PDA

View Full Version : you give straightedge a bad name

drughate_vegan
08-20-2005, 12:21 PM
there is a progressive way and there is a conservative way to do things - not so easy as black and white - but for practical uses, this is what i have to say. do you care about the sXe movement? and if so, what does that movement mean to you? this isn't about me - drughate_vegan - who has been shunned as a non-edger -- that's fine -- it doesn't matter what you call me. that's not what this is about. it's about you, as an individual.
i understand that the music and subculture is the heart of straightedge - cool.
but, let's take a look beyond that world for just second - can you? there are other people in this world who do not do drugs of any kind (and are not claimed edgers), and they do not secumb to the pressures of promiscuous / premarital sex (as some "edgers" believe is approprite for the claim), and they do other things in life to help the world make it a little better - of course that is circumstantial and fine and dandy. if that, or those, people come to this board and start asking questions about this and that - what it means to be edge or not - that's simple and good -- and if they feel like they are not welcome because they don't hold this "appropriate" label of straightedge.. they most likely feel like they aren't welcome here. and if they feel unwelcome - they probably also don't feel like spreading the word about straightedge and how the movement started and how it should progress for the better of humanity - and that there are other people in this world that think that drugs and drinking, and "sex" are a waste of time - then wouldn't you want them to be introduced and comfortable with the straightedge life? a lot of you here bash people for their ignorance and treat them like they are nothing, unless they are everything.. and that is the progression of down-fall and a segregation in society. is that what you want? - to deprive the movement? it seems like it's all about the music - well, i'm sure the guys in minor threat were actually sxe before they SANGabout it.. so, maybe you can be edge without music.. or at least accepted amongst it. no?

xsecx
08-20-2005, 12:56 PM
there is a progressive way and there is a conservative way to do things - not so easy as black and white - but for practical uses, this is what i have to say. do you care about the sXe movement? and if so, what does that movement mean to you? this isn't about me - drughate_vegan - who has been shunned as a non-edger -- that's fine -- it doesn't matter what you call me. that's not what this is about. it's about you, as an individual. i understand that the music and subculture is the heart of straightedge - cool.

if you did, then why are you so hung up on talking about it, including this post to try and talk about how it shouldn't be?

but, let's take a look beyond that world for just second - can you? there are other people in this world who do not do drugs of any kind (and are not claimed edgers), and they do not secumb to the pressures of promiscuous / premarital sex (as some "edgers" believe is approprite for the claim), and they do other things in life to help the world make it a little better - of course that is circumstantial and fine and dandy. if that, or those, people come to this board and start asking questions about this and that - what it means to be edge or not - that's simple and good -- and if they feel like they are not welcome because they don't hold this "appropriate" label of straightedge.. they most likely feel like they aren't welcome here. and if they feel unwelcome - they probably also don't feel like spreading the word about straightedge and how the movement started and how it should progress for the better of humanity - and that there are other people in this world that think that drugs and drinking, and "sex" are a waste of time - then wouldn't you want them to be introduced and comfortable with the straightedge life? a lot of you here bash people for their ignorance and treat them like they are nothing, unless they are everything.. and that is the progression of down-fall and a segregation in society. is that what you want? - to deprive the movement? it seems like it's all about the music - well, i'm sure the guys in minor threat were actually sxe before they SANGabout it.. so, maybe you can be edge without music.. or at least accepted amongst it. no?

So let's get this straight. this site is about straight edge, but shouldn't actually be about straight edge and shouldn't correct people like yourself with misconceptions? I also don't see how anyone asking questions here are treated with anything but respect. The only people who are treated differently, are people like yourself who are mistaken about what straight edge is and then makes an attempt to argue about a subject they are largely ignorant about.

O_o
08-20-2005, 03:20 PM
visit the toefur board. you'll be an admin in no time.

keithxXx
08-21-2005, 02:19 AM
i dont see y u dont accept the fact that you are not edge without the music. and you are not going to change that

drughate_vegan
08-21-2005, 09:38 AM
what i am talking about - and the main and only focus i want to get across with this post - is that you don't have to be edge to be accepted and befriended by edge people. and if you disagree - then you are severely holding back what could be a beautiful movement. i'm not asking you to seek out drug-using friends - or anything. i am asking you folks to calm the fuck down and listen to other people points of views with an open mind and heart. i don't care how much of hippy-spill that sounds like - it makes sense that in order to spread the word of edge (or any radical change) is to first accept everyone as they are and not be judgemental, prejudiced, or any discriminatory face. it doesn't matter if you think i am edge or not - i don't care about your label for me - what i do care about is that people who might think they know this or that or just simply want to know what it means to be edge - have the comfort and opportunity to ask "stupid" questions, make "stupid" remarks without being treated like they are stupid. i'm sure plently of you don't know alot about every topic that can be talked about - but if you thought you knew something about an idea that seemed appealing to you - very appealing - then you talk to other's within that group of that topic and they treated others they way that you treat some of the people on here - - being brutal and hateful - then that portion of you - which seemed to have a new and exciting enlightening - would possibly either die out - or supress and become anger - or become sadness, hopeless, lifeless..
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TREAT IGNORANCE WITH AN IRON FIST. . you can simply embrace and talk... can't you?

xsecx
08-21-2005, 09:57 AM
what i am talking about - and the main and only focus i want to get across with this post - is that you don't have to be edge to be accepted and befriended by edge people. and if you disagree - then you are severely holding back what could be a beautiful movement. i'm not asking you to seek out drug-using friends - or anything. i am asking you folks to calm the fuck down and listen to other people points of views with an open mind and heart. i don't care how much of hippy-spill that sounds like - it makes sense that in order to spread the word of edge (or any radical change) is to first accept everyone as they are and not be judgemental, prejudiced, or any discriminatory face. it doesn't matter if you think i am edge or not - i don't care about your label for me - what i do care about is that people who might think they know this or that or just simply want to know what it means to be edge - have the comfort and opportunity to ask "stupid" questions, make "stupid" remarks without being treated like they are stupid. i'm sure plently of you don't know alot about every topic that can be talked about - but if you thought you knew something about an idea that seemed appealing to you - very appealing - then you talk to other's within that group of that topic and they treated others they way that you treat some of the people on here - - being brutal and hateful - then that portion of you - which seemed to have a new and exciting enlightening - would possibly either die out - or supress and become anger - or become sadness, hopeless, lifeless..
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TREAT IGNORANCE WITH AN IRON FIST. . you can simply embrace and talk... can't you?

you like making generalizations. You also seem to be a bit caught up on the fact that YOU, not anyone else, but YOU got the treatment you recieved based entirely on the attitude you brought here with you. People come here and ask question all the time and are answered in an appropriate way. If someone comes with a genuine question, they'll get a genuine answer. If, like you, they come in with no knowledge of the subject and begin talking about it as if they as an authority then they recieve the same kind of treatment you recieved. You didn't come here asking question. You came here making incorrect statements and were corrected. Even now, you have no desire to actually find out and discuss what straight edge actually is.

drughate_vegan
08-21-2005, 10:20 AM
you like making generalizations. You also seem to be a bit caught up on the fact that YOU, not anyone else, but YOU got the treatment you recieved based entirely on the attitude you brought here with you. People come here and ask question all the time and are answered in an appropriate way. If someone comes with a genuine question, they'll get a genuine answer. If, like you, they come in with no knowledge of the subject and begin talking about it as if they as an authority then they recieve the same kind of treatment you recieved. You didn't come here asking question. You came here making incorrect statements and were corrected. Even now, you have no desire to actually find out and discuss what straight edge actually is.
this is about the attitude you give people, xsecx.
for example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drughate_vegan
i know.

Originally Posted by xsecx
if you actually did, there wouldn't be a problem, but given your bullshit, I'd surprised you didn't spout some crap about how you can't know. you can't even be consistent with your own bullshit.
http://www.sxe.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2774&page=4

you're bitterness and narrow view prohibit you to grow as an individual.
change is inevitable - you might consider embracing it.

xsecx
08-21-2005, 10:45 AM
for example:
Quote:
i know.

if you actually did, there wouldn't be a problem, but given your bullshit, I'd surprised you didn't spout some crap about how you can't know. you can't even be consistent with your own bullshit.

again, the example you provided is you. If you're going to make grand statements, you should at least find a situation that isn't about you, huh? Now, what provoked that reaction? Clearly, it must be someone else's behavior that's the problem and not your own, right? I don't see how I'm bitter or narrow minded. You came here making incorrect statements about a subject you're completely ignorant about. Now why exactly should I have listened to or entertained your incorrect thoughts?

straightXed
08-21-2005, 03:12 PM
for example:
Quote:
i know.

Sounds like a deserved response to the type of posts you make, perhaps you should embrace thinking before typing.

drughate_vegan
08-24-2005, 03:04 AM
again, the example you provided is you. If you're going to make grand statements, you should at least find a situation that isn't about you, huh? Now, what provoked that reaction? Clearly, it must be someone else's behavior that's the problem and not your own, right? I don't see how I'm bitter or narrow minded. You came here making incorrect statements about a subject you're completely ignorant about. Now why exactly should I have listened to or entertained your incorrect thoughts?
so, tell me what i don't know, please.

drughate_vegan
08-24-2005, 03:05 AM
Sounds like a deserved response to the type of posts you make, perhaps you should embrace thinking before typing.
noone deserves to be treated bad when they have nothing but good intentions.

straightXed
08-24-2005, 06:34 AM
noone deserves to be treated bad when they have nothing but good intentions.

I don't think you were treated bad

xsecx
08-24-2005, 08:35 AM
so, tell me what i don't know, please.

well i have, and then you didn't like it.

xdaddydaycorex
08-24-2005, 12:38 PM
so, maybe you can be edge without music..

no, no you can't.

or at least accepted amongst it. no?

accepted as what? someone who dosent like hardcore? why should straightedge accept someone as their own if they don't like the music? this is so old.....drug free does not sxe make. Hardcore music And being Drug Free is what it's All about...PERIOD!

Digthehole
08-26-2005, 10:17 PM
Please stop calling Straight Edge a movement. Thats right up there with calling it a cult. Almost equally absurd.

xsecx
08-26-2005, 10:19 PM
Please stop calling Straight Edge a movement. Thats right up there with calling it a cult. Almost equally absurd.

How is straight edge not a movement?

drughate_vegan
09-04-2005, 01:05 AM
How is straight edge not a movement?
good question

stepinsideissue
09-21-2005, 02:13 AM
good question

Have you figured out an anwser yet?

drughate_vegan
09-21-2005, 10:50 PM
Have you figured out an anwser yet?
straight edge is a movement...

stepinsideissue
09-22-2005, 12:16 AM
straight edge is a movement...

Alright we're finally getting some where. We'll have you a lean mean windmilling machine before you know it.

drughate_vegan
09-22-2005, 01:25 AM
Alright we're finally getting some where. We'll have you a lean mean windmilling machine before you know it.
haha -- that's a damn funny dance. so is "picking up change"