PDA

View Full Version : Research in the process

polkadotfun
07-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Hi, I'm currently doing some research on the straight edge subculture and I'm trying to get some input on the varying subgroups that straight edge has, aside from vegan, and christian. If you don't mind I'd like to get some input on these just a brief description I will be able to do the follow up indepth research I just want to make sure to include as many subgroups as I possibly can!

Thanks!

xsecx
07-14-2005, 09:33 PM
Hi, I'm currently doing some research on the straight edge subculture and I'm trying to get some input on the varying subgroups that straight edge has, aside from vegan, and christian. If you don't mind I'd like to get some input on these just a brief description I will be able to do the follow up indepth research I just want to make sure to include as many subgroups as I possibly can!

Thanks!

it doesn't have any subgroups.

polkadotfun
07-14-2005, 09:37 PM
well as I appreciate your input, other information and research contradicts that opinion. I'm just trying to make sure I adquately rearch my topic, but thanks for your response.

xsecx
07-14-2005, 09:42 PM
well as I appreciate your input, other information and research contradicts that opinion. I'm just trying to make sure I adquately rearch my topic, but thanks for your response.

Your question doesn't make sense, and is incorrect, not my opinion. . People claim to be vegan edge or edge for christ or anything else they want to put edge next to doesn't make subgroups. It means people have arbirarily decided to try and combine 2 things that are completely unrelated. Straight edge is a subgroup of hardcore. There simply aren't any subgroups within it. The only one that could have been included would be hardline, but that doesn't exist anymore.

polkadotfun
07-14-2005, 09:48 PM
That is the idea I am getting at, when there are other parts of social influence/groups etc that have merged within the straight edge subculture. Maybe it was poorly written, but what I'm trying to get at is other outside subculture ideas which last time I checked vegan and christianity is considered a subculture in the USA hence the subgrouping title. I may be using the wrong terminology in your opninion but in the field in which this is being studied and used in my thesis I'm trying to make sure I write something that adquately credits the group itself, however, if you don't want me to ask this question I'll gladly delete this post and choose alternative means for my research.

xsecx
07-14-2005, 09:53 PM
That is the idea I am getting at, when there are other parts of social influence/groups etc that have merged within the straight edge subculture. Maybe it was poorly written, but what I'm trying to get at is other outside subculture ideas which last time I checked vegan and christianity is considered a subculture in the USA hence the subgrouping title. I may be using the wrong terminology in your opninion but in the field in which this is being studied and used in my thesis I'm trying to make sure I write something that adquately credits the group itself, however, if you don't want me to ask this question I'll gladly delete this post and choose alternative means for my research.

Christianity isn't considered a subculture in any field in the US, considering it's apart of the dominant culture. At this point, I don't even understand what you're trying to ask and I'm not completely sure you do either. People can be apart of more than one subculture, but that in and of itself does not make those 2 subcultures linked.

polkadotfun
07-14-2005, 10:00 PM
I'm not sure why what I am asking has rubbed you the wrong way, but in sociology any religion regardless if it is of the majority or miniority, is considered a subculture because not all people adhere to it, in essence under the teachings i've had subcultures exist in almost all shapes, types etc.

If you are having such a problem with what I am doing I am sorry. It is not meant to be rude, or defame straight edge, there is very poorly done research on the topic if you ever want to check it out go to your local library most scholarly work is very poorly done and I'm trying to improve that with this thesis. I was also recommended from other straightedgers to come to this forum to get feedback , but it seems that for whatever said reason my question is really irritating you.
It was also unneccessary to rudely snap at me for what I am asking "since I don't even know what I'm asking". I'd only hope that after finishing 2 graduate years of college and being published I'd have an idea of what I'm talking about, given that you also do not know what my general thesis topic is about which is studying the evolution of straight edge as a subculture in the US, I would like to see the subculture represented correctly in scholarly research, I guess you don't want to be a part of that.

I'll just use alternative means for my research, thank you for you input.

xsecx
07-14-2005, 10:07 PM
I'm not sure why what I am asking has rubbed you the wrong way, but in sociology any religion regardless if it is of the majority or miniority, is considered a subculture because not all people adhere to it, in essence under the teachings i've had subcultures exist in almost all shapes, types etc.

for there to be a subculture, there has to be a culture to begin with. To call christianity a subculture in a judeo-christian society simply makes no sense and doesn't fit the definition of what a subculture is.

If you are having such a problem with what I am doing I am sorry. It is not meant to be rude, or defame straight edge, there is very poorly done research on the topic if you ever want to check it out go to your local library most scholarly work is very poorly done and I'm trying to improve that with this thesis. I was also recommended from other straightedgers to come to this forum to get feedback , but it seems that for whatever said reason my question is really irritating you.
It was also unneccessary to rudely snap at me for what I am asking "since I don't even know what I'm asking". I'd only hope that after finishing 2 graduate years of college and being published I'd have an idea of what I'm talking about, given that you also do not know what my general thesis topic is about which is studying the evolution of straight edge as a subculture in the US, I would like to see the subculture represented correctly in scholarly research, I guess you don't want to be a part of that.

I'll just use alternative means for my research, thank you for you input.

I don't quite understand your attitude about this or why you think I'm having such a problem because I disagreed with you and questioned you because what you said didn't make any sense. I also don't see how I rudely snapped at anyone, especially since you're the one that attempted to be dismissive of me when I answered your question, you just simply didn't like the answer.

polkadotfun
07-14-2005, 10:18 PM
Ok it seems that I have gotten off on the wrong foot with you. I just simply disagree with you.

I don't know if the way you speak, since it's a given I do not know you comes off like the way you write, but your responses seem to be a bit short and with a bit attitude, which you're entitled to. Secondly, it's totally fine that you disagree, I don't expect the masses of people to even agree with one thing I think let alone a bunch of things, but I can't agree w/your method of thinking either since it's contradicts what I've learned and believe about subcultures. See, you're looking at religion as a majority in your response to another religon which would in your idea make a smaller group (religion) as a subculture, whereas the school of thought I've been taught and that I practice looks at the USA as a culture, and the general idea of religion as part of that main culture, so christianity etc religions are subcultures. I really do feel that you will disagree with that lineage of my thinking, but that is the progression of subcultures in the teachings I believe in, not saying you have to think that way and it's great you don't that is what makes people different, but for the framework of my thesis that is how subcultures are being looked at. It is unfair to type one religion as major as you put it, in my opinion, to me religion as a general idea is a culture and the many religions are subcultures, like music lovers are a culture and there many types rock, pop for example and rock being a large subculture made many small subcultures, like hardcore, punk, emo, etc the list could go on and on. I don't know if this clarifies what I intended by my terminology of subculture, but I do hope it does.

Also, not that you know me, but I'm not dismissive and I do apologize if I came across like that, I'm very intrigued by the socialization process but I do not agree with your ideas of subcultures, and I did say I appreciated your input it is something I can use in the future when I interview straightedge people in the next month for my interview portion of my thesis.
Sorry for the poor grammar and sentence wording I'm on a new laptop and somehow I keep deleteing parts of my sentences because of the stupid mouse, hence why I edited.

xsecx
07-15-2005, 09:09 AM
Ok it seems that I have gotten off on the wrong foot with you. I just simply disagree with you.

I don't know if the way you speak, since it's a given I do not know you comes off like the way you write, but your responses seem to be a bit short and with a bit attitude, which you're entitled to. Secondly, it's totally fine that you disagree, I don't expect the masses of people to even agree with one thing I think let alone a bunch of things, but I can't agree w/your method of thinking either since it's contradicts what I've learned and believe about subcultures. See, you're looking at religion as a majority in your response to another religon which would in your idea make a smaller group (religion) as a subculture, whereas the school of thought I've been taught and that I practice looks at the USA as a culture, and the general idea of religion as part of that main culture, so christianity etc religions are subcultures. I really do feel that you will disagree with that lineage of my thinking, but that is the progression of subcultures in the teachings I believe in, not saying you have to think that way and it's great you don't that is what makes people different, but for the framework of my thesis that is how subcultures are being looked at. It is unfair to type one religion as major as you put it, in my opinion, to me religion as a general idea is a culture and the many religions are subcultures, like music lovers are a culture and there many types rock, pop for example and rock being a large subculture made many small subcultures, like hardcore, punk, emo, etc the list could go on and on. I don't know if this clarifies what I intended by my terminology of subculture, but I do hope it does.

When you look at the USA as a culture, it's impossible not to include christianty as apart of that culture, because regardless of whatever religion anyone in this country might practice, christianty still impacts them. Would you consider Islam in Iran a subculture? Christianty in america simply doesn't fit the definition of what makes up a subculture. Other religions in america however would. You're somehow trying to create a title of culture without having any distinguishing characteristics for it. Culture is dominant. Culture is mainstream. In america, christianity is dominant, and christianity is mainstream.
It simply doesn't make sense to try and look at straight edge as a subculture, in the way you're trying to. I'd suggest reading some stuff from David Riesman and this book by Dick Hebdige.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0415039495/qid=1121436089/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-3368776-2496839?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

coldfrenchfries
07-15-2005, 02:31 PM

Thanks!
At least someone is doing research before they start to make us look bad on TV.

polkadotfun
07-16-2005, 03:29 AM
Yeah that is my intended goal since it is for my thesis and it's not examining any particular part of straight edge just the culture itself, it's more or less a sociological-focused ethnographic study which tries to gather all the different parts of a culture and put it into a sort of guide, or in my case, my ticket out of graduate studies for a year! It should be good, i'm hoping to publish it and then use what I write to write an ethnographic straight edge book so there is good well rounded information on the subculture.

polkadotfun
07-16-2005, 03:32 AM
When you look at the USA as a culture, it's impossible not to include christianty as apart of that culture, because regardless of whatever religion anyone in this country might practice, christianty still impacts them. Would you consider Islam in Iran a subculture? Christianty in america simply doesn't fit the definition of what makes up a subculture. Other religions in america however would. You're somehow trying to create a title of culture without having any distinguishing characteristics for it. Culture is dominant. Culture is mainstream. In america, christianity is dominant, and christianity is mainstream.
It simply doesn't make sense to try and look at straight edge as a subculture, in the way you're trying to. I'd suggest reading some stuff from David Riesman and this book by Dick Hebdige.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0415039495/qid=1121436089/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-3368776-2496839?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

thanks for the link I'll look into it, I still view the lineage of cultures differently but I can understand why you may see it that way, but although you feel the way I'm examing this particular subculture doesn't suit your taste given the procedure and the work I am doing is going a certain direction, this is the belief I hold, which i assure you the end result will probably be similar to your views it's just hard to explain a thought that hasn't yet been written into the data.

for all i know it (my research question) could morph and change again, but I surely hope not this is my third month of straight research.

xsecx
07-16-2005, 07:49 AM
thanks for the link I'll look into it, I still view the lineage of cultures differently but I can understand why you may see it that way, but although you feel the way I'm examing this particular subculture doesn't suit your taste given the procedure and the work I am doing is going a certain direction, this is the belief I hold, which i assure you the end result will probably be similar to your views it's just hard to explain a thought that hasn't yet been written into the data.

for all i know it (my research question) could morph and change again, but I surely hope not this is my third month of straight research.

that's mostly because I can't imagine the point of examing straight edge without examing the culture it came from and why. Straight edge didn't come from a vacuum, so looking at it or any subculture without looking at the culture around it doesn't make sense.