PDA

View Full Version : Perscription Drugs

xgregx
03-30-2004, 04:00 PM
hey guys, what does sXe believe about perscription drugs...because my allergies are fucking killing me...

straightXed
03-30-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by xshadowsfallx
hey guys, what does sXe believe about perscription drugs...because my allergies are fucking killing me...

what allergies do you have? i love how you gave straightedge a sentient embodiment. When my doc suggests a perscription i'm more than likely going to trust his opinion that i should be taking it to make me well.

xgregx
03-30-2004, 06:09 PM
I just have very bad allergies...I have about everything..Are you mocking me?

straightXed
03-30-2004, 06:18 PM
I just have very bad allergies...I have about everything..Are you mocking me?

not really, why?

xgregx
03-30-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by straightXed
not really, why?

"i love how you gave straightedge a sentient embodiment"

I don't understand that statement, because I am not very smart at all...

Riki
03-30-2004, 09:11 PM
Some straight edge types (often the more hardline members), take the whole no drugs thing a bit far, and dont take asprine when they have a headache.

But In My Opinion its more about not needing drugs to "enhance" your life, if your ill theres no reason not to take them to make u better, as long as u stop taking them once you are better.

Go fix your allegies young man!

edit: i think he meant cos sXe is more personal than organised, so its more *your* definitions of whats right/wrong than someone elses.

xgregx
03-30-2004, 09:14 PM
oh thanks man, I picked up some claritan today...

straightXed
03-31-2004, 05:56 AM
"i love how you gave straightedge a sentient embodiment"

I don't understand that statement, because I am not very smart at all...

it was in reference to this "what does sXe believe about perscription drugs" i just found it ammusing.

straightXed
03-31-2004, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by Riki
Some straight edge types (often the more hardline members), take the whole no drugs thing a bit far, and dont take asprine when they have a headache.

But In My Opinion its more about not needing drugs to "enhance" your life, if your ill theres no reason not to take them to make u better, as long as u stop taking them once you are better.

edit: i think he meant cos sXe is more personal than organised, so its more *your* definitions of whats right/wrong than someone elses.

hardline is a completely different subject to straightedge.

i what i meant in reference to your edit was he personalized sxe, like "what does sXe believe about perscription drugs" or what did sxe have for dinner or what does sxe believe is a good movie for me to watch. It was a lame little joke and nothing more.

xsecx
03-31-2004, 08:08 AM

why did you mention hardline?

Riki
03-31-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by xsecx
why did you mention hardline?

The more obscure rules such as no drugs including headache pills are usually followed by the more zealous hardline members, rather than normal edgers. (lol i almost said casual edgers).

StraightXed
Hardline isnt a faction of sXe, hardline is a position some people take, which means generally uncompromising, and often more forceful with their views. (not to be confused with militant).

xsecx
03-31-2004, 08:53 AM
The more obscure rules such as no drugs including headache pills are usually followed by the more zealous hardline members, rather than normal edgers. (lol i almost said casual edgers).

StraightXed
Hardline isnt a faction of sXe, hardline is a position some people take, which means generally uncompromising, and often more forceful with their views. (not to be confused with militant).

yeah. hardline isn't that. it is a group of people, it isn't a position people take. see above post about hardline.

Riki
03-31-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by xsecx
yeah. hardline isn't that. it is a group of people, it isn't a position people take. see above post about hardline.

Hardline is nothing specific to sXe. a person is hardline when they have "A firm, uncompromising policy or position." in this case relating to their beliefs. (dictionary defonition there).

U can have hardline christians, hardline fruitarians....

straightXed
03-31-2004, 10:23 AM

StraightXed

i know what hardline is but when a straight edge kid is talking about perscription drugs where does hardline come into it seing as its a seperate thing from straight edge. Hardline was its own movement with its own ideals not to be confused with straightedge

xsecx
03-31-2004, 10:53 AM
Hardline is nothing specific to sXe. a person is hardline when they have "A firm, uncompromising policy or position." in this case relating to their beliefs. (dictionary defonition there).

U can have hardline christians, hardline fruitarians....

uh, yeah it is. hardline is a defined thing within the subculture. if you use the term hardline within the context of straight edge it has a seperate and distinct meaning. go read the what is hardline post.

Riki
03-31-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by straightXed
i know what hardline is but when a straight edge kid is talking about perscription drugs where does hardline come into it seing as its a seperate thing from straight edge. Hardline was its own movement with its own ideals not to be confused with straightedge

Well... most straight edge people do the no sex/no drink/no drugs. However some do more, and dont do the medication, aspirine caffiene e.t.c

I was trying to point out that although some people dont use them, it doesnt mean that he cant. Then mentioned that denial of medication e.t.c was more common in more hardline people.

Using hardline in the dictionary/global term, to describe someone who is dedicated unchanging on there views.

Sorry xsecx but your wrong to correct me... As most average edgers dont give up things like medication. And hardline is a perfectly relevant term to describe a portion of straight edge people. Regardless of any other meanings of the word within the sXe culture.

xsecx
03-31-2004, 12:15 PM
Well... most straight edge people do the no sex/no drink/no drugs. However some do more, and dont do the medication, aspirine caffiene e.t.c

I was trying to point out that although some people dont use them, it doesnt mean that he cant. Then mentioned that denial of medication e.t.c was more common in more hardline people.

Using hardline in the dictionary/global term, to describe someone who is dedicated unchanging on there views.

Sorry xsecx but your wrong to correct me... As most average edgers dont give up things like medication. And hardline is a perfectly relevant term to describe a portion of straight edge people. Regardless of any other meanings of the word within the sXe culture.

except that used within this context it's incorrect. hardline is a defined thing already. going along your term of thought straight edge only means rulers and the context doesn't matter.

however within this context, there is a seperate albeit linked movement named hardline and to use the term hardline within the context of straight edge is to mention that group. again, go read the above post about hardline, because you are clearly without clue and further use of the term hardline will in fact cause more confusion regardless of what you think about how you're using it.

straightXed
03-31-2004, 02:55 PM

pointing it out was fine but when you said hardline you have to understand that they are people who also do the straightedge thing but then some, like xsecx said, you should read the hardline manifesto on the first page of the hardline thread.

to be a hardline straightedger using the dictionary definition is an odd concept. Like the uncompromising attitude of being hardline about something is fine but when you think of being a hardline straightedger do you think of someone who is also vegan for instance? I mean they are being no more straight edge than anyone else by this act and likewise with people who are silly enough to avoid needed medicinal drugs in the name of being straightedge, all they are doing is adding some personal beliefs they have arrived at on top and being hardline about those, all straightedgers are hardline until they sell out by the dictionary definition.

But the problem is there is a movement called hardline which is more than just straightedge and they are or at least were very hardline about there beliefs, so when you use that word in this context it does generally refer to that movement. Like you mentioning that "denial of medication e.t.c was more common in more hardline people" would, in the context used, refer to hardliners who follow the stringent manifesto and have beliefs about procreation and abbortion and diet etc. that are not present in straightedge. Anyway the hardline thread is sticky so give it a read and post any questions you have about it if they haven't been asked already.

Riki
03-31-2004, 08:00 PM
okay i see your points, the way i was using it was the generic term, which can be applied 2 a politician or a christian.

I.e A christian is someone who has beliefs. A hardlife christian is someone who has uncompromising beliefs and generally forces his beliefs on others (in a none violent way).

And i did read about the hardline straight edge movement, but wasnt reffering to it :)

Sorry for confusion.