PDA

View Full Version : This Got Brought To My Attention

xXxthe_culpritxXx
10-30-2005, 11:24 PM
So, a friend of mine brought this up in a straightedge conversation. (He's not edge) He said, "You cannot believe in God and be edge". Everybody else disagreed with him.

This is his reasoning: A drug is something you turn to as a relief. Most people turn to God as a relief of their problems. Therefore, God is a drug.

I don't really want to believe him but his reasoning is, in fact, true. I just wanted somebody else's opinion.

straightXed
10-31-2005, 04:29 AM
So, a friend of mine brought this up in a straightedge conversation. (He's not edge) He said, "You cannot believe in God and be edge". Everybody else disagreed with him.

This is his reasoning: A drug is something you turn to as a relief. Most people turn to God as a relief of their problems. Therefore, God is a drug.

I don't really want to believe him but his reasoning is, in fact, true. I just wanted somebody else's opinion.

He's right but for the wrong reasons, check out the religion section for past posts on the matter.

drughate_vegan
11-03-2005, 01:18 AM

yeah - i see exactly what he means - the addictive factor of emotions. but you have to consider EVERYTHING that can be refered to as a relief. food relieves hunger, companionship relieves lonliness, a massage relieves stress. are these things actually drug related? are you gonna stop eating, having friends, and stop getting a full-body massage because your edge? i sure as hell am not. and besides, it really isn't that believing in god makes you non-edge, it's being christian that does. there is a difference.

stepinsideissue
11-03-2005, 11:05 AM
yeah - i see exactly what he means - the addictive factor of emotions. but you have to consider EVERYTHING that can be refered to as a relief. food relieves hunger, companionship relieves lonliness, a massage relieves stress. are these things actually drug related? are you gonna stop eating, having friends, and stop getting a full-body massage because your edge? i sure as hell am not. and besides, it really isn't that believing in god makes you non-edge, it's being christian that does. there is a difference.

This is a very good point because music relieves my emotions and stress. Especially some good hXc music which is essential to being sxe.

Alex
11-15-2005, 04:09 PM
This is a really stupid comment. Drugs are used for relief, but that doesn't mean that everything that relieves a person is a drug. When I pee, I'm relieved. Is peeing a drug? No.

Fod
11-15-2005, 04:44 PM
If you call God a drug then wouldnt you have to give up all other forms of relief? That would mean you would have to live in a box and eat nothing then bland oatmeal and drink nothing but water. Even then relief would still be present. That is a stupid argument to make.

i sure as hell am not. and besides, it really isn't that believing in god makes you non-edge, it's being christian that does. there is a difference.besides how is being a christian make you not edge? I am a christian and straight edge. Considering everybodys indivual view of edge then doesn't make you not edge from somebody's point of view?

xsecx
11-15-2005, 04:56 PM
but water. Even then relief would still be present. That is a stupid argument to make.
besides how is being a christian make you not edge? I am a christian and straight edge. Considering everybodys indivual view of edge then doesn't make you not edge from somebody's point of view?

go look in the religion section, it's well covered ground.

xvunderx
11-16-2005, 07:42 AM
This is a really stupid comment. Drugs are used for relief, but that doesn't mean that everything that relieves a person is a drug. When I pee, I'm relieved. Is peeing a drug? No.

Peeing is the greatest drug of all. I know I can't face the day till I've had a good pee.