PDA

View Full Version : Am I becoming straight edge ?

Frédz
11-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm Frédz, some kind of guy from Switzerland (apoligies for my bad english...), future tattoo artist and in the punk/oi!/hardcore/ska scène since about 5 years.

I usualy drink a lot and get drunk almost everyday at the week-ends and holidays and sometimes smoke weed. A few days ago I didn't drink at saturday night and realised how stupid people in my town can be, drinking because they can't do anything else and staying with other wasted people juste to laugh of each other (I live in a place where wine production is very big and a lot of people have drinking problems). The next day I had such a new energy an found new ideas for tattoos drawing and was so damn' healty that I could do anything... this made my think a lot and I realised that I didn't needed booze or weed to live and that was slowing me a lot in my work and was destroying my mind and my body a little more each week-end. I decided to stop drinking and weed for a period of time that I didn't decided a the time, maybe for the rest of my life.

A already followed the "no sex without love" thing for a long time and without drinking and smoking that would be sXe ?

In fact I'm not sure if I'm straigt edge because it seeme to be so dogmatic... just like religion or school... I don't know what to think about that shit...

So, people, do you think I'm becoming sXe ?

Ps: if you want to see a few drawing and read crap: http://blog.myspace.com/fredzartwork

xsecx
11-07-2005, 03:34 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm Frédz, some kind of guy from Switzerland (apoligies for my bad english...), future tattoo artist and in the punk/oi!/hardcore/ska scène since about 5 years.

I usualy drink a lot and get drunk almost everyday at the week-ends and holidays and sometimes smoke weed. A few days ago I didn't drink at saturday night and realised how stupid people in my town can be, drinking because they can't do anything else and staying with other wasted people juste to laugh of each other (I live in a place where wine production is very big and a lot of people have drinking problems). The next day I had such a new energy an found new ideas for tattoos drawing and was so damn' healty that I could do anything... this made my think a lot and I realised that I didn't needed booze or weed to live and that was slowing me a lot in my work and was destroying my mind and my body a little more each week-end. I decided to stop drinking and weed for a period of time that I didn't decided a the time, maybe for the rest of my life.

A already followed the "no sex without love" thing for a long time and without drinking and smoking that would be sXe ?

In fact I'm not sure if I'm straigt edge because it seeme to be so dogmatic... just like religion or school... I don't know what to think about that shit...

So, people, do you think I'm becoming sXe ?

Ps: if you want to see a few drawing and read crap: http://blog.myspace.com/fredzartwork

the honest answer is yes if you want to be.

but what's so dogmatic about straight edge?

Frédz
11-08-2005, 06:11 AM
Well.. it seems to be dogmatic because it's made of rules... if you don't drink beer it is because the rule said not to drink beer or that you realy think that it sucks to get drunk ?

For example: if you drink only 1 glas wine a day it won't kill you...

xsecx
11-08-2005, 08:34 AM
Well.. it seems to be dogmatic because it's made of rules... if you don't drink beer it is because the rule said not to drink beer or that you realy think that it sucks to get drunk ?

For example: if you drink only 1 glas wine a day it won't kill you...

yeah, but you're straight edge based on your choices, not that the choices dictate what you are. If you want to a drink a glass of wine a day, then it's not a problem, it just means you're not straight edge. Everything has rules. Everything has a set of criteria to determine if something is something else, that doesn't make it dogmatic. It just means that there are a list of characteristics that make something what it is. The point being are you straight edge because it fits who you are or are you clinging onto rules to be something you think you should be.

stepinsideissue
11-08-2005, 10:12 AM
I think you are becoming aware of what sXe is and is about. We can't tell you if you are becoming sXe. That is a choice you have to make. It to me is pretty cut and dry. You are sXe or you are not. You can work on cleaning yourself and your life up but that doesn't nessacarily mean you are becomeing sXe. You have to choose if sXe is a life style you want to live.