PDA

View Full Version : surgery

*purely-jill*
07-23-2005, 09:54 AM
so, i was wondering about something, and i would like some fellow edger input. my mother is going into surgery next month for her hip (she's not a geezer!), and it's pretty serious. it's very similar to a hip replacement, but the parts used on the hip are different. the doctors plan on placing her on morphine immediately after the procedure for a few days and then probably keeping her heavily medicated on some crazy narcotic pain killers (you know how that goes!). well, there's a pretty good chance i may need this same surgery, a lot sooner then she needed it (she's 47), because i am showing very similar symptoms except about 15 years EARLIER then she did. if and when i do ever need to have something like this done, i found myself questioning what would happen as far as the drugs go? i WOULD NOT want to be in some wacked out state if it can be avoided, i know that! so i was wondering what all you guys' input is on a situation like that? has anyone here ever gone through an operation while edge? how did you handle it? i would love to hear back with any of your opinions or experiences! thanks everybody!

Notoday
07-23-2005, 10:12 AM
I think that's one of those personal decisions... I definately wouldn't want to be as high as a kite but hip surgery would hurt I can imagine. Obviously you'll go under for the actual operation but after that why not have the meds, but only take them when you can't take the pain anymore. Try to balance it out?

O_o
07-23-2005, 10:25 AM
Silly me. I always thought straight edge was about recreational drug use.

XmassacreX
07-23-2005, 10:28 AM
so, i was wondering about something, and i would like some fellow edger input. my mother is going into surgery next month for her hip (she's not a geezer!), and it's pretty serious. it's very similar to a hip replacement, but the parts used on the hip are different. the doctors plan on placing her on morphine immediately after the procedure for a few days and then probably keeping her heavily medicated on some crazy narcotic pain killers (you know how that goes!). well, there's a pretty good chance i may need this same surgery, a lot sooner then she needed it (she's 47), because i am showing very similar symptoms except about 15 years EARLIER then she did. if and when i do ever need to have something like this done, i found myself questioning what would happen as far as the drugs go? i WOULD NOT want to be in some wacked out state if it can be avoided, i know that! so i was wondering what all you guys' input is on a situation like that? has anyone here ever gone through an operation while edge? how did you handle it? i would love to hear back with any of your opinions or experiences! thanks everybody!
What kind of disease process is this. I ask because I am a Licensed Physical Therapist in the State of NC/VA and was curious. As far as pain relievers, morphine, Lortab, etc. it is a personal decision. If you are in so much pain that you can't bear it....take something. I choose not to, unless doctors orders...say if I had to go under for surgery. But wisdom teeth...NO PROBLEM. My two cents.

xsecx
07-23-2005, 12:21 PM
unless you're planning on abusing stuff, I don't see why this would even be an issue.

*purely-jill*
07-23-2005, 12:27 PM
Silly me. I always thought straight edge was about recreational drug use.

well to me it's also about not taking the easy way out. some people who are addicted to vicodin and pain drugs didn't start using recreationally. it starts out because of "back pain" or some other thing that i feel can sometimes be dealt with otherwise. i'm not suggesting that i fear becoming an addict because of an operation, i just feel that if you can tolerate it, you should try to be strong. plus, when i was about 12, i was prescribed some sort of narcotic drug for oral surgery. it took them quite a long time to convince me to take it (i wasn't claiming edge or anything, i just didn't want it), and i cryed the whole time it effected me. i couldn't stand the feeling of not being clear-headed or not in control. and i personally never want to feel that way again if i can avoid it.

xsecx
07-23-2005, 12:30 PM
well to me it's also about not taking the easy way out. some people who are addicted to vicodin and pain drugs didn't start using recreationally. it starts out because of "back pain" or some other thing that i feel can sometimes be dealt with otherwise. i'm not suggesting that i fear becoming an addict because of an operation, i just feel that if you can tolerate it, you should try to be strong. plus, when i was about 12, i was prescribed some sort of narcotic drug for oral surgery. it took them quite a long time to convince me to take it (i wasn't claiming edge or anything, i just didn't want it), and i cryed the whole time it effected me. i couldn't stand the feeling of not being clear-headed or not in control. and i personally never want to feel that way again if i can avoid it.

people who tend to become addicted to pain killers are already addicts of other things. there are also painkillers that are given to addicts that aren't habit forming. The best thing to do is that when/if the situation arises is to talk to your doctor about your concerns and make your decision based on the facts put in front of you and not some arbitrary morality that doesn't apply to the situation.

*purely-jill*
07-26-2005, 06:39 PM
to answer your question XmassacreX:
the operation she is having is a 'total hip arthroplasty'. her doctors have said the cartilidge around her hip bone is quickly deteriating. they think that it's possibly caused by a shallow hip joint, that causes her hip to "pop out", so to say, quite often. they also believe that it's very possible that the "shallow hip defect" was passed to me. freakin' genetics!! = ) hope that answers your questions.

hardcorekid3002
07-29-2005, 04:44 PM
i had that same question. thank you for asking it before i did. i dont have to have surgry anytime soon... i was just courious.

FistsUp
08-16-2005, 12:07 PM
if you need it for a seriouse medical reason then you need it nothing you can do but if it is something you can go with out then dont use it.

Zombie13
08-17-2005, 03:22 PM
My 50 year-old mother has Rheumatoid Arthritis and she has two metal hip's and she hasdhat injection in the back thing (sorry i can't remember what it's called) She was on morphine but she wan't totally off her head while she was recovering....