PDA

View Full Version : is ian mackaye still straight-edge

nickyxx
10-04-2005, 05:16 PM
Does anyone know whether Ian MacKaye, or any other members from minor threat are still straight-edge?

straightXed
10-04-2005, 05:36 PM
Does anyone know whether Ian MacKaye, or any other members from minor threat are still straight-edge?

Mackaye isn't, and essentially he never was. Don't know about the rest but i would doubt it.

nickyxx
10-04-2005, 05:52 PM
why would you say he never was?

straightXed
10-04-2005, 06:10 PM
why would you say he never was?

Because what you know as the accepted idea of straightedge was something he never followed or intended to be part of. He distanced himself from having anything to do with what the straightedge movement is/was, the people that spurred that movement took the name straightedge and applied it to the movement, ian didn't write the song with any intention of it spurring a movement (by his own admission) and didn't intend for the name to be used in the way it has. He was never really a part of the straightedge movement except for being associated by the names roots. This is not to say minor threat isn't an integral part of straightedge history just that ians views don't really seem to allign with the general consensus of what straightedge has come to mean and be.

flame_still_burns
10-04-2005, 10:49 PM
regardless of being straight edge or not. the last time i spoke with him, he still lived by every word he said in minor threat. this was 1995 or 1996, so i don't know what's gone one since... but i'd assume he still doesn't do anything non-'straight edge'

drughate_vegan
10-06-2005, 04:39 PM
regardless of being straight edge or not. the last time i spoke with him, he still lived by every word he said in minor threat. this was 1995 or 1996, so i don't know what's gone one since... but i'd assume he still doesn't do anything non-'straight edge'
where did you meet him?
cool guy?

flame_still_burns
10-09-2005, 12:51 PM
where did you meet him?
cool guy?

i've met him a few times. in 1995, he and the rest of fugazi spent the night at this house i lived at and did shows at. we stayed up talking about minor threat and hardcore for hours... great guy and has an awesome sense of humor that doesn't always show through if you've seen fugazi live.

stepinsideissue
10-09-2005, 05:58 PM
i've met him a few times. in 1995, he and the rest of fugazi spent the night at this house i lived at and did shows at. we stayed up talking about minor threat and hardcore for hours... great guy and has an awesome sense of humor that doesn't always show through if you've seen fugazi live.

You are officaly my new hero.

notsidewalkchalk
10-25-2005, 05:57 PM
ian mackaye wasnt ever straightedge? newssss to me.

well, if he was i suppose it wouldnt make sense to give up being it later. after making such an impact.

StrikexHard
10-27-2005, 05:46 PM
Ian Mackaye Isnt Anymore.He Smokes like a bitch

notsidewalkchalk
10-27-2005, 05:54 PM
good role model eh?

O_o
10-28-2005, 06:49 AM
So you've seen Mackaye smoke?

xCAMIx
10-28-2005, 08:27 AM
ian is definately still edge. and i know this because henry rollins knows ian. and rollins was in the movie "punk:attitude" and he said ian wont even do an interview with a magazine who has a beer ad inside.

xCAMIx
10-28-2005, 08:36 AM
sec, whats your thoughts on all of this?

xsecx
10-28-2005, 08:47 AM
sec, whats your thoughts on all of this?

I've seen the man drink a beer.
Ian also has a different "definiton" of what makes someone straight edge than the people here and is pretty largely irrelevant to what straight edge is today. Hero worship is a dangerous thing.