you should know metal is full of classifications -- almost endless. Gengres with subgenres, and more to go with each -- and al of the definitions get blurry.
Each person has basically some different definition for what the genres are.

(btw... when I say "emocore", I refer to From Autumn to Ashes, fear before the march of flames, silverstein... etc.)

and none of the bands you listed are emo core. Do you even get that calling something emocore as a mix of metalcore as a mix of hardcore and metal is completely ridiculous? Especially when emocore was already defined by bands like dag nasty, embrace and rites of spring.

xJeffx
09-13-2011, 11:25 AM
I hate when people argue about music genres. It's all music, it doesn't really matter what it's called, just listen to whatever you like. Anyway some bands I like that could possibly be described as metalcore are: In This Moment, Caliban, Heaven Shall Burn, Arson Our Savior, Kingdom Of Giants & The Air I Breathe.