PDA

View Full Version : Hand X's

Alex
11-15-2005, 09:37 PM
Yesterday, I was bored during Biology, so I drew X's on both of my hands, as we both know, that's what they do in clubs and shows to show that you're underage, and a symbol of straight-edge. But, everyone was like, "Did you go clubbing?! You're not old enough!" and "What are the X's for?" and "Did you go to a show?" and everything like that and it was annoying, and I didn't feel like explaining what straight-edge was about since I'm about the only edge person in my school, and it's kind of awkward being the only person with the X's. Are the X's like something a straight-edge person does outside of going to shows and stuff, or do you just get X'd up in shows? And is it kind of like a "rule" or "guideline" for a person to have X's on their hands if it's straight-edge? I haven't found this covered in any other topics.

stepinsideissue
11-16-2005, 12:29 AM
Yesterday, I was bored during Biology, so I drew X's on both of my hands, as we both know, that's what they do in clubs and shows to show that you're underage, and a symbol of straight-edge. But, everyone was like, "Did you go clubbing?! You're not old enough!" and "What are the X's for?" and "Did you go to a show?" and everything like that and it was annoying, and I didn't feel like explaining what straight-edge was about since I'm about the only edge person in my school, and it's kind of awkward being the only person with the X's. Are the X's like something a straight-edge person does outside of going to shows and stuff, or are they just in schools? And is it kind of like a "rule" or "guideline" for a person to have X's on their hands if it's straight-edge? I haven't found this covered in any other topics.

That's totally up to you. I personally try to any time I'm out of the house reguardless unless I'm at work. And I am old enough. I know people that are sXe that have never X'd up. Does it make them less edge. I don't think so. I do because I want people to ask me why I did it and what it's all about.

See here is me and my family at my wifes church play about 2 yrs. ago. Look at that big fat X. xXx

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/ihatedignity/08-31-2005065149PM.jpg

SgtD
11-16-2005, 04:18 AM
i think it's wrong, you should only x up for shows, that's where it belongs to.
less edge? you're sxe, or you're not sxe, there's no other option.

straightXed
11-16-2005, 06:31 AM
I think X-ing up outside of shows is pretty stupid, and kind of takes the whole thing out of context.

stepinsideissue
11-16-2005, 09:32 AM
So you guys only want people to know you're sXe at shows?

stepinsideissue
11-16-2005, 09:34 AM
i think it's wrong, you should only x up for shows, that's where it belongs to.
less edge? you're sxe, or you're not sxe, there's no other option.

You're sXe or you're not sXe, there's no other option. True words were never spoken. I

straightXed
11-16-2005, 09:36 AM

It doesn't really have much relevence outside of the hardcore scene, its not that i don't want them to know i'm straightedge but x-ing up is relevent to shows not relevent to grocery shopping.

stepinsideissue
11-16-2005, 09:42 AM
It doesn't really have much relevence outside of the hardcore scene, its not that i don't want them to know i'm straightedge but x-ing up is relevent to shows not relevent to grocery shopping.

Yes it's only really relevent at shows but why call it stupid if it's done outside of shows.

straightXed
11-16-2005, 09:50 AM
Yes it's only really relevent at shows but why call it stupid if it's done outside of shows.

Because its irrelevent, and stupid.

stepinsideissue
11-16-2005, 10:15 AM
Because its irrelevent, and stupid.

Stupid to you.

straightXed
11-16-2005, 10:19 AM
Stupid to you.

Isn't that what my original post said, that i think its stupid?!

Lost Prophet
11-16-2005, 12:29 PM
i wear my Xs all the time. people at my school dont know jack about edge, but they ask questions, and cuz of that i've "converted" a few people to bein edge. Xs out side the shows spread influence! its a great idea to wear them outside shows

straightXed
11-16-2005, 03:44 PM
i wear my Xs all the time. people at my school dont know jack about edge, but they ask questions, and cuz of that i've "converted" a few people to bein edge. Xs out side the shows spread influence! its a great idea to wear them outside shows

Tell me more about this conversion.

kelly
11-16-2005, 05:28 PM
Tell me more about this conversion.
Well, obviously people would be willing to give up drugs and booze if they knew they could wear x's around on their hands all of the time.

Lost Prophet
11-16-2005, 06:22 PM
Well, obviously people would be willing to give up drugs and booze if they knew they could wear x's around on their hands all of the time.
ha ha very funny.... but theres a lot of hardcore kids that are looking for something better, straight edge seems to give it to them

straightXed
11-16-2005, 06:46 PM
ha ha very funny.... but theres a lot of hardcore kids that are looking for something better, straight edge seems to give it to them

So they were already hardcore kids?

stepinsideissue
11-17-2005, 01:27 AM

hXc = sXe and sXe = hXc. They couldn't be hardcore kids without being sXe.

SgtD
11-17-2005, 02:40 AM
hXc = sXe and sXe = hXc. They couldn't be hardcore kids without being sXe.
you mean they couldn't be sxe kids without being hardcore kids.
also, hXc is not equal to sXe, because not every hardcore kid is sxe.

stepinsideissue
11-17-2005, 02:36 PM
you mean they couldn't be sxe kids without being hardcore kids.
also, hXc is not equal to sXe, because not every hardcore kid is sxe.

Yeah thats what I ment. It was late and I was very tired and typing faster than my brain was thinking. I don't know what I was thinking.

Lost Prophet
11-18-2005, 11:51 AM
So they were already hardcore kids?
not all of them, but even those who arent should hear it

straightXed
11-18-2005, 02:59 PM
not all of them, but even those who arent should hear it

So tell me more of this conversion.

djay
11-18-2005, 11:01 PM
So tell me more of this conversion.

haha, id like to know about the rituals, too.
do you light candles to speak to a sXe god of some sort?
do you talk about how cool an X looks on your hands?

i personally wear the X everyday, but somewhere hidden, just so i feel like im always able to control my body and soul. I wear it on my calf. anyway, thats how i am.

and i hate kids who take on the edge just to wear the x's.

Alex
11-19-2005, 10:25 AM
I like the way the X looks, but I didn't take on the edge because of the X. I didn't even know about the X until I became straight-edge. :P

djay
11-19-2005, 07:16 PM
I like the way the X looks, but I didn't take on the edge because of the X. I didn't even know about the X until I became straight-edge. :P

i hate the expression ''to become straight-edge'' too...i dont know why, it sounds wierd to me...

and, when you decided to take on that way of life, you didnt know about it? like...you discovered it after you ''became'' it? can you start loving music not even knowing what it is?

flame_still_burns
11-19-2005, 08:55 PM
i just sport the 1987 x rated swatch at all times.

the only show i really x up for is posi fest.

but i have this tattooed on my wrist:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/sxxxwade/DSC03381.jpg

so if people wanna notice that i'm straight edge (assuming they know what it is) they can find out.

sXeAlaska
11-24-2005, 11:40 PM
The X's show what you believe. Christians were the cross, Russian Orthodox wear their cross, I see the X as my own cross. You can wear it whenever you want, it's just a sign of what you believe.

GIZMO
12-06-2005, 07:37 AM
im allergic to marker so if i ever put x's on my hands i get this nice little x shaped rash. so fuck that.

PitchInAndDie
12-08-2005, 09:12 AM
The X's show what you believe. Christians were the cross, Russian Orthodox wear their cross, I see the X as my own cross. You can wear it whenever you want, it's just a sign of what you believe.
Straight-edge isnt a front. If its not at a show, then don't wear the X. I don't even understand why would want to wear it outside of a show. Straight-edge isnt a religion, so don't act like it is. If people want to find out, they will. Most of the time anyway, people think your bragging when you tell them your straight-edge and what it is.

yourdoomawaitsu
12-11-2005, 08:52 PM
i x up mostly at shows but sometimes i feel i want to show how proud i am of being sober and proud of being edge so i x up then to, people i grew up with said that since i was raised in a drug influenced home i would become a druggy so i have proven it day in and day out for a year now and will keep it up.

"doubt me, hate me, your the inspiration I need"
hatebreed

xdear_vanityx
12-13-2005, 08:34 PM
i come from a small city where there are a select few edge kids. i wear my X's. i love my X's we have 1 all ages club. we have NO edge bands anymore. so drawing X's on my hands is something im proud of. i am one of out two edge girls in my city. so the X's on my hands will stay. i dont feel "more edge" beacuse i wear X's i LOVE when people ask about them. i love when my whole class has a debate on it. i see no reason not to.

straight sam
12-14-2005, 02:45 PM

I personally dont have X´es on my hands every day. I don´t want to show everybody that I´m edge. I am not ashamed of being edge, but why do I have to show everybody? I think it´s a personal decision, and if everybody goes out and tells the people that he´s edge sXe might become a club for cool kiddies. There will always be some true people, but I don´t see the sense of being straight just because it´s cool... but when I´m on a show I want to be known as sXe.

XKevxEdgeX
12-22-2005, 03:26 PM
dude...if you like x-ing your self outside of shows you can...theres no rules...its not about make up or anything...its not like you do it on special occasions...you do it for you...if it makes you feel better...and if you like showing people...its like telling/showing them your proud...and you should be

XericX
12-22-2005, 08:27 PM
honestly i'm not a big fan of x'ing up. i really love where it come from. i love the history and the story behind it. i've x'ed up at shows with friends before we dance. i just dont like how people go all out with it these days. of course i'm proud of being edge but i just live my life they way i do, free of filth. and kids ask'why are you so happy all the time' or 'why dont you do drugs'. i show my edge in my conversations and by just being a good influence. i dont need to x up to show i'm edge.

XKellsterX
01-09-2006, 08:17 AM
I dont think it really matters. I'd definatly X up at a show, but there are other situations where I feel the need to X up. Like if Im at a party I X up. But usually my hands are ink-free unless a friend at school eggs me on. But yeah at shows the X's are a must have, but I dont think theres anything wrong with showing your pride through hand X's at other places.

straightXed
01-09-2006, 09:01 AM
I dont think it really matters. I'd definatly X up at a show, but there are other situations where I feel the need to X up. Like if Im at a party I X up. But usually my hands are ink-free unless a friend at school eggs me on. But yeah at shows the X's are a must have, but I dont think theres anything wrong with showing your pride through hand X's at other places.

With respect, why do you feel the need to X-up at a party?

XKellsterX
01-10-2006, 07:18 AM
With respect, why do you feel the need to X-up at a party?
Actually Im not sure why. I think its just a habit.

xbustedx
02-02-2006, 09:33 PM
I think it is stupid to only X up and shows I do it all the time. I do it at school I do it when I hang out with my friends and I do it when I go groccery shopping too. It is something that I am proud of and I feel the need to express/show it. no sXe is not a religeon but it is a set of beliefs and any set of beliefs can have a symbol to show others that those are your beliefs.

xsecx
02-02-2006, 09:41 PM
that is not entirely true. there are lots of hXc bands that aren't sXe and that have a lot of hXc fans that aren't sXe.

yeah but what he's saying is that to be straight edge you have to be hardcore.

xbustedx
02-02-2006, 09:42 PM
yeah but what he's saying is that to be straight edge you have to be hardcore.

I know sorry...I guess I should probably finish reading next time.

XKellsterX
02-03-2006, 07:28 AM
so you have to be hardcore to be staright edge? why? ian mckaye's band minor threat was hardcore and punk and he pretty much started sXe. so doesnt that mean you could be punk too?

xvunderx
02-03-2006, 08:41 AM
so you have to be hardcore to be staright edge? why? ian mckaye's band minor threat was hardcore and punk and he pretty much started sXe. so doesnt that mean you could be punk too?

Considering Straight Edge was a reaction against punk, I would say no. Also Minor Threat said in interviews that they were not punk they were Hardcore.

Next point, sXe is a lot more than minor threat, thats where the name came from, but they never intended edge to happen, and were never considered themselves sxe.

daytonohsxe
02-03-2006, 09:03 AM
me putting x's on my hands is like my freedom... freedom from drugs... it's me saying i'm to good to do all that stuff. so i like to express myself as much as i can. example my x's... i do it as much as i can.

xsecx
02-03-2006, 09:21 AM

no for multiple reasons, 1) minor threat was one of the first hardcore bands and were doing what they were doing as a reaction to the punk scene, 2) punk is dead. 3) what is calling itself punk today has no connection whatsoever to the straight edge community. 4) ian may have started it but that's pretty much where his involvement ends. every band since minor threat that has been straight edge, has been a hardcore band.

xrissyXmoshx
02-03-2006, 09:47 AM
i personally dont even ex up for shows anymore cos is all become a fad and all the emo kids who are drinkin and smoking before they get to the show are ex-ed up, and that makes me SAD---if they think edge is wearing an x and yelling out "For My Family For MY Friends" is edge after smoking up a joint...i dont wanna be associated with them....so i dont even x up anymore---but ill always stay true..some of my crew still ex-es up for shows though ...so its really all whatever your want to do ..no?

xsecx
02-03-2006, 09:49 AM
i personally dont even ex up for shows anymore cos is all become a fad and all the emo kids who are drinkin and smoking before they get to the show are ex-ed up, and that makes me SAD---if they think edge is wearing an x and yelling out "For My Family For MY Friends" is edge after smoking up a joint...i dont wanna be associated with them....so i dont even x up anymore---but ill always stay true..some of my crew still ex-es up for shows though ...so its really all whatever your want to do ..no?

wouldn't those kids be a major reason why you'd want to x up?

xrissyXmoshx
02-03-2006, 09:50 AM
oh and plus -im sorda ex-edup for life on my ankel with the tripple x.....

xXx

XKellsterX
02-03-2006, 10:07 AM
no for multiple reasons, 1) minor threat was one of the first hardcore bands and were doing what they were doing as a reaction to the punk scene, 2) punk is dead. 3) what is calling itself punk today has no connection whatsoever to the straight edge community. 4) ian may have started it but that's pretty much where his involvement ends. every band since minor threat that has been straight edge, has been a hardcore band.

ok so straight edge is hardcore in most cases right?

xsecx
02-03-2006, 10:08 AM
ok so straight edge is hardcore in most cases right?

in what cases wouldn't it be?

xrissyXmoshx
02-03-2006, 10:19 AM
not really-cos you see, from my point of veiw they give it a bad name--- like sure i wear edge clothing and stuff but...everyone in the scene knows whos true--and those kids usually get jumped later on after the hate edge kids find out theyr ex-ed up and doing what they do. its not that i dont wanna be like BAM these are my x's this is my life---i just dont want people who a rent in the scene to see me with x's and see yhem with x's and think were doing the same thing...cos im not breaking---they were never edge to begin with they just think edge is hxc and the cool thing to be at the moment till some band whos not edge shows up in town. i guess i think differently from alot of other kids--ya know?

collin
02-16-2006, 10:42 AM
I personally wear a sXe on my wrist, which has helped me to tell people about Straight Edge, cause when they see sXe, they're like "What the fuck is that? Sexy?"

xJONNYSCREAMx
02-26-2006, 01:22 PM

I agree. Not just hardcore, but those new "metalcore" kids. For me, edge is about being true to myself, as well as for caring for those around me. By showing kids I'm edge (at school) it brings questions, and curiosity is the root of knowledge.

XshiXnyX
03-13-2006, 08:28 PM
I X up all the time. I show pride for being sXe And for living a better life. But I respect the choice if someone doesnt want to X up. Its a personal choice, and doesnt make you less edge than if I X up every day( which I do)

SgtD
03-14-2006, 12:28 AM
I X up all the time. I show pride for being sXe And for living a better life. But I respect the choice if someone doesnt want to X up. Its a personal choice, and doesnt make you less edge than if I X up every day( which I do)
please read the thread from start to finish, and realise why it's stupid to x up all the time. thanks for your time.

mouseman004
03-14-2006, 12:41 AM
I never X'd up because to me, straight edge was a personal choice, its not something i did for the attention i would get nor did i think i was better than anybody who wasnt straight edge. It was a choice i made for myself, not for anybody else

xsecx
03-14-2006, 09:17 AM
I never X'd up because to me, straight edge was a personal choice, its not something i did for the attention i would get nor did i think i was better than anybody who wasnt straight edge. It was a choice i made for myself, not for anybody else

I thought you were never straight edge?

XshiXnyX
03-14-2006, 11:31 AM
please read the thread from start to finish, and realise why it's stupid to x up all the time. thanks for your time.

Never! Its better to be ignorant and in the dark then to be educated and in the light?

Right....RIGHT?

But I dont think its stupid to X up all the time. Its like a little reminder to me to keep my edge, because I get offered weed and alchohol and shit all of the time. But when I look at that X, and I just turn it down, because That shit isnt worth it. I guess what im saying is that the X's are a reminder that help me. and thank YOU for your time :)

SgtD
03-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Never! Its better to be ignorant and in the dark then to be educated and in the light?

Right....RIGHT?

But I dont think its stupid to X up all the time. Its like a little reminder to me to keep my edge, because I get offered weed and alchohol and shit all of the time. But when I look at that X, and I just turn it down, because That shit isnt worth it. I guess what im saying is that the X's are a reminder that help me. and thank YOU for your time :)
so if there is no x on your fists, you can't turn down drugs?
you seriously need to read the whole thread

XshiXnyX
03-14-2006, 11:44 AM
so if there is no x on your fists, you can't turn down drugs?
you seriously need to read the whole thread

No, I can still turn down drugs, But sometimes, When your feeling really shitty, You need something to boost you up. My X's are what boost me, so that I have Even more will power to turn down drugs.

Hmm, I still dont see why were arguing about this. Because its not a hes right hes wrong thing, its all just opinions.

straightXed
03-14-2006, 12:40 PM

Right....RIGHT?

So are you likely to forget you are edge without an x on your hand?

straightXed
03-14-2006, 12:45 PM
No, I can still turn down drugs, But sometimes, When your feeling really shitty, You need something to boost you up. My X's are what boost me, so that I have Even more will power to turn down drugs.

Hmm, I still dont see why were arguing about this. Because its not a hes right hes wrong thing, its all just opinions.

So you use an x as a crutch to get through your day and give you strength against drugs? Don't you think you should be able to do that without wearing x's?

And opinions can be wrong and can be changed when looked at from different perspectives, i think thats why people here will comment on what they see a flaw in and perhaps it might help you see things from a different angle. Unless you are so set in your opinions that you aren't prepared to change them regardless of what people point out to you?

XshiXnyX
03-14-2006, 12:46 PM
So are you likely to forget you are edge without an x on your hand?

No, Its kind of like a pencil.....I have no idea where I was going with that one.

Ill get back to you when I find a better way to explain it ><

straightXed
03-14-2006, 01:03 PM
No, Its kind of like a pencil.....I have no idea where I was going with that one.

Ill get back to you when I find a better way to explain it ><

I wouldn't bother.

XshiXnyX
03-14-2006, 01:23 PM
how about we just say that we agree to disagree?

straightXed
03-14-2006, 03:34 PM
how about we just say that we agree to disagree?

Well no, because thats just you not addressing the points people brought up, your reasoning for as to why you x-up outside of shows is flawed and it would help if you either took that on board or explained why you won't. Saying "its like a pencil" doesn't really do anything, if you can't put forward a decent reason to x-up outside of hardcore you should ask yourself why you do it.

XshiXnyX
03-14-2006, 04:30 PM
well, as ive probably said before, I have pride. And so I have my X's either on my hands or on the bottum of my wrists. I guess its just one of those things that make me feel good about myself.

mouseman004
03-14-2006, 04:42 PM
I thought you were never straight edge?
Thats why my comment is in past tense, because I thought I was up until a couple of weeks ago

straightXed
03-14-2006, 05:42 PM
well, as ive probably said before, I have pride. And so I have my X's either on my hands or on the bottum of my wrists. I guess its just one of those things that make me feel good about myself.

You can be proud to be straightedge without x-ing up ever. The fact you do it everyday has no real reason in accordance with hardcore, x-ing up is relevent at hardcore shows, to do it else where takes it out of context.

There should be no need to look at an x in order to turn drugs down and there should be no need for a reminder that you are straight edge. If its a choice you made because it fits you there should be no need to have an x help you reject drugs, however what you describe certainly sounds more like you are trying to adhere to some core values that you aren't 100% on and are trying to fit to by wearing x's. Now i know it isn't easy with peer pressure but if you are in two minds about drink or drugs in the first place then that needs addressing rather than letting an x on your hand stop you from freely thinking where you actually stand on it. I mean if the x wasn't on your hand would it make a difference to your choice, and if not why do you need to wear it everyday, you should be able to feel good about yourself without an x on your hand.

XBILLYX
03-14-2006, 10:28 PM
i see kids at work and in public with their x's all the time, i dont, i hardly ever do out side of shows, but i do when i think its necessary.

SgtD
03-15-2006, 02:29 AM
i see kids at work and in public with their x's all the time, i dont, i hardly ever do out side of shows, but i do when i think its necessary.
when is it necessary?

XBILLYX
03-15-2006, 12:07 PM
well my girlfriend likes going to partys not ask me why she doesnt drink or anything we always end up leveling because i cant stand retards. but i got tired of people asking me to drink all the time so i started wearing my X's there to. i believed it was necessary.

straightXed
03-15-2006, 12:17 PM
well my girlfriend likes going to partys not ask me why she doesnt drink or anything we always end up leveling because i cant stand retards. but i got tired of people asking me to drink all the time so i started wearing my X's there to. i believed it was necessary.

Whats wrong with "no thanks"? I mean what if they don't know what X's mean, then you end up doing a load of explaining that isn't necessary?

XBILLYX
03-15-2006, 01:14 PM
i did that. it gets old. the x's you only have to explain once. word gets around.

straightXed
03-15-2006, 03:36 PM
i did that. it gets old. the x's you only have to explain once. word gets around.

Not really, unless you are saying you are sure that you will never encounter anyone that doesn't know what the x's refer to. And if you are suggesting it is easier because you only have to explain the once what about the fact you have to repeatedly re-draw them? For any could be occasion when you may be offered a drink, it seems like a bit of a drawn out process when you can simply say "no i don't drink thanks" - word will get around about that too. And what will you do when drawing on yourself gets old?

XBILLYX
03-15-2006, 09:07 PM
Not really, unless you are saying you are sure that you will never encounter anyone that doesn't know what the x's refer to. And if you are suggesting it is easier because you only have to explain the once what about the fact you have to repeatedly re-draw them? For any could be occasion when you may be offered a drink, it seems like a bit of a drawn out process when you can simply say "no i don't drink thanks" - word will get around about that too. And what will you do when drawing on yourself gets old?

yea i answer that question alot. it spreads what we are. it makes people think as long as there arent to fucked up already. they ask more about it and i am happy to tell them about it to. the drawing does get old but i use a big as sharpy and its two quick moves. and its what twice a month if my girlfriend is lucky?