PDA

View Full Version : explaining straight edge to others

xdaddydaycorex
09-07-2004, 01:15 PM
i'm wearing my sxe.com "straight edge " T today at work...getting, as usual, lots of questions. "Cool shirt, is that a band?" etc....
What is your standard answer to people that ask "What is Straight Edge?"....i usually say it's a clean living lifestyle.

straightXed
09-07-2004, 03:11 PM
I don't have a usual response for this, sometimes i act all shocked in total disbeleif that they don't know what it is and proceed to wind them up about not knowing that straightedge is the hugest sensation to hit plannet earth or i tell them genuinely what it is and about hardcore and try my best to give a very informative answer. I might just lie and say its about hetrosexual power and the fight to stay straight and see how serious they take me, but for the quick answer i'd go with something like what you said. You see its even harder for me as i have to distinguish the difference between the hardcore we listen to and techno hardcore as thats what hardcore is here, the hardcore we listen to is alien to people here pretty much.

noman
09-21-2004, 03:00 PM
hmm well........i dont explain shit to them....it easier to say go look it up and check back to me when u think u know.

straightXed
09-21-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by noman
hmm well........i dont explain shit to them....it easier to say go look it up and check back to me when u think u know.

well i mean i'm not that rude :)

noman
09-21-2004, 03:12 PM
theyre usually askin me outa sarcasm though....like o ur edge ( knowing perfectly what it is) and they still ask.

straightXed
09-21-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by noman
theyre usually askin me outa sarcasm though....like o ur edge ( knowing perfectly what it is) and they still ask.

yeah well thats a different situation to the one in the initial post but a lot of people would get a different idea what edge is due to the ammount of misinformation out there.

noman
09-21-2004, 03:29 PM
damn u misinformation.......and i realize that and i correct myself.

sabresnmets
10-03-2004, 12:39 AM
yeah people always find the need to tell me that i cant have chocolates, and they wont listen to me. its so damn anoying. i hate stupid people.

xdaddydaycorex
10-03-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by sabresnmets
yeah people always find the need to tell me that i cant have chocolates, and they wont listen to me. its so damn anoying. i hate stupid people.

why do people tell you not to have chocolate?

FxYxIxE
10-03-2004, 02:26 PM
If I can tell a person really doesn't know about straight edge, then I will explain to them the 3 ground rules. Tell them about how it became what it has today, and tell them if they want to know I suggest they look it up and read all about it.

I've had people tell me I couldn't cuss, had to be religous, and all kinds of other fucked up shit, or I wasn't a true straight edge. I then come back with, "so, you must be straight edge, right? Cause you seem to act like you know a lot more then I do, and I've been straight edge for 7 years now." It usually shut them up real quick or they say something even more stupid and everyone around laughs at them for being stupid. Then if they didn't come back with something stupid, I'll tell them they have been missinformed and tell them what it really means.

It has really suprised me how many people really don't know anything about straight edge. I mean for how long this has been around and people still just don't have a clue as to what is. And then these fucks that become straight edge for a week or two, and then give it up cause it's to hard. How hard is it to keep yourself clean and free of drugs and what about life commitment didn't they get? Fuck these bitches anyways!

Chocolate has caffeine in it, caffeine is a drug, but most straight edgers still eat chocolate witch is alright, I guess. But some such as myself do not eat chocolate, or drink anything with caffeine in it. It's just further step you can take being straight edge, but it isn't a reqiurment.

xsecx
10-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by FxYxIxE

Chocolate has caffeine in it, caffeine is a drug, but most straight edgers still eat chocolate witch is alright, I guess. But some such as myself do not eat chocolate, or drink anything with caffeine in it. It's just further step you can take being straight edge, but it isn't a reqiurment.

Do you eat anything with soy sauce or vanilla extract? Or any extract for that matter. Do you drink orange juice or any kind of juice? the amount of caffiene that is in a chocolate bar is less than the amount in a cup of decaf coffee.

straightXed
10-03-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by FxYxIxE

It has really suprised me how many people really don't know anything about straight edge. I mean for how long this has been around and people still just don't have a clue as to what is. And then these fucks that become straight edge for a week or two, and then give it up cause it's to hard. How hard is it to keep yourself clean and free of drugs and what about life commitment didn't they get? Fuck these bitches anyways!

If people not knowing anything about edge supprises you then what about people not knowing about countless other sub cultures that are a lot older?

veganedge
10-05-2004, 05:00 PM
I just tell them the 4 common groundrules (no smoking cigarettes, no drinking alcohol, no using illegal drugs, no promiscuos sex)

xsecx
10-05-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by veganedge
I just tell them the 4 common groundrules (no smoking cigarettes, no drinking alcohol, no using illegal drugs, no promiscuos sex)

I would disagree with you on the idea of 4 common ground rules. especially the sex part.

straightXed
10-05-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by xsecx
I would disagree with you on the idea of 4 common ground rules. especially the sex part.

likewise

Sean The Red
10-05-2004, 10:05 PM
I generally just tell people that it means no drugs, including alcohol and nicotine; and that some people take it further than that.

I am beginning to think a pamphlet is needed, or maybe just a hand bill. A document that can explain it for us, so that we dont have to say the same thing over and over.

xJoeyNormalx
10-06-2004, 01:26 AM

Is this when someone quote Out Of Step?

xsecx
10-06-2004, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by xJoeyNormalx
Is this when someone quote Out Of Step?

that's generally where it goes. but no one has answered me as to where the line is.

xdaddydaycorex
10-06-2004, 12:08 PM
but no one has answered me as to where the line is. [/B]

the line of being out of step or breaking edge?

xsecx
10-06-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by XracerX
the line of being out of step or breaking edge?

breaking edge in terms of sex.

xdaddydaycorex
10-06-2004, 04:29 PM
breaking edge in terms of sex.

ah. good question. not sure.
but anonymous_sex would definately break edge in my book, i.e. sex at a club with someone you just met the same night. i've seen people getting it on in bathroom stalls at clubs and that's got to be crossing the line, unless they are in a realationship and just get off on that kinda of stuff.
i guess i would say sex outside of monogomy is getting close to the line.

xsecx
10-06-2004, 04:34 PM
ah. good question. not sure.
but anonymous_sex would definately break edge in my book, i.e. sex at a club with someone you just met the same night. i've seen people getting it on in bathroom stalls at clubs and that's got to be crossing the line, unless they are in a realationship and just get off on that kinda of stuff.
i guess i would say sex outside of monogomy is getting close to the line.

so I meet someone. i fall in love with them instantly. and we have sex and something happens the next day and I never see them again, I broke edge?

xdaddydaycorex
10-06-2004, 04:40 PM
so I meet someone. i fall in love with them instantly. and we have sex and something happens the next day and I never see them again, I broke edge?

yeah broke and never sxe again!!!

....no like i said not really sure...kinda thinking the whole no sex part of edge is quite pesonal and circumstantial, but ....if you dont know the person or love them or even like them and you still have sex.....???...you tell me ...what do you think about that.

xdaddydaycorex
10-06-2004, 04:41 PM
i've know guys that have sex just to say they fucked this chick or that chick, it becomes more of a game than any real emotional connection. i dont know if that would be breakin' edge...but i definately dont think it very cool.

straightXed
10-06-2004, 05:03 PM
i've know guys that have sex just to say they fucked this chick or that chick, it becomes more of a game than any real emotional connection. i dont know if that would be breakin' edge...but i definately dont think it very cool.

sounds like to much of a grey area to be a solid point to me, i can understand abstaining from any negative effects from promiscuity or a lack of honesty in relationships but beyond that i see it as a restriction on your personal emotional and physical desires. Some people aren't going to want a permanent relationship and if two concenting adults want to have sex i don't see how that alone is negative, its only when people start being asses about it and screwing people over and thats something that is way to specific to have as a rule, its jerry springer territory or something. My personal slant on it is there is not a no sex rule with being straight edge as its just way to misconstrued but i think that self respect is a vital quality to have.

xdaddydaycorex
10-06-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by straightXed
sounds like to much of a grey area to be a solid point to me, i can understand abstaining from any negative effects from promiscuity or a lack of honesty in relationships but beyond that i see it as a restriction on your personal emotional and physical desires. Some people aren't going to want a permanent relationship and if two concenting adults want to have sex i don't see how that alone is negative, its only when people start being asses about it and screwing people over and thats something that is way to specific to have as a rule, its jerry springer territory or something. My personal slant on it is there is not a no sex rule with being straight edge as its just way to misconstrued but i think that self respect is a vital quality to have.

i concur.
sex + consent = still edge
drugs and alcohol = no edge (break edge)

xsecx
10-06-2004, 05:19 PM

yeah, but there is tons of stuff that isn't cool that has nothing to do with edge. I mean gambling isn't smart, but it's got nothing to do with edge.

xdaddydaycorex
10-06-2004, 05:21 PM
yeah, but there is tons of stuff that isn't cool that has nothing to do with edge. I mean gambling isn't smart, but it's got nothing to do with edge.

right...it's not cool. but it doesnt break edge either.

sabresnmets
10-06-2004, 05:21 PM
i kinda feel that way when it comes to caffeine, i know its not a lot, but it goes along with the whole sex thing. theres a little bit of caffiene in chocolate. and in my snapple that i love so much.

xsecx
10-06-2004, 05:22 PM
i kinda feel that way when it comes to caffeine, i know its not a lot, but it goes along with the whole sex thing. theres a little bit of caffiene in chocolate. and in my snapple that i love so much.

dude. there's a lot of caffiene in snapple.

sabresnmets
10-06-2004, 05:30 PM
right but what about shit like chocolate. i know theres a miniscule amount of caffeine in it but theres a whole grey area as well

xsecx
10-06-2004, 05:54 PM
right but what about shit like chocolate. i know theres a miniscule amount of caffeine in it but theres a whole grey area as well

not really. if there isn't enough of it to effect you it's not really grey compared to an amount that will. like there is alcohol in vanilla extract, orange juice and soy sauce but it's not enough to effect you. so it'd be like eating some soy sauce vs drinking a beer.

straightXed
10-06-2004, 06:08 PM
not really. if there isn't enough of it to effect you it's not really grey compared to an amount that will. like there is alcohol in vanilla extract, orange juice and soy sauce but it's not enough to effect you. so it'd be like eating some soy sauce vs drinking a beer.

I sometimes feel a bit light headed at petrol/gas stations, have i broken edge?

xsecx
10-06-2004, 06:10 PM

was this before or after you shot it into a bag and put that bag over your head?

xdaddydaycorex
10-06-2004, 06:16 PM
i love the smell of gasoline

sabresnmets
10-07-2004, 12:26 AM
you know what? i drink snapple and im stil edge, cause i said so. there.

straightXed
10-07-2004, 01:37 AM
was this before or after you shot it into a bag and put that bag over your head?

i can't remember i was fairly drunk at the time.

xsecx
10-07-2004, 07:23 AM
you know what? i drink snapple and im stil edge, cause i said so. there.

just to play devils advocate what would you say to someone who said that and drank just 1 beer a day?

SgtD
10-07-2004, 07:57 AM
just to play devils advocate what would you say to someone who said that and drank just 1 beer a day?
that he's ignorant, maybe? or how about this"you're a tool!"

veganedge
10-07-2004, 09:49 PM
would disagree with you on the idea of 4 common ground rules. especially the sex part.

Why? I didn't say you couldn't have sex... I just said crazy promiscuos sex... like club scene, meet somebody that you don't really like or love, just to have sex and get off. It's addicting too. I don't think there are many straightedge kids like that, but I would think it was edge breaking. But I know many sxe kidsd who don't think so, not sure why... It's pretty negative to have unsafe promiscuos sex, pretty dangerous too. I personally compare it to drugs, but that's me personally.

veganedge
10-07-2004, 09:54 PM

I agree with xracerx that it is a pretty grey area... I mean you take it to whatever you want. Just like some vegans eat dumpstered food that isn't vegan because nobody bought it (if it came from a manufacturing facility) so no money goes towards supporting cruelty. Yes, they are not eating a vegan diet at the time, but are they still vegan? Like do they still live veganism as a lifestyle by supporting good and not supporting evil? Whatever....

veganedge
10-07-2004, 09:56 PM

So what about people who snort a tiny bit of coke??? Or people who drink a shot of beer??? Or people that smoke just roaches of other people, tiny bit that doesn't effecct them?

straightXed
10-08-2004, 01:40 AM
Why? I didn't say you couldn't have sex... I just said crazy promiscuos sex... like club scene, meet somebody that you don't really like or love, just to have sex and get off. It's addicting too. I don't think there are many straightedge kids like that, but I would think it was edge breaking. But I know many sxe kidsd who don't think so, not sure why... It's pretty negative to have unsafe promiscuos sex, pretty dangerous too. I personally compare it to drugs, but that's me personally.

yeah its you personally so why lump it in with straightedge?

sabresnmets
10-08-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by SgtD
that he's ignorant, maybe? or how about this"you're a tool!"

are you calling me ignorant?

sabresnmets
10-08-2004, 07:24 PM

are you seriously gonna tell me that a snapple is as bad as a beer? cause your going a little crazy.

xsecx
10-08-2004, 08:45 PM
are you seriously gonna tell me that a snapple is as bad as a beer? cause your going a little crazy.

neither will have much of effect on you. so why is one bad but the other isn't?

http://www.nsda.org/WhatsIn/caffeinecontent.html

sabresnmets
10-08-2004, 09:41 PM
cause alcohol killed my mother, is slowly killing my sister and father. caffiene didnt.

xsecx
10-08-2004, 09:51 PM
cause alcohol killed my mother, is slowly killing my sister and father. caffiene didnt.

alcohol abuse maybe. 1 beer doesn't equate to abuse, does it? 1 glass of wine? cocaine didn't kill your family, would it still be ok if it was in coke? What about pot? 1 pot brownie isn't going to hurt you. There isn't a positive aspect to caffiene use. There isn't a legitmate reason to consume it at the level you want to, and at the level you do, it is in fact effecting you and is in fact a drug.

sabresnmets
10-08-2004, 10:04 PM
ok so what then, about chocolate? it has caffiene in it.

xsecx
10-08-2004, 10:11 PM
ok so what then, about chocolate? it has caffiene in it.

a bar of chocolate has 3 mg of caffiene in it. a 16 oz bottle of snapple has 42 mg. a decaf cup of coffee has 4. the amount of caffiene in chocolate is negligible. just like the amount of alcohol in soy sauce.

sabresnmets
10-08-2004, 10:16 PM
ok so caffiene free snapple has like four grams of caffiene.

veganedge
10-10-2004, 03:46 PM
yeah its you personally so why lump it in with straightedge?

it's not just me... drug free and straightedge are completely different... you're not sxe if you are just drug free.... eventhough I get the feeling most of you guys disagree.

xsecx
10-10-2004, 05:29 PM
it's not just me... drug free and straightedge are completely different... you're not sxe if you are just drug free.... eventhough I get the feeling most of you guys disagree.

what makes you think that most of us would disagree?

straightXed
10-10-2004, 05:55 PM

i also say that drug free and straight edge are completely different but the whole no sex thing is complete bollocks, i mean you have people saying no promiscuous sex, no sex out of wed lock, no sex full stop , no sex unless you love them, no promiscuous penetrative sex, no sex on tuesdays, no sex unless i'm getting some. And then you have all the different varients of peoples personal stances, like what constitutes love or promiscuity, and then theres polygamous marriages and so much grey area. If you had a universal definition of this for all straightedgers then what would it be? Its personal so why lump it in with straightedge. Some people would consider going from one sexual partner to another quite slutty or promiscuous but it could turn out that that person only ever has 2 sexual partners, do you really beleive that people are likely to love all their sexual partners, depends on your definition of love, i mean you can pick holes in all the different definitions of what different people consider promiscuous forever. However there is a universal idea of no drinking, i mean we could start being less conclusive with that and so straightedge is no binge drinking, a social drink is fine and it just becomes ridiculous.

xdaddydaycorex
10-12-2004, 01:09 PM

my wife, my parents and most of my family are drug free ...none of them are sXe.

slinkysRrad
10-13-2004, 10:05 AM
I need one of you to explain to my school what straight edge is. Everyone's like, "I'm straight edge. Oh yes." And I'm like, "No, you're drug free you little wierdo's." They don't think there is a difference. It makes me very frusterated. Yup. This one girl is writing an article about it in our school newspaper, but she knows nothing about it. I had to explain everything to her.

veganedge
10-14-2004, 11:04 PM
what makes you think that most of us would disagree?

Just from reading previous posts and the reactions, can't really site specific examples....

i also say that drug free and straight edge are completely different but the whole no sex thing is complete bollocks

once again, I didn't say no sex

Its personal so why lump it in with straightedge

it's not personal, it's been in there since the coining of the term "straightedge". When did it all of a sudden turn to personal.

my wife, my parents and most of my family are drug free ...none of them are sXe

ok, so you don't disagree.....

xaspirinx
11-03-2004, 03:43 PM
hmm.....not standard but the standard explanation for totally drunken footballers

footballer:"What's straight edge?"
xxx: "that means, I'm a really boring person, don't drink, don't smoke, don't take any other drugs and don't have promiscuos sex (-and I'm into hardcore-). Don't waste your time by getting to know me." -----> silence-----> inconceivability
or if you just mentioned the word "hardcore"
(-footballer:"well, that's for sure that you're into hardcore porns if you reject any other pleasure."-)

..*hihi*...*cry*...

Sean The Red
11-04-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by xaspirinx
hmm.....not standard but the standard explanation for totally drunken footballers

footballer:"What's straight edge?"
xxx: "that means, I'm a really boring person, don't drink, don't smoke, don't take any other drugs and don't have promiscuos sex (-and I'm into hardcore-). Don't waste your time by getting to know me." -----> silence-----> inconceivability
or if you just mentioned the word "hardcore"
(-footballer:"well, that's for sure that you're into hardcore porns if you reject any other pleasure."-)

..*hihi*...*cry*...

The last time I told a girl I was Straight Edge, I went through the whole list, and got to being into 'Hardcore.' She gave me this look like I was a pervert, and it was a bit until I realized I take forgranted that we think of music, she didn't.

SgtD
11-04-2004, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by Sean The Red
The last time I told a girl I was Straight Edge, I went through the whole list, and got to being into 'Hardcore.' She gave me this look like I was a pervert, and it was a bit until I realized I take forgranted that we think of music, she didn't.
the good thing about hungary is that noone is thinking of hardcore porn when hardcore is mentioned, but they think of techno shit music. it's annoying but at least noone thinks i'm a pervert (sitting here with a new york hardcore shirt haha)

xaspirinx
11-04-2004, 04:54 AM
well..the problem is really not just explaining straight edge...the next problem is (if you mentioned "hardcore" AND it's clear that you talk about music)...how to explain a "normal" human being why you listen to hardcore (or even worse grindcore) at all...for most of them it's just accoustic rape....:)

xsecx
11-04-2004, 07:57 AM
well..the problem is really not just explaining straight edge...the next problem is (if you mentioned "hardcore" AND it's clear that you talk about music)...how to explain a "normal" human being why you listen to hardcore (or even worse grindcore) at all...for most of them it's just accoustic rape....:)

"my music reflects my soul. I'm an angry angry person"

SgtD
11-04-2004, 08:13 AM
why explain? i don't fucking care about who likes what i listen to and who doesn't.

Sean The Red
11-04-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by SgtD
the good thing about hungary is that noone is thinking of hardcore porn when hardcore is mentioned, but they think of techno shit music. it's annoying but at least noone thinks i'm a pervert (sitting here with a new york hardcore shirt haha)

centuries of prudish christian family values have made america a nation of closet perversion.

xsecx
11-04-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Sean The Red
centuries of prudish christian family values have made america a nation of closet perversion.

explain japan then.