PDA

View Full Version : Growing older

kaotik
03-17-2005, 03:14 PM
Hi all,

Happened to be workin a bit at home today and dove into my old collection of music, and stumbled across Outspoken, Strife, etc etc. Got me remembering the old days as a kid in High School, goin to local shows with friends, sk8ting and generally having a good time. Well, after High School, came college, studying and more studying. Kept to myself, did not go to parties, just worked and graduated. Got into the working world and not persay forgot about the old days but met a girl, dated for 6 years got married, now we have a house together. It brought up a question or two really about how "being straightedge" applies to a person in my situation. Im married, and on Friday and Saturday night I will indulge in a few beers and watch a movie with the mrs. Not that I need to label myself to feel cool, by saying im still straightedge, but im confused as to if I am still or not. I don't go out looking to get plastered, it's not a habit, nor do I do drugs or abuse my body profusely aside from working too hard. I think more or less it's a mindset, if one person says he/she is straightedge and then goes out and get's totally wasted and makes a fool out his or herself then I don't believe that they are straightedge. If a person has control, knows when to stop, or when he/she has had enough then they are straightedge. It is only when that person decides to say "F&*k it" and keeps right on going or doesn't want to stop, then they loose the edge.
-Kaotik

xsecx
03-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Hi all,

Happened to be workin a bit at home today and dove into my old collection of music, and stumbled across Outspoken, Strife, etc etc. Got me remembering the old days as a kid in High School, goin to local shows with friends, sk8ting and generally having a good time. Well, after High School, came college, studying and more studying. Kept to myself, did not go to parties, just worked and graduated. Got into the working world and not persay forgot about the old days but met a girl, dated for 6 years got married, now we have a house together. It brought up a question or two really about how "being straightedge" applies to a person in my situation. Im married, and on Friday and Saturday night I will indulge in a few beers and watch a movie with the mrs. Not that I need to label myself to feel cool, by saying im still straightedge, but im confused as to if I am still or not. I don't go out looking to get plastered, it's not a habit, nor do I do drugs or abuse my body profusely aside from working too hard. I think more or less it's a mindset, if one person says he/she is straightedge and then goes out and get's totally wasted and makes a fool out his or herself then I don't believe that they are straightedge. If a person has control, knows when to stop, or when he/she has had enough then they are straightedge. It is only when that person decides to say "F&*k it" and keeps right on going or doesn't want to stop, then they loose the edge.
-Kaotik

yeah, but straight edge isn't about moderation. given your description, it sounds like things are well in your past and not something live you day to day. I'm older than you given the birthday you listed. I'm married. I live every day of my life completely sober, the same as I have in the past. I have no desire to drink and I never have. If I'm hanging out, I'd drink a million other things before a beer. You drink moderately and it works for you, but I don't know why you'd think you would still be straight edge. If you're not drinking to feel the effects of it, I'd have to ask why you were doing it in the first place.

Resistance in a time of mass self-destruction
Makes the few who walk the straight edge
A growing force of change
Committed through gripped by the plague of a nation
Consumed by intoxication and confined by a crippling greed
In...my...rage
I walk the path of true change
Commitment sworn in the name
Of those who still walk the straight edge
Convictions held to my grave

kaotik
03-17-2005, 04:33 PM
Honestly I like the taste of beer, exotic micro brews, stuff like that. Sure you could delve deeper into my past, I got into straightedge when I was younger cause my dad is an alcoholic and it was my way to rebel and stay strong when he came home every night in a drunken stooper trying to hide from whatever he was trying to hide from. As for me, caffeine, beer, a good meal, it's all pretty much the same to me. It's what I enjoy. I have always said this to myself, now this is open to interpretation. I never drink when im angry, depressed, or stressed. I drink because I want to, because I enjoy the taste of beer, or wine etc etc. I don't want this thread to get blown out of proportion, just trying to get a baseline established. Im not drinking to feel the effects of the beer. I don't drink to get drunk, nor do I let it get that far. How can I explain it, it's the though proccess in my head, or mabye it's the illusion that Im giving myself that im not doing anything wrong? I do not let the alcohol control me, but I control the alcohol. I drink, christ I sound like a bloody alcoholic now.... lol, and when I've had enough I stop. It's that simple. Now whether or not that makes me some form of straightedge or not is open to interpertation, what about sex?

xsecx
03-17-2005, 04:37 PM
Honestly I like the taste of beer, exotic micro brews, stuff like that. Sure you could delve deeper into my past, I got into straightedge when I was younger cause my dad is an alcoholic and it was my way to rebel and stay strong when he came home every night in a drunken stooper trying to hide from whatever he was trying to hide from. As for me, caffeine, beer, a good meal, it's all pretty much the same to me. It's what I enjoy. I have always said this to myself, now this is open to interpretation. I never drink when im angry, depressed, or stressed. I drink because I want to, because I enjoy the taste of beer, or wine etc etc. I don't want this thread to get blown out of proportion, just trying to get a baseline established. Im not drinking to feel the effects of the beer. I don't drink to get drunk, nor do I let it get that far. How can I explain it, it's the though proccess in my head, or mabye it's the illusion that Im giving myself that im not doing anything wrong? I do not let the alcohol control me, but I control the alcohol. I drink, christ I sound like a bloody alcoholic now.... lol, and when I've had enough I stop. It's that simple. Now whether or not that makes me some form of straightedge or not is open to interpertation, what about sex?

not really, since I don't think you're likely to find anyone who are straight edge and thinks people that consume alcohol moderately are straight edge. It's not a matter of right or wrong, but straight edge vs not straight edge, but recreationally drinking isn't edge.

what about sex?

straightXed
03-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Whys everyone offering people sex today?

xSouthernEdgex
03-18-2005, 07:44 AM
I like just reading in this thread. It really helps people learn. i wish people would read other threads before asking ?'s(not directed to this thread's creator)