PDA

View Full Version : X's

prolixepithet
02-16-2005, 01:03 PM
First off let me preface this with a statement. I am not edge, nor do I ever stand a chance of being edge. But I’m not here to start fights. I just have questions.

The X's on the back of the hands, they publicly proclaim you as edge. But isn’t it something that you are doing for yourself? Or is it that being edge has now become the “cool” thing to do within the hxc scene?

xsecx
02-16-2005, 02:35 PM
First off let me preface this with a statement. I am not edge, nor do I ever stand a chance of being edge. But I’m not here to start fights. I just have questions.

The X's on the back of the hands, they publicly proclaim you as edge. But isn’t it something that you are doing for yourself? Or is it that being edge has now become the “cool” thing to do within the hxc scene?
why can't something be for yourself and proclaimed publicly?

edge has been around for about as long as hardcore, so I don't see how it's becoming teh cool thing to do within the hxc when it's been there for decades.

veganedge
02-16-2005, 08:17 PM
For me it's a wake up call for others. explanation >>> wearing X's most of the time (not just shows) will get people to ask me what it means, and further prove that teens are not all fuck-ups and druggies....

xgregx
02-16-2005, 10:06 PM
I x it up to take showers. just in case.

veganedge
02-16-2005, 10:09 PM
hey man, you never know who will be in there.... :)

SgtD
02-17-2005, 02:02 AM
For me it's a wake up call for others. explanation >>> wearing X's most of the time (not just shows) will get people to ask me what it means, and further prove that teens are not all fuck-ups and druggies....
sorry, but i have to say, being x-ed up all the time seems stupid

straightXed
02-17-2005, 02:05 AM
sorry, but i have to say, being x-ed up all the time seems stupid

It is.

prolixepithet
02-17-2005, 07:08 AM
Those who X up at all times is mostly who this thread was referring to. X'ing up for a show seems logical. Because that’s where the scene came from, but those who X up at all times, and almost seem to do it for the attention of being edge, treat it as another way to try being an individual while actually just conforming to another ideology

xsecx
02-17-2005, 08:20 AM
Those who X up at all times is mostly who this thread was referring to. X'ing up for a show seems logical. Because that’s where the scene came from, but those who X up at all times, and almost seem to do it for the attention of being edge, treat it as another way to try being an individual while actually just conforming to another ideology
again, how are they mutually exclusive? how are you going to decide what someones motives are, and even further than that being able to know that someone is gdoing it to "Try to be an individual"?

why can't something be for yourself and proclaimed publicly?

and the even bigger question is, why do you care?

veganedge
02-17-2005, 12:17 PM
my thought has always been not just straightedge for myself. Refer to Throwdown (hah) you can be edge without ever Xing up, I X up to show others that you don't have to use drugs and there are plenty of people who don't. So, X-ing up at shows is not that important to me (usually do, but I also have a tattoo soooo....) Whatever. It doesn't really matter. Yeah, I x-up when I feel like it. Why do those that have posted feel that you should only do it at shows? Because I kind of didn't get it. I think x-up at shows and any other time is the same. You X-up at shows for people to spot you? Friends? To be a part of something? For yourself (then why only at shows)? It's the same thing to me as any other day/time.

xdaddydaycorex
02-19-2005, 02:12 PM
I think x-up at shows and any other time is the same. You X-up at shows for people to spot you? Friends? To be a part of something? For yourself (then why only at shows)? It's the same thing to me as any other day/time.

first it is the shows where X's started. x because your too young to drink, then x because you werent going to drink anyway no matter how old you were. going to shows w/ x's became a symbol of unity. no one really x'd up outside of shows. this was then, maybe more kids are getting into the social identification aspect of X'ing up....but i think they are best left for shows. think super fans of sports...you dont see the raider nation wearing gwar type uotfits and black and silver face painting to go to school or work in. they save the show for the show.

xacoix
02-19-2005, 06:58 PM
I x it up to take showers. just in case.

thats the only time i do it, i put em on extra thick for long showers

DontxxxBlink
02-21-2005, 02:50 PM
I don't X up all the time. I X up at shows mainly, because it does show unity (to quote xdaddydaycorex). I don't X up at school only because it attracts un wanted attention (the majority of my school drinks because there is nothing else better to do). And plus I am one of two straight edge kids at my school (the only girl...grr). I see it, if someone wants to know, then they can ask, or I tell them if they ask me to go drink or something.

I really don't see anything wrong with X-ing up all the time though. If someone likes to, then thats cool. It's kind of like wearing a straight edge shirt or whatever. You're just putting out your beliefs for anyone to see.

veganedge
02-23-2005, 10:36 PM
Also, I don't X-up for unity.... I don't love everybody who is straightedge, matter of fact I hate some straightedge kids. That's not all I believe in or stand for. If somebody is sexist and straightedge, then I don't really want to unify (totally unsure of the word to put in there) with them.... but I'm just stating and discussing, not debating...

Like I said, I'm edge not just at shows

CM-Savage
02-25-2005, 01:08 PM
the X was started in old concerts. kids how were too young to drink got x's drawn on they're hands so they wouldn't get served beer

straightXed
02-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Also, I don't X-up for unity.... I don't love everybody who is straightedge, matter of fact I hate some straightedge kids. That's not all I believe in or stand for. If somebody is sexist and straightedge, then I don't really want to unify (totally unsure of the word to put in there) with them.... but I'm just stating and discussing, not debating...

Like I said, I'm edge not just at shows

Ok, so how is X'ing up saying you agree with sexism in any way? I mean a lot of sxe kids are vegan, i'm not sharing that viewpoint personally. I'm not saying i'm unified with all the straightedge kids around but i do share a uniform choice with them - i think i only replied to get that in!

veganedge
02-25-2005, 08:52 PM
I didn't say it was....

straightXed
02-26-2005, 05:21 AM
I didn't say it was....

"Also, I don't X-up for unity...."

"...somebody is sexist and straightedge, then I don't really want to unify..."

So what were you trying to say with this, i mean it seems to me like you are implying x-ing up would be unifying your ideals to sexism.

veganedge
03-01-2005, 10:56 PM
hmmmmm.... I see your point. I didn't mean it that way at all, but now that I re-read it.... Okay how about this, being straightedge isn't enough.