PDA

View Full Version : sxe articles: do you know of any?

xmaryx
11-16-2005, 09:39 AM
hi there
my name is mary, and i'm writing my final year sociology paper on the rise of sxe its called:

POISON FREE YOUTH
From local anomaly to global phenomenon
Examining the rise the of the straight edge lifestyle
(1980-2005)

I've found about 40 newspaper articles on the subject but am looking for more. Do any of you know of any newspaper/fanzine/magazine/journal articles on any aspect of sxe (e.g. hardline, its formation, its major bands, schism etc). If so i would be much obliged if you could point me in the right direction... even if you cant remember the name of a piece, just the newspaper etc title would be of use.

Thanks
xmaryx

straightXed
11-16-2005, 09:48 AM
hi there
my name is mary, and i'm writing my final year sociology paper on the rise of sxe its called:

POISON FREE YOUTH
(1980-2005)

I've found about 40 newspaper articles on the subject but am looking for more. Do any of you know of any newspaper/fanzine/magazine/journal articles on any aspect of sxe (e.g. hardline, its formation, its major bands, schism etc). If so i would be much obliged if you could point me in the right direction... even if you cant remember the name of a piece, just the newspaper etc title would be of use.

Thanks
xmaryx

hardline wasn't a straightedge movement, it was seperate, there is a sticky thread on hardline in the questions section.

also hardline info can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard-line

Not sure if you actually wanted schism the fanzine but you can get that here http://b9store.com/category/details.php?code=B9P01

xvunderx
11-16-2005, 11:16 AM
Dance of Days by Mark Andersenand Mark Jenkins is pretty useful, I even saw it in Boarders the other day. That felt wierd.

Some books on subculture but not on sxe that are great are Subculture a meaning of Style by Dick Hebdige http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0415039495/103-7024867-7011840

And the Subcutures Reader by Gelder and Thornton (i see Amazon are selling them together at the moment?)

xsecx
11-16-2005, 04:08 PM
hi there

POISON FREE YOUTH
(1980-2005)

Thanks
xmaryx

might be useful if you list what you do have so, #1 other people know what's out there for future people to ask, and #2 we don't suggest things you already have.