PDA

View Full Version : afi question

painplusone
07-07-2004, 12:45 PM
in the video for "girls not grey" (i think) the guy puts a big x on the back of his hand before he goes to a show and into the pit. is afi truly a sxe band or was it included because it's becoming more mainstream? i like afi but wouldn't call them a hardcore band which i think is the main qualification for being a sxe band.

xkrewx
07-07-2004, 04:03 PM
AFI is not hardcore band.a few members are.I think they think they are hardcore.And no,that was the leaving song.

painplusone
07-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by xkrewx
And no,that was the leaving song.

my mistake. i was pondering this question last night and remembered that the word straightedge was mentioned in Crop Tub off the cd Very Proud of Ya(1996).

"you can always claim you're straightedge, go ahead and dye your hair. you won't get more attention from me, 'cause i will never fucking care."

xgregx
07-08-2004, 04:04 PM
a couple of the guys in AFI are straightedge.

sabresnmets
08-01-2004, 10:08 AM
i like afi. regardless of straightedge or not.

ThursdayX
08-01-2004, 12:04 PM
I rember listening to AFI before they became "really" big. Now I just hate them... alot.

That video was a sic show. My cousion's friend went there. He said something like people where danceing while shooting out pepper spray. The cop's came. Major fight's. Something like that.

sabresnmets
08-01-2004, 12:39 PM
you hate them cause they're big or cause their music changed?

ThursdayX
08-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Both.

I lean more toward's there big though. You have elemntary kid's in hot topic going "Oh my god! A AFI shirt! Ahh! There soooo cute! Mommy! Can I get it! PLEASE!!"

Just....errr.

DcDuckee
08-01-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by ThursdayX
Both.

I lean more toward's there big though. You have elemntary kid's in hot topic going "Oh my god! A AFI shirt! Ahh! There soooo cute! Mommy! Can I get it! PLEASE!!"

Just....errr.

that shouldnt stop you from liking a band though

ThursdayX
08-01-2004, 01:10 PM
Yeah Yeah Yeah. i know. But listen to there music now compared to there old stuff. People like them, Everytime I Die, Eighteen Vision's. Ruin the hardcore label. there really not even that core. There old stuff I loved. The new stuff is shit and all it doe's is trash the scene.

sabresnmets
08-01-2004, 01:32 PM
i like them cause i like theyre music, not cause they ruined the scene. they make good music, and thats good enough for me.

AFuzziBunni
08-15-2004, 12:27 AM
I've listened to AFI for going on 7 years now and I love their musical progression (that's why you make music, to grow as a band and progress with your sound). But I kinda also have an issue with the 10-12 year olds going to hot topic and sporting AFI stuff...I guess it's because I loved the band before they got mainstream and it's kinda a sentimental thing. But you have to start at some age and I'm glad these young kids have found a band as amazing as AFI. That's my two cents if anyone cares.

p.s. Davey Havok has been straight edge for 13 years or so but AFI is not a straight edge band.

sabresnmets
08-20-2004, 11:17 PM
i care

xXCreepy~SixXx
09-14-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by AFuzziBunni
I've listened to AFI for going on 7 years now and I love their musical progression (that's why you make music, to grow as a band and progress with your sound). But I kinda also have an issue with the 10-12 year olds going to hot topic and sporting AFI stuff...I guess it's because I loved the band before they got mainstream and it's kinda a sentimental thing. But you have to start at some age and I'm glad these young kids have found a band as amazing as AFI. That's my two cents if anyone cares.

p.s. Davey Havok has been straight edge for 13 years or so but AFI is not a straight edge band.

yea what this person said...

Sean The Red
09-15-2004, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by DcDuckee
that shouldnt stop you from liking a band though

Why not, their seal of approval for consumerism does as much to define them, as their music does. How legitimate is it to say you like a band but not what they stand for, you cant pick and choose how to support them.

xsecx
09-15-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Sean The Red
Why not, their seal of approval for consumerism does as much to define them, as their music does. How legitimate is it to say you like a band but not what they stand for, you cant pick and choose how to support them.

how does being popular equate to this? how does the number of people listening to them equate to a seal of approval for consumerism that wasn't always there?

xdaddydaycorex
09-15-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by xsecx
how does being popular equate to this? how does the number of people listening to them equate to a seal of approval for consumerism that wasn't always there?

this whole "they are popular, so they sold out" shit has always made me laugh. i mean what the fuck? just because a band becomes big/successful/popular does not mean they have nessesarily bowed down to consumerism. this reaction is just an easy way to dismiss a band you thought was cool when no one else was listening to them and this in turn made you think You were somehow cooler than all these people who didn't like them or had never heard of them , but once everyone started to get into the band and you started seeing them on mtv and you see kids you think are lame wearing their t shirts you realized your elitist notion of coolness had been shatterd. well get over it. you were never cooler than the kids anyway, you only wanted to be different and now you see you're not.

the "you" mentioned above is not intended to be any particular person ( i.e. sean) but only a term for those (and there are many) who have had this common reaction to underground bands making it big.

Sean The Red
09-15-2004, 10:25 PM

I'm not saying its because they popular, its because they put their stuff in Hot Topic.

Sean The Red
09-15-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by atomicLP
this whole "they are popular, so they sold out" shit has always made me laugh. i mean what the fuck? just because a band becomes big/successful/popular does not mean they have nessesarily bowed down to consumerism. this reaction is just an easy way to dismiss a band you thought was cool when no one else was listening to them and this in turn made you think You were somehow cooler than all these people who didn't like them or had never heard of them , but once everyone started to get into the band and you started seeing them on mtv and you see kids you think are lame wearing their t shirts you realized your elitist notion of coolness had been shatterd. well get over it. you were never cooler than the kids anyway, you only wanted to be different and now you see you're not.

the "you" mentioned above is not intended to be any particular person ( i.e. sean) but only a term for those (and there are many) who have had this common reaction to underground bands making it big.

NEGATIVE!
Just because a band gets big, doest mean that they need to go mainstream. Mail order catalogs via record labels are hardly difficult to find, and with the internet, its easier than ever to distribute your stuff without becoming the bitch of corporations.

xXCreepy~SixXx
09-15-2004, 11:06 PM

makes sence!

xdaddydaycorex
09-16-2004, 12:06 PM
NEGATIVE!
Just because a band gets big, doest mean that they need to go mainstream. Mail order catalogs via record labels are hardly difficult to find, and with the internet, its easier than ever to distribute your stuff without becoming the bitch of corporations.

define "mainstream".

xsecx
09-16-2004, 12:31 PM
I'm not saying its because they popular, its because they put their stuff in Hot Topic.

why does one store make a difference compared to many? so if I put stuff in 1000 independent stores Im' anti consumerism but ifI put it in 1 big chain with 500 stores I'm not? If you have anything for sale at any point, wouldn't that be pro consumerism?

straightXed
09-16-2004, 03:48 PM
why does one store make a difference compared to many? so if I put stuff in 1000 independent stores Im' anti consumerism but ifI put it in 1 big chain with 500 stores I'm not? If you have anything for sale at any point, wouldn't that be pro consumerism?

I know you can buy anti consumerism buttons

xdaddydaycorex
09-16-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by straightXed
I know you can buy anti consumerism buttons

dude that's some funny shit.

straightXed
09-16-2004, 05:30 PM
dude that's some funny shit.

nearly as funny as the kind of people that buy them.

xCodyx
09-27-2004, 11:19 AM
AFI used to be North Cal. Hardcore band. Davey Havok (Their lead singer) is Vegan, as well as being Straightedge.

SgtD
09-28-2004, 01:55 AM
yeah i think we all knew about that...

slinkysRrad
10-13-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by AFuzziBunni

Jade is straight edge as well. He's my idol.

And about the 11-12 year olds wearing afi shirts, I'm 13. Is it wrong that they're my favorite band because of my age? I don't think age has anything to do with music.

straightXed
10-13-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by slinkysRrad
Jade is straight edge as well. He's my idol.

And about the 11-12 year olds wearing afi shirts, I'm 13. Is it wrong that they're my favorite band because of my age? I don't think age has anything to do with music.

i think age has something to do with most things and i would say the fact you say he's your idol is relative to your age.

slinkysRrad
10-13-2004, 12:53 PM
i think age has something to do with most things and i would say the fact you say he's your idol is relative to your age.

Ok, I see your point. But why is it so bad for a band to go mainstream? It's not their fault Girl's not Grey was a hit. They did have music videos before that. They have one from like their second cd. It's just that none of the others were hits.

xsecx
10-13-2004, 01:11 PM
Ok, I see your point. But why is it so bad for a band to go mainstream? It's not their fault Girl's not Grey was a hit. They did have music videos before that. They have one from like their second cd. It's just that none of the others were hits.

bands don't go mainstream unless they want to go mainstream. it's an active pursuit.

it's also an active pursuit with their marketing and teen idolitry that has taken hold.

straightXed
10-13-2004, 04:04 PM

Its not bad to go mainstream, it pays well but like xsecx say's it is something intentional that people aim for. The worst thing is when a band won't admit to their intentions because lies would make them more marketable.

slinkysRrad
10-14-2004, 11:44 AM
Its not bad to go mainstream, it pays well but like xsecx say's it is something intentional that people aim for. The worst thing is when a band won't admit to their intentions because lies would make them more marketable.

Yes indeed. I'm sorry i got all defensive, but everyone is always tell me they suck now that they're mainstream.

SgtD
10-14-2004, 11:53 AM
Yes indeed. I'm sorry i got all defensive, but everyone is always tell me they suck now that they're mainstream.
because they made compromisation(i hope this is right or compromission?)

straightXed
10-14-2004, 12:11 PM

i never liked them personally

xsecx
10-14-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by SgtD
because they made compromisation(i hope this is right or compromission?)
no ation. just compromises

SgtD
10-14-2004, 12:52 PM
thanks. so if they make compromises in their lyrics it's not good
i thik some say they sold out because of this. in my opinion selling out means doing something you don't want to just to make more money

sabresnmets
10-15-2004, 10:59 PM
yeah if people change their direction, and sound and make a video that just attracts people and differs from theyre original sound, thats selling out. i still like afi though.

straightXed
10-16-2004, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by sabresnmets
yeah if people change their direction, and sound and make a video that just attracts people and differs from theyre original sound, thats selling out. i still like afi though.

what if there intitial goal was to continuously evolve there sound to something fresh and new each time they record?

DcDuckee
10-16-2004, 09:41 AM
NOFX has a straightedge song and i think some straightedge members but they're not a straightedge band

sabresnmets
10-16-2004, 09:51 AM
what if there intitial goal was to continuously evolve there sound to something fresh and new each time they record?

"and sound and make a video that just attracts people"
is what i said but its not very clear. i meant that if people change their sound to go with whats popular.

SgtD
10-16-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by DcDuckee
NOFX has a straightedge song and i think some straightedge members but they're not a straightedge band

what the fuck?
i think this information is wrong.
i know all of them are vegetrian/vegan, but sxe not likely

sabresnmets
10-16-2004, 10:20 AM
i think they may have redun a straightedge song. not sure.

straightXed
10-16-2004, 04:04 PM
"and sound and make a video that just attracts people"
is what i said but its not very clear. i meant that if people change their sound to go with whats popular.

Yeah but what if what they do is change because thats their original intention and they then make money from it. It might look like they have changed in order to chase the money but they haven't, its probabal that they could be refered to as sell outs isn't it?

sabresnmets
10-16-2004, 04:43 PM
you know what? all this website does is argue, cant we all just get along?

straightXed
10-17-2004, 01:42 AM
you know what? all this website does is argue, cant we all just get along?

Jeez, i'm not arguing i'm asking questions. What is so wrong with that? But forget it, i won't ask in future.

xsecx
10-17-2004, 07:28 AM
Yeah but what if what they do is change because thats their original intention and they then make money from it. It might look like they have changed in order to chase the money but they haven't, its probabal that they could be refered to as sell outs isn't it?

yeah, but when you start showing up in teen magazines there's little chance that the change was for anything but money. afi has reached the same level as good charlotte in terms of teen idol-dom.

sabresnmets
10-17-2004, 05:07 PM
Jeez, i'm not arguing i'm asking questions. What is so wrong with that? But forget it, i won't ask in future.

oh dont be like that. i was just kidding. ask away.

straightXed
10-17-2004, 05:12 PM
oh dont be like that. i was just kidding. ask away.

already did, answer away.

sabresnmets
10-17-2004, 05:17 PM
oh yeah sorry.

sabresnmets
10-17-2004, 05:18 PM

well if they change their sound just to get popular then yes.

straightXed
10-17-2004, 05:44 PM
well if they change their sound just to get popular then yes.

i'm going home.

sabresnmets
10-18-2004, 06:57 PM
i'm going home.

ok y?