PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol Vs Straight Edge

nirvana1
03-12-2005, 09:32 AM
I consider myself to be "straight edge". I don't smoke, take drugs, have promiscuous sex etc. I do have a bit of alcohol occasionally tho. Does this make me not straight edge?

As far as I'm aware, straight edgers dont take any "mind altering" substances. However, what if I have the occasional drop of whiskey, glass of wine or bottle of beer? This doesn't alter my mind when having a small amount occasionally - I don't drink to excess. Does everyone view this as me being not straight edge then? Opinions wanted please.

I'm from the UK and no-one seems to know what straight edge is here (perhaps I'm not looking in the right place) Anyone else on this forum from the UK?

xsecx
03-12-2005, 09:48 AM
I consider myself to be "straight edge". I don't smoke, take drugs, have promiscuous sex etc. I do have a bit of alcohol occasionally tho. Does this make me not straight edge?

As far as I'm aware, straight edgers dont take any "mind altering" substances. However, what if I have the occasional drop of whiskey, glass of wine or bottle of beer? This doesn't alter my mind when having a small amount occasionally - I don't drink to excess. Does everyone view this as me being not straight edge then? Opinions wanted please.

I'm from the UK and no-one seems to know what straight edge is here (perhaps I'm not looking in the right place) Anyone else on this forum from the UK?

straight edge isn't about moderation. it's universally agreed upon that straight edge means no alcohol, no drugs. no cigarettes.

there are quite a few people from the uk on here.

straightXed
03-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Where abouts in the UK are you, i'll see if i can point you in the right direction. Straightedge is no alcohol.

xResolvex
03-14-2005, 09:52 PM
ian mckaye originally intended moderation. he would smoke cigarettes and drink on occasion - never at shows though. Obviously we dont have the same view of straightedge anymore, drinking is not accepted.

Jon
03-18-2005, 11:26 AM
straight edge isn't about moderation. it's universally agreed upon that straight edge means no alcohol, no drugs. no cigarettes.

there are quite a few people from the uk on here.
I also have always viewed straight edge as no drugs, alchohol, cigs, etc.

xvunderx
03-18-2005, 11:50 AM
ian mckaye originally intended moderation. he would smoke cigarettes and drink on occasion - never at shows though. Obviously we dont have the same view of straightedge anymore, drinking is not accepted.

ian mckaye didn't intend straight edge period.

xdaddydaycorex
03-20-2005, 10:55 AM
nathan from teen idles was probably more the original voice of the whole sxe mentality anyway. i wish more people would stop trying to turn ians words into gospel and listen to the teen idles instead and hear the voice and words from the band that truely started what we now call straightedge.

xsecx
03-20-2005, 12:12 PM
nathan from teen idles was probably more the original voice of the whole sxe mentality anyway. i wish more people would stop trying to turn ians words into gospel and listen to the teen idles instead and hear the voice and words from the band that truely started what we now call straightedge.

yeah, but honestly, neither's voice or words really matter that much because they came and went and didn't really have that much to do with straight edge becoming what it is.

xdaddydaycorex
03-20-2005, 12:21 PM
yeah, but honestly, neither's voice or words really matter that much because they came and went and didn't really have that much to do with straight edge becoming what it is.

right. but what i'm trying to express is that nathan said it all before ian ever did. and if kids are trying to trace the origins through songs and bands then they really need to satrt with nathan and the teen idles. however i agree that neither matter much now, it was more
a matter of historical accuracy that was concrening me.

teenager?
03-28-2005, 04:33 PM

one of my main reasons for claiming edge was the belief that i was part of a movemnt--against socially sanctioned intoxication. when youve got a beer in your hand, youre telling others, with your actions, that its perfectly acceptable.

while it may be fine for some to drink in moderation, my personal beliefs go along with that of abstinence from such behaviour, and setting an example for others around me.

by choosing water over a beer at parties, (or rather, not showing up at all...) i send the message that i can have a perfectly good time without getting shitfaced, thus hopefully changing a few minds as well as furthering the drug-free movement.

in conclusion, if you drink at all, then you are NOT straightedge.

xJoeyNormalx
04-04-2005, 05:40 PM
Liking Nirvana isn't very Straight Edge.

straightXed
04-04-2005, 06:34 PM
Liking Nirvana isn't very Straight Edge.

wow, thats dumb.

xJoeyNormalx
04-05-2005, 03:01 AM
I aim to please.

straightXed
04-05-2005, 04:52 AM
I aim to please.

then you are a crap shot.

Jon
04-05-2005, 09:58 AM
then you are a crap shot.
ha ha ha. crap shot.