PDA

View Full Version : query.

HazardousGUM
03-23-2005, 10:18 AM
My query is, how is using prescriptions, such as ritalin, looked upon from the straight edge point of view? Also I'm thinking of switching from a "moderationist" over to Straight Edge, I currently drink somewhere around once a month, but have been thinking of giving that up entirely (there just don't seem to be any real benefits). I can't think of any other drugs I take, aside from the afore mentioned ritalin (taken before classes and before starting homework) and possibly the Caffine contained in thin-mints (which are gone now so there isn't any worry there.) Unfortunately, I don't trust myself for the long run, so I doubt that I would be Straight Edge for life, which makes me question "Should I even call myself Straight Edge with that attitude?" Additionally it mentioned in the sites front page that to be truly straight edge you need to experience and be a part of the hardcore scene, which I, unfortunately, am not at all connected to (it comes partially from reclusive tendencies.) I had in the past attempted to be straight edge, but was lacking in information, gaining what little I knew from Minor Threat lyrics, tidbits of knowledge from a friend (who was only marginally more connected to hardcore than myself), and the fact that the Teen Idles drank milk (there were very few other lyrics that I could actually discern at the time.) The attempt promptly ended on my 21st birthday, but now that I've had my taste of drinking legally (responsibly and otherwise) I am seriously reconsidering straight edge. Though if I start again I do wish to be better informed about what it means and implies. Additionally I would prefer that if I were to "label" myself straight edge, I be involved, at least a little bit, in a hardcore/straight edge community.

Love,
GUM.

straightXed
03-23-2005, 10:52 AM
My query is, how is using prescriptions, such as ritalin, looked upon from the straight edge point of view? Also I'm thinking of switching from a "moderationist" over to Straight Edge, I currently drink somewhere around once a month, but have been thinking of giving that up entirely (there just don't seem to be any real benefits). I can't think of any other drugs I take, aside from the afore mentioned ritalin (taken before classes and before starting homework) and possibly the Caffine contained in thin-mints (which are gone now so there isn't any worry there.) Unfortunately, I don't trust myself for the long run, so I doubt that I would be Straight Edge for life, which makes me question "Should I even call myself Straight Edge with that attitude?" Additionally it mentioned in the sites front page that to be truly straight edge you need to experience and be a part of the hardcore scene, which I, unfortunately, am not at all connected to (it comes partially from reclusive tendencies.) I had in the past attempted to be straight edge, but was lacking in information, gaining what little I knew from Minor Threat lyrics, tidbits of knowledge from a friend (who was only marginally more connected to hardcore than myself), and the fact that the Teen Idles drank milk (there were very few other lyrics that I could actually discern at the time.) The attempt promptly ended on my 21st birthday, but now that I've had my taste of drinking legally (responsibly and otherwise) I am seriously reconsidering straight edge. Though if I start again I do wish to be better informed about what it means and implies. Additionally I would prefer that if I were to "label" myself straight edge, I be involved, at least a little bit, in a hardcore/straight edge community.

Love,
GUM.

Hardcore is the best bit of straightedge! If you don't want to drink then don't, you don't need to be straightedge for that. Are you saying you want to get involved in hardcore?

HazardousGUM
03-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Dear Ed,

The answer is yes.

Love,
GUM.

HazardousGUM
03-23-2005, 12:53 PM
That answer is probably a bit lean. I definately want to get involved in a hardcore scene. For the most part I don't actually drink now (the once a month mentioned above is an approximate average since july ignoring that I drank more earlier and less recently.) I enjoy hardcore music but know of very few current bands (half the bands I listen to broke up before I was born.) Also, I currently don't really know many people who appreciate the music. Furthermore, I have no show experience, the extent of concerts/shows I've willingly attended (as opposed to being dragged by my girlfriend or so) is willie nelson, who is nearly as far as Hardcore as I can manage.

Love,
GUM.

SgtD
03-23-2005, 01:59 PM
look up and go to a show. if there's a good show, you can't beat that, there's nothing compared to it.

straightXed
03-23-2005, 03:44 PM
That answer is probably a bit lean. I definately want to get involved in a hardcore scene. For the most part I don't actually drink now (the once a month mentioned above is an approximate average since july ignoring that I drank more earlier and less recently.) I enjoy hardcore music but know of very few current bands (half the bands I listen to broke up before I was born.) Also, I currently don't really know many people who appreciate the music. Furthermore, I have no show experience, the extent of concerts/shows I've willingly attended (as opposed to being dragged by my girlfriend or so) is willie nelson, who is nearly as far as Hardcore as I can manage.

Love,
GUM.

Well i'd say seek out some hardcore, theres a list of bands in the hardcore section and theres tonnes more to mention. Next to nobody in my silly little town is into hardcore but it has no bearing on my appreciation for it. You said for the most part you don't drink now? are you saying you do drink a little or not because for the record straight edge means no alcohol. I wouldn't worry to much about what to call yourself right now just seek out some hardcore music, if theres no decent independant record shops near you theres some good online distros to get stuff from. If you wanna kick drinking then do so, see how you deal with it, if its something you really want to do you'll do it then, don't concern yourself with trying to fit into straightedge right now, just if giving up alcohol is for you and if hardcore is for you - it will be easier to work out when you see what works for you for a while first.

xsecx
03-23-2005, 03:51 PM
Well i'd say seek out some hardcore, theres a list of bands in the hardcore section and theres tonnes more to mention. Next to nobody in my silly little town is into hardcore but it has no bearing on my appreciation for it. You said for the most part you don't drink now? are you saying you do drink a little or not because for the record straight edge means no alcohol. I wouldn't worry to much about what to call yourself right now just seek out some hardcore music, if theres no decent independant record shops near you theres some good online distros to get stuff from. If you wanna kick drinking then do so, see how you deal with it, if its something you really want to do you'll do it then, don't concern yourself with trying to fit into straightedge right now, just if giving up alcohol is for you and if hardcore is for you - it will be easier to work out when you see what works for you for a while first.

go drive to buffalo. go to sit and spin. make friends with buffalo kids. for real.

straightXed
03-23-2005, 03:54 PM
go drive to buffalo. go to sit and spin. make friends with buffalo kids. for real.

I don't think i'd make it plus still no licence.

xsecx
03-23-2005, 03:56 PM
I don't think i'd make it plus still no licence.

bah. like you'd let a little thing like the atlantic stop you.

straightXed
03-23-2005, 03:57 PM
bah. like you'd let a little thing like the atlantic stop you.

I know, i know... half ass, right?

xsecx
03-23-2005, 04:03 PM
I know, i know... half ass, right?

goddamn right.

straightXed
03-23-2005, 04:09 PM
goddamn right.

GUM could go instead.

HazardousGUM
03-23-2005, 06:09 PM
I don't know. That would mean leaving the house. I'm terribly frightened of that. I mean there might be bears out there.

Love,
GUM.

straightXed
03-24-2005, 01:41 AM
I don't know. That would mean leaving the house. I'm terribly frightened of that. I mean there might be bears out there.

Love,
GUM.

Now thats half ass.

HazardousGUM
03-24-2005, 02:27 AM
are you saying you do drink a little or not because for the record straight edge means no alcohol.

I somehow missed this post earlier, what I was saying was that my drinking has tapered off, to now where I haven't had a drink in about a month.

Now thats half ass.

What can I say, I'm a pansy and a recluse.

Love,
GUM.

straightXed
03-24-2005, 02:23 PM
I somehow missed this post earlier, what I was saying was that my drinking has tapered off, to now where I haven't had a drink in about a month.

What can I say, I'm a pansy and a recluse.

Love,
GUM.

So you've given up drinking or do you just not drink very often?

HazardousGUM
03-24-2005, 03:41 PM
Currently I haven't yet entirely given up drinking. If I do decide I wanna be straight edge, I of course will have to, but right now I'm not necessarily against drinking I just haven't done any drinking in a while. I haven't yet said "I'm not gonna drink anymore." I just haven't really considered drinking I guess.

Love,
GUM.

xXxgivebloodxXx
03-24-2005, 03:53 PM
i used 2 feel the same way. i did so many drugs and drank and smoked and i wanted 2 change but i was like... i could never give up smoking. i wanna b edge but i cant do this. and i was worried taht if i did go edge i would break it as soon as sum1 offered me sumthin. but one day... i just stopped everything. it wasent hard @ all. keep urself busy and get through the hard nights for that first week or so. and its totaly worth it. i have never felt better

HazardousGUM
03-24-2005, 04:18 PM
It's not so much that I fear I'll give in if someone offers it to me. I'm fairly confident that I can say no to them. I have a wee bottle of Jack Daniels sitting on my desk, It's been there since september. If I were tempted at all by Liquor that would be long gone by now. I worry that eventually I'll just drift away from straight edge, could be 20years from now. I can't bring myself to say "I'm never gonna drink again." It always irritated me when someone was all "XXX for life!!!!!!! roar roar I'm hardcore" then a month or two later that kid was smoking up everyday. I suppose I just fear commiting.

also, in my first post I had asked about straight edge and Prescriptions, how does that fit in? would it be strictly taboo?

Love,
GUM.

xsecx
03-24-2005, 04:34 PM
also, in my first post I had asked about straight edge and Prescriptions, how does that fit in? would it be strictly taboo?

no, why would it be?

HazardousGUM
03-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Sometimes people tend to go to extremes. In literal terms isn't it No drugs at all period, no exceptions. I personally wouldn't believe that Prescriptions were excluded, but I'm no expert on the subject.

Love,
GUM.

xsecx
03-24-2005, 05:18 PM
Sometimes people tend to go to extremes. In literal terms isn't it No drugs at all period, no exceptions. I personally wouldn't believe that Prescriptions were excluded, but I'm no expert on the subject.

Love,
GUM.

there are drugs in a lot of things, it's not realistic to think that people can live without drugs at any time for any reason for legitimate uses. the line is recreational use.

HazardousGUM
03-24-2005, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the Clarification.

Love,
GUM.