PDA

View Full Version : what was the first sxe band you ever heard?

gatsaw
09-06-2005, 04:54 PM
since iīm from sweden of course it was a swedish band that was my first encounter with sxe music, refused. accually i donīt know if you call them a "sxe band" but at least they were sxe (from what iīve heard).
one of the first non-swedish hardcore bands i heard was snapcase.
this might not be interesting to you, but at least i thought so when i wrote this.

stepinsideissue
09-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Mine was on Friday December 15, 1995 in Indianapolis, In. and it was a show with Shelter, Earthcrisis, Curb, and a local high school band that I was friends with at the time Failsafe.
It cost $6 and a toy, blanket, or can of food. It was a benefit for th Coalition to Abolish the Fur Trade and the World Youth Action Coalition. I still have the flyer.

xsecx
09-06-2005, 08:58 PM
I was given YOT's can't close my eyes on tape in 1988 when it was reissued by schism.

keithxXx
09-07-2005, 12:32 AM
I was given YOT's can't close my eyes on tape in 1988 when it was reissued by schism.
my first sxe band was cxj

IAN
09-07-2005, 12:50 AM
Sick Of It All,"Live In The World Full Of Hate" was my first introduction to HC. And still it is one of the best collection I've ever had

flame_still_burns
09-07-2005, 03:28 AM
minor threat.

i heard it on a punk rock radio show from kgnu radio out of boulder colorado. it sounded different than the other stuff they were playing, this is probably late 1986. i managed to track down the cassette of out of step, which i still have by the way... listened to the hell out of that. it took me a little time to realize that there were other bands popping up with these same ideas and fast, aggressive music. i met another guy who was going through the same list of bands at the same time i was... and i just re-found him on myspace. he wrote me an awesome letter about being in high school and listening to and going to see these bands. he's married and has two girls just like me now. it sounds wierd, but you really had to seek this shit out back then. no internet, no mp3's, no people that don't listen to hardcore but swear up and down that doesn't mean they aren't straight edge...

i'm so nostalgic.

SgtD
09-07-2005, 04:09 AM
Slapshot's old tyme hardcore

livithezombie
09-07-2005, 04:29 AM
minor threat.

i heard it on a punk rock radio show from kgnu radio out of boulder colorado. it sounded different than the other stuff they were playing, this is probably late 1986. i managed to track down the cassette of out of step, which i still have by the way... listened to the hell out of that. it took me a little time to realize that there were other bands popping up with these same ideas and fast, aggressive music. i met another guy who was going through the same list of bands at the same time i was... and i just re-found him on myspace. he wrote me an awesome letter about being in high school and listening to and going to see these bands. he's married and has two girls just like me now. it sounds wierd, but you really had to seek this shit out back then. no internet, no mp3's, no people that don't listen to hardcore but swear up and down that doesn't mean they aren't straight edge...

i'm so nostalgic.

haha i wasn't even born then!

gatsaw
09-07-2005, 07:03 AM
minor threat.

i'm so nostalgic.
wow, youīve been into hardcore as long as iīve lived, thatīs pretty cool.

haha i wasn't even born then!
i was probably only a few months old.

xsecx
09-07-2005, 09:28 AM
minor threat.

i'm so nostalgic.

the kids today honestly have no idea how hard it actually was. you only learned about shows from flyers at record stores or word of mouth from people you actually hung out with. only way i'd find out about new bands would be zines, but mostly from thanks lists. which lead to some really great purchases and some horrible god awful ones.

straightXed
09-07-2005, 09:38 AM
the kids today honestly have no idea how hard it actually was. you only learned about shows from flyers at record stores or word of mouth from people you actually hung out with. only way i'd find out about new bands would be zines, but mostly from thanks lists. which lead to some really great purchases and some horrible god awful ones.

Thanks lists are what i used when i was getting into hardcore. First band i heard was minor threat via the beastie boys unless you count the beastie boys early stuff then it was them but i don't so i'll say minor threat.

xvunderx
09-07-2005, 09:47 AM

I used to use thanks lists and zines pretty much exclusivley. No one I knew (or who I was in touch with) liked the same kinda thing, so I pretty much went it alone.

stepinsideissue
09-07-2005, 03:11 PM

We'd always hand out these homemade xeroxed band flyers with no date or time or the Batman ones that said same bat time, same bat place, same bat price. It was great they littered the halls, down the stair wells, all over the walls. Everyone else would just kinda stare at them funny. The people who knew what the ment knew X up and be at the Wesport at 6:30 with your $5. It was great. Those were the days. Almost every friday night.

IAN
09-07-2005, 07:09 PM

HAHAHAHAHA...seriously, when you said...."kids today....", I start to feel "whoa, the older dude start feeling as if we were some posers, that just got involved in HC for being a trend follower". I must be honest with you. I got into HC since 1998, that means I've been in this scene only for seven years. Still I'm no expert in HC, I always feel that I'm just a newbie still learning the rope to be a HC kids. But if you ever lived in Indonesia/Jakarta, you'll notice that anyone in HC scene always find some hardtime just to come to the gigs. Believe me. Flyers are really poorly distributed, while the zines is so hard to get ( I always xerox the zines my self). Rather than purchasing some USA or Europe bands, we try the best we can to totally support the local band. They usually cut the records on the format of TAPE. Many local bands still carry on the old way. DIY is totally implemented here. No record stores that sell any HC records. The only way to purchase HC records is through Distro, illegal distro that sell their records on the venue or park. Why illegal, because you gotta run as fast as you can when cops show up. So I guess, the HC scene in Indonesia is still keeping DIY attitude, and trust me, it really sucks to be HC kids in Indonesia. You have to fight with cops and the worst motherfuckers we have to deal with is "RELIGIOUS GROUP"

gatsaw
09-08-2005, 05:16 AM
iīm not going to kid myself by saying i know how it was back i the early hc-days, but i do know that the way i got to know new bands were from my big brother and his friends, from thanks lists of the few records i owned and i had no other way to learn about new bands. we didnīt even get connected to internet before i was like 14 or something like that, and it took me several years before i really understood that the possibilities of the net. and the way you describe that you got to know about shows from is the same way i get to know about the few shows that are around here.

by this iīm only trying to tell that i, as a kinda new kid, know a bit of the reality you had when you got into hardcore. not the whole picture, and i know it was probably a whole lot harder in your days, but that i can see a lot of things in your description that is true in my life (or something like that).
and i think i got into hc probably around 1999, but then i didnīt really search for new stuff that hard.

xsecx
09-08-2005, 01:32 PM
iīm not going to kid myself by saying i know how it was back i the early hc-days, but i do know that the way i got to know new bands were from my big brother and his friends, from thanks lists of the few records i owned and i had no other way to learn about new bands. we didnīt even get connected to internet before i was like 14 or something like that, and it took me several years before i really understood that the possibilities of the net. and the way you describe that you got to know about shows from is the same way i get to know about the few shows that are around here.

by this iīm only trying to tell that i, as a kinda new kid, know a bit of the reality you had when you got into hardcore. not the whole picture, and i know it was probably a whole lot harder in your days, but that i can see a lot of things in your description that is true in my life (or something like that).
and i think i got into hc probably around 1999, but then i didnīt really search for new stuff that hard.

it's also I think why people view it a lot differently, to us, it really was just diy, dude's like us in bands and doing zines. Stuff has changed a ton now. you're got more people involved, and unforunately you've got some differences in perceptions. Bands aren't anywhere near as accessible now, it doesn't have anywhere near the same feel. Some definitely does, but for the most part, it just doesn't. And that makes me sad for you guys that are just coming into things now, because it won't ever go back to that.

gatsaw
09-08-2005, 03:23 PM
it's also I think why people view it a lot differently, to us, it really was just diy, dude's like us in bands and doing zines. Stuff has changed a ton now. you're got more people involved, and unforunately you've got some differences in perceptions. Bands aren't anywhere near as accessible now, it doesn't have anywhere near the same feel. Some definitely does, but for the most part, it just doesn't. And that makes me sad for you guys that are just coming into things now, because it won't ever go back to that.
one thing that really makes me sad is that i wasnīt big enough to know the greatness of hc when my town (vänersborg) was one of the big hc-towns i sweden and so many great bands played here. when i got into hc that movement had moved away, or the people who lived for the scene had moved away, and therefore the music kinda started to go away.
and even after i had "got into" hc i didnīt even go to a shelter show that was i town. something i really regret now, although since then iīve gone to every show i knew of and could go to.

the part with more involved does not fit in overhere since most edgers here have moved away, many of them to the states, but i get your point.
and i also know that my relation to hc never will be in the same way as you older edgers, since you had the great luck of getting to get on the train when i still was new (my own rubbish simile, i think).

IAN
09-08-2005, 06:56 PM

I sometime quetion my self, is it wrong for me just to get invoved in HC today. Yes I admit it, that i didn't experiance the salad days of HC. Sure my first encounter with HC when I got Sick Of It All tape. And sure we're newbies compared to you that have experianced for your whole life. But give us some slack here. Why can't you stop saying it won't go back to that?. Felix Havoc, who owns Havoc records even said "HC scene is getting stronger now then ever". I read his profile, and I'm surprised that he's been into this since '83, but not one time he ever looked down to younger kids. He infact encouraged new bands, or simply just welcome the new kids to the scene. We the new kids always respect you the elder ones, but why there isn't mutual respect from you guys?. Do you think that the HC today is less DIY? well then I guess the problem is that the elder just never really see how new bands like life's halt, Down In Flames, E.T.A etc, are still keeping the DIY alive.

xsecx
09-08-2005, 07:20 PM
I sometime quetion my self, is it wrong for me just to get invoved in HC today. Yes I admit it, that i didn't experiance the salad days of HC. Sure my first encounter with HC when I got Sick Of It All tape. And sure we're newbies compared to you that have experianced for your whole life. But give us some slack here. Why can't you stop saying it won't go back to that?. Felix Havoc, who owns Havoc records even said "HC scene is getting stronger now then ever". I read his profile, and I'm surprised that he's been into this since '83, but not one time he ever looked down to younger kids. He infact encouraged new bands, or simply just welcome the new kids to the scene. We the new kids always respect you the elder ones, but why there isn't mutual respect from you guys?. Do you think that the HC today is less DIY? well then I guess the problem is that the elder just never really see how new bands like life's halt, Down In Flames, E.T.A etc, are still keeping the DIY alive.

a couple of point, one, no one is giving the younger kids crap, but simply stating that things aren't the same and aren't as good now. two, felix havoc is insane and has been insane for a really long time. I don't see where you think that anything anyone here said would lead you to believe that there isn't mutual respect? HC today is less DIY and is borderline big business. It isn't anywhere near as closeknit as it was or even as sincere. For every E.T.A, there's a throwdown, an 18 visions and a hatebreed.

IAN
09-09-2005, 09:46 PM
a couple of point, one, no one is giving the younger kids crap, but simply stating that things aren't the same and aren't as good now. two, felix havoc is insane and has been insane for a really long time. I don't see where you think that anything anyone here said would lead you to believe that there isn't mutual respect? HC today is less DIY and is borderline big business. It isn't anywhere near as closeknit as it was or even as sincere. For every E.T.A, there's a throwdown, an 18 visions and a hatebreed.

well then I have to thank you for not giving crap to younger kids. But trust me dude, I'm into HC not because of trend or anything. I'm totally agree that many of HC bands you mentioned are business oriented. But for me those bands you just mentioned are not HC, since they lost their DIY attitude. I think we have what I like to call geographical differences. To Us, here in Jakarta, it's really hard to keep up what happened in the HC scene in U.S or europe. That's way we really try to build our own scene. Sure we buy records from U.S or Europe countries. But we never purchased those bands that already moved to some major lable, because when you loose your DIY attitude, then that day you're no longer HC.

xsecx
09-09-2005, 09:53 PM
well then I have to thank you for not giving crap to younger kids. But trust me dude, I'm into HC not because of trend or anything. I'm totally agree that many of HC bands you mentioned are business oriented. But for me those bands you just mentioned are not HC, since they lost their DIY attitude. I think we have what I like to call geographical differences. To Us, here in Jakarta, it's really hard to keep up what happened in the HC scene in U.S or europe. That's way we really try to build our own scene. Sure we buy records from U.S or Europe countries. But we never purchased those bands that already moved to some major lable, because when you loose your DIY attitude, then that day you're no longer HC.

any and all criticism I have for things is pretty much purely directed at the US. stuff outside of the US, especially in asia and eastern europe still does have that same feel and spirit that made things great. it's just not that way in the US anymore and I doubt it'll ever be again.

drughate_vegan
09-10-2005, 03:04 AM
minor threat and earth crisis.
afi from years back is bad ass.

xsecx
09-10-2005, 08:50 AM
minor threat and earth crisis.
afi from years back is bad ass.

afi was never a straight edge band.

IAN
09-10-2005, 09:43 AM
any and all criticism I have for things is pretty much purely directed at the US. stuff outside of the US, especially in asia and eastern europe still does have that same feel and spirit that made things great. it's just not that way in the US anymore and I doubt it'll ever be again.
HAHAHAHA finally we got somewhere....thanks God. I really wish that you would come here and I can show you the whole HC scene here in Jakarta. To be honest with you're cool and love to have this kind discussion with you. I just want everybody to know that in most of south asian countries HC is still DIY and the passion still pure, just don't know how long it will last....and one thing...sometimes the older kids just forgot that they actually passed the legacy that still lives outside U.S and bands like Minor Threat, YOT, Judge, Bold, SSD , Black Flag...still has a very big impact on us, and that what makes us jump in to HC, and keep it DIY.

drughate_vegan
09-14-2005, 10:59 PM
afi was never a straight edge band.
right - but they're still bad ass
http://sxe.com/forums/showthread.php?p=53111#post53111

xcooperx
09-20-2005, 12:14 AM
Throwdown or Earth Crisis. I cant remember which because I came across both at the same time.

x_kate_x
09-20-2005, 08:02 PM
either minor threat or throwdown..

djay
09-20-2005, 08:35 PM
Gorilla biscuits i think...or minor threat

straightXed
09-20-2005, 08:54 PM
As it turns out i heard start today by gorilla biscuits years before i actually had a clue what it was. It was the music to some guys skate section on an old world industries skate video. When i was actively listening to hardcore it would have been minor threat i think.

xdaddydaycorex
09-28-2005, 04:32 PM
probably minor threat, however no one called them straightedge back then so...
uniform choice might be the first sxe band i heard that were calling themselves straightedge.

endofalifetime
09-30-2005, 01:02 PM
A good dose of "Start Today" back in the early nineties. This "infant" has been hooked ever since.

XLivingEarthX
09-30-2005, 02:15 PM
I know it was Minor Threat for me and finally 7-8 years later I have an edge. I dunno guess I had some learning to do. At least now I know what it means to be straight edge and I appreciate this feeling everyday, I love this feeling I love being Straight Edge. I don't regret anything that got me here.

Vodka
10-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Now that I think about it, I don't know HOW (considering I liked some SHITTY bands around this time), but I'm pretty sure the first straight-edge band I ever heard (and liked) was Adamantium ("Molotov Solution"), back in like 8th or 9th grade.

Lucretia_UK
10-09-2005, 03:08 PM
Minor Threat about what, 8 months ago! I'm really, really new to this, don't claim edge and am fully aware of my own ignorance before someone shouts me down for that. I've been an abstainer for a year or two and was really pissed off with the way one of my friends was acting (drunk on the floor at a gig unable to move due to intense vodka consumption). A kid I knew sent me some Minor Threat stuff and told me that I wasn't the only person in the world who felt like drinking was shit.

I know one guy who swears Good Charlotte are edge. That makes me laugh. A lot.

straightXed
10-09-2005, 03:13 PM
Minor Threat about what, 8 months ago! I'm really, really new to this, don't claim edge and am fully aware of my own ignorance before someone shouts me down for that. I've been an abstainer for a year or two and was really pissed off with the way one of my friends was acting (drunk on the floor at a gig unable to move due to intense vodka consumption). A kid I knew sent me some Minor Threat stuff and told me that I wasn't the only person in the world who felt like drinking was shit.

I know one guy who swears Good Charlotte are edge. That makes me laugh. A lot.

You should refer to them as just 'charlotte' as theres nothing good about them.

Lucretia_UK
10-11-2005, 11:16 AM
You should refer to them as just 'charlotte' as theres nothing good about them.

Hehe. That made me laugh!

StrikexHard
10-27-2005, 06:32 PM
i heard bold when i was 9 and thought they were the shittiest band everso i avoided hardcore. then my brother was playing bane in his room and i ended up really geting in to them and that pretty much dragged me into the rest

xsecx
10-28-2005, 08:30 AM
i heard bold when i was 9 and thought they were the shittiest band everso i avoided hardcore. then my brother was playing bane in his room and i ended up really geting in to them and that pretty much dragged me into the rest

for a 9 year old you were very wise. bold were pretty shitty.

still_standin
11-04-2005, 11:38 AM
I lucked out, had a mixed tape of Strife and eXcX given to me from a guy whos dead now. And at that time I truly thought they were terrible musically.

xRodboi!x
11-16-2005, 01:21 PM
It was refused,but i don't if we could call em really sxe,so it was simply minor threat with"straight edge".

Lifestyle_X
12-09-2005, 02:09 PM
Minor Threath - Straight Edge. =]

Lifestyle_X
12-09-2005, 02:59 PM
Sorry :-/, it was actually Embrace Today.

straight sam
12-14-2005, 01:43 AM
hmm... think it was good clean fun... first song I remember was On the streets saving the scene from the forces of evil. Later Glassjaw, Earth Crisis and minor threat

straightXed
12-14-2005, 06:01 AM
hmm... think it was good clean fun... first song I remember was On the streets saving the streets from the forces of evil. Later Glassjaw, Earth Crisis and minor threat

Glassjaw most definitely didnt fit in here.

Xdiscerner of liesX
12-15-2005, 04:05 PM
my first sXe band was definately AFI even tho i dont listen to them now, they were my first back in like 1999

xsecx
12-15-2005, 04:24 PM
my first sXe band was definately AFI even tho i dont listen to them now, they were my first back in like 1999

afi isn't a sxe band.

OneKingDown
12-15-2005, 10:47 PM
The first sxe band I heard was Snapacase and the song Zombie Prescription off a cassete sample for Victory Records (Hatebreed and Thumb were also on their) and that was quite awhile ago.

OneKingDown
12-15-2005, 10:48 PM
*Snapcase

xRodboi!x
12-19-2005, 01:19 PM
hmm... think it was good clean fun... first song I remember was On the streets saving the scene from the forces of evil. Later Glassjaw, Earth Crisis and minor threat
on the streets...:a good mockery of gorilla biscuits,i love both versions