PDA

View Full Version : About the X's

Azmodan
03-10-2005, 05:03 PM
Some questions about the X's... What do they symbolize exactically? I know it's to show that your straight edge... But what does it symbolize? If it symbolizes anything. I wear the X's on my hand at school, like many others at my school do. We probably have around 10-15 people now. It may not be a large amount for a 1500 pop-school. But it's a start.

My other question about the X's is: Do they have to be a certain colour? Or does it simply not matter, I was using Non-toxic dry-erase marquer... I hold my breath while i put it on because it smells like ass, but after it's good. I've asked the maker of them if it'll do any harm and they said no. But my black's running out, so i'm using blue :P lmao. I was just wondering if they have to be black.

Thanks in advanced.
-Aiden

linsee
03-10-2005, 05:13 PM
so youre doing something and you dont know what it means?

straightXed
03-10-2005, 05:24 PM
Some questions about the X's... What do they symbolize exactically? I know it's to show that your straight edge... But what does it symbolize? If it symbolizes anything. I wear the X's on my hand at school, like many others at my school do. We probably have around 10-15 people now. It may not be a large amount for a 1500 pop-school. But it's a start.

My other question about the X's is: Do they have to be a certain colour? Or does it simply not matter, I was using Non-toxic dry-erase marquer... I hold my breath while i put it on because it smells like ass, but after it's good. I've asked the maker of them if it'll do any harm and they said no. But my black's running out, so i'm using blue :P lmao. I was just wondering if they have to be black.

Thanks in advanced.
-Aiden

X's were originally a way to identify underage kids at all ages shows so as to avoid serving them alcohol. Later, kids of drinking age at shows deicded to use the X as a display of there abstinance of alcohol. I don't really think theres any reason to wear X's at school, wear them at shows as that is the context in which they carry meaning.

I wouldn't worry about the colour as much as to why you are wearing them, think about the links with hardcore, like i say i don't see why you'd wear them at school.

Azmodan
03-10-2005, 09:16 PM
so youre doing something and you dont know what it means?

I said i didn't know what it symbolizes... What the hell do the X's represent. I know what it 'means'... It shows me being straight edge... There is a difference between what something means, and what something symbolizes... If you wish i could give you an example from an english text book.

Azmodan
03-10-2005, 09:19 PM
like i say i don't see why you'd wear them at school.

I wear them at school to show other kids that i don't do that sortof thing, and hopefully they'll follow. One of my greatest pet peeves is when people assume stuff about me or my personality when they really have no clue whatsoever as to whom i am. That is why i weat the X's at school. And thanks for the explanation as to what it symbolizes :D I thought it was like meaning something, a type of person/place or something like that. I'm not the brightest star in the sky, but at least i shine. :D

purple_sahire
03-10-2005, 10:25 PM

Thanks in advanced.
-Aiden

hehe i kind of had the same questions too, but i just figured the color didnt matter. cuz i like to use markers that wont do any harm to me too hehe. but i dont think the x's sybolize anything except that is what they put on the hands of kids under 21 who went to the shows so they couldnt buy alchol, like someone already said ^ up there, hehe.

purple_sahire
03-10-2005, 10:26 PM
ok

Azmodan
03-10-2005, 10:34 PM
hehe i kind of had the same questions too, but i just figured the color didnt matter. cuz i like to use markers that wont do any harm to me too hehe. but i dont think the x's sybolize anything except that is what they put on the hands of kids under 21 who went to the shows so they couldnt buy alchol, like someone already said ^ up there, hehe.

21? Oh... Right, nevermind :P

I think the drinking age in Canada is lower, which is actually a stupid idea personally. I'm too tierd to go into full explanation. But their too young here, i think it's 19 or so. After half of them get their lisence they can go ahead and drink a year or two later. Causes some accidents on the road. And i'm not one who wants to die by someone else being inconsiderate. But that's how some humans are, non-caring for others. Why i got at least one of those type of people in each class in school right now! And it gets pretty annoying, they don't seem thankful for some useful advice that some people give them and such... It just annoys me, like alot of things. But it's usually things people don't normally do (unless your a "I'm better than you" person... Then i wanna rip your head off and stick it on a steak...)

linsee
03-11-2005, 01:23 AM
I don't really think theres any reason to wear X's at school, wear them at shows as that is the context in which they carry meaning.

agreed.

I said i didn't know what it symbolizes... What the hell do the X's represent. I know what it 'means'... It shows me being straight edge... There is a difference between what something means, and what something symbolizes... If you wish i could give you an example from an english text book.

you didnt know what it meant because you had to ask what it symbolizes. virtually the same thing. you didnt know what the X's meant, or symbolized.

i just find it hard to understand why you would do something when you dont know what the X's were meant to symbolize. what if they meant something you dont agree with?

straightXed
03-11-2005, 02:37 AM
I wear them at school to show other kids that i don't do that sortof thing, and hopefully they'll follow. One of my greatest pet peeves is when people assume stuff about me or my personality when they really have no clue whatsoever as to whom i am. That is why i weat the X's at school. And thanks for the explanation as to what it symbolizes :D I thought it was like meaning something, a type of person/place or something like that. I'm not the brightest star in the sky, but at least i shine. :D

But like you a lot of people don't know what it actually represents and wearing X's may give people more reason to assume things about your personailty as they have a pre conceived idea of what type of people straightedgers are. Straightedge is only a tiny part of you but don't wear symbols to let people know other things about your personality, people will always assume things and get shit wrong the only effective way to deal with this is to talk about it with people who are at all interested and pay no mind to assumptions based on nothing. If you do focus on setting everyone right on exactly who you are, even people who have no bearing on your life then you'll find its a pretty time consuming excercise.

Azmodan
03-11-2005, 06:50 AM
you didnt know what it meant because you had to ask what it symbolizes. virtually the same thing. you didnt know what the X's meant, or symbolized.

Fine, i'll give you an example RIGHT out of my english text book.

It's called Denotation and Connotation. Denotation is the REAL or litteral meaning something gives. While Connotation gives the associative or seggestive meaning of a word.

Example. When you say "That person is a snake." you are really saying that he's a form of reptile. While it's seggestive meaning shows that he is a crook, or is evil.

This means there IS a meaning. I was wondering what the underlined meaning for it was- Why it's an X instead of a O so-to speak. And now i obviously know- Because of the shows where they put an X on your hand to show your underage.

Azmodan
03-11-2005, 06:56 AM
But like you a lot of people don't know what it actually represents and wearing X's may give people more reason to assume things about your personailty as they have a pre conceived idea of what type of people straightedgers are.

That may be true. But at least they don't assume the most annoying one then. Sex. I absolutely HATE it when people assume i've done that. Having a girlfriend for a year and a half doesn't mean someone HAS to have sex.

And when i wear the X's on my hands people always ask what they mean (not what it symbolizes). So, i reply telling them it's for Straight edge- No drinking, no drugs, no smoking, and no permiscous sex. Which at least gives them a fair part of my personality. The only other part they would assume is that i don't have a girlfriend, but i don't care if they do. I probably call for that one by acting around 2-4 at school. When they finally do hear that i have one, that's when they assume things... Really annoys me. Don't know why though.

It's just one of those things you get- Like some people don't like certain foods because it tastes bad. Sure, it could taste like the greatest thing in the world. But different people think different ways, with differen't perspectives... Which is why we're (you guessed it) different.

xsecx
03-11-2005, 08:33 AM
Fine, i'll give you an example RIGHT out of my english text book.

It's called Denotation and Connotation. Denotation is the REAL or litteral meaning something gives. While Connotation gives the associative or seggestive meaning of a word.

Example. When you say "That person is a snake." you are really saying that he's a form of reptile. While it's seggestive meaning shows that he is a crook, or is evil.

This means there IS a meaning. I was wondering what the underlined meaning for it was- Why it's an X instead of a O so-to speak. And now i obviously know- Because of the shows where they put an X on your hand to show your underage.
you're somehow trying to discount the symbolism, when something is a symbol. knowing and understanding the history of what you're proclaiming is important.

straightXed
03-11-2005, 10:17 AM
That may be true. But at least they don't assume the most annoying one then. Sex. I absolutely HATE it when people assume i've done that. Having a girlfriend for a year and a half doesn't mean someone HAS to have sex.

And when i wear the X's on my hands people always ask what they mean (not what it symbolizes). So, i reply telling them it's for Straight edge- No drinking, no drugs, no smoking, and no permiscous sex. Which at least gives them a fair part of my personality. The only other part they would assume is that i don't have a girlfriend, but i don't care if they do. I probably call for that one by acting around 2-4 at school. When they finally do hear that i have one, that's when they assume things... Really annoys me. Don't know why though.

It's just one of those things you get- Like some people don't like certain foods because it tastes bad. Sure, it could taste like the greatest thing in the world. But different people think different ways, with differen't perspectives... Which is why we're (you guessed it) different.

Healthy relationships often have sex, whilst assuming isn't accurate its not like someone assuming you have a normal healthy sex life is such a bad thing, i wouldn't get so stressed about it.

If thats a fair part of your personality i feel very sorry for you, all the straightedge kids i know could not begin to be summed up by their short list of abstinance and love of hardcore. And what it symbolises for most doesn't concentrate on sex issues at all so when you say it does cover these things its removing it somewhat from its context. I think its really important to understand exactly about whatever symbol you wear, you may uncover that its all tied in to a white power movement so i think linsee was just trying to point that out. Like you don't want to allign yourself with something that you don't condone so the best thing to do is not wear it until you know what it is "don't go waving flags until you know what it is you stand for".

I really fail to see how wearing an X will actually stop people assuming you've had sex though, and to be honest its not a very good reason for wearing it.

Azmodan
03-11-2005, 02:56 PM
you're somehow trying to discount the symbolism, when something is a symbol. knowing and understanding the history of what you're proclaiming is important.

I knew... Part of the history, just not the part of where it became an X, I knew of the bands going together and making/singing songs about anti-drugs, alcolhol etc etc.

Azmodan
03-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Healthy relationships often have sex, whilst assuming isn't accurate its not like someone assuming you have a normal healthy sex life is such a bad thing, i wouldn't get so stressed about it.

If thats a fair part of your personality i feel very sorry for you, all the straightedge kids i know could not begin to be summed up by their short list of abstinance and love of hardcore. And what it symbolises for most doesn't concentrate on sex issues at all so when you say it does cover these things its removing it somewhat from its context. I think its really important to understand exactly about whatever symbol you wear, you may uncover that its all tied in to a white power movement so i think linsee was just trying to point that out. Like you don't want to allign yourself with something that you don't condone so the best thing to do is not wear it until you know what it is "don't go waving flags until you know what it is you stand for".

I really fail to see how wearing an X will actually stop people assuming you've had sex though, and to be honest its not a very good reason for wearing it.

I'm not trying to not have sex due to straight edge. I have other reasons for not doing it. The X's stop people from assuming that i'm some type of crackhead druggy- Crazy people get that treatment sometime.

xsecx
03-11-2005, 03:03 PM
I knew... Part of the history, just not the part of where it became an X, I knew of the bands going together and making/singing songs about anti-drugs, alcolhol etc etc.
the thing is, if you knew about the first band and the origin, you would have known where the x came from and why.

linsee
03-11-2005, 03:05 PM
I'm not trying to not have sex due to straight edge. I have other reasons for not doing it. The X's stop people from assuming that i'm some type of crackhead druggy- Crazy people get that treatment sometime.

then maybe you need to find a different symbol to wear if youre not having sex doesnt have to do with straight edge.

Azmodan
03-11-2005, 03:05 PM
the thing is, if you knew about the first band and the origin, you would have known where the x came from and why.

Ever heard of human-error? It happens alot. Sorry to point it out, but no single man or woman is correct all the time. I couldof simply read through it and forgotten that part.

Azmodan
03-11-2005, 03:06 PM
then maybe you need to find a different symbol to wear if youre not having sex doesnt have to do with straight edge.

What about the other reasons? You just left out like 2-3 depending on how you look at it.

xsecx
03-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Ever heard of human-error? It happens alot. Sorry to point it out, but no single man or woman is correct all the time. I couldof simply read through it and forgotten that part.
then you really wouldn't have a thorough understanding of it then. It's not a crime to be ignorant, but seriously. do some research, understand, really understand what you're aligning yourself with, because it seems like you read over some things, glossed over most of it and only took the parts you wanted.

Azmodan
03-11-2005, 03:16 PM
it seems like you read over some things, glossed over most of it and only took the parts you wanted.
What do you mean by that? -I don't understand.

xsecx
03-11-2005, 03:18 PM
What do you mean by that? -I don't understand.
it means that I don't think you have any understanding of what straight edge is actually about.

Azmodan
03-11-2005, 03:26 PM
it means that I don't think you have any understanding of what straight edge is actually about.

How would i of said half of my posts before if i had no understanding of what straight edge is about? It can obviously mean slightly differen't things for differen't people- A healthy lifestyle, to show others who you are, and to prove that you can have fun without the need of drinking.

One person can easily think of straight edge as "living a healthy and better lifestyle" while others may think otherwise. There's always underlined meanings to things.

xsecx
03-11-2005, 03:34 PM
How would i of said half of my posts before if i had no understanding of what straight edge is about? It can obviously mean slightly differen't things for differen't people- A healthy lifestyle, to show others who you are, and to prove that you can have fun without the need of drinking.

One person can easily think of straight edge as "living a healthy and better lifestyle" while others may think otherwise. There's always underlined meanings to things.
because you've asked questions that demonstrate that you have no understanding of what straight edge is.

the definition of straight edge doesn't change, peoples opinions of it however do. What straight edge actually is doesn't change, and as someone who says they are just becoming aware of something, are you really in a position to try and say you're an expert? especilaly when you've demonstrated that you don't even know and understand basic history and symbolism.

case in point, explain to me why you think straight edge has to do with sex.

Azmodan
03-11-2005, 03:48 PM
are you really in a position to try and say you're an expert?

You don't need to be an expert to state some underlined meanings my friend.

And what are you talking about "straight edge doesn't change". Almost anything can change-

Here's a fairly damn good example. Christanity- It changed. Explain that one.

As for the sex with straight edge- It's not anywhere in the resource i read from. And either way i wouldn't care for that. I have other reasons for not doing it like i said before, so why would you ask me something like that in the first place? It obviously proved nothing. I read my source, it wasn't there.

xsecx
03-11-2005, 03:57 PM
You don't need to be an expert to state some underlined meanings my friend.

And what are you talking about "straight edge doesn't change". Almost anything can change-

Here's a fairly damn good example. Christanity- It changed. Explain that one.

As for the sex with straight edge- It's not anywhere in the resource i read from. And either way i wouldn't care for that. I have other reasons for not doing it like i said before, so why would you ask me something like that in the first place? It obviously proved nothing. I read my source, it wasn't there.

wait, so you can state underlined meanings of something you don't thoroughly understand? how so?

the history of straight edge hasn't changed. so what's your point?

Sso you read a "resource" and then you're in a place to discuss underlying meanings? Do you even read things before you hit submit? You were the one that brought up sex and straight edge. You don't know what you're talking about. you don't have a full understanding on the subject, you don't even have a limited one. so do some more research, listen to some bands, and then come back and talk to me.

straightXed
03-11-2005, 04:18 PM

you said:

That may be true. But at least they don't assume the most annoying one then. Sex. I absolutely HATE it when people assume i've done that.

How is wearing an X going to stop people assuming that?

Azmodan
03-11-2005, 04:27 PM
wait, so you can state underlined meanings of something you don't thoroughly understand? how so?

By understanding it from a different perspective.
I know 20 people who don't listen to bands and are still straight edge- Why would I have too? And how do i not have a limited understanding?

straightXed, the reason i'm not having sex isn't due to the fact of being straight edge. But wearing the X's on my hand tell people that i don't have sex. Sorry, sounded proper when i worded it :\

xsecx
03-11-2005, 04:31 PM
I know 20 people who don't listen to bands and are still straight edge- Why would I have too? And how do i not have a limited understanding?

straightXed, the reason i'm not having sex isn't due to the fact of being straight edge. But wearing the X's on my hand tell people that i don't have sex. Sorry, sounded proper when i worded it :\
you don't understand it from any perspective, you don't even know basic history. how can you even try and argue this?

even your last statement firms up that you don't understand it. do you even listen to yourself?

xsecx
03-11-2005, 04:33 PM

so you know 20 people with about as much clue about straight edge as you? great. if they don't listen to bands, how are they still straight edge? how are you straight edge? what makes you straight edge?

Azmodan
03-11-2005, 04:38 PM
you don't understand it from any perspective, you don't even know basic history. how can you even try and argue this?

even your last statement firms up that you don't understand it. do you even listen to yourself?

I understand as much as i need to understand. Why are you being hippacritical? In the other thread you said that I can't talk about what he said based on him saying a joke- How would you know anything of what the fuck i know?

Here's a summary of what i know about straight edge.

Around late 1970's to early/mid 1980's a group of bands started the straight edge. Their songs included lines talking about anti-drugs and anti-drinking- Not needing them, yet still being able to have fun. From there it practically kept growing and growing. In the 2000's the amount of bands decreased or something like that, yet the straight edge kids increased.

That's about all my source tells me in a giant summary- All that i knew from it.

xsecx
03-11-2005, 04:42 PM
I understand as much as i need to understand. Why are you being hippacritical? In the other thread you said that I can't talk about what he said based on him saying a joke- How would you know anything of what the fuck i know?

Around late 1970's to early/mid 1980's a group of bands started the straight edge. Their songs included lines talking about anti-drugs and anti-drinking- Not needing them, yet still being able to have fun. From there it practically kept growing and growing. In the 2000's the amount of bands decreased or something like that, yet the straight edge kids increased.

That's about all my source tells me in a giant summary- All that i knew from it.

because of how you fail to demonstrate it. every time you open your mouth, you spew shit that shows that you haven't researched it, you haven't lived it, you haven't done anything but read one website. Have you even heard the songs? Does the fact that it was spread through music escape you? How are you straight edge?

Azmodan
03-11-2005, 04:43 PM
so you know 20 people with about as much clue about straight edge as you? great. if they don't listen to bands, how are they still straight edge? how are you straight edge? what makes you straight edge?

Why would you have to listen to bands to be straight edge? Ya, sure. That may be part of it. But still.

To be christian, do you have to follow the bible 100%? No.

I'm straight edge because of my lifestyle. I'm straight edge because of the choices i have made, and the choices i will make.

straightXed
03-11-2005, 04:44 PM
I know 20 people who don't listen to bands and are still straight edge- Why would I have too? And how do i not have a limited understanding? They aren't straightedge

The X's will not tell people you don't have sex - NEWSFLASH straightedge people have sex!

Azmodan
03-11-2005, 04:44 PM
because of how you fail to demonstrate it. every time you open your mouth, you spew shit that shows that you haven't researched it, you haven't lived it, you haven't done anything but read one website. Have you even heard the songs? Does the fact that it was spread through music escape you? How are you straight edge?

I don't open my mouth when i type... I don't know what kindof high-tech computer your using... But you must feel very special having it. You've asked me that last question twice or three times now by the way.

Azmodan
03-11-2005, 04:47 PM
The X's will not tell people you don't have sex - NEWSFLASH straightedge people have sex!

Works for me, why- Would you like me to wear a shirt that says "I HAVEN'T HAD SEX!!!" or something? It's told enough people that i haven't had sex without them asking.

straightXed
03-11-2005, 04:48 PM
I understand as much as i need to understand. Why are you being hippacritical? In the other thread you said that I can't talk about what he said based on him saying a joke- How would you know anything of what the fuck i know? you are giving everyone the information needed to say you don't know what you are talking about, seriously you do not know straightedge based on your posts about it.

That is a very poor summary and i would seriously look into it a lot more, there is so much more and it remains a movement that resides withing the sub culture of hardcore.

xsecx
03-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Why would you have to listen to bands to be straight edge? Ya, sure. That may be part of it. But still.

I'm straight edge because of my lifestyle. I'm straight edge because of the choices i have made, and the choices i will make.

because that's what makes straight edge, straight edge. otherwise, it's just another group of sober people.

if you don't listen to the music, then how is it your lifestyle?

Azmodan
03-11-2005, 04:50 PM
you are giving everyone the information needed to say you don't know what you are talking about, seriously you do not know straightedge based on your posts about it.

That is a very poor summary and i would seriously look into it a lot more, there is so much more and it remains a movement that resides withing the sub culture of hardcore.

Well then explain it too me- Because i obviously don't have the fucking intelligence to do it myself! Explain to me what every little bit of it is! Please!

xsecx
03-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Well then explain it too me- Because i obviously don't have the fucking intelligence to do it myself! Explain to me what every little bit of it is! Please!
wow. we agree on something.

straightXed
03-11-2005, 04:54 PM

Not just part of it, without it it becomes something different, hardcore is what started it and fueled it and remains the vogul of it to this day. Millions of people don't smoke, drink or take drugs but they are just regular drug free people.

And what christians don't follow the bible? Poor example, a better would be a christian that doesn't believe in god, jesus or any that spread the word of god in depicted within the bible.

You are drug free, congratulations, straightedge is a subculture within hardcore.

Azmodan
03-11-2005, 04:55 PM
wow. we agree on something.

Heh. Different people are smart at different things- I guess this isn't my "forté"

I'll stick with my computer lingo. (i still want the explanation please :P)

straightXed
03-11-2005, 04:55 PM
I don't open my mouth when i type... I don't know what kindof high-tech computer your using... But you must feel very special having it. You've asked me that last question twice or three times now by the way.

And you can't answer it ther captain facetious.

straightXed
03-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Works for me, why- Would you like me to wear a shirt that says "I HAVEN'T HAD SEX!!!" or something? It's told enough people that i haven't had sex without them asking.

Would you like to reinforce misconception?

straightXed
03-11-2005, 05:01 PM

I would love to, first read other posts on the site to avoid me going over things i have said before. When something you are unsure of arises after that ask a question. I seriously suggest listening to some of the bands mentioned on the site also. Also kerb the attitude as it will impare communication, and you communication is vital in learning.

straightXed
03-11-2005, 05:02 PM
Heh. Different people are smart at different things- I guess this isn't my "forté"

At this moment i would like to ask a question slightly off topic as you brought it up, what computer lingo are you refering too?

Azmodan
03-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Would you like to reinforce misconception?

Haven't i already?

If i haven't said i'm wrong in some way, shape, or form there. I'll do it here-
I am a fucking idiot and should be secluded from society... Well... I am... Nevermind. But on the note- I obviously don't understand what you want me to understand. So please tell me, let me comprehend what you wish.

By the way. A lifestyle reflects the attitudes and values of a person or group. Music would be but a small portion. If you wish to argue with that one. Go here (http://www.dictionary.com) and yell at them.

Azmodan
03-11-2005, 05:10 PM
At this moment i would like to ask a question slightly off topic as you brought it up, what computer lingo are you refering too?

Computers in general. I probably don't know all lingo, but i can understand what your talking about when you start going into conversation about the computers chips and such. Nerdy stuff. Hardware lingo and gaming lingo for the most part though.

Azmodan
03-11-2005, 05:11 PM
Also kerb the attitude as it will impare communication, and you communication is vital in learning.

You didn't have to point out me sucking at communication -_- I already know i do. I almost fail english every year, yet i speak the language. I was obviously getting mad at the fact that you weren't understanding what i was trying to say. Wether it was true or not.

EDIT:

By the way, my source was http://www.straightedge.com/whatissxe.html - Does it suck or something? I thought i memorized half the page (not including the lyrics)

Azmodan
03-11-2005, 05:49 PM
I would love to, first read other posts on the site to avoid me going over things i have said before. When something you are unsure of arises after that ask a question.

I had a post about this and everyone said it was about the persons views on it... And in general the no drugs/smoking/alcolhol were a must or something (i can't think of the word)... What exactically am i looking for if it's not that? *goes back to fixing computer...*

straightXed
03-12-2005, 06:25 AM
Haven't i already?

what misconception are you refering to?

If i haven't said i'm wrong in some way, shape, or form there. I'll do it here-
I am a fucking idiot and should be secluded from society... Well... I am... Nevermind. But on the note- I obviously don't understand what you want me to understand. So please tell me, let me comprehend what you wish.

By the way. A lifestyle reflects the attitudes and values of a person or group. Music would be but a small portion. If you wish to argue with that one. Go here (http://www.dictionary.com) and yell at them.

The definition doesn't negate the fact that straightedge is about hardcore and without hardcore becomes something else.

straightXed
03-12-2005, 06:31 AM
You didn't have to point out me sucking at communication -_- I already know i do. I almost fail english every year, yet i speak the language. I was obviously getting mad at the fact that you weren't understanding what i was trying to say. Wether it was true or not.

EDIT:

By the way, my source was http://www.straightedge.com/whatissxe.html - Does it suck or something? I thought i memorized half the page (not including the lyrics)

The lyrics was just as important and reading that page just illustrates how hardcore is a vital part of straightedge. The source doesn't suck but it seems you have misunderstood it.

xvunderx
03-12-2005, 07:33 AM
The thing is Azmoden, there have been a lot of kids that saw an sXe key chain in Hot Topic, then went into the world proclaiming themselves to be sxe with no idea what it ment, or that the label didn't fit them.

Sxe Isn't a lifestyle, it's a subculture, like punk is a subculture. it is a subculture based in hardcore. Not dinking, not smoking, not doing drugs aren't the differences that make every one in the world straight edge, they are the 3 differences that make a hardcore kid a straight edge kid.

Not every Mormon is edge, yet every mormon is drug free, not every recovering alcoholic is edge.

Outside of hardcore, sxe doesn't exist. if you are not hardcore, you are a smart kid that made some smart decisions, but not sxe.

xsecx
03-12-2005, 08:19 AM

EDIT:

so if someone goes to the trouble of including lyrics, why would you think that it would be a very small part of it, especially when at each stage it talks about bands?

Azmodan
03-12-2005, 11:03 AM
what misconception are you refering to?

The definition doesn't negate the fact that straightedge is about hardcore and without hardcore becomes something else.

I was refering to when i said "Heh. Different people are smart at different things- I guess this isn't my "forté" I'll stick with my computer lingo. (i still want the explanation please :P)"

The lyrics was just as important and reading that page just illustrates how hardcore is a vital part of straightedge. The source doesn't suck but it seems you have misunderstood it.

What all the songs are saying is, the main goal of straight edge is to regain as much personal control over your own life as possible. But for alot of the lyrics, it seems to have to do with just living a better and healthyer lifestyle. Am i correct?

Outside of hardcore, sxe doesn't exist. if you are not hardcore, you are a smart kid that made some smart decisions, but not sxe.

Why?

so if someone goes to the trouble of including lyrics, why would you think that it would be a very small part of it, especially when at each stage it talks about bands?

I thought it was simply showing examples of music at the time.

I've gone and read other sources... And my eye caught this:

How do I join the straight-edge?
You don't join straight-edge, you become straight-edge. To do that you
just get involved in the scene and start thinking for yourself.

The idea is to closely examine your own life, identify what factors
influence your thoughts and behaviours, assess what impact they are
having on your life and rid yourself of those factors which you deem to
have a negative impact on your life.

That's saying that i don't have to listen to any certain music or anything, it's simply about (i'm practically repeating it here) trying to live a better lifestyle, making better choices, and most importantly not do anything to yourself that will be negative.

xvunderx
03-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Why?

Because straight edge is hardcore kids against drugs, it's a movement with in a subculture, you know, like I discussed in the part of my post you seem to have skiped over.

are all mormons straight edge?

Azmodan
03-12-2005, 11:14 AM
Because straight edge is hardcore kids against drugs, it's a movement with in a subculture, you know, like I discussed in the part of my post you seem to have skiped over.

are all mormons straight edge?

I didn't skip it over- I simply just didn't understand. And i don't know what a mormon is... I'm secluded, i thought i said that before.

xvunderx
03-12-2005, 11:19 AM
I didn't skip it over- I simply just didn't understand. And i don't know what a mormon is... I'm secluded, i thought i said that before.

Mormons are a religion, and they don't drink or do any drugs.

xsecx
03-12-2005, 11:23 AM
What all the songs are saying is, the main goal of straight edge is to regain as much personal control over your own life as possible. But for alot of the lyrics, it seems to have to do with just living a better and healthyer lifestyle. Am i correct?

you're missing the forest for the trees. the medium is as important as the message.

I thought it was simply showing examples of music at the time.

why would they do that if the music didn't matter?

That's saying that i don't have to listen to any certain music or anything, it's simply about (i'm practically repeating it here) trying to live a better lifestyle, making better choices, and most importantly not do anything to yourself that will be negative.

what do you think they meant by the scene? The scene is the straight edge scene within hardcore. the shows. the bands, the music. It's a living thing that exists outside of the internet and it's something to be experienced.

Azmodan
03-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Mormons are a religion, and they don't drink or do any drugs.

So... Your saying in order to be straight edge... I'll have to do the following (correct me if i'm wrong)

1. Obviously not drink, smoke, do drugs
2. No permiscous sex
3. Listen to sxe bands
4. Understand the fight against drugs

xsecx
03-12-2005, 11:28 AM
So... Your saying in order to be straight edge... I'll have to do the following (correct me if i'm wrong)

1. Obviously not drink, smoke, do drugs
2. No permiscous sex
3. Listen to sxe bands
4. Understand the fight against drugs

remove 2 and 4.

it's a lifestyle, it's a subculture. it's more than just a list of things you don't do.

Azmodan
03-12-2005, 11:33 AM
remove 2 and 4.

it's a lifestyle, it's a subculture. it's more than just a list of things you don't do.

But would i have to go and see shows in order to be sxe? I haven't gone to a single show in my damn life. The one that i am going to is the New Found Glory concert, with my girlfriend.

Your saying i have to "experience" it... How would I go about in doing such a thing... here, in my little secluded life that is "nerdism" :\

xsecx
03-12-2005, 11:40 AM
But would i have to go and see shows in order to be sxe? I haven't gone to a single show in my damn life. The one that i am going to is the New Found Glory concert, with my girlfriend.

Your saying i have to "experience" it... How would I go about in doing such a thing... here, in my little secluded life that is "nerdism" :\

there are tons of shows in ontario. I'm sure you haven't even looked into the hardcore scene around you. and I know for a fact that there are shows in ajax and bands that have come from there.

Azmodan
03-12-2005, 11:50 AM
there are tons of shows in ontario. I'm sure you haven't even looked into the hardcore scene around you. and I know for a fact that there are shows in ajax and bands that have come from there.

Obviously. Sum41 came from Ajax. And i'm pretty sure bands have performed here in Ajax. You are correct, i have never looked into the "hardcore scene around me"... Heh, i barely look into any scenes around me -_-

It's just, if you haven't noticed- I'm not very outgoing. I hope that doesn't come as a shock to you -_- Since i'm like 50% hermit (don't take that seriously), i was wondering if there's some other way of being "in the scene"...

xsecx
03-12-2005, 11:59 AM
Obviously. Sum41 came from Ajax. And i'm pretty sure bands have performed here in Ajax. You are correct, i have never looked into the "hardcore scene around me"... Heh, i barely look into any scenes around me -_-

It's just, if you haven't noticed- I'm not very outgoing. I hope that doesn't come as a shock to you -_- Since i'm like 50% hermit (don't take that seriously), i was wondering if there's some other way of being "in the scene"...
how can you be apart of something by yourself?

Azmodan
03-12-2005, 12:03 PM
how can you be apart of something by yourself?

That's why we invented the internet- To communicate. -_-

YAY! Life-time :D I'll go to my friends house now. lmao :D

straightXed
03-12-2005, 12:37 PM
I was refering to when i said "Heh. Different people are smart at different things- I guess this isn't my "forté" I'll stick with my computer lingo. (i still want the explanation please :P)"

So you were ignoring the misconception i brought up in the first place, if you ignore things why should i explain them?

if you were correct would hardcore be integral to straightedge?

What scene do you think they were talking about? What is the vehicle for the ideas withing that scene?

xvunderx
03-12-2005, 01:03 PM

I'm not trying to be a bitch when I say this, but maybe a drug free lifestyle is whats for you, and maybe sxe isn't for you.

You should be yourself, and do what is right for you. If the label straight edge doesn't fit you, so what your not edge. Why try and force yourself into a mold for the sake of a label?

Why do you need to be straight edge in order to be proud of being drug free? Why not a drug free demi-hermit?

Azmodan
03-14-2005, 06:35 PM
Why do you need to be straight edge in order to be proud of being drug free? Why not a drug free demi-hermit?

Because no one likes the drug free demi-hermits- End of story...

But you are correct. No sence in me changing my music (which isn't really a lifestyle in itself...) which i love so much to become something/someone i am not. I'll be HERMIT-EDGE! (i'm kidding). You guys won't mind if you got someone like me on here though will ya?

xResolvex
03-14-2005, 09:24 PM
remove 2 and 4.

no promiscuous sex is SO a part of straightedge. You cant take on SxE and ignore one of the x's, it doesnt work that way. I do agree that sex is the hardest part to understand and that it is commonly misunderstood. Respect your body, dont sleep around.

xsecx
03-15-2005, 06:05 AM
no promiscuous sex is SO a part of straightedge. You cant take on SxE and ignore one of the x's, it doesnt work that way. I do agree that sex is the hardest part to understand and that it is commonly misunderstood. Respect your body, dont sleep around.

no it isn't. it's what happens when kids take out of step as a set of rules.

xResolvex
03-15-2005, 08:55 AM
no it isn't. it's what happens when kids take out of step as a set of rules.
im just going to ignore all your posts now, you obviously dont know the first thing about respecting your body which is what straightedge is about.

xsecx
03-15-2005, 09:04 AM
im just going to ignore all your posts now, you obviously dont know the first thing about respecting your body which is what straightedge is about.

then I'll just get rid of you.

xvunderx
03-15-2005, 10:23 AM

Are you high?

straightXed
03-15-2005, 11:45 AM

I spy with my little eye someone who knows nothing about.... S E?

xSouthernEdgex
03-16-2005, 08:17 AM

Do you know what the hell you're talking about?

Azmodan
03-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Think of the bright side. At least it wasn't me who said it :P lmao