PDA

View Full Version : sinister vibe

myXlastXcaressX
08-24-2004, 11:16 AM
hey everyone. If you don't mind, i'd like to get your oppinion on my band, sinister vibe. We're not concidered hardcore by people around here, but we dont mind...I just want to know what you think of our music for only beeing freshmen and sophmores in high school. I'm the guitarist, just in case you were wondering. Thank you

http://sinistervibe.i8.com/images/band2.jpg
sinister vibe's website here (http://sinistervibe.i8.com)

straightXed
08-24-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by myXlastXcaressX
hey everyone. If you don't mind, i'd like to get your oppinion on my band, sinister vibe. We're not concidered hardcore by people around here, but we dont mind...I just want to know what you think of our music for only beeing freshmen and sophmores in high school. I'm the guitarist, just in case you were wondering. Thank you

http://sinistervibe.i8.com/images/band2.jpg
sinister vibe's website here (http://sinistervibe.i8.com)

I'll be nice about it, that was awful.

Dummy
08-24-2004, 11:42 AM
ouch that was a bit harsh

in my opinion instrumentally it was decent, what bugged me was the vocals, it seemed like the volume was cranked up for him rather than him projecting his voice but keep practicing and see where it goes

straightXed
08-24-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Dummy

in my opinion instrumentally it was decent, what bugged me was the vocals, it seemed like the volume was cranked up for him rather than him projecting his voice but keep practicing and see where it goes

that was me being nice as well as honest, the guitar and bass was sloppy the drums were weak and the vocals were lousy. If thats the quality of what they intend to put out on a cd then i would be ashamed. It sounds like it was recorded on a dictaphone under a matress, no level control, no depth. I've had bands that have sounded as bad but i wouldn't let anyone listen, i knew it was bad and i think its best that these people know its bad also, but like you say - practice practice practice.

Dummy
08-24-2004, 11:57 AM
i glad you atleast said what was awful about it. opinions are one thing and insults are another.

straightXed
08-24-2004, 12:02 PM
i glad you atleast said what was awful about it. opinions are one thing and insults are another.

well there was never an insult on anything, i said it was awful and that was an opinion based on what they gave me. if you ask for opinions you can't expect everyone to be saying they liked it but if you are going to take it as an insult then i suggest never asking peoples opinions.

myXlastXcaressX
08-24-2004, 12:04 PM

in my opinion instrumentally it was decent, what bugged me was the vocals, it seemed like the volume was cranked up for him rather than him projecting his voice but keep practicing and see where it goes thanks for the comment...at least that one helps a little bit... i mean...its not like we're a big professional band that has enough money to make it into a studio...we need to sell c.d's in order to get the money to make it into the studio. we sound good live...if only we had some fans that were sxe, you could ask them their oppinions on us live compared to c.d.

myXlastXcaressX
08-24-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by straightXed
well there was never an insult on anything, i said it was awful and that was an opinion based on what they gave me. if you ask for opinions you can't expect everyone to be saying they liked it but if you are going to take it as an insult then i suggest never asking peoples opinions. we werent looking for all great oppinions...like you said...we were looking for what we could improve on...and what types of people like the music

Dummy
08-24-2004, 12:08 PM
well there was never an insult on anything, i said it was awful and that was an opinion based on what they gave me. if you ask for opinions you can't expect everyone to be saying they liked it but if you are going to take it as an insult then i suggest never asking peoples opinions.

well if someone asks for opinion and they're told its shitty im sure they would want to know why its shitty

Dummy
08-24-2004, 12:11 PM
thanks for the comment...at least that one helps a little bit... i mean...its not like we're a big professional band that has enough money to make it into a studio...we need to sell c.d's in order to get the money to make it into the studio. we sound good live...if only we had some fans that were sxe, you could ask them their oppinions on us live compared to c.d.

its one of those things where you need money to make CDs and you need CDs to make money. i all the band members getting the same job with the same hours so it dosen't interfere with practice and just save up for some studio time.

straightXed
08-24-2004, 12:13 PM
thanks for the comment...at least that one helps a little bit... i mean...its not like we're a big professional band that has enough money to make it into a studio...we need to sell c.d's in order to get the money to make it into the studio. we sound good live...if only we had some fans that were sxe, you could ask them their oppinions on us live compared to c.d.

i don't think them being sxe would sway me in anyway, i would like to know what you did record on, i have been in a load of bands and i know studio time is expensive but there are cheap ways to get your stuff recorded, we used to record live with some battered up old gear we picked up, drums is always a nightmare to mic up on the cheap but you should look into various recording techniques, i'm sure theres plenty on the net. I did look beyond the recording quality and think that you could be a hell of a lot tighter as a band, its very sloppy. You might want to rethink your plan of selling cd's to get into the studio, how much profit are you looking to make on your cd's, what studios have you looked at, some places offer pretty good rates for studio time, i was in a six peice and we all chipped in for 2 days in a quality professional studio and it worked out at £45 each, we had connections but its not as bad as people make out.

straightXed
08-24-2004, 12:16 PM
well if someone asks for opinion and they're told its shitty im sure they would want to know why its shitty

and i have never not been forth coming about telling them, in fact i wasn't even prompted by anyone, but nonetheless saying its shitty is still an opinion.

Dummy
08-24-2004, 12:20 PM
i don't think them being sxe would sway me in anyway, i would like to know what you did record on, i have been in a load of bands and i know studio time is expensive but there are cheap ways to get your stuff recorded, we used to record live with some battered up old gear we picked up, drums is always a nightmare to mic up on the cheap but you should look into various recording techniques, i'm sure theres plenty on the net. I did look beyond the recording quality and think that you could be a hell of a lot tighter as a band, its very sloppy. You might want to rethink your plan of selling cd's to get into the studio, how much profit are you looking to make on your cd's, what studios have you looked at, some places offer pretty good rates for studio time, i was in a six peice and we all chipped in for 2 days in a quality professional studio and it worked out at £45 each, we had connections but its not as bad as people make out.

oh yeah dude i totally agree. another thing is just to ask around. theres always someone who knows someone. a girl i work with has a brother that owns a record label. but i think practice should be his biggest concern. not CDs yet.

myXlastXcaressX
08-24-2004, 12:21 PM
i don't think them being sxe would sway me in anyway, i would like to know what you did record on, i have been in a load of bands and i know studio time is expensive but there are cheap ways to get your stuff recorded, we used to record live with some battered up old gear we picked up, drums is always a nightmare to mic up on the cheap but you should look into various recording techniques, i'm sure theres plenty on the net. I did look beyond the recording quality and think that you could be a hell of a lot tighter as a band, its very sloppy. You might want to rethink your plan of selling cd's to get into the studio, how much profit are you looking to make on your cd's, what studios have you looked at, some places offer pretty good rates for studio time, i was in a six peice and we all chipped in for 2 days in a quality professional studio and it worked out at £45 each, we had connections but its not as bad as people make out. we used, at that time, a used tascam 4-track tape recorder. On that spacific c.d. we made around $300, at $3 a piece...(thats 100 c.d's for you slow people) but thats only cuz we sold them at a show where we played live...we looked at local studios...the cheapest one was like $350 for 1 week and copywright pretection...all that good stuff...but we just baught a $300 digital track recorder...and since i basically have no freakin life, i can sit in front of my computer and touch up the quality...so far its worked pretty good...i guess we're just lucky there arent very many good artists in our area

straightXed
08-24-2004, 12:29 PM
we used, at that time, a used tascam 4-track tape recorder. On that spacific c.d. we made around $300, at $3 a piece...(thats 100 c.d's for you slow people) but thats only cuz we sold them at a show where we played live...we looked at local studios...the cheapest one was like $350 for 1 week and copywright pretection...all that good stuff...but we just baught a $300 digital track recorder...and since i basically have no freakin life, i can sit in front of my computer and touch up the quality...so far its worked pretty good...i guess we're just lucky there arent very many good artists in our area

you should learn to use the 4-track better, pinning levels and all that crap, what mics did you use?

so how much did you make on the cd's in profit after you covered costs?

As you are recording yourselves you would really benifit on learning as much as you can on recording techniques, in the long run it can be a really good move as studios can often have engineers making things not quite how you want them. Decent mics is the key as well as where you are recording, accoustics plays more of a part that i would ever have thought. really listen to how other bands are recorded.

$350 is pretty good for a week, you should go for it, if you play well live a week would be plenty of time.

straightXed
08-24-2004, 12:30 PM
oh yeah dude i totally agree. another thing is just to ask around. theres always someone who knows someone. a girl i work with has a brother that owns a record label. but i think practice should be his biggest concern. not CDs yet.

yes practice goes without saying, lots of it.

xvunderx
08-24-2004, 12:42 PM
I tried listening, but the site wasn't working or something, non of the songs would play for me?

Ironicly as soon as i type this, it starts to work.

xvunderx
08-24-2004, 12:49 PM
it kinda reminds me of Sabbath that kinda thing. Like old 70's metal.

xsecx
08-25-2004, 08:06 AM
this has nothing to do with how you sound since I haven't listened to you, but you might want to honestly consider changing your name. Especially since none of you look sinister and one of you looks like he probably gets wedgies and noogies daily.