PDA

View Full Version : What Does Straight Edge Mean To you

ToR-MoD
12-22-2004, 02:22 AM
Hi There,
I am doing an article for a new website call trib-override.com (not yet launched). We are going to do a small article on the straight edge culture. Was just courious, what does being straight edge mean to you as an individual? How has it helped you as a person?

Was hoping to learn a little more about the culture besides what research I have done and would like to shoot a few questions about this your guys way.

I have read that there can be pressure between those who are not sxe and those who are. I would like to touch on that as well. Please note I am completley neutral to that matter...

If anyone would like to shoot me an e-mail that would be great!
tor_staff@trib-override.com or just post your thoughts here!

Thanks A Lot!

SgtD
12-22-2004, 05:57 AM
i think you should read about it, though it's still easier to ask people to tell everything about it, you don't need to work on it too much do you?

straightXed
12-22-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by ToR-MoD
Hi There,
I am doing an article for a new website call trib-override.com (not yet launched). We are going to do a small article on the straight edge culture. Was just courious, what does being straight edge mean to you as an individual? How has it helped you as a person?

Was hoping to learn a little more about the culture besides what research I have done and would like to shoot a few questions about this your guys way.

I have read that there can be pressure between those who are not sxe and those who are. I would like to touch on that as well. Please note I am completley neutral to that matter...

If anyone would like to shoot me an e-mail that would be great!
tor_staff@trib-override.com or just post your thoughts here!

Thanks A Lot!

whats the site you are launching about and how does straightedge fit in with it?

xsecx
12-22-2004, 09:40 AM
it would be helpful if you'd put what you believe straight edge to be first.

ToR-MoD
12-22-2004, 11:45 AM
The website will cover rock music (all genres), models and social commentary. It will have other features as well (band profiles, forum. personals). Is it sXe specific? No, but it will touch on world culture from time to time.

I really don't have a belief perse but I find it very interesting.
Most of my research has been done on the internet and some
with teens in my local. The article will not be judgemental at all, we try to write about things from everyones perspective in a strictly journalistic fashion.

I hope this answers a little. Thanks a lot for the responses!

straightXed
12-22-2004, 11:52 AM
so what sort of thing do you want to know?

xsecx
12-22-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by ToR-MoD
The website will cover rock music (all genres), models and social commentary. It will have other features as well (band profiles, forum. personals). Is it sXe specific? No, but it will touch on world culture from time to time.

I really don't have a belief perse but I find it very interesting.
Most of my research has been done on the internet and some
with teens in my local. The article will not be judgemental at all, we try to write about things from everyones perspective in a strictly journalistic fashion.

I hope this answers a little. Thanks a lot for the responses!

yeah, but what I am asking first is what you think straight edge is based on the research you've already done. IF you find it interesting the clearly you would have had to formed an opinion on it and must have an idea.

ToR-MoD
12-26-2004, 10:08 PM
From what I understand, Being sXe is to choose a lifestyle without drugs / alchohol / cigs and indiscriminate sex. It was originally defined in a song by punk (core) band Minor Threat
and is typically a counter culture to the "Out Of Control" behavior of the punk and hardcore music scene.

To live a lifestyle such as this has to be commended. Especially in the hardcore or punk culture.

However, I have read some articles and forum discussions that seem to give a negative impression on the culture by stating that some sXe resort to violence when someone not of the culture disagrees with the sXe point of view.

I know cases like these are isolated and probably blown way out of contour but none the less they bring up the question as to how far one will take their beliefs.

These are issues that exist in a lot of sub-cultures not only sXe and I think it kind of sucks when we read only that side of it.

As far as my opinion goes all I can say is that I myself believe in sticking true to who your are no matter what choices you make in life but have the humanity to let others be as well. All in all from what I have read thus far, I think it's a great philosophy to live by especially in todays world.

What I would basically like to know is what being sXe is all about for you as individuals and maybe share some of the positives and negatives you may have encountered. What lead you choose the sXe lifestyle? How devoted are you to it and so forth..

Thanks!