PDA

View Full Version : Essential Albums

livithezombie
08-25-2005, 11:01 AM
Before i ask this question i gotta say i am not posing as being either edge or particularly hardcore so dont complain that i dont know enough about the scene to be part of this messageboard..... glad we got that straight then!
ok like i said hardcore is pretty new to me so does anyone wanna give me like a top 5 best hardcore albums ever or something cos i heard sop2c by refused and liked it so i thought i would ask.... anyway i'll shutup and let you answer now

xsecx
08-25-2005, 11:19 AM
Before i ask this question i gotta say i am not posing as being either edge or particularly hardcore so dont complain that i dont know enough about the scene to be part of this messageboard..... glad we got that straight then!
ok like i said hardcore is pretty new to me so does anyone wanna give me like a top 5 best hardcore albums ever or something cos i heard sop2c by refused and liked it so i thought i would ask.... anyway i'll shutup and let you answer now

considering you're wanting to learn, don't know why you'd think anyone would give you any grief.

I'd start by getting the following

Minor Threat- Complete Discography
Gorilla Biscuits - Start Today
Judge - Complete Discography

There are also a bunch of threads similar with lists of bands and records you should check out if you can.

livithezombie
08-25-2005, 11:24 AM
yeah i love 'screaming at a wall' and 'straight edge' by minor threat but they are the only ones i have heard - thanks for the recommendation though itll help.... anyone else?

flame_still_burns
08-25-2005, 11:54 AM
www.revhq.com

you should be able to find most of this stuff there.

carry on - a life less plagued

is really good, and newer

chain of strength - the one thing that still holds true

i like too.

have fun.

keithxXx
08-25-2005, 03:55 PM
xdeathstarx- the truimph
embrace today- we are the enemy
agnostic front- another voice
madball- legacy , the best of
100 demons

flame_still_burns
08-25-2005, 06:00 PM
xdeathstarx- the truimph
embrace today- we are the enemy
agnostic front- another voice
madball- legacy , the best of
100 demons

do you honestly think those records are essential for someone just getting into hardcore?

seriously, if that's what you like then that's fine. but those are far from records that have passed the test of time and could be called essential.

keithxXx
08-25-2005, 07:04 PM
do you honestly think those records are essential for someone just getting into hardcore?

seriously, if that's what you like then that's fine. but those are far from records that have passed the test of time and could be called essential.
yes

flame_still_burns
08-25-2005, 11:06 PM
i weep for the future.

kelly
08-25-2005, 11:33 PM
i weep for the future.
drama queen

xsecx
08-26-2005, 08:22 AM
yes

have you ever heard the early af? Why would you choose a newer album over victim in pain as essential? or a bunch of other stuff that doesn't even really sound like hardcore? The question wasn't stuff that's out now that you really like, it's essential albums. I doubt you'd find anyone that would agree that any of the records you listed were essential by any sense of the word.

livithezombie
08-26-2005, 11:19 AM
arguing doesnt help....... but thanx for the posts anyway!

XplagueX
08-26-2005, 05:04 PM
I dont have much to add but a good start id think would be
Good clean fun-positively positive its a good album that should keep you going for a while.

xdaddydaycorex
08-27-2005, 11:14 AM
to dustys list i would also add:

champion / count our numbers
ignite / call on my brothers
uniform choice / screaming for change

stepinsideissue
08-27-2005, 07:30 PM

Anything by Earthcrisis, Integrity, Snapcse, Atreyu, Dead To Fall, God Forbid, Strife, Face Value, Even Score, or Madball just as a little starter list.

keithxXx
08-27-2005, 09:25 PM
atreyu is not crucial

xsecx
08-27-2005, 09:33 PM
atreyu is not crucial

neither are xdeathstarx,embrace today, or 100 demons

xsecx
08-27-2005, 09:34 PM
Anything by Earthcrisis, Integrity, Snapcse, Atreyu, Dead To Fall, God Forbid, Strife, Face Value, Even Score, or Madball just as a little starter list.

I wouldn't consider any of those bands, except for maybe earth crisis and that's for impact more than anything, essential.

SgtD
08-28-2005, 03:54 AM
to dustys list i would also add:

champion / count our numbers

the first two EP-s were far better in my opinion

straightXed
08-28-2005, 06:59 AM
I wouldn't consider any of those bands, except for maybe earth crisis and that's for impact more than anything, essential.

I still quite like a bit of old exc.

Most of the essential older stuff has been mentioned, you might wanna check out youth of today as well, as for newer stuff check out Bridge9 (http://www.b9store.com/) i recomend blue monday. And check out rivalry records (http://www.rivalryrecords.com/releases.asp) i'm recomending go it alone, but theres lots of good records to be got at those sites.

stepinsideissue
08-28-2005, 10:50 AM
atreyu is not crucial

I agree but they are one of my more favorite new blood bands on the scene. Some of these kids that's all they've got. They aren't going to know or remember Minor Threat, Agnosit Front, Earthcrisis, Integrity and alot of the band that paved the way.

stepinsideissue
08-28-2005, 10:55 AM
I still quite like a bit of old exc.

Most of the essential older stuff has been mentioned, you might wanna check out youth of today as well, as for newer stuff check out Bridge9 (http://www.b9store.com/) i recomend blue monday. And check out rivalry records (http://www.rivalryrecords.com/releases.asp) i'm recomending go it alone, but theres lots of good records to be got at those sites.

I suck at posting links but also check out victoryrecords.com for newer and they still carry some of the older stuff.

xsecx
08-28-2005, 11:18 AM
I suck at posting links but also check out victoryrecords.com for newer and they still carry some of the older stuff.

what good stuff is victory putting out?

xsecx
08-28-2005, 11:19 AM
I agree but they are one of my more favorite new blood bands on the scene. Some of these kids that's all they've got. They aren't going to know or remember Minor Threat, Agnosit Front, Earthcrisis, Integrity and alot of the band that paved the way.

right, but that's why the topic is essential albums, not new stuff.

stepinsideissue
08-28-2005, 11:36 AM
what good stuff is victory putting out?

I never said they were putting out good stuff now a days just that you could still find some of the older/ good stuff there. Granted it's more of a metal/punk/ska Co. now but back in 89 - 90 when they started for us in middle america near Chicago they were the best we had to start with. If it hadn't been for a friend and Victory Records I probably would have never been intoduced to the NY hXc scene.

xsecx
08-28-2005, 11:49 AM
I never said they were putting out good stuff now a days just that you could still find some of the older/ good stuff there. Granted it's more of a metal/punk/ska Co. now but back in 89 - 90 when they started for us in middle america near Chicago they were the best we had to start with. If it hadn't been for a friend and Victory Records I probably would have never been intoduced to the NY hXc scene.

what older/good stuff? The vast majority of stuf that victory has ever put out is complete crap. Especially now, since all they want to do is cash in.

xdaddydaycorex
08-28-2005, 11:54 AM
the first two EP-s were far better in my opinion

unless you are counting the demo, count our numbers Is one of the first 2 EPs.
i like come out swinging alot but feel count our numbers is the most crucial and sound defining release yet. from start to finish count our numbers is pretty much a flawless release.

XvagueprophetX
08-28-2005, 12:32 PM
what older/good stuff? The vast majority of stuf that victory has ever put out is complete crap. Especially now, since all they want to do is cash in.
i know we already mentioned EC but shelter is victory as was A18 (which i think is pretty recent, if short lived, stuff). also on victory, and i know i'll probably get crap for this, is voodoo glow skulls who i dig a bunch, not at all essential but i thought i'd put it out there in the interest of full disclosure.

xsecx
08-28-2005, 12:42 PM
i know we already mentioned EC but shelter is victory as was A18 (which i think is pretty recent, if short lived, stuff). also on victory, and i know i'll probably get crap for this, is voodoo glow skulls who i dig a bunch, not at all essential but i thought i'd put it out there in the interest of full disclosure.

yeah, but I didn't say they didn't put out anything good. some stuff was, but most, like 90% now of stuff they have put out has been completely horrible.

SgtD
08-28-2005, 01:50 PM
unless you are counting the demo, count our numbers Is one of the first 2 EPs.
i like come out swinging alot but feel count our numbers is the most crucial and sound defining release yet. from start to finish count our numbers is pretty much a flawless release.
yeah, i confused count our numbers with promises kept. i got the time slips away cd, which has the come out swinging and the count our numbers eps. maybe that's why i got confused with it. i love that cd.

straightXed
08-28-2005, 04:01 PM

A18 is the only thing worth mentioning, shelter were only victory for one record out of a billion, to say they were anything you'd say they were equal vision.

flame_still_burns
08-28-2005, 10:11 PM
i'm in awe that someone mentioned face value.

being:

1. old
2. from ohio

i had to sit through more face value sets than should be allowed. i don't know if erba's jokes or his voice was worse. and the solos. no thanks. actually the first seven inch had it's moments, to be fair...downhill from there.

the turning point discography could be argued as essential. it has a lot of early material when they were a middle of the pack youth crew wanna be band, but they progressed into one of the most original sounding and best songwritten hardcore ever.

livithezombie
08-29-2005, 04:56 AM
i hate atreyu is hardcore all like that?

flame_still_burns
08-29-2005, 06:48 AM
i hate atreyu is hardcore all like that?

negative.

that shit isn't even hardcore.

stepinsideissue
08-29-2005, 08:59 AM

With all do respect this is all a matter of opinion. I know you don't care for Earthcrisis or Victory and thats cool and fine but I do ( Except Slither ) and other people may. The question was esential albums in your opinion and in my opinion those were some of the bands that got me interested, I didn't say they were the best, the worst just FOR ME they were esential.

As for now Bloodlet, Dead To Fall , and Voodoo Glow Skulls to name a few aren't bad again in my opinion yeah they may not be hXc or real hXc but the don't exactly suck. Brittney Spears, Vanilla Ice goes rap-metal, Boy bands, and hookers now that stuff sucks.

In my opinion.

xsecx
08-29-2005, 09:11 AM
With all do respect this is all a matter of opinion. I know you don't care for Earthcrisis or Victory and thats cool and fine but I do ( Except Slither ) and other people may. The question was esential albums in your opinion and in my opinion those were some of the bands that got me interested, I didn't say they were the best, the worst just FOR ME they were esential.

As for now Bloodlet, Dead To Fall , and Voodoo Glow Skulls to name a few aren't bad again in my opinion yeah they may not be hXc or real hXc but the don't exactly suck. Brittney Spears, Vanilla Ice goes rap-metal, Boy bands, and hookers now that stuff sucks.

In my opinion.

Yeah, but when you're talking about essential it tends to expand outside personal taste and becomes that of genre defining. That's the point, the question at hand isn't things you really like, but what you would suggest to someone just getting into hardcore to listen to. Like for instance personally, I don't like AF or the cro mags, but I would agree that both Victim in Pain and Age of Quarrel are essential hardcore records.

livithezombie
08-29-2005, 09:12 AM
hxc means hardcore right?

xsecx
08-29-2005, 09:16 AM
hxc means hardcore right?

yeah. it's a standard abbreviation.

livithezombie
08-29-2005, 09:24 AM
bangin

stepinsideissue
08-29-2005, 10:18 AM
Yeah, but when you're talking about essential it tends to expand outside personal taste and becomes that of genre defining. That's the point, the question at hand isn't things you really like, but what you would suggest to someone just getting into hardcore to listen to. Like for instance personally, I don't like AF or the cro mags, but I would agree that both Victim in Pain and Age of Quarrel are essential hardcore records.

So are we talking essential as they started the scene and paved the way for other bands, essential as in thier music best dipics what sXe and the hXc movement is all about. Also I don't recall putting " really like" in anywhere. I really like KORN, Killswitchengage, POD, Unearth, and the Deftones. I didn't put them in the list but I really like them. ( Oh wait they're metal )

xsecx
08-29-2005, 10:22 AM
So are we talking essential as they started the scene and paved the way for other bands, essential as in thier music best dipics what sXe and the hXc movement is all about. Also I don't recall putting " really like" in anywhere. I really like KORN, Killswitchengage, POD, Unearth, and the Deftones. I didn't put them in the list but I really like them. ( Oh wait they're metal )

how are most of these bands essential? "Anything by Earthcrisis, Integrity, Snapcse, Atreyu, Dead To Fall, God Forbid, Strife, Face Value, Even Score, or Madball just as a little starter list."

The only one that I wouldn't argue would be EC, but how are any of the rest essential?

stepinsideissue
08-29-2005, 10:47 AM
how are most of these bands essential? "Anything by Earthcrisis, Integrity, Snapcse, Atreyu, Dead To Fall, God Forbid, Strife, Face Value, Even Score, or Madball just as a little starter list."

The only one that I wouldn't argue would be EC, but how are any of the rest essential?

That is why I asked the above question. Obviously the newer ones didn't have to do with this much but if it wasn't for a friend, Victory, Earthcrisis, Snapcse, Integrity, Even Score, Face Value that I probably wouldn't know Agnostic Front, Minor Threat, the rest of the above the above list the cromags the local kids that tear it up at shows sXe, hxc , CxC or anyof that. I wouldn't be here now I'd be in bed hung over and not talking to you awsome cats. AGAIN it was all essential for MY involvement not the movement and was mearly SUGGESTED listening material.

xsecx
08-29-2005, 10:53 AM
That is why I asked the above question. Obviously the newer ones didn't have to do with this much but if it wasn't for a friend, Victory, Earthcrisis, Snapcse, Integrity, Even Score, Face Value that I probably wouldn't know Agnostic Front, Minor Threat, the rest of the above the above list the cromags the local kids that tear it up at shows sXe, hxc , CxC or anyof that. I wouldn't be here now I'd be in bed hung over and not talking to you awsome cats. AGAIN it was all essential for MY involvement not the movement and was mearly SUGGESTED listening material.

yeah, but they're not essential to hardcore itself. That's the whole point. None of those bands made any sort of major impact towards hardcore as a whole at all.

stepinsideissue
08-29-2005, 11:01 AM
yeah, but they're not essential to hardcore itself. That's the whole point. None of those bands made any sort of major impact towards hardcore as a whole at all.

Then with the exception of Earthcrisis I retract all suggestions and statements.

livithezombie
08-29-2005, 02:28 PM
what the fuck is cxc?

flame_still_burns
08-29-2005, 02:35 PM
what the fuck is cxc?

creedence X clearwater

(or courage x crew)

livithezombie
08-29-2005, 02:37 PM
that means nothing to me (god bless my ignorance!)

Negative K
08-29-2005, 07:28 PM
ill take the billingsgate ep over the face value ep

neither are essential.

loads of essential hc releases really... for someone new to hc:

Dischord: the 1st year

good starting point for essential USHC

livithezombie
08-30-2005, 06:01 AM
im surprised nobodys mentioned black flag, well i dont actually know them but arent they supposed to be the most important hardcore band ever

xsecx
08-30-2005, 07:17 AM
im surprised nobodys mentioned black flag, well i dont actually know them but arent they supposed to be the most important hardcore band ever

black flag is like bad brains. everyone already knows the name so i don't think anyone even thought about it.

livithezombie
08-31-2005, 01:47 PM
but are they worth noticing?

xsecx
08-31-2005, 01:55 PM
but are they worth noticing?

yeah they are.

IAN
09-07-2005, 05:55 AM
To me most essential album is Minor Threat "Complete discography"

XAngry CodgerX
09-19-2005, 09:50 PM
How about a band from every scene that defined the era for them?

7 Seconds - Reno, my hometown, although I am not a big fan.

DYS, SSD, Impact Unit, Negative FX (then Slapshot) and Gang Green for Boston

Agnostic Front and Cro-Mags, early, then YOT and Judge later. Sheer Terror was also really good.

San Francisco - Verbal Abuse, they rule and still tour!!!

Cleveland - Face Value and Integrity (Those Who Fear Tomorrow) is absolutely essential, as it paved the way for metalcore today.

And although I guess you probably wouldn't consider this hardcore, SOD and MOD for their influential sound on all the hardcore biters today. March of the SOD has been ripped off for almost 20 years.

flame_still_burns
09-19-2005, 10:12 PM
How about a band from every scene that defined the era for them?

7 Seconds - Reno, my hometown, although I am not a big fan.

DYS, SSD, Impact Unit, Negative FX (then Slapshot) and Gang Green for Boston

Agnostic Front and Cro-Mags, early, then YOT and Judge later. Sheer Terror was also really good.

San Francisco - Verbal Abuse, they rule and still tour!!!

Cleveland - Face Value and Integrity (Those Who Fear Tomorrow) is absolutely essential, as it paved the way for metalcore today.

And although I guess you probably wouldn't consider this hardcore, SOD and MOD for their influential sound on all the hardcore biters today. March of the SOD has been ripped off for almost 20 years.

if 7 seconds had hung it up in the mid/late 80's they'd be so much more revered today.

DYS/SS Decontrol i'll buy. impact unit would be forgotten if dickie barrett wasn't in it. i don't see negative fx or gang green as being essential.

face value? 7 inch was good. they turned to absolute shit after that. i will agree that hose who fear tommorow is essential... that record fucking rules.

your NYC picks were right on... although i'd stop at victim in pain and age of quarrell for AF and the cro-mags.