PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

Pelirroja
02-22-2006, 02:04 PM
Hi, new here, glad to be part of the forum.

So anyway, my question is based on the following;

Upon entering this website, there is an introduction to what Straight Edge is. The author - presumably the creator of this website - states that Straight Edge is inextricably linked to hardcore, aswell as fellowship and abstinence from drugs. He/she states that it is impossible to class yourself as Straight Edge unless you attend to the concerts, buy the merchandise, etc.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but from what I gather, Straight Edge is far more about your way of life and your state of mind than what you listen to or buy. I find it hard to believe that the very people we look up to (like Ian MacKaye) who advocate such open minded beliefs would be in favour of segregation because of the music you listen to, shunning other people because they have different tastes in music. Don't get me wrong, I love hardcore just as much as the next person, but that doesn't mean that I think that anyone who doesn't go to hardcore concerts doesn't get what being Straight Edge is about.

I know it's a bit of cheek making this my first ever post , but hey if it's wrong to disagree then ban me. I'm just curious to know if this is everyone's opinion, or if to others Straight Edge is more about the message, and less about the specific details like what albums you buy and the concerts you've been to.

Is there only one, specific way of being Straight Edge, or do you think that as long as you're loyal to the message, you're loyal to the lifestyle?

Pelirroja

xsecx
02-22-2006, 02:36 PM
Upon entering this website, there is an introduction to what Straight Edge is. The author - presumably the creator of this website - states that Straight Edge is inextricably linked to hardcore, aswell as fellowship and abstinence from drugs. He/she states that it is impossible to class yourself as Straight Edge unless you attend to the concerts, buy the merchandise, etc.

your paraphrasing leaves a lot to be desired.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but from what I gather, Straight Edge is far more about your way of life and your state of mind than what you listen to or buy. I find it hard to believe that the very people we look up to (like Ian MacKaye) who advocate such open minded beliefs would be in favour of segregation because of the music you listen to, shunning other people because they have different tastes in music. Don't get me wrong, I love hardcore just as much as the next person, but that doesn't mean that I think that anyone who doesn't go to hardcore concerts doesn't get what being Straight Edge is about.

the beliefs aren't what make you straight edge. Also don't know how you'd view a group who's name is based on having an advantage over people who do drugs as open minded?
You're trying to make straight edge into nothing more than ideals and beliefs and not a lifestyle. Which is the exact reason why I wrote what I wrote on the front page.

I know it's a bit of cheek making this my first ever post , but hey if it's wrong to disagree then ban me. I'm just curious to know if this is everyone's opinion, or if to others Straight Edge is more about the message, and less about the specific details like what albums you buy and the concerts you've been to.

Is there only one, specific way of being Straight Edge, or do you think that as long as you're loyal to the message, you're loyal to the lifestyle?

How can you be loyal to a lifestyle that you're not a part of?

stepinsideissue
02-23-2006, 12:15 AM
Hi, new here, glad to be part of the forum.

So anyway, my question is based on the following;

Pelirroja

The hardcore music scene is just as much a part of sXe as the drugfree lifestyle. There is nothing wrong with liking other types of music and I don't believe that any one is shunned for it. But the fact of the matter is to be sXe you have to be into hXc and the scene. You go to the shows. With out hXc music there is no voice or way to deliever the message. We're ALL here because we love hXc and we need to support ourselves through each other, through our zines ( merc. ) and through our music.

Pelirroja
02-24-2006, 08:52 AM
your paraphrasing leaves a lot to be desired.

So does your grammar, but I won't be petty...I guess I'll just have to respond to the Gods of literacy; woe betide me.

Also don't know how you'd view a group who's name is based on having an advantage over people who do drugs as open minded?

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about the fact that people with an advantage over others are notorious for being narrow minded, tsk, my fault, clearly my knowledge on this matter is just not up to scratch. I was under the obviously erroneous impression that a person can be open minded, regardless of whether they consider themselves to be at an advantage or not.

You're trying to make straight edge into nothing more than ideals and beliefs and not a lifestyle

Actually, I'm not "trying" anything. I'm just putting a different idea out there, and maybe an interesting discussion could arise from it. You're making it sound like I'm chasing down all those who don't agree with me, like some sort of mad Jehovah's Witness, trying to convert them to the 'dark side'.

How can you be loyal to a lifestyle that you're not a part of?

The point I'm trying to make is what people define as the lifestyle. You consider it to be very much a part of the hardcore scene, whereas others might find that living a drug-free life already 'qualifies' as being Straight Edge. I'm interested in knowing how everyone views Straight Edge and what it exactly invovles for them.

With out hXc music there is no voice or way to deliever the message

I like the idea that the ideals are spread through the music, but surely there are other ways that the message can be spread too? There are so many beliefs out there that aren't as closely linked to music as Straight Edge is, so why is the music so crucial?

Pelirroja

xsecx
02-24-2006, 09:04 AM
So does your grammar, but I won't be petty...I guess I'll just have to respond to the Gods of literacy; woe betide me.

when you can't make a decent arguements resort to grammar and or spelling attacks, especially in an informal setting. you're starting off on the right foot!

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about the fact that people with an advantage over others are notorious for being narrow minded, tsk, my fault, clearly my knowledge on this matter is just not up to scratch. I was under the obviously erroneous impression that a person can be open minded, regardless of whether they consider themselves to be at an advantage or not.

then what do you consider open minded?

Actually, I'm not "trying" anything. I'm just putting a different idea out there, and maybe an interesting discussion could arise from it. You're making it sound like I'm chasing down all those who don't agree with me, like some sort of mad Jehovah's Witness, trying to convert them to the 'dark side'.

So you're not "trying" to have a discussion? Or "trying" to state that you can be straight edge without actually being straight edge, just believing in something?

The point I'm trying to make is what people define as the lifestyle. You consider it to be very much a part of the hardcore scene, whereas others might find that living a drug-free life already 'qualifies' as being Straight Edge. I'm interested in knowing how everyone views Straight Edge and what it exactly invovles for them.

then if that's how you want to try and define it, then explain it. demonstrate how that makes someone straight edge, what straight edge is, etc. How can you know what a lifestyle is like or about when you're disconnected and haven't taken part in the very real and alive facets of it?

I like the idea that the ideals are spread through the music, but surely there are other ways that the message can be spread too? There are so many beliefs out there that aren't as closely linked to music as Straight Edge is, so why is the music so crucial?

because it's the relationship to the music that makes straight edge unique and viable. The medium in this instance is just as important as the message. There are plenty of people who are simply drug free, there are plenty of places to get a drug free message. The beliefs are not unique to straight edge. What is unique is the music and it's relation to the message.

xMoranXArmyx
03-20-2006, 11:29 PM
well, honestly, the only tidbit i have to offer to this would be that i don't listen to hardcore solely. i grew up with punk rock. my fave band is Dropkick Murphys. so i don't necessarily agree that in order to be sXe, you must only like hardcore. sXe, in my opinion, is a way of life. it can be inspired by music, BUT it's how you choose to live your life that makes you sXe, not necessarily the X's you draw on your hands at shows.

xbustedx
03-20-2006, 11:47 PM
well, honestly, the only tidbit i have to offer to this would be that i don't listen to hardcore solely. i grew up with punk rock. my fave band is Dropkick Murphys. so i don't necessarily agree that in order to be sXe, you must only like hardcore. sXe, in my opinion, is a way of life. it can be inspired by music, BUT it's how you choose to live your life that makes you sXe, not necessarily the X's you draw on your hands at shows.

But nobody said that you have to listen to hardcore soley I enjoy other kinds of music just as much as the next person. But you do have to listen to hardcore and be a fan and go to shows and support other sxe people/musicians by buying merch ect.

xMoranXArmyx
03-21-2006, 12:04 AM
But nobody said that you have to listen to hardcore soley I enjoy other kinds of music just as much as the next person. But you do have to listen to hardcore and be a fan and go to shows and support other sxe people/musicians by buying merch ect.

i dunno, i just go to the show's to suppor them and maybe have two pieces of merch from certain bands...i dont belive in having to have an entire wardrobe of shirts from different bands just because i wanna look sXe....buying albums and seeing them live is enough support from me.

xbustedx
03-21-2006, 12:11 AM
i dunno, i just go to the show's to suppor them and maybe have two pieces of merch from certain bands...i dont belive in having to have an entire wardrobe of shirts from different bands just because i wanna look sXe....buying albums and seeing them live is enough support from me.

well of course thats what I mean by "ect." but I totaly agree I don't have a huge wardrobe of sxe clothes. But it is still important that you listen to hardcore and support the scene. In what ever way you can/or want to. Wether that is buying merch or going to shows.

atXdawnXweXburn
03-21-2006, 12:20 AM
straight edge itself is definately about the music as well. drug free and sXe are different. you can be drug free and listen to mariah carey for all i care, but it doesnt make you sXe.

personally, i love hardcore. i love it like a motherfucker, but i also enjoy metal (incl. black, death, etc), punk, grind and even classical music.

all that matters is you support hardcore in any way possible and you're drug free.

xbustedx
03-21-2006, 12:30 AM
straight edge itself is definately about the music as well. drug free and sXe are different. you can be drug free and listen to mariah carey for all i care, but it doesnt make you sXe.

personally, i love hardcore. i love it like a motherfucker, but i also enjoy metal (incl. black, death, etc), punk, grind and even classical music.

all that matters is you support hardcore in any way possible and you're drug free.

I love classical music.

xMoranXArmyx
03-21-2006, 12:33 AM

i totally support hardcore....i love it. pretty much hardcore and punk are all that i listen to. i hate to sound ignorant, but i hate emo/screamo. such a stupid message behind both of those.