PDA

View Full Version : Can european be an sXe-er?

Juraj(George)
04-22-2006, 05:27 PM
Hello everyone. At first please excuse my English, because I am non American (non Englishman as well)and I come from middle Europe. I found this page just few weeks ago. Even so I have found sXe philosophy. The moment it happened I felt quite happy.In my region the culture contains a lot of alcohol and drug features, but I never was into it, and I had some problems with people here when there were some drinking or drug abusing occasions, becuse of my resistance. And I had a lot of possibilities to take part in such actions, but I never felt comfortable with that. Since I discovered sXe, I have done some research about it and found out that it has origins in the fact that american young people under 21 were kept in various ways from being served alcohol in public places. In my country you won´t find this because it is easy to access alcohol in shops and some pubs. (Partly also because of traditional domestic production of alcohol). My question is: Can european identify himself as an sXe-er according your oppinion, when considering that Europe has different social background of alcohol drinking?

straightXed
04-22-2006, 06:08 PM
Hello everyone. At first please excuse my English, because I am non American (non Englishman as well)and I come from middle Europe. I found this page just few weeks ago. Even so I have found sXe philosophy. The moment it happened I felt quite happy.In my region the culture contains a lot of alcohol and drug features, but I never was into it, and I had some problems with people here when there were some drinking or drug abusing occasions, becuse of my resistance. And I had a lot of possibilities to take part in such actions, but I never felt comfortable with that. Since I discovered sXe, I have done some research about it and found out that it has origins in the fact that american young people under 21 were kept in various ways from being served alcohol in public places. In my country you won´t find this because it is easy to access alcohol in shops and some pubs. (Partly also because of traditional domestic production of alcohol). My question is: Can european identify himself as an sXe-er according your oppinion, when considering that Europe has different social background of alcohol drinking?

The short answer is yes.

But i think your research on how straight edge came about is flawed. Drugs an alcohol obtained by young people in america but some choose not to indulge because of their resistance. Straightedge is actually fans of hardcore music that choose to resist the use of alcohol or drugs so straightedge is very much attached to hardcore music, the music acts as a vehicle for the message. This makes straightedge more than just resisting alcohol and drugs but if you start looking into the hardcore music scene and have no desire to intoxicate yourself there no reason not to identify yourself as straightedge, i mean i'm english and theres a few other europeans on this board who are straightedge. If your countries background isn't effecting your choice not to drink then i don't see why it would be an issue, i hope that helps. If you have any more questions feel free to ask and check out some of the other threads particularly this one: http://sxe.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1727 if you haven't heard much hardcore.