PDA

View Full Version : alcohol in cooking

KyleEvans
02-27-2006, 05:28 PM
Do you use win for cooking even though your sXe.

xsecx
02-27-2006, 05:44 PM

no.

mouseman004
02-27-2006, 05:46 PM

Realistically you could though, the high temperatures break down the alcohol

xsecx
02-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Realistically you could though, the high temperatures break down the alcohol

not really.

mouseman004
02-27-2006, 05:49 PM
not really.

it does though

xsecx
02-27-2006, 05:51 PM
it does though

no it doesn't. and even if it did completely remove the alcohol, that's not why it's wrong.

mouseman004
02-27-2006, 05:52 PM
no it doesn't. and even if it did completely remove the alcohol, that's not why it's wrong.

Im almost positive it does, but lets talk about your next comment....why would it be wrong if 100% of the alochol is gone

xsecx
02-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Im almost positive it does, but lets talk about your next comment....why would it be wrong if 100% of the alochol is gone

look it up, it doesn't all burn off, it's a common misconception.

it's wrong because of the support you'd be giving alcohol companies. You're still buying an alcoholic product. You're still supporting the production of alcohol, directly.

mouseman004
02-27-2006, 05:57 PM
look it up, it doesn't all burn off, it's a common misconception.

it's wrong because of the support you'd be giving alcohol companies. You're still buying an alcoholic product. You're still supporting the production of alcohol, directly.

I guess this is where i cannot call myself edge, just because I choose not to pollute my body with alcohol doesnt mean im against other people who choose to, so to me, that wouldnt make it wrong....so once again i learn more about edge....learning how much im not edge

KyleEvans
02-27-2006, 06:00 PM
What if I made the wine myself?

xsecx
02-27-2006, 06:02 PM
I guess this is where i cannot call myself edge, just because I choose not to pollute my body with alcohol doesnt mean im against other people who choose to, so to me, that wouldnt make it wrong....so once again i learn more about edge....learning how much im not edge

then what's the root of why you don't want to consume alcohol? And if you're going to use terms like pollute, then how can you say that it wouldn't make it wrong?

mouseman004
02-27-2006, 06:04 PM
then what's the root of why you don't want to consume alcohol? And if you're going to use terms like pollute, then how can you say that it wouldn't make it wrong?

I dont consume alcohol because I am against anything that has an affect on the mind, same reason i dont touch drugs. I would never want to be in a state of mind that isnt completely mine. If others would like to that is their busniess and opinion, i just choose not to myself

KyleEvans
02-27-2006, 06:05 PM

I think their is a big difference between wrecking your liver and brain with booze and adding some wine to cooking. Infact 1 glass of wine or alcohal perday is quite healthy.

xsecx
02-27-2006, 06:07 PM
I dont consume alcohol because I am against anything that has an affect on the mind, same reason i dont touch drugs. I would never want to be in a state of mind that isnt completely mine. If others would like to that is their busniess and opinion, i just choose not to myself

yeah, but the buying of wine would be your actions. what's being discussed is your actions and how they relate to your own beliefs. so I guess you have no problem buying people alcohol with your own money then?

xsecx
02-27-2006, 06:08 PM
I think their is a big difference between wrecking your liver and brain with booze and adding some wine to cooking. Infact 1 glass of wine or alcohal perday is quite healthy.

the 1 glass of wine or alcohol being healthy statement is an incorrect understanding of the research. that being said, it's not a matter of health that's being discussed.

mouseman004
02-27-2006, 06:31 PM
yeah, but the buying of wine would be your actions. what's being discussed is your actions and how they relate to your own beliefs. so I guess you have no problem buying people alcohol with your own money then?

I have no problem with other people buying or consuming alcohol.

mouseman004
02-27-2006, 06:37 PM

I just choose not to myself

xsecx
02-27-2006, 06:43 PM

that's not what I asked.

xsecx
02-27-2006, 06:44 PM
I just choose not to myself

why not? What led you to have the opinion you have on alcohol? Is it all based on how it makes you specifically feel? Do you believe that nothing negative comes from the consumption of alcohol other than health?

mouseman004
02-27-2006, 06:56 PM
why not? What led you to have the opinion you have on alcohol? Is it all based on how it makes you specifically feel? Do you believe that nothing negative comes from the consumption of alcohol other than health?

As i stated earlier, I am against anything that effects the mind. I have watched friends drink and act like idiots, i have watched friends get high and act like idiots, I never want to be that person. I would never want to be in a situation where my state of mind is not 100% my own.

xsecx
02-27-2006, 06:58 PM
As i stated earlier, I am against anything that effects the mind. I have watched friends drink and act like idiots, i have watched friends get high and act like idiots, I never want to be that person. I would never want to be in a situation where my state of mind is not 100% my own.

"Do you believe that nothing negative comes from the consumption of alcohol other than health?"

mouseman004
02-27-2006, 08:02 PM
"Do you believe that nothing negative comes from the consumption of alcohol other than health?"

I saw exactly what you typed, so typing it again doesnt make it clearer. Being drunk is not considered a health defect so i was under the impression thats what you wanted, clearly i was mistaken so how about instead of being so ambiguous you tell me what you meant

xsecx
02-27-2006, 08:13 PM
I saw exactly what you typed, so typing it again doesnt make it clearer. Being drunk is not considered a health defect so i was under the impression thats what you wanted, clearly i was mistaken so how about instead of being so ambiguous you tell me what you meant

I'm talking about all of the external effects of alcohol use. All of the effects other than how it effects your health. My statement was not ambiguous to begin with. you also never answered the original question I asked.

mouseman004
02-27-2006, 08:18 PM
I'm talking about all of the external effects of alcohol use. All of the effects other than how it effects your health. My statement was not ambiguous to begin with. you also never answered the original question I asked.

the original question you asked served no purpose, you asked if i supported the buying of alcohol for others with my own money? i dont buy alcohol for others with my own money, and if for some reason i did buy a bottle of wine for cooking, thats still not buying alcohol for others, its buying alcohol for me. you are going to give me some long answer about how by buying alcohol for myself im giving money to the corporations to provide more alcohol for others. fine. i am not against others consuming, buying, drinking, smoking or whatever the hell they do with alcohol. i just choose not to drink it myself because I am against anything that alters my state of my mind. if that is an uninformed opinion GREAT, i dont need your approval of my reasons to not drink. Lets just agree that I am not edge, and I apologize for wasting your time on a straight edge message board if im not edge

xsecx
02-27-2006, 08:23 PM
the original question you asked served no purpose, you asked if i supported the buying of alcohol for others with my own money? i dont buy alcohol for others with my own money, and if for some reason i did buy a bottle of wine for cooking, thats still not buying alcohol for others, its buying alcohol for me. you are going to give me some long answer about how by buying alcohol for myself im giving money to the corporations to provide more alcohol for others. fine. i am not against others consuming, buying, drinking, smoking or whatever the hell they do with alcohol. i just choose not to drink it myself because I am against anything that alters my state of my mind. if that is an uninformed opinion GREAT, i dont need your approval of my reasons to not drink. Lets just agree that I am not edge, and I apologize for wasting your time on a straight edge message board if im not edge

no it served a purpose, you just don't see it. So you don't buy alcohol for others, why not? you honestly have no understanding why you do what you do. what the ramifications of those actions are, or how those actions fit in the larger scheme of things. You've spend absolutely no time thinking about it and it's apparent.

mouseman004
02-27-2006, 08:27 PM
no it served a purpose, you just don't see it. So you don't buy alcohol for others, why not? you honestly have no understanding why you do what you do. what the ramifications of those actions are, or how those actions fit in the larger scheme of things. You've spend absolutely no time thinking about it and it's apparent.

no time thinking about what? because i dont have some deeper meaning behind my reasons for not drinking i dont have an understanding of why i dont do it. drinking is a personal choice, i by not drinking am in no way better than anybody who drinks. its a personal choice i have made, i in no way think everybody else should be forced to make that same decision.
I AM NOT AGAINST OTHERS DRINKING, I JUST DONT DO IT MYSELF, FOR MY OWN REASONS.

mouseman004
02-27-2006, 08:30 PM
no time thinking about what? because i dont have some deeper meaning behind my reasons for not drinking i dont have an understanding of why i dont do it. drinking is a personal choice, i by not drinking am in no way better than anybody who drinks. its a personal choice i have made, i in no way think everybody else should be forced to make that same decision.

if that means im not edge, then im not edge. I'm just clean. I dont need the labels, ive had my beleifs since before i knew what edge was, i just thought it was cool how my beleifs coincided with the beleifs of those are sxe. i thought it would be cool if i could have a group of people with similar opinions who i could relate too. apparently i was completely mistaken

xsecx
02-27-2006, 08:33 PM

what kind of choice isn't a personal choice? you use words like pollution and then you try and say that you don't think you're any better than anybody who drinks? I don't think you even understand your own reasons.

mouseman004
02-27-2006, 08:36 PM
what kind of choice isn't a personal choice? you use words like pollution and then you try and say that you don't think you're any better than anybody who drinks? I don't think you even understand your own reasons.
well if you think it then it must be true. I have to go get drunk now because i dont understand my own reasons for not drinking. You have met me in a message board that ive been a part of for 2 weeks and you think you know me. I can think alcohol is a poison, and still not think im better than others who disagree. I think emo kids look like idiots in girls pants, but i dont think im better than them, i just disagree

xsecx
02-27-2006, 08:47 PM
well if you think it then it must be true. I have to go get drunk now because i dont understand my own reasons for not drinking. You have met me in a message board that ive been a part of for 2 weeks and you think you know me. I can think alcohol is a poison, and still not think im better than others who disagree. I think emo kids look like idiots in girls pants, but i dont think im better than them, i just disagree

you honestly don't get it. you can't think alcohol is poison and then also think people are poisoning themselves is a good thing. You also can't think people look like idiots and then say you don't think you're better than them.

mouseman004
02-27-2006, 10:49 PM
you honestly don't get it. you can't think alcohol is poison and then also think people are poisoning themselves is a good thing. You also can't think people look like idiots and then say you don't think you're better than them.

So if i disagree with someone I think im better than them?

mouseman004
02-28-2006, 12:46 AM
Look, I didnt join this forum for the sake of arguing but it seems to be the only thing I do. I'm sorry that you dont think my beleifs are solid and thats fine, but do not attack them and say i dont understand my own beleifs just because they arent as "deep" or "informed" as yours. You dont know me. That said, I guess im not edge, im not saying that because im being bitter because you disagree with me, i am saying that because it is becoming more and more clear and thats completely fine, i didnt have my beleifs because i thought i was edge, i thought I was edge because of my beleifs. it was just a misunderstanding on my part beleiving that I was edge, thats all. I apologize for the inconvieniance ive caused

MidnightHours
02-28-2006, 04:14 AM

I think what he's getting at is, for example, that by you thinking boys who wear girls pants as a personal choice makes them look like idiots, could come off as sounding like you feel that you're better then them for not doing it yourself and you think less of them for doing it. I had to go into an argument like this with my friend, he wears them and asked me to explain to him why I felt it was so wrong for guys to wear them. I don't find that it's wrong for guys to wear them, just that I said it would look stupid on me, but I said it differently, so he read it as me saying all guys that wear girls pants look stupid and since I don't wear them it makes me better then them. So now I just watch how i say things because people read things differently. So ya my post was pointless lol.

Also with the whole wine in cooking, It's all down to personal choice if the person wants it in their food or not. I'm training to be a chef myself and already work in a kitchen, lots of food that you wouldn't even think has alcoholic drinks in it for flavour. Alot of times you don't even notice it. It's why I usually make all my food myself or ask what goes into it. If at times I eat something that has alcohol in it and I find out after words, it's not like I'm going to cry about it.

xsecx
02-28-2006, 08:44 AM

you're not disagreeing with someone. you're saying they're poisoning themselves in one case and an idiot in another.

xsecx
02-28-2006, 08:47 AM
I think what he's getting at is, for example, that by you thinking boys who wear girls pants as a personal choice makes them look like idiots, could come off as sounding like you feel that you're better then them for not doing it yourself and you think less of them for doing it. I had to go into an argument like this with my friend, he wears them and asked me to explain to him why I felt it was so wrong for guys to wear them. I don't find that it's wrong for guys to wear them, just that I said it would look stupid on me, but I said it differently, so he read it as me saying all guys that wear girls pants look stupid and since I don't wear them it makes me better then them. So now I just watch how i say things because people read things differently. So ya my post was pointless lol.

it's not a matter of reading things differently. It all comes down to words and actions mattering. You could say you don't think you're better than another person, but if your words and actions contradict that, then you clearly think you are.

Also with the whole wine in cooking, It's all down to personal choice if the person wants it in their food or not. I'm training to be a chef myself and already work in a kitchen, lots of food that you wouldn't even think has alcoholic drinks in it for flavour. Alot of times you don't even notice it. It's why I usually make all my food myself or ask what goes into it. If at times I eat something that has alcohol in it and I find out after words, it's not like I'm going to cry about it.

what kind of choice is there other than personal? And why does it come down to if they want it in their food or not?

livithezombie
03-16-2006, 12:26 PM
do you always ask what goes into your food when you eat in restaurants?
what about if you live in a haousehold where somebody else cooks for you?

xsecx
03-16-2006, 12:39 PM
do you always ask what goes into your food when you eat in restaurants?
what about if you live in a haousehold where somebody else cooks for you?

alcohol isn't added to food very often and it's not mentioned explictly on the menu, mostly because they use it as a selling point.

and I'd hope if someone else is cooking for you, that you'd know what was going into what you're eating.

kelly
03-16-2006, 01:09 PM
alcohol isn't added to food very often and it's not mentioned explictly on the menu, mostly because they use it as a selling point.

It depends on what kind of food you're having, with french food, for insance, you'd have to have a knowledge of their sauces, because a lot of them have vermouth or cooking wine in them, and are just listed as the name of the sauce on the menu.

xsecx
03-16-2006, 01:20 PM
It depends on what kind of food you're having, with french food, for insance, you'd have to have a knowledge of their sauces, because a lot of them have vermouth or cooking wine in them, and are just listed as the name of the sauce on the menu.

yeah, for the most part it's true. but if you don't know what a sauce is, you're going to have to ask what it is anyway. It's not a case of somewhere serving meatloaf and not mentioning that it's a nice red wine sauce, since most of the time it's an added expense and restuarants like to justify costs to the consumer.

kelly
03-16-2006, 01:26 PM
yeah, for the most part it's true. but if you don't know what a sauce is, you're going to have to ask what it is anyway. It's not a case of somewhere serving meatloaf and not mentioning that it's a nice red wine sauce, since most of the time it's an added expense and restuarants like to justify costs to the consumer.
Yeah, I don't know about that.. I've never seen a restaurant mention whether or not they use wine in their marinara sauce, which could go either way. The only sauces where they mention wine usually are sauces where the use of wine really impacts the flavor (red wine compote vs. vinegar compote, for instance)

Lost Prophet
03-16-2006, 01:29 PM
ok, so in just gonna put my 2 cents in and then im out of here, but yeah, baking/cooking something w/ alcohol in it does burn it off. and what isnt burnt off, which is like almost nothing anyway, is broken down to no longer be harmful to your bodies. trust me, im edge and make beer bread all the time (its so good!!!) so i took the time to look into it to see if that was still ok.

but on another note, xsecx said something about its against edge because your supporting the alcohol industry or somethin like that. im against poisoning my own body, but others can do whatever they damn well please, so am i not edge because i buy beer for my cooking? im not poisoning my body, im not addicting myself to any kind of substance or anything, but simply because i buy beer i loose my edge??? thats bs man, total bs. thats like if a vegetarian baught lettuce at a fish market, would he no longer be vegetarian? just because he baught it at a place where you could buy "meat" and is supporting the slaugtering of animals by doing so, does he loose his vegetarian title? no, he doesnt.

theres nothing in edge about cooking w/ alcohol
just make sure it bakes off completely

kelly
03-16-2006, 01:31 PM
if only you hadn't spelled "bought" wrong like 4 times...

xsecx
03-16-2006, 01:34 PM
Yeah, I don't know about that.. I've never seen a restaurant mention whether or not they use wine in their marinara sauce, which could go either way. The only sauces where they mention wine usually are sauces where the use of wine really impacts the flavor (red wine compote vs. vinegar compote, for instance)

I've never known of an italian restuarant that uses wine in their marinara sauce since it'd be a waste of money to do it. Especially high profile shi shi ones that bottle them and sells them for $10 a jar.

livithezombie
03-16-2006, 01:35 PM
ok, so in just gonna put my 2 cents in and then im out of here, but yeah, baking/cooking something w/ alcohol in it does burn it off. and what isnt burnt off, which is like almost nothing anyway, is broken down to no longer be harmful to your bodies. trust me, im edge and make beer bread all the time (its so good!!!) so i took the time to look into it to see if that was still ok.

but on another note, xsecx said something about its against edge because your supporting the alcohol industry or somethin like that. im against poisoning my own body, but others can do whatever they damn well please, so am i not edge because i buy beer for my cooking? im not poisoning my body, im not addicting myself to any kind of substance or anything, but simply because i buy beer i loose my edge??? thats bs man, total bs. thats like if a vegetarian baught lettuce at a fish market, would he no longer be vegetarian? just because he baught it at a place where you could buy "meat" and is supporting the slaugtering of animals by doing so, does he loose his vegetarian title? no, he doesnt.

yeah i think i agree with you there, not eating foods with just traces of alcohol seems too... strict isnt the right word, but you know what im getting at.

xsecx
03-16-2006, 01:38 PM

it doesn't burn off. some of it does, but not all of it.

now it comes back to why are you edge? Why are you against alcohol? Is it only because of how alcohol effects your body and that's it?

Lost Prophet
03-17-2006, 12:47 PM
if only you hadn't spelled "bought" wrong like 4 times...

yeah... sorry 'bout that....
:D

now it comes back to why are you edge? Why are you against alcohol? Is it only because of how alcohol effects your body and that's it?

no thats not it, but that is one point
im against alcohol becuase ive seen so many people waste their lives away with it, doing nothing but drink
being an alcoholic drains away your money, the respect others have for you, and overall just makes you look like a dumb ass
thats why im against alcohol

xsecx
03-17-2006, 12:59 PM
y
no thats not it, but that is one point
im against alcohol becuase ive seen so many people waste their lives away with it, doing nothing but drink
being an alcoholic drains away your money, the respect others have for you, and overall just makes you look like a dumb ass
thats why im against alcohol

so then why would you fund the industry directly responsible for it?

Lost Prophet
03-17-2006, 01:06 PM

because its not the industries fault
the fault should fall on those who deserve it, those who go out and get slammed to solve their problems or w/e

and the way i think of it, im not promoting the company or advertising drinking or anything, but the people who work for that alcohol company need to make a living too

xsecx
03-17-2006, 01:15 PM
because its not the industries fault
the fault should fall on those who deserve it, those who go out and get slammed to solve their problems or w/e

and the way i think of it, im not promoting the company or advertising drinking or anything, but the people who work for that alcohol company need to make a living too

it's not the industries fault that they provide and actively promote a self destructive lifestyle that directly leads to the problems you just listed? It's like saying big tobacco isn't at fault for all the death's that they've caused. or are the 2 industries somehow totally different? Blaiming the victim is only part of it, it's also the supplier that shoulders part of the blame. And yes people who work for alcohol companies need to make a living, but so do drug dealers, drug growers, big tobacco, etc. would you buy anything from them to use in your cooking?

Lost Prophet
03-17-2006, 01:21 PM
it's not the industries fault that they provide and actively promote a self destructive lifestyle that directly leads to the problems you just listed? It's like saying big tobacco isn't at fault for all the death's that they've caused. or are the 2 industries somehow totally different? Blaiming the victim is only part of it, it's also the supplier that shoulders part of the blame. And yes people who work for alcohol companies need to make a living, but so do drug dealers, drug growers, big tobacco, etc. would you buy anything from them to use in your cooking?

ok, so you have a point there
but putting all the blame on the companies, saying that theyre responsible for all the deaths related for their produces, is just wrong.
putting the blame on the company takes the blame off ourselves, and people do that all the time so they dont have to fess up to their own damn problems
your mentality on this is exactly why people continue to drink, smoke, shoot up, snort, and all that other crap that is destroying their lives

xsecx
03-17-2006, 01:29 PM
ok, so you have a point there
but putting all the blame on the companies, saying that theyre responsible for all the deaths related for their produces, is just wrong.
putting the blame on the company takes the blame off ourselves, and people do that all the time so they dont have to fess up to their own damn problems
your mentality on this is exactly why people continue to drink, smoke, shoot up, snort, and all that other crap that is destroying their lives

blame isn't only on one thing, and I never said it was. your mentality is placing ALL of the blame on the user and none on the supplier isn't fair or realistic. The people who make guns are responsible for all the deaths they cause. Now, are they completely responsible? no of course not, but if they didn't supply the product, it couldn't be consumed. For you to reduce demand you have to address where that demand is coming from. It's coming partly from advertisements that unfairly target groups are misleading so that profits can grow from human suffering. Simply saying "hey addict, it's your fault you're hooked" doesn't solve anything unless you look at the reasons WHY people started in the first place and if you think the suppliers of those substances don't have a hand in that you're naive.

livithezombie
03-17-2006, 03:17 PM
but dont you buy root beer from those industries?

xsecx
03-17-2006, 03:21 PM
but dont you buy root beer from those industries?

sure. but if everyone bought root beer from them instead of alcohol then they wouldn't have a need to make alcohol and I'm not contributing to their alcohol bottom line, I'm not supporting that business. That line of thinking gets pretty impossible when you look at multinational corporations and just who owns what.

livithezombie
03-17-2006, 03:55 PM
sure. but if everyone bought root beer from them instead of alcohol then they wouldn't have a need to make alcohol and I'm not contributing to their alcohol bottom line, I'm not supporting that business. That line of thinking gets pretty impossible when you look at multinational corporations and just who owns what.
i'm not convinced....

xsecx
03-17-2006, 04:04 PM
i'm not convinced....
about what? That there's a difference between contributing to a companies profits from buying alcohol vs a product that isn't?

straightXed
03-17-2006, 04:20 PM
about what? That there's a difference between contributing to a companies profits from buying alcohol vs a product that isn't?

yeah thats definitely true, its like a record company aren't going to support artists that don't sell records from the sales from other artists records. And from that you wouldn't be supporting the artist you don't like you just support the market for the artist you like. I guess it would be different if the product had to be sold as a necessity in which case other profits might feed into that but seeing as there is no necessity in producing root beer and its a pure commodity i can't see the problem. Sure the company would like it to help market their alcoholic drinks but if you choose not to buy into that then thats that isn't it?

livithezombie
03-18-2006, 08:17 AM
yeah thats definitely true, its like a record company aren't going to support artists that don't sell records from the sales from other artists records. And from that you wouldn't be supporting the artist you don't like you just support the market for the artist you like. I guess it would be different if the product had to be sold as a necessity in which case other profits might feed into that but seeing as there is no necessity in producing root beer and its a pure commodity i can't see the problem. Sure the company would like it to help market their alcoholic drinks but if you choose not to buy into that then thats that isn't it?
thats a good point

livithezombie
03-18-2006, 08:17 AM
thats a good point
i mean about comparing it to the music industry by the way

XBILLYX
03-18-2006, 06:37 PM
whats win? isnt that the same as drinking a glass which is just out of the question?

straightXed
03-19-2006, 04:01 AM
whats win? isnt that the same as drinking a glass which is just out of the question?

You obviously know win refers to wine if you carry on to answer the question so why ask?

XBILLYX
03-20-2006, 12:13 PM
You obviously know win refers to wine if you carry on to answer the question so why ask?
yea only because i read ahead. but other words it was just to be a smart ass,

Lost Prophet
03-20-2006, 12:49 PM
blame isn't only on one thing, and I never said it was. your mentality is placing ALL of the blame on the user and none on the supplier isn't fair or realistic. The people who make guns are responsible for all the deaths they cause. Now, are they completely responsible? no of course not, but if they didn't supply the product, it couldn't be consumed. For you to reduce demand you have to address where that demand is coming from. It's coming partly from advertisements that unfairly target groups are misleading so that profits can grow from human suffering. Simply saying "hey addict, it's your fault you're hooked" doesn't solve anything unless you look at the reasons WHY people started in the first place and if you think the suppliers of those substances don't have a hand in that you're naive.

no, your wrong there
if you take away the source, then people will find a new one, or make one themselves
the prohibition period proved that better than anything, and no do we not only have drinking, but we have organized crime

straightXed
03-20-2006, 01:00 PM
yea only because i read ahead. but other words it was just to be a smart ass,

Didn't make you look smart though.

xsecx
03-20-2006, 01:15 PM
no, your wrong there
if you take away the source, then people will find a new one, or make one themselves
the prohibition period proved that better than anything, and no do we not only have drinking, but we have organized crime

I'm not advocating that though? And what am I wrong about? That you shouldn't buy alcohol if you think the effects of alcohol on society are wrong?

XBILLYX
03-20-2006, 02:58 PM
I'm not advocating that though? And what am I wrong about? That you shouldn't buy alcohol if you think the effects of alcohol on society are wrong?
ha thats like my girlfriend she asked me if i could be a bartender and sXe. thats so wrong. your helping people get and use what your against.

Lost Prophet
03-20-2006, 08:29 PM

no, this is what i was saying your wrong about

no of course not, but if they didn't supply the product, it couldn't be consumed. For you to reduce demand you have to address where that demand is coming from. It's coming partly from advertisements that unfairly target groups are misleading so that profits can grow from human suffering. Simply saying "hey addict, it's your fault you're hooked" doesn't solve anything unless you look at the reasons WHY people started in the first place and if you think the suppliers of those substances don't have a hand in that you're naive.

xsecx
03-20-2006, 08:33 PM
no, this is what i was saying your wrong about

so how am I wrong about it? Isn't everyones goal here to reduce the demand for alcohol consumption?

Lost Prophet
03-21-2006, 12:57 PM
so how am I wrong about it? Isn't everyones goal here to reduce the demand for alcohol consumption?

its not my goal...
my goal is to save the lives the alcohol is ruining, not stop the alcohol from being there

i dont want to see anyone waste their lives away drinking, but im not going to force them to stop
i try to tell people about the dangers of drinking or whatever else, and i try to open peoples eyes and make them realise thier wasteing their lives away

i think some people have forgotten what edge really is...
its not about not drinking, not doing drugs, not smoking...
its about keeping your life clean, or just keeping your life for that matter, by not drinking, not doing drugs, and not smoking or w/e else
i think some people have lost sight of that

xsecx
03-21-2006, 01:02 PM
its not my goal...
my goal is to save the lives the alcohol is ruining, not stop the alcohol from being there

i dont want to see anyone waste their lives away drinking, but im not going to force them to stop
i try to tell people about the dangers of drinking or whatever else, and i try to open peoples eyes and make them realise thier wasteing their lives away

i think some people have forgotten what edge really is...
its not about not drinking, not doing drugs, not smoking...
its about keeping your life clean, or just keeping your life for that matter, by not drinking, not doing drugs, and not smoking or w/e else
i think some people have lost sight of that

I think you need to understand the difference between supply and demand. This is the second post where you've addressed supply, which no one here is talking about. I've repeatedly said to decrease the demand for alcohol, which you just said you wanted to?

" try to tell people about the dangers of drinking or whatever else, and i try to open peoples eyes and make them realise thier wasteing their lives away" means that actually is your goal to decrease demand.

That being said, do you honestly believe that there isn't a link between the advertising a company does and the demand for their product? That by buying alcohol you're actually doing the exact OPPOSITE of what you just said above?

Lost Prophet
03-21-2006, 01:14 PM
I think you need to understand the difference between supply and demand. This is the second post where you've addressed supply, which no one here is talking about. I've repeatedly said to decrease the demand for alcohol, which you just said you wanted to?

" try to tell people about the dangers of drinking or whatever else, and i try to open peoples eyes and make them realise thier wasteing their lives away" means that actually is your goal to decrease demand.

That being said, do you honestly believe that there isn't a link between the advertising a company does and the demand for their product? That by buying alcohol you're actually doing the exact OPPOSITE of what you just said above?

the advertising isnt what causes the demand, though you are right in that it increases it, but no, i dont think the advertising is whats causing the demand for their product. and by buying alcohol for cooking im not going around saying "drinking is fun, drinking is cool, go ahead, get wasted!" Im still telling people that it stinks, tastes like ass, makes you vomit everywhere and wastes away your liver.

xsecx
03-21-2006, 01:23 PM
the advertising isnt what causes the demand, though you are right in that it increases it, but no, i dont think the advertising is whats causing the demand for their product. and by buying alcohol for cooking im not going around saying "drinking is fun, drinking is cool, go ahead, get wasted!" Im still telling people that it stinks, tastes like ass, makes you vomit everywhere and wastes away your liver.

you're talkign about things as all or nothing though. Advertising increases demand, I never said it was the sole cause. You buying alcohol is supporting that company through their alcohol sales and having them spend more money on advertising. You're also acting like your don't have alternatives that aren't alcoholic. But by buying alcohol you are saying, alcohol tastes good in cooking, I'm going to support an industry that wastes away peoples liver. It's a totally hypocritical stance.

Lost Prophet
03-21-2006, 01:28 PM
you're talkign about things as all or nothing though. Advertising increases demand, I never said it was the sole cause. You buying alcohol is supporting that company through their alcohol sales and having them spend more money on advertising. You're also acting like your don't have alternatives that aren't alcoholic. But by buying alcohol you are saying, alcohol tastes good in cooking, I'm going to support an industry that wastes away peoples liver. It's a totally hypocritical stance.
IM taking a hypocritical stance?
you said almost the same thing earlier, if i recall, and it was a good point, but when i say it its a hypocritical stance?
i think your the hypocrite here

xsecx
03-21-2006, 01:32 PM
IM taking a hypocritical stance?
you said almost the same thing earlier, if i recall, and it was a good point, but when i say it its a hypocritical stance?
i think your the hypocrite here

said almost the same thing about what? How am I a hypocrite when I won't buy alcohol, even to cook with?